Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

My experience with the Xbox One S so far...

Discuss Your Favourite Games, Games You Are Currently Playing or Games You Never Want to Play Again!

My experience with the Xbox One S so far...

Postby ClassicGamer90 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:19 am

I have to say this has honestly been the most disappointing console I've ever had, and I can't imagine the PS4 being much better.

So even though I already have a gaming PC I anxiously awaited the arrival of my Xbox One S in the mail because there's a handful of games I wanted to play and for backwards compatibility, when I get it set up I notice the fan is louder than what it should be and after a quick google search I find it's an extremely common problem with the bearing. I decide to go ahead and install a game (Call of Duty: WWII) and buyers remorse immediately starts to set in, it took hours to install and there were patches for the patches that took nearly just as long so by this point the excitement I had is completely gone and by the time I actually got to play I really wasn't enjoying myself.

I ended up turning on the Power Saving mode so the hard drive wasn't running while the console was off, and happened to hear a ticking when I went to check, once again after a google search I found out this is a known problem which apparently is one of the coils in the power supply. The menu is overly complicated to navigate and confusing, lastnight after a console update I was playing online it said my controller disconnected several times but the controller was still showing connected, when I turned it off the console turned its self back on about 2 minutes later.

Oh and the hard drive is internal so you can't upgrade it or replace it without voiding your warranty so you have to use an external drive. I knew games had to be installed and I knew the hard drive was internal before I purchased it but overall its been a terrible experience and the build quality seems questionable, honestly just feels like a bad version of the Xbox 360.

I mostly knew what I was getting with the Xbox One S aside from the fan and coil but as a warning to potential buyers, if you're looking for a modern gaming device I'd go with building your own PC. It's a higher initial investment at first, but game keys can be had for cheap, there's no pay wall to play online unless its a certain MMO, you can do what you want with it, modders are just as bad on console, and you basically have the entire PC library to choose from, and you can even pirate games if thats your thing. You pick the quality of your parts and how much you spend, and you'll get a better experience.

As for Call of Duty: WWII, while not a perfect game it is fun, the hit detection is WAY better than previous installments.

Systems I own:

Spoiler:
x2 NES
x2 SNES (Orig. & mini)
x1 Super Famicom
x2 Sega Genesis
x2 Nintendo 64
x3 PlayStation (Slim, orig., & orig. w/chip & clear blue shell)
x1 Sega Saturn
x4 Sega Dreamcast (1 w/ clear blue shell)
x2 GameCube (Xeno chip)
x1 GB
x1 GB Pocket
x2 GBC
x2 GBA
x1 GBA SP
x4 PlayStation 2 (2 orig. & 2 slim)
x1 Original Xbox (250GB HDD & UnleashX)
x1 Xbox 360 (Star Wars 320GB)
x1 PlayStation 3 (1TB)
x1 Wii (soft modded, 1TB HDD)
x1 Wii U
x1 DS Lite
x1 DSi XL
x1 3DS XL
X1 PS Vita
x2 PSP (1000, 3000 w/CFW)
x1 Neo Geo X
x1 Retro Freak
ClassicGamer90 4

Re: My experience with the Xbox One S so far...

Postby ISO_Ninja » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:26 am

Bummer!

With all that said, even if the console was perfect... the damn games are still upwards of 50-120gb large. How is that even a feasible market?

ClassicGamer90 wrote:and you can even pirate games if thats your thing.

Why yes, yes it is.

ISO_Ninja 3

Postby Massamo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:52 am

never seen anywhere how they are common things where are you getting this info from you need to get it replaced because they are not common and the usb3 drive run faster then the internal ones do on both the ps4 and xb1 and pc games take time to install as well with updates its a normal thing now days no way around it because the Blu-ray disc have not got the read speed for the games to be played

Steam: Massamo
PSN: Massamo84
XBL: Massamo
Twitter: @Massamo
Youtube: Massamo
Origin: Massamo
Nintendo: SW-8374-1430-4238

Consoles List
Spoiler:
Consoles:
Super Nintendo
Sega Mega Drive 2
Nintendo 64
Playstation 2
Xbox
Xbox 360
Playstation 3
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo Wii U
Xbox One S
Xbox One X
Playstation 4 Pro
Playstation
Nintendo Switch
Sega Dreamcast
Super Nintendo Mini

Handheld:
Game Boy
Game Boy Advance
PSP
Nintendo DS

Pc:
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X CPU
16GB at DDR4 Ram
ASUS ROG Strix X370-F Motherboard
ASUS Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

Screen:
Samsung U28D590D 4k monitor
Massamo 5

Postby darkricky » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:25 am

I only want xbone for Forza Horizon 2 & 3. I am not even sure should I buy one expensive console only for those 2 games. For multi platformers I prefer PS4. A proper hack for xbone will solve all my problems.

