Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Advantages/Disadvantages of SD loader for my Dreamcast

System Mods, Software mods for the DC

Advantages/Disadvantages of SD loader for my Dreamcast

Postby madbuzzin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:36 pm

I recently started getting back into downloading a Dreamcast game collection the other day. I only burned a handful last year, but after I got my extender cable in the mail yesterday (so now i can sit on my couch instead of my floor!!!) I will start playing a hell of alot more of the Dreamcast.

Before I go out and buy discs and start spending multiple hours burning and testing burns and adding 60hz selectors to the eur games, I would like to know what the disadvantages + advantages are of having an SD loader mod as opposed to burning cdr's.... money is not the issue, compatibility, image quality and consistency is what I am looking for.

:lovetiz:

madbuzzin 3

Re: Advantages/Disadvantages of SD loader for my Dreamcast

Postby CBThatGuy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:16 pm

Personally I have found that burning games has much better compatability, however you will need a properly working laser in your DC.

I have tried both methods and it is nice to be able to not have to switch discs, but some SD games have issues and some of my self made backups will not load. I have never had any issues with burning games to disc.

Atari 2600
NES, SNES (Everdrive), SupaBoy, Wii (softmod), WiiU
Sega Nomad, Genesis (Everdrive), Dreamcast
Playstation 1 (chipped), 2 (HDLoader), 3 & 4
Xbox (Xecuter 3), Xbox 360 (drive mod)
Game Boy Color, PSP (CFW), PSTV, & DS (Acekard2i), 3DS (modded)
Turbografx 16 (Everdrive)
CBThatGuy 5

Postby madbuzzin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:22 pm

CBThatGuy wrote: I have never had any issues with burning games to disc.

OK yeah, for me its about comparability over convenience... sure I would love to have a menu to select all my games from, but why limit the amount of games to a 128gb card and basically remove your laser making it so you cant play a backup of an image that doesnt work off the sd card?

this is what I was thinking, thats why I came here to get real advice

madbuzzin 3

Postby MaxRD » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:34 pm

SDloader better for homebrew games, good for emulators but for games that stream much video or use CDDA audio you will experience stuttering and slowdown, sync issues. Treat it like a nice addition but not a replacement to discs.

My Collection
Spoiler:
NDS-Gameboy AdvanceSP-2 Xbox-2TG16-JVC X'Exe-Nintendo Wii-GP2X WIZ-GP2X Caanoo-Dingoo A320-PS2 (Phat & SLIM)-2 Gamecube-3 Dreamcast-Sega Saturn-Sega CDX-CDi-3DO-Genesis model 1-Sega Master System-FC Mobile-PS1 (Original and SLIM)-2 Colecovisions-Intellivision II-Ti99a-Atari 5200 /7800/2600/Jr./1040ste-1040stf-Commodore 64c & c64-SNES-NEO GEO CD-N64-NES-Retron3-JXD s601-s7800b-Atari 5200 VCS Adapter MODDED for Stand alone operation
MaximumRD's Hub of AWESOME !
Follow me on Twitter ! https://twitter.com/MaximumRD
MaxRD 4

Custom Title: Lover of Retro Games!

Postby Jodo901 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:45 pm

The SD Loader is a good supplement if you want to preserve your laser drive a bit. Depending on what games you are looking to play it may be more, or less worth it. You might want to take a look at the downloads section and see what games are available as SD-ISOs that you would want. As mentioned, games that have a lot of loading or video streaming going on don't work nearly as well as a Disc or the HDD upgrade. BTW if you have a monitor/tv with a PC input a VGA box is completely worth the investment if you haven't got one already. :D

Use the IMGburn method (see tutorials) and you shouldn't have any issues burning games.

I have always been here
Jodo901 9

Postby madbuzzin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:56 pm

Jodo901 wrote: or the HDD upgrade.
??????????WUT??????

Haven't looked into that at all, but I do see your point about preserving the laser.

madbuzzin 3

Postby NoMention » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:29 pm

Since money is not the issue, why not get a second dreamcast? One for disc games and the other to remove the laser? The price of DCs are still pretty low and having stacks of CDs is not fun.

NoMention 4

Postby Jodo901 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:12 am

I agree with NoMention, it's always good to have a spare or two LOL.

madbuzzin wrote:??????????WUT??????

Yep. I haven't done one yet... have to have the time to learn how and set things up the way I want them. I have a 40GB 2.5 eide I am hoping to be able to use. I know I won't really need much space to run the games I want to play.

I have always been here
Jodo901 9

Postby metroid » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:59 am

With burning discs you obviously will have those take up a little more space. And your laser on your console will get more use but you can find a replacement Dreamcast for $20 on eBay now so thats not a big deal.

metroid 3

Custom Title: The last Metroid is in captivity.

Return to Dreamcast Modding