Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Trying to run old PC game on Windows 98 in VMware, but..

Come here if you are having PC gaming related issues

Trying to run old PC game on Windows 98 in VMware, but..

Postby BrosefStalin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:40 am

So like the title says I'm Trying to run an old PC game on Windows 98 in VMware, but the mouse refuses to work once the game starts.

How the heck do I fix this? It is very troublesome for me. On the desktop it works fine but once I launch a game it is like it shits the bed.

BrosefStalin 2

Re: Trying to run old PC game on Windows 98 in VMware, but..

Postby NerdyBreeze » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:52 am

Run Windows 98 programs in 32-bit Windows 7. Right-click the .exe file of the program you want to run, and choose Properties. Now click the Compatibility tab and ensure 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' is selected. Now choose and select the operating system you think best, we presume Windows 98.

Spoiler:
Breeze..
systems i own . xbox one . Xbox soft modded and one none modded . Xbox 360 finger print magnet :P . 7 ps1 . 3 ps2 slim and fat. ps3. psp soft modded .Sega Saturn. Atari jaguar. 2 game cube.2 super nes . nes . 4 Sega genesis. game gear . Sega 32x. 3do. Atari and Atari jaguar .4 wii's. Nintendo 64. 3 Sega dream cast. 5 Gameboy colors and 3 advance models more then I need really but collection games is an addiction : ) for me anyways! {PLEASE READ THE sites rules below} http://theisozone.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=104
NerdyBreeze 5

Custom Title: Brezzythedorkish

Postby BrosefStalin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:54 am

I don't have windows 7. I have windows 10.

Wait. NVM. I don't have one of those options apparently.

BrosefStalin 2

Postby rodion » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:04 am

What game are you actually trying to play ? Trying to run an old game in a virtual machine is the last thing you should try, after you tried everything else.

rodion 4

Postby BrosefStalin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:07 am

John Saul's the Blackstone Chronicles.

Mystery of the Nautilus, another game I want to play again that has no real compatability with modern computers, is another that gives this same issue.

If I try to play Blackstone on my actual windows 10 machine, I just get the videos that are supposed to play as pictures and screenwipe lines.

BrosefStalin 2

Postby rodion » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:58 am

BrosefStalin wrote:John Saul's the Blackstone Chronicles.

Mystery of the Nautilus, another game I want to play again that has no real compatability with modern computers, is another that gives this same issue.

If I try to play Blackstone on my actual windows 10 machine, I just get the videos that are supposed to play as pictures and screenwipe lines.

I found some info about these two games on MobyGames and it seems they use DirectX for rendering. Did you try using dgVoodoo 2 ?

dgVoodoo 2 basically converts old DirectX to new DirectX and makes many old games playable on modern systems. All you have to do is:
- download it and extract the archive
- open the MS folder and copy the files you find there to the game install directory where the game exe is
- when you run the game it should display "dgVoodoo" in bottom, so you know it works

If it works then you can open the dgVoodooCpl program that came with the download and in the DirectX tab disable the dgVoodoo watermark, and edit other settings if you wish.

Just to be clear, this is for Windows 7/8/10, don't try to use it in a virtual machine !

Here is the official web site for more info:
http://dege.freeweb.hu/

Download where it says "dgVoodoo v2.54 (released: 25.04.2017)"
http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html

I used it for Mobil 1 Rally Championship, Nocturne, Splinter Cell and Crimson Skies.

rodion 4

Postby BrosefStalin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:01 am

I'll give it a shot, but I still need to fix the VM problem, because older games like Total Distortion thats my only shot at running.

Edited,
Okay, progress is being made, the flipscreen thing isn't happening, but neither is the animation.

Is there a way to get dgvoodoo to force trigger the animation movie that is supposed to play for the walking?

Last edited by eugenerobinhood1 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged 2 Posts.
BrosefStalin 2

Postby rodion » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:55 am

BrosefStalin wrote:Okay, progress is being made, the flipscreen thing isn't happening, but neither is the animation.

Is there a way to get dgvoodoo to force trigger the animation movie that is supposed to play for the walking?

I don't know what exactly do you mean, I never played these games, could you be more specific ? I may try downloading them, and check it out, but it is late here.

As for your vmware problems; there is a forum dedicated to fixing old games and also emulating PCs and stuff. If nobody can help you here, you can try asking for help there in the Windows section or maybe PC Emulation:
https://www.vogons.org/

rodion 4

Postby BrosefStalin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:35 am

As far as blackstone goes, whenever you clicked throughout the environment to move, a short fmv rendered animation would play. I think thats part of why the game had a quicktime 3 requirement. Thanks to dgvoodoo, I've gotten everything to work flawlessly EXCEPT for that part.

BrosefStalin 2

Postby HisDivineShadow » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Do you actually have QuickTime installed on the VM?

I had that problem with an original version of Riven: The Sequel to Myst ie. not Steam or GoG running on a Windows 7 64bit PC. Not on a VM but that shouldn't make any difference.

The animated elements of the game use QuickTime so it must be installed. In my case it worked with what was then the latest QuickTime, v7, rather than the v2 32bit version which I think Riven specified.

Probably unrelated to this particular matter but worth mentioning: the game itself also needed to be played using the 640x480 resolution option in Properties > Compatibility.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby rodion » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:41 pm

I have downloaded and tried to run both games on my PCs, new and old, and here are the results, it's not good :(

First to give an answer to HisDivineShadow: QuickTime is installed during the game installation process for Blackstone Chronicles, Nautilus uses Media Player and that is installed during the installation of that game.

Blackstone Chronicles

Works without any issue on my Windows XP PC, if anything you might try installing that in vmware instead of Windows 98 and try it out. Haven't tried it on Windows 98.

On my Windows 7 (64 bit) PC QuickTime didn't want to install, because it is a 32-bit version, so the game didn't want to start. I downloaded two versions, first is QuicktimeAlternative, the other is the real Quicktime from Apple, but I got the same results.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL837?locale=en_US
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/quicktime_alternative.htm

The game now runs, even without dgVoodoo 2, but the videos are rendered like a slideshow, one frame every second, with a horizontal line across the screen, skipping the frames in between.

With dgVoodoo the video wouldn't play at all, so I went to the game install directory and removed "DDraw.dll" (that was one of the three files you copied from dgvoodoo). Then the videos do play, but with same problem as above.

Nautilus

This one I only got working properly on my Windows 98 PC. On Windows XP the game would work, but the in-game videos were a mess, all just blue dots. Weird thing is that the intro logo video is rendered correctly.

On Windows 7 (64 bit) PC, I had no luck with it. Without dgVoodoo it wouldn't even start. With dgVoodoo, the intro videos would play, I would get to the menu, but when I click New Game, the guy starts saying "The sea is still..." and the game crashes at that point every time.

Tried coping Windows Media Player files that came on the game CD into the game install folder, then the videos wouldn't play at all, but I could actually get into the game, but the second I move the camera, the game would crash.

Tried running both games in different compatibility modes and everything I could think of, but had no luck fixing the issues.

rodion 4

Postby BrosefStalin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:32 am

I know these issues, such is why I need to fix the virtualmachine issue with the mouse.

BrosefStalin 2

Postby BrosefStalin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:47 am

I've got an update. No further progress on Blackstone, but I'm going to try what HisDivineShadow suggested, due to having quicktime 7 and Alternate 3 installed.

As far as Nautilus goes however, I SUCCESSFULLY got it running under a Windows XP virtual machine, but I had to spam escape on clicking new game due to cutscene freezing.

The good thing is though that it works.

BrosefStalin 2

Return to Troubleshooting