Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Heart of Darkness/Neverhood does not work

Come here if you are having PC gaming related issues

Heart of Darkness/Neverhood does not work

Postby D88M » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Hello, i have been visiting the site for a while now, but i have know it for a long time, but i created an account just now, because i cannot comment on a game.

I downloaded this: the-heart-of-darkness-pc-iso/
(I cannot put which version of the ones here in this site because i am not allowed: "Your post contains links to external websites. New users cannot post links", this is BS of coursze, given that this site is not an external site to itself, so is nonsense)
but after the installation, i double click on the .exe, and nothing happens, nothing at all, the clock appears around the cursor for a second and then nothing.

Then the problem with Neverhood the-neverhood/ (I cannot put which version of the ones here in this site because i am not allowed: "Your post contains links to external websites. New users cannot post links", this is BS of coursze, given that this site is not an external site to itself, so is nonsense)
is that it does not come with installation, just the .exe, but when i run it asks for a cd-rom, i tried to mount it with power-iso but i cannot rename the file as asked on the read me because it asks for permission, a flaw in windows 7 design.

If i unzip all the files into a folder, do what the read me says for color fix, and run the game.exe, it also asks for a cd-rom.

I also cannot execute the "setup.exe" because it says that there are compatibility issues (i have windows 7 64 bits, and it asks for windows 7 64 bits, so is nonsense)

I really want to play this two classics, i have been looking for games like this for a while now, for original creative games, how can i make them run?

D88M 2

Re: Heart of Darkness/Neverhood does not work

Postby mrpink999 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:09 pm

If u use the search bar (upper right corner, use keywords> ie: heart of darkness)

You will see two links for pc, one is a rip, and the other is ISO.

This upload is reported working, try the ISO version

link posting restrictions reduce spam in a number of ways
Appies to all new members, not just you.

mrpink999 Moderator

Custom Title: No Worries

Postby vgames » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:01 pm

The Neverhood is supported by ScummVM. To get it working is fairly simple if you've ever used ScummVM before and not too difficult if you haven't. First download ScummVM, it is an emulator-like program for a lot of older adventure games. A simple google search will lead you there. Version 2.0.0 will work. Then install ScummVM.

Next go to The Neverhood CD and copy the contents of the DATA folder to a directory on your hard disk, C:\Games\Neverhood for example. There should be 7 files to copy over.

Now open up ScummVM. Click "Add Game..." on the right hand side of screen. Then navigate and select the folder that you placed the files into and click "Choose". It should recognize the game and show some info about it, select "OK".

Now just click "Start" on right hand side to begin the game. In the future you can click "Load..." to directly load into the game from the ScummVM menu.

I downloaded the ISO version of Heart of Darkness http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/pc/ ... ss-pc-iso/ and was able to install it no problem on Windows 10 64 bit. Game started up fine as well with no compatibility options selected. I had a start menu folder that I launched the game from. Maybe try reinstalling and making sure no compatibility items are checked if not working.

BTW I use DAEMON Tools Lite for mounting CDs, may want to give a try if having problems with that part.

Enjoy!

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking
vgames 4

Postby D88M » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:53 am

mrpink999 wrote:If u use the search bar (upper right corner, use keywords> ie: heart of darkness)

You will see two links for pc, one is a rip, and the other is ISO.

This upload is reported working, try the ISO version

link posting restrictions reduce spam in a number of ways
Appies to all new members, not just you.

The iso version is the one that does not work, i repeat: i cannot put the link of the version here because the forum takes it as an "external link". I installed, then doubled click on the .exe, but nothing happens at all.

D88M 2

Postby D88M » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:55 am

vgames wrote:The Neverhood is supported by ScummVM. To get it working is fairly simple if you've ever used ScummVM before and not too difficult if you haven't. First download ScummVM, it is an emulator-like program for a lot of older adventure games. A simple google search will lead you there. Version 2.0.0 will work. Then install ScummVM.

Next go to The Neverhood CD and copy the contents of the DATA folder to a directory on your hard disk, C:\Games\Neverhood for example. There should be 7 files to copy over.

Now open up ScummVM. Click "Add Game..." on the right hand side of screen. Then navigate and select the folder that you placed the files into and click "Choose". It should recognize the game and show some info about it, select "OK".

Now just click "Start" on right hand side to begin the game. In the future you can click "Load..." to directly load into the game from the ScummVM menu.

I downloaded the ISO version of Heart of Darkness http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/pc/ ... ss-pc-iso/ and was able to install it no problem on Windows 10 64 bit. Game started up fine as well with no compatibility options selected. I had a start menu folder that I launched the game from. Maybe try reinstalling and making sure no compatibility items are checked if not working.

BTW I use DAEMON Tools Lite for mounting CDs, may want to give a try if having problems with that part.

Enjoy!

I has never heard of "ScummVM", i will try that and let you know what happened, thanks.

