Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Underrated installments in popular franchises?

Discuss Your Favourite Games, Games You Are Currently Playing or Games You Never Want to Play Again!

Underrated installments in popular franchises?

Postby VoodooVincent » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:25 pm

This was the first one that sprung to mind. People typically mention Return to Castle Wolfenstein or The New Order, however they barely, if ever, mention the 2009 Wolfenstein. While the multiplayer was outsourced and not very good, I thoroughly enjoyed the single player, and I played through it like 3 or 4 times over the years since its release. Unlike other Wolfenstein's, 2009's Wolfenstein used a hub structure, via a somewhat expansive open world, where you could open many of the doors & enter buildings to find secrets, to get missions, talk to citizens, etc. While combat took place in the open world, the missions are still linear, set piece affair, so the spectacle of Wolfenstein isn't lost in its transition from more linear to sandbox.

We won, maggle! #MAGA
VoodooVincent 6

Re: Underrated installments in popular franchises?

Postby rodion » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:09 pm

For some reason Doom 3, a fantastic game, has became an Internet joke because a very loud and annoying minority of people couldn't accept the fact it was different from the originals. Even though it is one of the best selling PC games in retail and was critically acclaimed, these people pushed their hate so far that id Software had to change the game for the "BFG" release; made the game brighter, you have a flashlight all the time, they increased the ammo, which completely changed the original design ideas and atmosphere of the game and made it easier, and turned it from a unique horror FPS, to just another sci-fi FPS.

Another example is Serious Sam 2. Yes, it was a bit ridiculous and too cartoony, but I had a ton of fun playing it, and it also got decent reviews. It has a similar story like Doom 3; there is a loud minority who talks negatively about it every chance they get, so much that Croteam has decided to remake the whole game from ground up. But if you go to Steam, over 1 000 000 people have bought the original game AGAIN once it was released there, and has 88% positive user reviews.

Two great examples that show you how destructive Internet and opinions of smaller groups can be if they get out of control.

rodion 4

Postby XamX » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:31 pm

Super Mario Sunshine (GC)

Image Image

It's my favorite 3D-Mario game ever. I've played and beaten every Mario game there is and Sunshine is the one I had the most fun with. Love this game.

XamX 5

Postby FFTHEWINNER » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:58 pm

Dragon Age 2: While not as good as the other two games(and considering that said two games are two of the greatest of all time,those are some pretty big shoes to fill),it is still quite a decent and enjoyable game that didnt deserve all the hate It got

Mass Effect 3: I hated the ending too,but 5 bad minutes dont make an awesome 30 hours bad. the hate was way too much and the game didnt deserve that.

FFTHEWINNER 9

Postby OldReckless » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:06 pm

The Sonic Advance titles. Until the recent release of Sonic Mania, pretty much all I'd read was how there hadn't been any decent 2D Sonic games since the Megadrive era. In my opinion, the GBA installments (and the NGPC version) are every bit as good.

Praise Kek!

Spoiler:
Did I say you could open this spoiler, you fiend? The temerity.
OldReckless 3

Location: I'm outside your home. Watching. Waiting. Mas..ticating...
Custom Title: Cats beware!

Postby 607jf » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:13 pm

OldReckless wrote:The Sonic Advance titles. Until the recent release of Sonic Mania, pretty much all I'd read was how there hadn't been any decent 2D Sonic games since the Megadrive era. In my opinion, the GBA installments (and the NGPC version) are every bit as good.

Yet two of my favorite games. I'd ever since the grumps played the awful steam port more people hate on it.

607jf 4

Postby cody1638 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:07 pm

sonic heroes, gameplay ultra similar to sonic adventure but better imo

halo 4, generally hated by halo fans on the internet

doom64, basically a doom 2 sequel and not a port like people thought. really good pc port called doom 64 EX

medal of honor 2010, got compared too much trying to compete with call of duty

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
cody1638 4

Postby UnholyArceus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:40 pm

this is really tough...

bomberman 64 and bomberman 64 the second attack are sleeper hits shame we never got remakes of them... would of been a BLAST!!

this is what needs to happen to gamestop.
UnholyArceus 9

Custom Title: i'm getting mugged by gamestop.

Postby Demon27248 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:24 pm

Serious Sam: The Next Encounter
This was a PS2 and GCN exclusive entry of a franchise that was primarily PC, which may explain the lack of popularity. It was a very good sequel to the original 2 encounters that added vehicles on the map and new weapons.

Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike
While it was largely dismissed as an expansion to the second Ghost Recon game, Summit Strike actually changed up the single player/co-operative gameplay completely. It returned to the non-linear level design of the first Ghost Recon, while retaining the map sizes of GR2. The AI was some of the best I've ever seen in a tactical shooter. While it's true the same AI might have been present in the original GR2, its prowess could never have been showcased properly in the linear levels. In Summit Strike, they attacked your last known position before it was even a thing with ubisoft games, utilising flanking manoeuvres strategically around the map. This was the only Ghost Recon where my team gets attacked from behind with consistency.