Game consoles I owned
1)PS2 Slim
2)Dreamcast
3)Xbox Original
4)PS3 Slim 320GB
5)Wii 1st Model
6)PSP-3004
7)PS Vita Phat
8)DS Lite
9)Xbox 360 S 250GB
10)3DS 1st Model
darkricky 4

Custom Title: Wanderer

Postby Biggsy666 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:07 am

I don't have a XBone but i agree that the time taken now to be able to play a game is becoming a joke. Even on my ps3 it sometimes is an issue. The other day i went to put Minecraft on for my son for an hour before bed and he didn't get to play because of updates downloading and installing (first for the system and then for the game), it would have been quicker to put something on the ZX Spectrum for him. I have a friend with ps4 console and they regularly complain of the same thing but taking even longer, especially with a new game.

My Systems
Spoiler:
Acorn Electron
CPC464
C64
ZX Spectrum +2
Atari 2600
NES & Famicom w/ FDS
SNES & Super Famicom
N64 1 x PAL, 1 x NTSC-J
Gamecube x2 Xeno
Wii x2 softmod
Master System
Mega Drive MKI RGB w/switches & MKII
Saturn
Dreamcast
PS1 Audiophile, 3 chipped & 1 slim w/screen
PS2 1 fat silver with FMCB/120gb HDD & 1 slim w/screen
PS3 1 fat, 1 slim
Xbox (soft mod 200gb & 1 Crystal hard mod 120gb)
Xbox 360
PSP x2 CFW
GameGear
Wonderswan
N-Gage & N-Gage QD
Gameboy, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, 2x GB Macro
Nintendo DS, DSL, DSi & 3DS

My custom Console Projects
Biggsy666 9

Custom Title: The Reverend

Postby Koyuki » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:11 am

I got a XBOX ONE S this year too, previously I had a PS3, WiiU, PS4.

The PS4 is even worse. You may not know, but PSN is awful and it takes ages to load a page if you wanna buy something there. Most of the times I end giving up because either it is too slow, or in the middle of the process it just stop loading the pages and for a buy there are several. Also the store is a mess, not the easist task to find what you want simply because it goes by alphabetical order and for example, if you wanna buy something with letter D, like Dead Rising...you have to scroll to every damn DEAD OR ALIVE 5 dlc costume, and I swear, there are thousands of dlc itens to that game...

So just to get to Dead Rising title you need to pass over thousands of custom content from DEAD OR ALIVE 5.

The menu is overly complicated to navigate and confusing,

I agree with you in this, the XBOX ONE menus are confusing, I still dont know how do I close a game from it.

The only really fast console is the Switch, but again, it has nothing on it, it doesnt load anything except the eshop, and I like it that way. To get to eshop on it it goes instantly, and it load the games just as fast. You just turn it on and get to play. Its the clear winner in this department.

The WiiU menu was nice, but slow.

About technical issues with XBOX ONE, I never had any. I also got it for backwards compatibility and cheap prices of physical discs.

Believe it or not, in my country, physical discs are much cheaper than digital content.

Give it a chance, its a good console, in my opinion, better than the PS4, now this one is selling and its the winner of the generation since it started and I cant see why. Sony games are just...meh...

Microsoft controller is also much better than the awful dual shock 4, the batteries last so little on this with that crap blue light always on...i tend to play PS4 with my controller conected at my notebook that is always on my bed.

Koyuki 2

Postby Mute » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:21 am

Maybe its time to move from console to pc exclusively..
Every Console game is ported or has a pc counterpart
And Consoles today are basically computers..

I used to console game.. i had a xbx360, but after all the bs..pay this for that..dl this for that..update this for that...server problems...etc..etc...etc.. I decided to go pc full time..

On the pc you have more freedom to find good multiplayer games, and some older games still running servers..

Oh and COD WWII on pc is the same game on xbox one s, and you can even use a controller and even better there is less patching/updated needed to run the same game.

Ill still console game,give me a super nintendo anyday

I feel like some people would rather "socially network" and potentially get the wrong answer slowly, rather than just use google and get the right answer immediately.
Mute 4

Postby TheTechDoc » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:29 am

coming from someone who repairs, refurbs and just generally messes with these consoles dam near every day for a job, I have to say I agree with a lot of what your saying, the problems your experiencing, while common, are not normal, I would get a replacement if at all possible,

however when it comes to the platform as a whole, I agree, every system I test, update, restore, repair etc is an absolute pain and something I dread, the fact that you need to install every single game like its a pc and then download butt loads of patches is bullshit, the system UI is SOOOO BAAAAD, to this day I dont know my way around without having to stop and think about what im looking for for a second,

one thing I will say is that while not perfect, ps4 is a LOT LOT LOT better, most games dont need install and the system UI wasn't put together by Picasso while on meth, but overall your right, pc is the way to go by far.

