Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

The Iso Zone

How to disable texture filter in old games ?

For discussions based on Windows games

How to disable texture filter in old games ?

Postby Garrom » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:23 am

Tested games Breath of Fire IV and Legacy of Kain : Blood Omen. Both games (and dozen of other games from that era) have VERY badly filtered textures that are extremely ugly. I just like sharp pixels all over the screen and this filtering prevents me to get my monitor full of big, sharp pixels. In my Intel HD Graphic settings is a setting to disallow texture filter and to rewrite settings of running programs. It must be somewhere else. It is not feature of texted games, it must be something within Windows. How can I disable this "global" texture filter?

Here is an image comparing psx version (unfiltered) and pc version (filtered).
Believe it or not but I like right one much more

HARDWARE
Laptop LENOVO Lenovo B50-80
My GPU : Intel Broadwell-U GT1 - Integrated Graphics
My CPU : Intel Pentium 3825U

ps. Please avoid responses in style "Why you want turn it off". I have my reasons and I like it.

Thanks.
-Garrom, the last gentle orc

Garrom 3

Custom Title: The Orc Shaman

Re: How to disable texture filter in old games ?

Postby Videogammer88 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:32 am

So I'm not alone, I also like my pixels sharp and clear. I always turn it off in all old games.

As for your question for pc games its a case by case scenario, have you played with the options try disabling antialiasing or maybe other options you might get the effect you want.

The one who loves obscure games.
Videogammer88 2

Postby rodion » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:47 am

Never heard of such setting...

But, if the game uses DirectX you can try using dgVoodoo 2. Under DirectX setting you have a Texturing option and can select "Force point sampled" which turns off texture filtering and gives you that pixelated look.

Edit: Just checked on Moby games, the games do use DirectX. Just download the latest version of dgVoodoo 2, copy the files from the MS folder to game installation folder, opent dgVoodooCpl and do what I wrote above.

rodion 5

Postby Garrom » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:37 pm

rodion wrote:Never heard of such setting...

But, if the game uses DirectX you can try using dgVoodoo 2. Under DirectX setting you have a Texturing option and can select "Force point sampled" which turns off texture filtering and gives you that pixelated look.

Edit: Just checked on Moby games, the games do use DirectX. Just download the latest version of dgVoodoo 2, copy the files from the MS folder to game installation folder, opent dgVoodooCpl and do what I wrote above.

Hi. I tried dgVoodoo. It definitely affect game but it is still blurry despite setting. Tell me, are those settings right ?

Garrom 3

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:19 pm

totally agree, I love me some sprite artwork. I am all about this.
first check your native resolution of your monitor and try to set your pc and emulator to that. second, disable any bilinear filter or stretching in options, and enforce aspect ratio to on.

for renderer choose surface, directdraw, try them out it will be very apparent which ones blur the pixels.

Dildo_Schwaggins 5

Postby Sabkahn » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:55 pm

If the game supports it, use the Software Renderer. That way your GPU isn´t used to render the game because the CPU does all the work alone. Texture Filtering would be an insane task for the CPU alone and it isn´t used to begin with.

Sabkahn 5

Postby Garrom » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:24 pm

Dildo_Schwaggins wrote:totally agree, I love me some sprite artwork. I am all about this.
first check your native resolution of your monitor and try to set your pc and emulator to that. second, disable any bilinear filter or stretching in options, and enforce aspect ratio to on.

for renderer choose surface, directdraw, try them out it will be very apparent which ones blur the pixels.

Well, you got point with native resolution. Looks like upscaling was what caused all this trouble ! After i set resolution to my desktop resolution everything looks good :D

Garrom 3

Postby Zerohour2k12 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:07 pm

I only run into that particular setting on Emulators.... most on 3D games.... some PC games allows you to toggle those via their own settings too..... i don't know if it has effects Performance-Wise though... :D

My Uploads
Now Playing
Bully Scholarship Edition
Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
Onimusha
Blood Will Tell
SSX Tricky
Star Wars - Republic Commando
Contract JACK
Star Wars The Force Unleashed
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Zwei - The Arges Adventure