Regarding Heart of Darkness, i will install it again, but i doubt it will make any difference, it just does nothing when i click on the .exe

*EDIT
ScummVM says: "there is no game in the folder you chose"

**Edit #2
Excuse me, but i just unninstalled and deleted the games so i could download and install them agin to try right from the start, but the files have been deleted from the site...

Last edited by mrpink999 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: consolodate post
D88M 2

Postby sasapinjic » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:39 am

You don't have to spamm post one after another , you have one hour time frame to EDIT your previous post with new info using EDIT function in top/right corner of your posts .

Both ISOs work just fine to me with Firefox :

http://theisozone.com/downloads/pc/wind ... rkness-pc/

and

http://theisozone.com/downloads/pc/wind ... ss-pc-iso/

Also , check third link in my signature , it is newbie friendly guide for instantiation of games , study it well .
This line :
If i unzip all the files into a folder

makes me believe you use WinZip , while you should use 7-zip or WinRar to uncompress files from as .
While this line :
it also asks for a cd-rom.

means you have to mount ISO on Virtual Drive to install game , then probably aplay crack exe .
All explanations are in that guide .
5 post before comments is exactly to avoid flood of "this shit dont work" type of comments before users even know what is needed for file to work . Thats why we have tutorials .

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(Penninless Scumbag)

Postby D88M » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:53 am

sasapinjic wrote:You don't have to spamm post one after another , you have one hour time frame to EDIT your previous post with new info using EDIT function in top/right corner of your posts .

Both ISOs work just fine to me with Firefox :

and

Also , check third link in my signature , it is newbie friendly guide for instantiation of games , study it well .
This line :
If i unzip all the files into a folder

makes me believe you use WinZip , while you should use 7-zip or WinRar to uncompress files from as .
While this line :
it also asks for a cd-rom.

means you have to mount ISO on Virtual Drive to install game , then probably aplay crack exe .
All explanations are in that guide .
5 post before comments is exactly to avoid flood of "this shit dont work" type of comments before users even know what is needed for file to work . Thats why we have tutorials .

Okay thank you and sorry.

As i already said, i did all the steps but is something else that is not working_ Neverhood has not installation at all, it has a setup.exe but it does not work, the "Instalaltion" is putting the content of the iso directly into a folder, and Heart of Darkness can be installed but when you run the game.exe, nothing happens, nothing at all and the isos have been deleted from the download adress, the files are not there anymore :shock:

D88M 2

Postby mrpink999 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Had some network issues this week.....ill get to the bottom of this/

instructions for RIP by AlexRex
Code: Select all
 Unpack/Extract the downloaded RAR file to where you want the game to be installed. You will get a Folder with the game.
Go there, and double-click on "HOD.reg" to set up the Registry, and answer "yes" to the question.
To play, use the file "HODWin32.exe". Make a shortcut to your Desktop, if you want. Have FUN...

Instruction for ISO version:

Code: Select all
Unpack/Extract the downloaded RAR file (WinRar, 7Zip). You will get an ISO file which is a "copy" of the CD (600+MB in size).
Burn the File as a CD (Nero, ImgBurn) or Mount it in a Virtual Drive (Daemon Tools, Alcohol).
Install the Game from the Physical CD or the Mounted Drive and Have FUN

mrpink999 Moderator

Postby sasapinjic » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:34 pm

Oh god , you are not newbie , you are noob , you dont lisen to anything i say and you dont try to do what you are told ! :roll:

I just downloaded second ISO i post link for (ISO version), using firefox browser , game installed without any problems , i didnt even need crack exe . Games runs fine ( except few choping sound in FMV , probably becouse uploader original CD was damaged) . One thing may confuse you , after install is completed program end and there is no shortcut , just go to list of your programs , there will be notice new program installed , shortcut is there . Or go to folder where game is installed Also , dont forget to confirm installation of DirectX5 during game installation .
Also if you explore ISO with 7-zip , there is READ ME file with detail instructions.
You wuld know all this if you have bothered to read my guide .

EDIT 1 :
I even prepared some video :

Last edited by sasapinjic on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sasapinjic 13

Postby mrpink999 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:40 pm

Thank U SASA!

Ur tractor is still sexy as hell:D

Have 1 virtual midget on me
(I have no Virtual beer, srry)

mrpink999 Moderator

Postby sasapinjic » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:46 pm

mrpink999 wrote:
Ur tractor is still sexy as hell:D

)

And there is Lady Galadriel hidden inside as well ! :lol:

sasapinjic 13

Postby vgames » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:23 pm

D88M wrote:I has never heard of "ScummVM", i will try that and let you know what happened, thanks.

*EDIT
ScummVM says: "there is no game in the folder you chose"

ScummVM takes a bit of tinkering to figure out at first, but is a really handy program for older adventure games that it supports. It is easy to not select the correct folder though if you aren't used to it.

An easier option is the auto-detect feature that may help you. To do it is very simple. Open up ScummVM. Now hold a Shift button... it should change the "Add Game..." button to "Mass Add...", so click on "Mass Add..." and click "Yes" to following question.

