Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Steel Battalion

Discuss Your Favourite Games, Games You Are Currently Playing or Games You Never Want to Play Again!

Steel Battalion

Postby cat » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:25 pm

I picked this game up back in about 2003 when it was first released, i got the one with the green buttons paid £200 for it new back then.
I was having an ebay trawl the other day and it seems the game has got quite the cult following, it's going for high prices nowadays.
I was wondering if any other TIZZERS have the game and do you actually like it ???.
Personally i'm on the fence, it take's 15-20 mins to set up and it's one of the most unforgiving games i've ever played.
I've never got past the 6th-7th mission (if memory serves me right) where you gotta walk across steel net's and take the battleship out.
It's been sat up boxed in my attic for year's, i ain't played it in ages.

Consoles I Own

Spoiler:
My systems....

snes x 2 and 16 mb wildcard
N64
Gamecube
Wii
Master system
Megadrive x 4
Mega CD
32X
Saturn x 3
Dreamcast
Neo AES
NGCD
Neo CMVS
3DO x 2 FZ-1 and FZ-10
PS1
PS2
PS3
XBOX x3
XBOX 360
Sega nomad
Game gear
PSP x 4
GBA
DS x 2
Cocktail cab with mame
cat 8

Custom Title: shmup fan wanna try to beat me hahaha, good luck..

Re: Steel Battalion

Postby Sabkahn » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:55 pm

I have it, I have the later blue Button version of the Controller and I have both games, Line of Contact even being sealed and I guess it will probably stay that way forever because why should I really bother with it?

And even though I´m not really good at it I love it. I love it for the pure insanity that is the controller, I love it because it is unforgiving, my first attempt on the first Mission will probably always be one of my top gaming memories because it´s just nuts to throw you into your first small Battle without any Tutorial or preparation, It´s one of my Top 10 favourites despite the fact that I probably never beat it.

Sabkahn 5

Postby cat » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:12 pm

The controller is pretty cool sabkahn TBH, changing gears and using the 3 foot pedals is a pain though, you ever use the windsceen wipers lol.

Consoles I Own

Spoiler:
My systems....

N64
Gamecube
Wii
Master system
Megadrive x 4
Mega CD
32X
Saturn x 3
Dreamcast
Neo AES
NGCD
Neo CMVS
3DO x 2 FZ-1 and FZ-10
PS1
PS2
PS3
XBOX x3
XBOX 360
Sega nomad
Game gear
PSP x 4
GBA
DS x 2
Cocktail cab with mame
cat 8

Postby wakinafuf » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:00 am

the sure thing is : the massive gamepad set for this game would be ideal if you wanted to shoot your homemade version of a homemade megazord cockpit with yer own costume :mrgreen:

My actual BlackList : Electronic Arts, Activision, Ubisoft, Blizzard, Capcom,Konami, Square-Enix, Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple, Sony.

Systems i own : Atari 2600, Amstrad 464 (cassette)/6128, Sufami/Famicom, NES, Master System I/II, Genesis I/II, Amiga 500/1000, Gameboy, Sufami Turbo, SNES, Gameboy Color, Mega-CD, Panasonic 3DO, Philips CD-I, Atari Jaguar, Neo-Geo, Nec PC-Engine/TurboGraphX 16, Playstation/PS-One, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Wonderswan, PS2 fat'n slim.

systems newly aquired : Commodore SX 64
wakinafuf 5

Custom Title: scourge of the retards

Postby qedeshim » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:52 am

I like it but I've never had the time to spend with it. The only problems with it for me is that it takes time to pull the controller out. And I could never find a way to play it off the hdd since most of the buttons trigger an igr.

On a side note it works well with a lot of the Mech Warrior games if you have a xbox to usb adapter.

qedeshim 5

Postby Sabkahn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:24 pm

cat wrote:The controller is pretty cool sabkahn TBH, changing gears and using the 3 foot pedals is a pain though, you ever use the windsceen wipers lol.

In fact, I did use the Windscreen Wiper. It was an accident and not on purpose, but that is the attention to detail I love so much about the game. There was no reason what so ever for them to include stuff like the wipers or the cassette deck for in-cockpit entertainment, but they they did it just because they could.

But yeah, the 3 Pedals really throw you off a bit, the Brake is my least used pedal of them all because I prefer to just slam in a lower gear while getting off the gas and since I´m used to driving manual transmission cars I tend to press the third "clutch" Pedal when changing gears, but as you can Imagine this results in quite a lot of unwanted dodge-jumps from my mech :lol:

qedeshim wrote:On a side note it works well with a lot of the Mech Warrior games if you have a xbox to usb adapter.

I heard about that possibility. I guess you need a special driver for it to work though?

Sabkahn 5

Postby Moandain » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:40 pm

so I have 2 sets, one green and one blue, and I love the game. It is the best when you take the time a setup a 1v1 game. (line of contact required.)

The idea of real consequences was really nice in the first game. Lose a VT if you mess up in a mission, or if you don't eject, there goes your save file.

