Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Do you still enjoy first-person shooters?

Discuss Your Favourite Games, Games You Are Currently Playing or Games You Never Want to Play Again!

Do you still enjoy first-person shooters?

Postby VoodooVincent » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:32 pm

I'll admit, FPS games have always been some of my favorite (or just first-person games in general), however I started to get a bit tired of them towards the end of last generation. Call of Duty games began to bore me as soon as I started playing them. I typically prefer first-person games that immerse you in their environments & let you move off the beaten path a little bit. I'm fine with linear games, however I absolutely hate games that just have you pushing forward. For example, I played the last Call of Duty, WWII -- which, by the way, I was excited about the return to history -- but it was a terrible game that was scripted and linear to the point that it felt like nothing more than a rollercoaster ride, and not a very good one. There was one level, a stealth mission, which was rather solid, but the rest of the game was as boring & standard as a Call of Duty game can get. All of that said, I have enjoyed quite a few FPS titles this generation:

If you haven't played this Call of Duty, play it. First of all, it's unlike the rest of them. It's science fiction like Advanced Warfare, however it's exponentially better than that game. It has a hub, allowing for a bit more openness to the campaign, giving you side missions if you wish to complete them. Secondly, the story & characters are actually good. Thirdly, the graphics & how detailed everything is immerses you in the environments. Lastly, ex-Naughty Dog people worked on it & it shows in the quality of the game. This is the only Call of Duty title I've enjoyed this generation. Quite frankly, it's the best since Black Ops, IMO, which was the best since COD2. I wasn't a Modern Warfare fan, if I'm being honest.

This game is pretty similar to Infinite Warfare in how you navigate the environments & you having a robot companion. Like Infinite Warfare, it also features one of the better stories in a first-person shooter in recent years. I'd say that I prefer the level design in Titanfall 2, however Infinite Warfare is no slouch in this regard. If you dig science fiction games with good-great narratives, you can't go wrong with these two. And since they're both cheap, I highly recommend them.

ImageImage

To continue with the trend of first-person games with good storytelling & fun gameplay, the Wolfenstein games both come highly recommended. While I prefer The New Order to its sequel, the sequel is definitely worth playing through. And while I didn't post a picture of it, The Old Blood is also worth a playthrough, too. One con I have with the sequel, however, is that it's so obviously trying hard to push social justice themes such as fat shaming, the #PunchANazi thing that was popular for a second (it's obvious they're trying to compare Trump to Hitler, which is so incredibly dumb on so many levels), etc. While that stuff would normally piss me off & I'd say to avoid it altogether, it's still a really good game. Just buy it used or incredibly cheap so that you're not helping the developers who tried to shove this crap down our throats.

VoodooVincent 7

Re: Do you still enjoy first-person shooters?

Postby TheOmikronNomadSoul » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:38 pm

The only FPS's I have been playing is Overwatch. Cancer community, but I enjoy the crap out of it. However one that is seriously fun and just screams 90's shooters is DUSK. Like Doom, Quake, 90's shooters in general? Of course you do why else would you be here? Get DUSK people. It's a fantastic game.

TheOmikronNomadSoul 7

Custom Title: I'm Just trying to "Lion" The Mood

Postby acr250rider » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 pm

I play Star Wars Battle Front 1&2, COD WWII and I enjoy them still.
I no longer play any Battlefield games because it seems like I never get any good kills. I don't know if its just my skills or if its the hackers. I can tell 60% of the time when someone if jamming or its just my skills. Other than that I haven't played any other Halo or Destiny etc. . .

Spoiler:
Systems owned:
(2) Nintendo
(3) Sega Genesis/ (1) Cd /32X
(2) Super Nintendo
(2) Nintendo 64
(2) Sony PS1 1 REGULAR / 1 Chipped
(2) Soft Modded PS2 Phat
Dreamcast
Panasonic 3do
(4) soft modded Original Xbox
Pokémon Gale of Darkness Gamecube W/GBA Player.
(2) Xbox 360 1 Slim/1 Phat
(2) Ps3`s one jailbroken one not.
(2) Soft modded Wii
(2) PS4
Xbox one
(2) Wii U
Saturn (running Pseudo).
Sony PSP 6.20 Pro-B9 permanent .
acr250rider 7

Custom Title: Its all good Bro, Lets just play some games!

