Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

PS3 Hidden Gems

Discuss the Sony Playstation 3 here. General discussion, troublshooting, guides and more.

PS3 Hidden Gems

Postby XamX » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Everybody knows the obvious PS3 games to get, like:
Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Demon's Souls, Red Dead Redemption, The Last of Us, Ni No Kuni and so on
.... but I'd like to post some games many people new to the PS3 (PS3 CFW & modding) probably don't know about.

3D Dot Game Heroes
"Zelda (1) in 2.5D" is what most people think - and they are right. Awesome game.
Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Caladrius Blaze
A very nice vertical SHMUP.
Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Daytona USA
A classic and my favorite arcade game ever. It's the first home version that is a decent port of the arcade game - no, it's even better because it has more content, more options and native 16:9 support. The game normally is digital only but there is also a disc-converted version to start it via MultiMan, like every other PS3 game.
Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Absolute Supercars
Not a game for the casual Need for Speed & Burnout players, but if you like your racing games more serious and sim-like this is worth checking out.
Screenshots:
Spoiler:

GoldenEye 007: Reloaded
Some people refuse to like it but I think this is a well done modern HD-version of the N64 classic.
Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Everybody's Golf (6) / aka. Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational / aka. Minna no Golf 6
One of the best, if not the best golf game there is (I haven't played the 7th one on PS4 yet).
US and PAL versions are digital only.
Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Koihime Enbu
2D fighting game like King of Fighters, Guilty Gear and so on. Most people never heard of it. Check it out, it's not bad.
Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Mamorukun Curse! / aka. Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta! Meikai Katsugeki Wide-Han
If you like Pocky & Rocky, Smash TV and Zombies ate my Neighbors this game is for you. The jap. version came out on disc, the US-one is digital only. I love this game, it's in my Top-10 PS3 games list.
Screenshots:
Spoiler:

OutRun: Online Arcade
I think everybody knows and loves the game. Most people have it on Xbox, PS2 or PC but some people probably don't know it's also out for PS3 and it's as good as always. (there is also a "disc-converted" version for MultiMan)
Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Raiden IV: Overkill
Every SHMUP fan knows the Raiden series and I think Raiden 4 is the one I like the most. (there is also a "disc-converted" version for MultiMan)
Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Ski Doo: Snowmobile Challenge
Not a great game but also not a terrible one - I know it doesn't look like much, I also thought it's just shovelware crap but it's actually not bad. Jet ski and snowmobile games are pretty rare so if you are into that go check it out.
Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Tales of Vesperia
My favorite "Tales of" game ever. The PS3 version was jap. only but there is a fan translation out - so if you don't have access to the US or PAL Xbox360 version you should get it for PS3, it's great.
Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Tetris
You probably think "what? Tetris?", but it's a great version of Tetris. Nice, small and simple with local 4-Player support. WAY better then the newer Tetris games released by Ubisoft in the past few years.
Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Top Spin 4
In my opinion THE best tennis video game ever. Younger players or casual players who never played Tennis in real life probably don't see a difference to Virtua Tennis or Wii Tennis but if you ever had a real tennis racket in your hand and played some balls you instantly know Top Spin 4 is the best.
Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Under Defeat HD
You've probably seen the arcade or Dreamcast version of this nice SHMUP. It's a well done and not too hard (aka. Bullet Hell) SHMUP, I like it.
Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Wangan Midnight
A jap. only game with most of the menus in english (story is japanese though). Lovely game if you enjoyed the prequels or Tokyo Xtreme Racer, Tokyo Highway Battle, Initial D in the past.
Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Wipeout HD Fury
I guess everybody knows WipeOut. This is a 2-in-1 (WipeOut HD & WipeOut Fury) for the PS3 with 60fps, go get it.
Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Last edited by XamX on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Well, ok. Foe-List just updated.
XamX 5

Re: PS3 Hidden Gems

Postby Sabkahn » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:07 pm

Since you listed "Absolute Supercars" I want to throw in "Ferrari Challenge: Trofeo Pirelli" from the same developers. Like the name suggests it´s a Ferrari centered game build on an slightly older version of the same engine. They also made "Ferrari Race Experience" wich came later and has, for whatever reason, fever cars and they made "Supercar Challenge" wich is more or less the same as "Absolute Supercars" to the point that they actualy recommend not buying Absolute Supercars if you already own Supercar Challenge (really, look on the back of the Absolute Supercars box, right below the Screenshots)

Other than that I would throw "Project Eden" into the mix, it´s essentialy Rez 2.

Sabkahn 4

Postby XamX » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:10 pm

Yes, I thought about including Ferrari Challenge: Trofeo Pirelli and SuperCar Challenge too but then I thought this is too much for TIZ (I think most people here like arcade/fun racers more :D ;) )

XamX 5

Postby ryder4life » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 pm

thanks for the recommendations.

ryder4life 8

Custom Title: Gamecube Preserver

Postby mrneo240 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:45 pm

Viking:battle for asgard. superb game.
Sacred 2: excellent rpg

let me check when i get home, i only have about 80 discs ;)

mrneo240 2

Postby 607jf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:40 pm

Motorstorm I wish they had done some ps4 games. But they ran it into the ground with motorstorm RC.