Spoiler:
2x xbox w/IND bios +1tb hdd/80gb hdd
1x ps2 slim w/fcmb 1x ps2 phat w/fhdb
1x ps1 chipped
gamecube w/sd launcher
psp 1000,go with cfw
2x dslite and dsphat w r4i/acekard2i
gameboy original/pocket/color/advance/sp/micro
2x wii w/softmod
snes
nes
n64
360 jasper RGH CR4 XL
360 slim RGH CR4 XL
PS Vita 3.60 with Henkaku
3DS 9.2.0 CFW Emunand RXtools/luma3ds
Sega dreamcast
Sega Saturn
Wiiu w/CFW 5.5.1
PS4
TheTechDoc 7

Custom Title: Put away those fiery biscuits!

Postby Sabkahn » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:52 am

Massamo wrote:the usb3 drive run faster then the internal ones do on both the ps4 and xb1 and pc games take time to install as well with updates its a normal thing now days no way around it because the Blu-ray disc have not got the read speed for the games to be played

That´s because they cheap out on the drives. At least on the PS4, don´t know for the One Line of Systems. PS4´s come with 5400 RPM drives, no wonder external ones are slightly faster. If you use the same drives internal and external you get at least the same load times on both, if not better with internal.

I bet with the BD-Drive it´s a similar Story. Considering that my 2010 PC Drive loads up BD-Discs just as fast as DVD´s or CD´s and that I can jump around in BD Movies in an Instant I can´t complain too much about the speed. Sure, with a BD the Speed is slower than on a DVD, but I can´t really see why the entire game has to be Installed, partial installs would be enough, i.e. everything Sound related could be easily streamed off the disc, and yes, Sound can be a large portion of the overall Filesize.

And while it is true that PC games have to be installed and updated, it is still different. On PC you always had to install your games (unless it was one of the uncommon Booter games where inserted the Floppy before starting the PC and it would then Boot right into the game), consoles where always the simple "put it into the system and play" affair, but nowadays the console versions could take you longer to get them running. If I where to buy the Retail Disc Version of Witcher 3 for both PC and PS4 today and start the install on both of them at the same time, I bet you that I could play the PC Version long before the PS4 would have finished it´s initial Install. And Patches on PC games are mostly a non-issue these days. Steam, GoG Galaxy, uPlay, Origin, all of them keep your installed games up to date without you doing anything, if I download a game from them that got patches at an earlier date you ndownload the game ready to go. And at least on GoG Galaxy you cann roll back a game to an older Patch Version just in case a patch breaks the game for you.

Sabkahn 4

Postby pirate_tar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:05 am

I'm a pirate.....so all my games are pirate games, LOL :D

pirate_tar 6

Postby ZX81v2 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Why would Micro$oft release a working no breaking console?
If it breaks, you buy another one... So you can continue playing the games you.... rent....

If they didn't fall over, Micro$oft would be broke !

The day Microsoft make something that doesn't suck, will be the day they start selling Vacuum Cleaners...

PS2 (Phat) + Network Adapter + SATA Bridge + 2TB HDD = Insanity+1 !
Wanna Know More > theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=49420&hilit=+sata

FreeMCBoot Installer - OPL 0.8/9 + HDL0.8c
Game Compatibility Checker. WinHIIP User
ZX81v2's MAME/ARCADE Thread Here
FreeMCBoot Install Service "UK" Thread HERE
MY PS2 OPL 0.8 HDD Game Compatibility List Click Here 100% Safe

Latest MESS/MAME Roms : Retroroms.info < NEW SITE !

ImageImageImageImage

If you are/WERE a PS2 Developer please check PS2Home out !
Designed & (C)2013-2017 by ZX81v2
ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby ryder4life » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:52 pm

Mute wrote:Maybe its time to move from console to pc exclusively..
Every Console game is ported or has a pc counterpart
And Consoles today are basically computers..

I used to console game.. i had a xbx360, but after all the bs..pay this for that..dl this for that..update this for that...server problems...etc..etc...etc.. I decided to go pc full time..

On the pc you have more freedom to find good multiplayer games, and some older games still running servers..

Oh and COD WWII on pc is the same game on xbox one s, and you can even use a controller and even better there is less patching/updated needed to run the same game.

Ill still console game,give me a super nintendo anyday

i don't see a Bloodborne or nioh or hell horizon zero dawn. Theres lots of console games that never come to PC. Not sure where you think they all do.

