Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

DOL-001 and DOL-101 Interchangeability

Discuss Hard/Soft modding the Gamecube here!

DOL-001 and DOL-101 Interchangeability

Postby ReliantLion » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:41 am

Hello, new to the forums and I have a question about the two versions of the Gamecube. Everything I've searched for is quick to point out the obvious differences between the two versions, or some of the more subtle points.

Anyways, I have a DOL-001 with the HDMI mod on it, but the laser is pretty much shot. I've POT'd it on a large range of values and it won't play backups anymore (it has XenoGC). So I ordered a Gamecube off of a common website, but they don't specify whether it is DOL-001 or DOL-101. I can take it back to a brick and mortar store no questions asked if I want in case what I have in mind isn't feasible and they send me the DOL-101. Can you take the optical drive out of a DOL-101 and put it in a DOL-001? Or are they not compatible? I've read that the DOL-101 is actually more reliable at reading discs, but the exclusion of the Digital port has me wondering if it'd work.

TL;DR - Will the disc drive from DOL-101 work on top of a DOL-001 Main Board?
ReliantLion Newbie

Re: DOL-001 and DOL-101 Interchangeability

Postby kintek » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:21 am

I didn't see on any websites I purchase parts from state a different laser version between the two models. I did find a bit of added info on this site here though.

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/megamanw ... rison.html

Laser

One complaint some people have about the original models, is it's tendency to incorrectly read a disc and display an error messsage. I personally haven't run into any major problems with my original GameCube, but others have and shortly after the system's launch Nintendo even provided repairs for free. The newer model works around this issue by having a newer, more advanced laser that correctly reads discs with fewer errors. However, the lasers in the newer models apparently don't last as long as the one in the original models.

Hope that helps with some questions.
kintek 3

Postby 607jf » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:19 am

Yes. All parts are except the power board obviously.
607jf 4

Postby ReliantLion » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:54 pm

Sounds like I'm good either way then, thanks!
ReliantLion Newbie

Return to Gamecube Modding