607jf 4

Postby SleepyFist » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:08 pm

Scott Pilgrim VS The World: The Game, too bad it's delisted now, it's a great co-op beat em up inspired by River City Ransom, it's extremely buggy but so much fun.

There's also Fat Princess, it's a hilarious and super-violent game of capture the flag, where you feed your princess magical cake to make her obese and harder to kidnap, while slaughtering the opposition as they try to breach your fortress gates.

SleepyFist 3

Postby schmupluvr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:23 pm

I have to mention Blur. Really good racing game from 2010 that is still a champ. Some people say it's like Mario Kart, and it is in a way. You shoot different pickups at each other, very similar. Super cool cars too.
Blur was one sold on physical media and never released as a digital download. For those of us lucky enough to have a jailbroken console, the iso is floating around in the usual places. PC & 360 also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej-jGR91pLk

Spoiler:
PSTV Henkaku Enso, 2TB ext hdd, dualshock 4
TSOP Xbox/CoinOPS/Ninja
Colecovision w/SD
Sega-any
TG-16
NES
PS3 CECHA01
PS4 w/1TB sshd
Wii loaded

Trinitrons, D-Series JVC and Toshiba CRTs. Lucky to have 3 curved screens with Y,Pb,Pr too!
schmupluvr 5

Custom Title: Colecovision O.G./Grey Jedi

Postby UnholyArceus » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:18 am

alot of these games are delisted...

this is what needs to happen to gamestop.
UnholyArceus 9

Custom Title: i'm getting mugged by gamestop.

Postby schmupluvr » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:50 am

Mamorukun Curse! does look really good/fun. @XamX mentioned Smash Tv so I had to ck it out. :)
It's only $5 too. Legit way or modded way, hmmmm. I will have it soon, thanks for a good one!

Edit*
Outrun: Online Arcade is in fact gone. No! Sony lost the license for Ferrari's name.

All is not lost. Here is the pkg number- NPEB00073 - you guys know what to do.
Just do a search and you will find it. A Euro release but hey if it's in English then Hooray!

Spoiler:
PSTV Henkaku Enso, 2TB ext hdd, dualshock 4
TSOP Xbox/CoinOPS/Ninja
Colecovision w/SD
Sega-any
TG-16
NES
PS3 CECHA01
PS4 w/1TB sshd
Wii loaded

Trinitrons, D-Series JVC and Toshiba CRTs. Lucky to have 3 curved screens with Y,Pb,Pr too!
schmupluvr 5

Custom Title: Colecovision O.G./Grey Jedi

Postby cody1638 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:24 am

I'll throw one in, medal of honor frontline hd. Some people dont even know it exists but its a ps3 exclusive and included on the disc of moh 2010 so you can get it dirt cheap used

Also an old 2007 psn game called 'pain' , played it way back. Basically launching ragdolls into objects for points

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
cody1638 4

Postby Berzerk » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:50 am

Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning
Duck Tales
Split Second
Red Dead Nightmare

Berzerk 4

Custom Title: No matter where you go there you are.

Postby TONKA_TUFF » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:03 pm

You can't go wrong with the quintessential marvel vs. capcom 2 HD, which has been delisted everywhere. I also had a blast playing the 4 Sly Cooper games - 3 HD remakes and the PS3-made, 'Thieves in Time'. Valkyria Chronicles is good if you're an XCOM fan. Vanquish was also a good time, albeit too short, it wasn't platform elusive, and it ends on a cliffhanger that will likely never be resolved.

TONKA_TUFF 2

Postby Absurd » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:50 pm

Genji: Days Of The Blade, mindless button mashing at its finest, cheap as shit here too, equivalent to $1.27 US.

Absurd 3

Custom Title: Complete shithouse

Postby paranoicb » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:19 pm

Outrun is one of my best PS3 games from sega. Its the best adaptation from dreamcast to ps3. I can play for hours this game and its so addictive :D

Edited,
ahhhh also dont forget the Monkey Island series of adventures. They are so awesome games

Last edited by eugenerobinhood1 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged 2 posts
paranoicb Newbie

Postby Berzerk » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:27 pm

Dante’s Inferno a God of War Clone but still looks just as good.

Berzerk 4

Custom Title: No matter where you go there you are.

Postby XamX » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Berzerk wrote:Dante’s Inferno a God of War Clone but still looks just as good.

I like it way more. I hate God of War.

XamX 5

Postby lunawuff » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:07 am

I've got to mention 'Time and Eternity.'

It received a lot of criticism, some of it even fair, but it feels so much like a playable anime that anyone who is remotely interested in the concept should at least look into it.

I believe it is another one of those that is delisted on the Playstation Store, but I found a copy at my local Gamestop for $10.

lunawuff Newbie

Return to Playstation 3