Postby schmupluvr » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:58 pm

I have ran the campaign on 90% of all fps. Don't get into them quite as much as I did in the past. I did enjoy COD WW2 but it was short and noticeably linear. (Thank you Steam hackers)

Still haven't played/bought COD MW Remastered but lately I sure have been itching too. I still hold modern warfare in high regard. After 9/11 and that game comes out, first one like it, and it was a grand slam. I even got up early a few times before work to finish the campaign before a coworker did. haha.

Titanfall 2 has a very good campaign I thought. Infinite Warfare is more of the same with newer gadgets, not bad tho. Halo 5 mehh ok, just some random fps thoughts.
I do need to try SWBF 2 campaign. I didn't care for Star Wars Battlefield 1 but I heard the campaign is much improved on 2.

Spoiler:
PSTV Henkaku Enso, 2TB ext hdd, dualshock 4
TSOP Xbox/CoinOPS/Ninja
Colecovision w/SD
Sega-any
TG-16
NES
PS3 CECHA01
PS4 w/1TB sshd
Wii loaded

Trinitrons, D-Series JVC and Toshiba CRTs. Lucky to have 3 curved screens with Y,Pb,Pr too!
schmupluvr 5

Custom Title: The Analog Kid

Postby wakinafuf » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:00 pm

i'd rather blow my head off rather than playing any of the call of shitty. the last big fps i played was borderland 2. i used to play a shitload of fps in the past, but in this last 15 years, most of the fps created were total turds when not uberglitched pieces of shit (farcry series). the best i played post 2000 is most certainly STALKER. many people will recommand mass effect and turds like that, but overhype is not something that makes a good game. concerning overwatch..another overhyped turd, and death to blizzard-activision. if i wanna play some FPS i'll stay retro.

My actual BlackList : Electronic Arts, Activision, Ubisoft, Blizzard, Capcom,Konami, Square-Enix, Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple, Sony.

Systems i own : Atari 2600, Amstrad 464 (cassette)/6128, Sufami/Famicom, NES, Master System I/II, Genesis I/II, Amiga 500/1000, Gameboy, Sufami Turbo, SNES, Gameboy Color, Mega-CD, Panasonic 3DO, Philips CD-I, Atari Jaguar, Neo-Geo, Nec PC-Engine/TurboGraphX 16, Playstation/PS-One, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Wonderswan, PS2 fat'n slim.

systems newly aquired : Commodore SX 64
wakinafuf 5

Custom Title: scourge of the retards

Postby sasapinjic » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:11 pm

Nope, because i never like them in first place. ;)

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(Penninless Scumbag)

Postby nornor1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:16 pm

I just like the campaigns, I never liked playing multiplayer online. only local multiplayer, or local/online co-op.

Systems I own:
Spoiler:
2 DC's W & B 1 GDEMU
N64 Rgb Mod- w/ED64
PSONE w/screen- Chipped
PS2 Phat & Slim(w/Joytech LCD) both Chipped
Ps3 2x SS
Ps4
Xbox OG-Tsop flashed 2gb HDD
X360 & slim-Ixtreme
XbOneX
Sega Saturn-Chipped
Wii- modded
Wii-U
New 3ds XL
Pspgo- cfw
Ps Vita-Enzo
NES RGB mod w/ED
JVC X'EYE w/32x/Mega ED
SNES Jr.-Rgb mod w/SD2Snes
Pc-E Duo R. w/Turbo ED
NeoGeo MVS w/NeoSD.

Trustworthy Traders:
Spoiler:
emotimmyturn
turfster
reverendjohnnyblaze
ficeto001
XC-3730C
bahamutfan64
catch_2030
DreamcastDude1999
Dreamcast459
blakd3th
Superrayman3
psydefx
WARE-WOLF
SumOfAllFear5
nornor1 6

Postby FFTHEWINNER » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:44 pm

never played them much and never will play them much. i like games that has a deep story and tons of stuff/quests to explore/do,such as RPGs. "Walk forward,kill people,rinse and repeat"is extremely boring to me. not attacking anyone who likes them though. just my preference :)

Last edited by FFTHEWINNER on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FFTHEWINNER 9

Postby gentleheretic » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:47 pm

Depends. If by "still enjoy" you mean getting new ones, then no, I haven't played a new shooter since Bulletstorm. But if you simply mean playing, then I'm rotating Doom, Duke 3D, and Halo almost daily, with countless others sprinkled in-between. I really need to pry myself away from Doom mods in particular, I've quit too many RPG's and adventure games in favor of blasting demons yet again.

gentleheretic 2

Custom Title: Ooh, what does this do?