I also 100% agree with Wolfenstein 2009. It was a fantastic shooter in spite of the ways in which it tried to be more like Call of Duty.

Demon27248 3

Postby XC-3730C » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:03 am

I would say Ninja Gaiden for Sega Master System. Most people didn't know about it, since it was a PAL-only release (Master System/Mark III at the time was at it's decline), and most people of course only knew about the trilogy on NES, or the Game Gear game, before the franchise continued onto the Xbox.

Old school RGB systems I own:
Spoiler:
AV Famicom w/ NES2RGB + FDS drive w/write mod
SNES
N64
Sega Genesis 1/Sega CD 1, Super Magic Drive Plus
Sega Saturn w/mod chip + AR 4-in1
Atari Jaguar w/Jag CD
3DO (RGB modded)
PSX w/stealth chip
PS2 w/ network adapter, 120gb HDD, FMCB
Neo Geo MVS

HDTV capable systems I own:
Spoiler:
Alienware Alpha i3, 16gb RAM, 256gb SSD
Nvidia Shield TV (Android)
Xbox 360 phat Jasper RGH'd
PS3 Slim with CFW

Other systems:
Spoiler:
Gamecube platinum w/Viper case, Qoob SX, GBA player
Dreamcast w/GDemu, 128gb SD
Original Xbox v1.6 + X3 chip, green Ghostcase, 2TB HDDHitachi HDD/DVD
XC-3730C 7

Custom Title: We've obtained retro greatness...

Postby EarthwormJames » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:53 am

Mortal Kombat 4: Almost nobody goes back an plays this one, but it's actually pretty solid. Fast gameplay, weapons, epic fatalities. It's still a lot of fun. The N64 version is probably your best bet.

Final Fantasy 9: This is probably the most tragically skipped over installment in the series. It was just a timing issue. PS1 was really old when it came out and everyone was excited about FF10. But this is one of my fav games on the PS1.

EarthwormJames 5

Custom Title: Lumbricus Extraterrestris

Postby FFTHEWINNER » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:34 am

EarthwormJames wrote:Mortal Kombat 4: Almost nobody goes back an plays this one, but it's actually pretty solid. Fast gameplay, weapons, epic fatalities. It's still a lot of fun. The N64 version is probably your best bet.

why the N64 version?Isnt the Dreamcast "Gold" version the Definitive edition?

FFTHEWINNER 9

Postby EarthwormJames » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:15 am

FFTHEWINNER wrote:
EarthwormJames wrote:Mortal Kombat 4: Almost nobody goes back an plays this one, but it's actually pretty solid. Fast gameplay, weapons, epic fatalities. It's still a lot of fun. The N64 version is probably your best bet.

why the N64 version?Isnt the Dreamcast "Gold" version the Definitive edition?

It's also a bit of a mess. N64 and arcade version is better balanced, if lacking in characters and levels. Gold feels tossed together. New characters are cheap and too powerful.

EarthwormJames 5

Custom Title: Lumbricus Extraterrestris

Postby HisDivineShadow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:40 am

I only recently played Serious Sam 2 for the first time (original Xbox version) and its a good game but there's no denying it, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first game ie. 1st & 2nd Encounter. That was very much down to the change in tone and style. I also didn't like the fact that whilst it had more complex looking levels it was, arguably, often more linear than the first game(s) and smaller in scale.

It was/is worthy of criticism IMHO.

Mass Effect 3 I enjoyed the main game as much as the first two but as far as I'm concerned with each game the secondary gameplay ie. the resource gathering, which was what desperately needed more work to improve and expand it in ME1, actually deteriorated. By ME3 it had become cursory almost to the point of redundancy.

That makes the game the worst in the first three games and worthy of criticism too, although not hate.

I'm trying to think of a game in a long running gaming franchise that is underrated unfairly and I'm struggling to think of one that is universally underrated rather than just splitting opinions.

Tomb Raider Underworld is all I can come up with. I'm a long term fan of the old TRs and I've been disappointed with much of what Crystal Dynamics have done to TR since they were given the gig. They messed up the Legacy of Kane series as well.

I'm not a TR: Legend fan at all, it is a decent game, no denying it, but it isn't TR. TR Underworld came in the wake of their second attempt: TR Anniversary a reworking of the original game. That was a curates egg; when it was good I'd argue it was better than than the original. The problem was when they went off piste and introduced new gameplay elements and went too far or simply messed up 'reinterpreting' some of the original game's iconic levels.

But where they stuck to the template of the original it worked. TR Underworld their totally new second new game had clear indications that had carried over and they'd begun to understand what the difference was between a TR game and a generic third person action/adventure/shooter.

Whilst it has some tired and quite frankly rubbish ideas Underworld, at times, is clearly harking back to the Core Studios games and it is better for it.

