Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Failed XENOGC install -Recovery

Discuss Hard/Soft modding the Gamecube here!

Failed XENOGC install -Recovery

Postby voultar » Sat May 10, 2014 11:42 pm

A customer sent in a Gamecube that he bonked up during a wireless XenoGC install. He lifted a few pads on the drive controller main-board when he tried to "pry" the chip up from the board.

Needless to say, I was buzzing the board with my multi-meter looking for alternate points to tap into when I found a nice little write-up Jinn did when he encountered this very same problem with one of his mod-clients.

Using Jinn's post as a reference, I bounced around on the back of the board and wired this chip into place.

And wouldn't you know, the system made a full recovery. :)

Credit goes to Jinn for finding the correct alternate pinout.
For all modding inquires, contact sales@voultar.com

voultar 6

Custom Title: The Champion

Re: Failed XENOGC install -Recovery

Postby darkweezil » Sun May 11, 2014 12:20 am

Thanks for sharing voultar.
I have installed quiet a few of those chips but luckily never had any problems.
This will be a good reference if I ever do though. :)
View My Understanding Electronics Thread
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=46099

View My Reflow/Reball Guide
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=51206

Because I could not stop for Death –
He kindly stopped for me –
darkweezil 13

Custom Title: Back from hell

Postby Preston2011 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:52 am

Yes I agree. This is a good reference. Lets face it, as good as we all may be at installing various mods.......somedays it just all goes wrong! Bridged point here, lifted pad there......weve all been there right?.......No, just me then lol. Thanks for the info :)
Preston2011 6

Postby Myski » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:36 am

Hi, I actually registered for this thread and voultar's neat installs I've been lurking before.

Could you please confirm that the wiring shown in the following picture is correct when using these "alternate points" and wire install. Especially those 4 little wires going to that big surface mounted thing. Not my install, but exactly similar to mine:

Spoiler:

It looks the same as voultar's install in the original post of this thread but can't be 100% sure cause those white wires are easy to mismatch when looking.

And then I came across this pic which I believe is voultar's work too, but the orientation of wires in this one seem to be totally different (even when following those traces from SMC legs to corresponding points used in those other 2 installs they seem crossed to me). Which one is right or are they really the same? :?:

Spoiler:

I'm asking this because I am having trouble with my own install which is wired exatcly the same way this is, and I am absolutely sure there are no cold joints nor solder bridges (confirmed with multimeter several times between all possible points) and I am becoming to think there is something wrong with placement of wires instead, or the chip is faulty (which I'm sure you have heard all too many times before when the problem is actually in bad soldering work, but mine is not even that bad and the multimeter pretty much confirms it.)

The fault I am getting is the red led flashes on boot, and stays flashing red. No orange or green light at all.

Thank you in advance.
Myski Newbie

Postby voultar » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:05 pm

Both of those installs are correct, the large difference being the wire orientation in both instances.

It's never a good idea to trace down wires of another person's install simply for the fact that they may have pulled a maneuver or two that won't work in your case, I was able to pull a couple of tricks due to the drive controller board revision on these two units.

Both of these consoles went back to happy customers who are enjoying them to this day. :)

Follow the original install diagram that Jinn came up with years ago. It's compatible with all drive controller board revisions.

Keep your power and ground where they are, and follow 3, 2, 4, and 6, off of the I/C legs.

voultar 6

Postby Myski » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:45 pm

Thank you for the wiring diagram, that's the one I was looking for and would have used in the first place if I'd had it. And yes, it sure isn't a good practice to copy wiring from other installs without wiring diagram.

But now that confirms that my wiring is correct in theory too and when already ruling out the bad solder work and short circuits I think it's safe to assume the chip itself is a dud and I should open rma case.

Do you have any rough estimate on what is a possibility of a faulty chip since I suppose you have done a lot of these installs and have some large scale experience .. have come across any? I thought it would be very unlikely with chips of this simple design.
Myski Newbie

Postby voultar » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:53 pm

Undo everything that you've done. And only follow that wiring diagram, from scratch.

I would estimate that your drive chip is fine. Just give it another go from scratch. If it doesn't work at that point. Then consider sending it back. The XenoGC is pretty solid. Unless you've knocked off one of the SMD capacitors/resistors from the heat you used to lift it. Compare your chip to a stock photo of one, and make sure all of the components are there.

Again, when redoing the install, don't even look at my installs or Jinns, FOLLOW that diagram, it's a fail-safe.

voultar 6

Postby Myski » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:06 pm

This may be obvious but the diagram provided should work with PAL region consoles, too, right?

Because I just realized you and probably great majority of modders I've come across are using NTSC consoles, and I'm in Europe and this is a PAL console I'm working with. Xenogc specifies all region support, but is the wiring the very same? This may be a dumb question, but this is so weird problem I have to make sure...

No parts missing from the chip or drive mobo, from anywhere even near my working areas. I lifted it using desoldering braid so shouldn't have had too much thermal stress.

But I will do a one more complete reinstall even though I am almost certain it is already correctly placed now (but I got the point) and then call it failed chip if still no luck.
Myski Newbie

Postby voultar » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:41 pm

Console region is irrelevant when it comes to drive chips.

Give it a go.

voultar 6

Postby Myski » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:50 pm

I may have found abnormality and would like to confirm.

I was reworking the solder points on the chip and after that I decided to run continuity test with multimeter, from solder points on chip, to legs of the black SMC on chip ie. the integrity of the blue traces going cross the xenogc.

All other visible traces were continuous except the one going from point 4 in the diagram to corresponding leg (trace highlighted red in the pic):

There was continuity only from point 4 to the point where the SMC leg is supposed to contact with chip pcb (the lowest level), the upper "steps" of the leg were cold, no connection whereas with all the other points they have connection all the way up their respective leg.

I suspect it should not be that way, and that one tiny leg of SMC chip has somehow pulled up from the chip. And that would explain a lot...
Myski Newbie

Postby voultar » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:01 pm

To test that theory, wire from point 4 DIRECTLY to the leg of the Atmega I/C on the XenoGC.

You could have broke the trace while the chip was being heated/flexed during the removal.

I've seen these problems more than I care to mention. 4 is a signal wire, and the drive won't patch without it.

Point 4 hooks up with the gate pin of the XenoGC's micro-controller. It's the pin responsible for injecting the patch into the drive controller.

voultar 6

Postby Myski » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:29 pm

Aaand it's done. Fixed the leg and got solid yellow light after boot, I guess this night will be well spent with my new import games.

Thank you very much for helping and all the useful data about wiring etc!
Myski Newbie

Postby voultar » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:37 pm

Fantastic. Glad I could help.

voultar 6

Postby crzyzeldafanatic » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:39 pm

This is probably a dead thread but I want to thank you all for the addition wiring diagrams and methods. Ripped pad A off the board by accident and I couldn't find alternates for the life of me. Thank you guys so much!
crzyzeldafanatic Newbie

Return to Gamecube Modding