Postby Gamerone » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:54 pm

Well it wasn't a shooter, but it was first person. I'm talking about South Park on N64. Love that game!

I'M ONE WHO LIKES TO PLAY GAMES™ :yoshi: :1up: MARIO WORLD
MARIO'S DREAM GIRL :question: :mario: :oldmario: MARIO BROS
Spoiler:
MAMA MIA!!!!!!! ::mariohead:
Gamerone 5

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:02 am

Single person campaigns for me too.

I enjoy a good FPS but there are just so (too?) many of them, I have enough in my unplayed games collection to last me years. To keep my interest in them fresh I deliberately limit the number I play every year.

Because of this I'm like 5 - 10 years behind whatever is the current favourite. The newest FPS I've played was Wolfenstein The New Order on XB360 which I did last year. That was really good and in the last couple of years I've done both Metro games and Far Cry 3.

Loved the latter in particular, one of the best FPS I've played on the XB360. I also played the excellent HL2 and the Episodes thanks to The Orange Box, arguably the greatest games compilation package ever.

If the utterly brilliant Portal 1 & 2 counts as FPS I've done those too.

Most recent FPS I played was actually the first Halo, enjoyed it a great deal eventually and Timesplitters FP has been my goto game for a quick blast for over 10 years. I also do some even more retro stuff, a couple of years ago I finally finished my slow playthough of Doom I/Doom II and a whole load of their 'wads'. The level design in some of those put many more modern FPS to shame.

So yes, I do still enjoy FPS but that's because I limit the number I play every year. In fact that's true for every genre I enjoy. Too much of a good thing can dull the palette.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby 6gunn » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:07 am

My 12 to 15 year old laptops and PCs won't play anything too new (2007 and newer), so I stick with older games like The Operative: No One Lives Forever, Contract J.A.C.K., Half-Life, F.E.A.R., etc.
I just bought Half-Life 2 Episode Pack.
Part One plays OK, Part Two Hangs and Freezes.
Halo won't run either, nor will Hitman: Blood Money, or Mercenaries 2, or F.E.A.R. 2.
I gotta get a newer Dual Core PC before I die...... someday..... maybe.

6gunn 6

Custom Title: catwacker

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:20 am

^ Or buy a XB360 and play the console versions of most of those games on that.

Cheaper than a new CPU let alone a whole PC and older XB360 games can be bought used for very little money. The Orange Box is currently selling secondhand at £6/$9 on the UK high street and you could probably get it for much less at the usual places online.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Tingler42DD69 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:27 am

nornor1 wrote:I just like the campaigns, I never liked playing multiplayer online. only local multiplayer, or local/online co-op.

I'm with you on this one. I too, only like playing the single player missions/campaigns and i don't bother with multiplayer. The last multiplayer game I played was the original Half Life YEARS ago...for about a week and that was it. Though I DID have fun at the time, that was all I ever really needed of multiplayer. Maybe one day if I ever get a better computer and internet connection AND if I ever really feel well again. Chronic pain SUCKS!! :cry:

Tingler42DD69 4

Postby mercuryshadow09 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:46 am

I've been pretty addicted to the newest Doom, it's linear but the environments are really immersive. I can't stand online multiplayer and didn't enjoy Battlefront, but the solo campaign in Battlefront 2 is pretty solid, the flight missions are amazing and probably had the most fun dog fighting in an X-wing.