But that didn't stop it becoming the most underrated, actually almost forgotten, entry in the series.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby HisDivineShadow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:47 pm

Oops! That ^ should have been Legacy of Kain not Kane.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby duwen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:03 pm

XamX wrote:Super Mario Sunshine (GC)

Image Image

It's my favorite 3D-Mario game ever. I've played and beaten every Mario game there is and Sunshine is the one I had the most fun with. Love this game.

Definitely agree with this. Not only my favourite 3d Mario game, but quite possibly my favourite Mario branded game outside of the Kart series.

duwen 3

Custom Title: 絶対領域

Postby Kvothe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Rayman 3 comes to mind. Michel Ancel didn't have much input in its production, and the game has got an undeserved reputation as somewhat of a black sheep, but I really liked it. The platforming is solid even if the game is a bit too linear, and I loved the diversity in gameplay and the minigames. It's my second favorite Rayman game (number one being Rayman Legends).

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is another one. Yeah, it's not much as a Castlevania game, but as an action-adventure it is about as solid as they come. Never understood the hate for this one. I mean, c'mon, name a better 3D Castlevania game than this one. In my opinion, not even Lament of Innocence and Lords of Shadow 2 come close.

Deus Ex: Invisible War also gets some bad rep, but it's really not bad, just different from the first one. Besides, few sequels can hold up to an original as solid as the first Deus Ex.

Black & White 2 I also think was more focused and therefore, pretty good. The game gets some bad rep for lacking multiplayer, but the first one wasn't that big of a success in this department anyway.

Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion, while still considered better than Evolution and Turok (2008), is underrated compared to the first two. This is a real shame, as in my opinion it is probably the best game in the series. It's much more focused and linear, but this actually helps improve the gameplay.

I saw some mentioned Doom 3 and Serious Sam 2 and I have to say that, having played both, I agree. They are really solid games. The first Call of Juarez is also pretty underrated.

One game I haven't played but I still think is harshly judged is Resident Evil 6. Yeah, it doesen't really feel like a Resident Evil game with all that action going on, but those set pieces look amazing! Besides, I've seen some gameplay footage and not once did I seen game breaking bugs or serious glitches. I understand that many were dissapointed and wanted an experience that feels more like a horror game, but giving this 3 or 4 out of 10 is a little ridiculous, especially when most of the publications that gave such low scores usually give games like Call of Duty good reviews. At least RE6 stands out. When was the last time you played a CoD game that felt unique? The way people reacted to this game is a little exagerated. As I've said, I didn't play the game, but I really don't see how it can be a 4/10 game, when all the footage I've seen suggest it should get at least a 7. Yeah, I heard the story sucks, but come on, it's not the first RE game to have this shortcoming!

Kvothe 3

Postby rodion » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:53 pm

HisDivineShadow wrote:I only recently played Serious Sam 2 for the first time (original Xbox version) and its a good game but there's no denying it, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first game ie. 1st & 2nd Encounter. That was very much down to the change in tone and style. I also didn't like the fact that whilst it had more complex looking levels it was, arguably, often more linear than the first game(s) and smaller in scale.

It was/is worthy of criticism IMHO.

It is one thing when a person criticizes it and lists some valid flaws like you did here. Other thing is when people say they played it only for an hour, call it shit without giving any explanation, and say you should ignore it and not play it. That is not a valid argument, it's just being an ignorant ass.

rodion 4

Postby VoodooVincent » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:21 pm

Maybe I'm a bad person, but I actually enjoyed Serious Sam II more than other Serious Sam games. Yes, it was more structured, had more story, etc., but that's kinda why I liked it. Maybe shooting baddies for little to no reason got old for me after a while? Don't get me wrong, I like the Serious Sam games a lot, but I loved Serious Sam II for the reasons huge fans of the franchise hated it...

We won, maggle! #MAGA
VoodooVincent 6

Postby Kvothe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:10 pm

VoodooVincent wrote:Maybe I'm a bad person, but I actually enjoyed Serious Sam II more than other Serious Sam games. Yes, it was more structured, had more story, etc., but that's kinda why I liked it. Maybe shooting baddies for little to no reason got old for me after a while? Don't get me wrong, I like the Serious Sam games a lot, but I loved Serious Sam II for the reasons huge fans of the franchise hated it...

Agree with you. I have yet to play Serious Sam 3: BFE, but I've played the other ones. From a purely historical point of view, I'd say the original Serious Sam is the most influential of the series. It came out of nowhere, it was just 20$, and it blew everyone away with just how good it was. Serious Sam 2, while not being able to catch lightning in a bottle like the original did, is still a solid game. It has more varied locales and enemies, introduces vehicles for the first time in the series and has a certain arcade flavor (score, lives, etc.) that I just found appealing. I'm currently playing the game after I downloaded from this very cool site called The Iso Zone. :D :lol: :lovetiz: I'm really digging the game, and I can't say I understand those that bash it. A game does not need to be the best in its series for it to be enjoyable.

Kvothe 3

Next

Return to General Gaming Chat