If you have copied the game files into C:\Games\Neverhood, then navigate to C: and highlight the Games folder by clicking on it once, then click "Choose" in lower right. It will scan all folders in the Games directory and should come up with the Neverhood game. Click "OK" and game you should be good to go.

Good luck!

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking
vgames 4

Postby D88M » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:28 am

Okay so i made The Neverhood work, thank you all for your help, it seems like it works fine, it seems like there are no option but maybe the game was already like that.

But Heart of Darkness just refuses to work, i re installed it and i press on the .exe, but nothing happens

D88M 2

Postby sasapinjic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:00 am

D88M wrote:But Heart of Darkness just refuses to work, i re installed it and i press on the .exe, but nothing happens

Explain what EXACTLY you did, step by step, if you want precise help, it will helpful as to know what did you did wrong, becouse you did see game run fine for me, like you see in my video.
Example:
I have downloaded game, used 7-zip to extract it in to ISO , i mount ISO on virtual drive, i installed game and DirectX5 and i run game from exe.
If you did all corect, then it may be possible that such old game dont work on win7/64.

sasapinjic 13

Postby vgames » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:49 pm

sasapinjic wrote:it may be possible that such old game dont work on win7/64.

True, but I find it odd that it does work on win10/64. Usually if it works on 10, it'll work on 7 from my experience at least. I wonder if there is something else that is causing the game to not launch properly.

Have you tried pausing or disabling your anti-virus, etc when installing/launching game?

I also found a youtube video, the first part may be useful as it shows some compatibility options to try.
Spoiler:

Here is an article that explains how to get it running. Pay special attention to how it says to disable Aero, the explorer disabling and the very bottom about 64-bit users. https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2012/06/03/heart-of-darkness/

May need to try a combination of these solutions to get it to work properly. Good luck!

vgames 4

Postby D88M » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:30 am

sasapinjic wrote:
D88M wrote:But Heart of Darkness just refuses to work, i re installed it and i press on the .exe, but nothing happens

Explain what EXACTLY you did, step by step, if you want precise help, it will helpful as to know what did you did wrong, becouse you did see game run fine for me, like you see in my video.
Example:
I have downloaded game, used 7-zip to extract it in to ISO , i mount ISO on virtual drive, i installed game and DirectX5 and i run game from exe.
If you did all corect, then it may be possible that such old game dont work on win7/64.

Thank you for your help, i did exactly the same thing that you described, but nothing happens, nothing at all, not even a black blink of the screen, not even the "preocessing" image next to the cursor, it just does absolutely nothing when i click on the exe, i am pretty confused :/

vgames wrote:

True, but I find it odd that it does work on win10/64. Usually if it works on 10, it'll work on 7 from my experience at least. I wonder if there is something else that is causing the game to not launch properly.

Have you tried pausing or disabling your anti-virus, etc when installing/launching game?

I also found a youtube video, the first part may be useful as it shows some compatibility options to try.
Spoiler:

Here is an article that explains how to get it running. Pay special attention to how it says to disable Aero, the explorer disabling and the very bottom about 64-bit users. https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2012/06/03/heart-of-darkness/

May need to try a combination of these solutions to get it to work properly. Good luck!

I will try this and come back to you to let you know what happened, thanks.

D88M 2

Postby D88M » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:45 am

vgames wrote:

Spoiler:

I did everything on the article, the game still refuses to launch, this is getting pretty irritating honestly, it should not by THAT hard to make it work, it just does not react at all. The explorer thing is crap too by the way, i was doing stuff with it but then it closed everything without my permission when i clicked on the exe, and the game still did not worked.

D88M 2

Postby sasapinjic » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:42 am

Well , if you are unable to start PC version of game , you can always play PS1 version , ePSX , PlayStation emulator works great on PC , and game is same anyway .

sasapinjic 13

Postby vgames » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:45 am

Okay I think it's time to get a bit crazy :D

Since it was originally a Win98 game, you can try to get it running in DOSBox. It won't run as is, you will have to do a bit more to it.

First, you will need DOSBox 0.70 --This is NOT the latest version, but it is the most recent version that supported Win98. You can download it from sourceforge (It's the one that says win32-installer.exe):
Second, you will need a copy of Windows 98SE. If you don't already have a copy, you can get it from archive.org:
Then you will need to install Win98 inside DOSBox. Here are a couple youtube videos that can help guide you along this part. Mainly mounting the CD and running the installation process within DOSBox, not too tricky if you are familiar with DOSBox at all.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Once you got Win98 installed, you will need to mount the Heart of Darkness ISO and then run Win98 from inside DOSBox. If all went well, you should be able to install and run the game inside the DOSBox/Win98 virtual environment.

I have not tried this myself, but I have done this with other games for Win 3.11 using DOSBox. If you are still having troubles after trying the above (or are not familiar with DOSBox at all), I'll try this method myself to see if I can get it working and then give all the dirty little details on how.

vgames 4

Return to Troubleshooting