Genesis model 1
Genesis model 2 + 32X + Sega CD
PS1 with Stealth chip
PS2 Fat soft modded - network adapter and 80 gig HDD
PS3
PS4
OXbox X3 all soft modded
RGH'd Jasper 360 w/ Cool runner rev C
Dreamcast
Saturn model 2 w/ Universal V3
Wii with WODE Jukebox
GameCube Xenochipped
N64
mercuryshadow09 7

Custom Title: Human metronome

Postby Tingler42DD69 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:58 am

mercuryshadow09 wrote:I've been pretty addicted to the newest Doom, it's linear but the environments are really immersive. I can't stand online multiplayer and didn't enjoy Battlefront, but the solo campaign in Battlefront 2 is pretty solid, the flight missions are amazing and probably had the most fun dog fighting in an X-wing.

The original Battlefront 2 for the PC is one of my favorite FPS games. I agree with you that the flight missions are pretty cool. Landing, boarding and raiding the enemy's ship is pretty damn fun too...that is IF you don't get blown to pieces in flight there! Then you just start over and try again. It's definitely a whole lot of fun!! :D :D I also prefer single player only too.

Tingler42DD69 4

Postby SleepyFist » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:23 am

I play some every now and then, but rarely modern ones.
My favorites that I always go back to are Quake, Hexen II, and Tron 2.0

The only modern FPS I play, If you want to call them that, are Bethesda Never-Ending RPGS, specifically Skyrim and Fallout NV which I play off and on every couple months or so.

SleepyFist 4

Postby erik1977 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:40 am

I enjoyed a couple of the Far Cry, Crysis and Battlefield games. Call of Duty has become a pile of steaming shit.

Systems I currently own:

Spoiler:
Playstation (modchip)
Xbox 360 slim
PS3 slim

Gaming PCs:

Windows 7 64 bit desktop (Athlon II X2 250 3ghz, 2gb ram, Radeon x1650 512mb, 128gb SSD)
Windows XP 32 bit desktop (Athlon XP 2800+ 2.1ghz, Abit NF7-S, 2gb ram, Radeon X800GTO 256mb, 2x 500gb HDD)
Windows 98SE desktop (Slot 1 Pentium 3 550mhz, Asus P3B-F, 320mb ram, Geforce TI4200 128mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 12mb, 2x 40gb HDD)
Windows 95 desktop (Pentium 133mhz, Asus P/I-P55TP4XE, 40mb ram, Matrox Mystique 4mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 8mb, 10gb HDD)
DOS 6.22 laptop (486DX2 50mhz, 8mb ram, 350mb HDD)
erik1977 7

Postby DCDannyDoom23 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:44 am

On ps3 I still play Battlefield 4 & 3, Borderlands 2, and I gotta install updates for Destiny The Taken King. Reason why I got my ps3 in the 1st place was for EVE Dust 514. But I got into Skyrim too & my whole view on immersive games changed. Dust was immersive, fps, linear, hell theirs alot games like payday, bioshock, fallout, bulletstorm, & others that are way better than COD. War games just are the most advertised & marketed as far as FPS goes, but their is gems here & there.

Multiplayer communities are very hit n miss though. Its basically being on a party line phone number but with random people in a game & unless you get to know people or can actually play well & have fun together...I hate alot of people on fps games for many reasons...but you do get to talk to some cool people if you can find them.

'YOU COULD BE WATCHING FEMALE MUD WRESTLING OR PLAYING MORTAL KOMBAT WITH A FRIEND IN VIETNAM!!!' ' :lol:

Spoiler:
http://www.theisozone.com/user-uploads/DCDannyDoom23/ Image
PS3 - DannyDistorted26
:dc: Image BURNER Image :dc:
SUCCESSFUL Transactions with ...
VGA
ELEKTRODOG
MAJESTIC LIZARD
JBETT25
Darkweezil
Anthony817
Dashey10
Master13
jediknight52501
drumcast
ChunLiGloss
catch_2030
zombiegauze
torvik
nodots
Seear
TheOmikronNomadSoul
DCDannyDoom23 7

Custom Title: De Japon!

Postby dreamcast459 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:58 am

golden eye 007 for me still play it

sucessfull trade with ware-wolf my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/4599kane/videos
MMO's that i play star trek online and shot online

systems i own
dreamcast
saturn chip modded
N64
sega game gear
orig-xbox
xbox360
dreamcast459 13

Next

Return to General Gaming Chat