I prefer consoles. Besides the XB1 worst console ever made, and here they thought lets make a 4k console ya cause that will help sales. What about games for it???. I put mine in the closet and only run the PS4. Install times are barely noticable game updates are fast. I just don't care much for pc gaming as it doesn't offer me anything. I don't like to mod my games as i prefer to play them the way they were intended lol ya i know.

ryder4life 8

Custom Title: Gamecube Preserver

Postby Massamo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:44 pm

have no idea why people have problems with the dashboard on xbox one I think its way better then ps4 one maybe its just I'm uses to it
yes I have ps4 pro and xb1x and got to say I never touch my ps4 that much only when it has games that come out that not on any other system my xbox one is my main system with around 600 games for it

Steam: Massamo
PSN: Massamo84
XBL: Massamo
Twitter: @Massamo
Youtube: Massamo
Origin: Massamo
Nintendo: SW-8374-1430-4238

Consoles List
Spoiler:
Consoles:
Super Nintendo
Sega Mega Drive 2
Nintendo 64
Playstation 2
Xbox
Xbox 360
Playstation 3
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo Wii U
Xbox One S
Xbox One X
Playstation 4 Pro
Playstation
Nintendo Switch
Sega Dreamcast
Super Nintendo Mini

Handheld:
Game Boy
Game Boy Advance
PSP
Nintendo DS

Pc:
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X CPU
16GB at DDR4 Ram
ASUS ROG Strix X370-F Motherboard
ASUS Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

Screen:
Samsung U28D590D 4k monitor
Massamo 5

Postby oldxbox75 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:46 pm

ClassicGamer90 wrote:I Oh and the hard drive is internal so you can't upgrade it or replace it without voiding your warranty so you have to use an external drive. I knew games had to be installed and I knew the hard drive was internal before I purchased it but overall its been a terrible experience and the build quality seems questionable, honestly just feels like a bad version of the Xbox 360.

Was there ever "a good version of the Xbox 360!"
The cracks in the MS Console Development Division were starting to show when that came out.
Remember the RROD?
They have only got worse and worse over time ( Or rather more lazy to test them fully from average Joe's point of view!)
:lovetiz:

oldxbox75 6

Postby ryder4life » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:58 pm

oldxbox75 wrote:
ClassicGamer90 wrote:I Oh and the hard drive is internal so you can't upgrade it or replace it without voiding your warranty so you have to use an external drive. I knew games had to be installed and I knew the hard drive was internal before I purchased it but overall its been a terrible experience and the build quality seems questionable, honestly just feels like a bad version of the Xbox 360.

Was there ever "a good version of the Xbox 360!"
The cracks in the MS Console Development Division were starting to show when that came out.
Remember the RROD?
They have only got worse and worse over time ( Or rather more lazy to test them fully from average Joe's point of view!)
:lovetiz:

ive had my jasper 360 still work to this day and i got it direct from amazon not a third party seller as a refurbished unit. Never had issues with it or the RROD.

ryder4life 8

Custom Title: Gamecube Preserver

Postby kremiso » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 pm

thanks for this topic
it clears a little more all my doubts about
last-gen consoles (xbox1, ps4)

kremiso 6

Custom Title: Nostalgia Generator

Postby rodion » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:03 pm

I don't get it when people still claim consoles are so much simpler than using PCs. The last console I had was a PS2 and all I had to do to play a game is connect the console to a TV and insert the disc. No patches, no online user accounts, no complicated user interfaces, no installation and disc space management, no internal and external drive nonsense, no ads on my screen... just put a disc an play. Extremely simple.

If I bought a new console today, even with all my previous experience with PCs and consoles, I know it would take me days to figure out all the stuff and how to use it properly. It's not plug and play anymore, you need to take time and learn how to use modern consoles.

rodion 4

Postby XamX » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:21 pm

I have no idea why some people buy a Xbone.
PC, PS4 & Switch is all you need.

Yes, I'm biased because I hate and loathe M$ and I'm boycotting the Xbone since M$ tried to fuck gamers in april/may of 2013 - but even a neutral person has to admit you don't need a Xbone because you have all the multiplatform titles on PC & PS4 and the "exclusives" are also on PC.

Well, ok. Foe-List just updated.
XamX 5

Postby 607jf » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:15 am

XamX wrote:I have no idea why some people buy a Xbone.
PC, PS4 & Switch is all you need.

Yes, I'm biased because I hate and loathe M$ and I'm boycotting the Xbone since M$ tried to fuck gamers in april/may of 2013 - but even a neutral person has to admit you don't need a Xbone because you have all the multiplatform titles on PC & PS4 and the "exclusives" are also on PC.

if your really cheap like me just an core I5 pc and a switch. ;)

607jf 4

Postby XamX » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:12 am

^ Yes, but to play the Sony exclusives you need a PS4, that's why I have one for Bloodborne, Yakuza, Wipeout, Everybody's Golf, DOA Xtreme 3, Farpoint ... as well as for Red Dead Redemption 2 which won't come out for PC or Switch.

Well, ok. Foe-List just updated.
XamX 5

Next

Return to General Gaming Chat