@signaure = <Insert_Smart_and_wise_comment>

Consoles I own
Spoiler:
NES FRONT LOADER
SNES
SNES jr
N64
Gamecube
Wii x2
Wiiu
GBA
GBA SP
3DS XL
ATARI 2600 JR
ATARI 5200
ATARI 7800
ATARI JAGUAR
ATARI LYNX
3DO
CD-I
INTELLIVISION
COMMODORE 64
RADIOSHACK TRS80 COLOR
TG-16
PC-FX
MASTER SYSTEM
GENESIS/32X/CD MODEL 2
GENESIS MODEL 2
SATURN X2
DREAMCAST
GAMEGEAR
NOMAD
NEO GEO AES
NEO GEO POCKET COLOR
XBOX X2
XBOX 360 X2
XBOX ONE
PS1 X2
psone w/ screen
PS2 FAT X2
PS3 SLIM X2
PSP 3000
VITA 1001
PSTV
RETROPIE

My YouTube
Moandain 4

Postby AdmiralShlong » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:45 pm

I have never owned the game, but I played it many times and I absolutely love it. Anyone wants to sell me a control set I'm interested.

I love how hard it is, and the fact there is only one checkpoint. I love how everything looks and feels. The whole control set is great with the essential fuctions like oxygen control and doors, and the extras like the windshield wiper and cassette you guys mentioned. I wish there was a tutorial just because of the lack of checkpoints leading to seeing the first mission a literal thousand times, but not a huge deal.

My best performance Box
Spoiler:
320GB ST3320620A 7200RPM 16MB Cache
X-DU Alpha 512KB ModChip & Toggle Switch
Gelid GC-Extreme Thermal Compound
StarTech 80 Conductor U-ATA Cable
80mm Xilence Hydro Bearing
Taiyo Yuden Clock Cap
XBMC Build 3.5.3 Dash
128MB DDR RAM
K=1.00.4817.01
TSOP=X2 4983
iND-BiOS 5004
1.0 board

Systems
Spoiler:
Dimension 4400:
CPU 2GHz 512KB cache 400MHz FSB
2GB DDR RAM
Dell Dimension 4700:
CPU 2.8GHz 1MB cache 800MHz FSB
4GB DDR RAM
360:
Corona V5
500GB Seagate Momentus HDD
Gelid GC-E Compound
HDD Door Vents
40mm Noctua FLX SSO2 PSU fan
PS2:
FAT
60mm Sunon Maglev Bearing Fan
AdmiralShlong 3

Custom Title: Mainboard Manipulator

Postby Nightbreed » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:40 pm

I bought this around 3 years ago (cheaper blue button version) Still cost me £100 though - and a 3 hour round trip to collect it. But the guy did give me another xbox too with a xecuter 2.6 chip in it which was nice :)

I am absolutely hopeless at this game - but still really enjoy playing it which is the main thing I guess :)
I was going to try the PC driver and see how it worked with MechWarrior titles but never got around to it.

Like yourself mine is packed away upstairs at the moment - I used to have it out and set up, but found when the kids would pop over to visit sometimes with friends too - they would be drawn to the controller and flick / press all the buttons - wiggle the sticks etc even when it was off with the usual "Sorry dad, can't help it!" excuse >.<

Still I love the controller - this one and the Saturns Virtua Stick Pro 2 player arcade stick being my favourites.

Nightbreed 4

Postby AdmiralShlong » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:48 pm

qedeshim wrote:...I could never find a way to play it off the hdd since most of the buttons trigger an igr.

I never tried to run it off HDD. What BIOS/dash combos did you run with that problem?

My best performance Box
Spoiler:
320GB ST3320620A 7200RPM 16MB Cache
X-DU Alpha 512KB ModChip & Toggle Switch
Gelid GC-Extreme Thermal Compound
StarTech 80 Conductor U-ATA Cable
80mm Xilence Hydro Bearing
Taiyo Yuden Clock Cap
XBMC Build 3.5.3 Dash
128MB DDR RAM
K=1.00.4817.01
TSOP=X2 4983
iND-BiOS 5004
1.0 board

Systems
Spoiler:
Dimension 4400:
CPU 2GHz 512KB cache 400MHz FSB
2GB DDR RAM
Dell Dimension 4700:
CPU 2.8GHz 1MB cache 800MHz FSB
4GB DDR RAM
360:
Corona V5
500GB Seagate Momentus HDD
Gelid GC-E Compound
HDD Door Vents
40mm Noctua FLX SSO2 PSU fan
PS2:
FAT
60mm Sunon Maglev Bearing Fan
AdmiralShlong 3

Custom Title: Mainboard Manipulator

Postby cat » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:06 pm

What other game require's you to flick 6-10 switch's just to turn your mec on lol.
Took me a while to suss out the manouvere to spring up back from the floor when you were knocked down.
And i've never been good at calling in bullet/missile drop's.

Consoles I Own

Spoiler:
My systems....

N64
Gamecube
Wii
Master system
Megadrive x 4
Mega CD
32X
Saturn x 3
Dreamcast
Neo AES
NGCD
Neo CMVS
3DO x 2 FZ-1 and FZ-10
PS1
PS2
PS3
XBOX x3
XBOX 360
Sega nomad
Game gear
PSP x 4
GBA
DS x 2
Cocktail cab with mame
cat 8

Return to General Gaming Chat