Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Parasite Eve Review

Discuss Your Favourite Games, Games You Are Currently Playing or Games You Never Want to Play Again!

Parasite Eve Review

Postby JD0200 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:51 am

A very good evening to everyone! I'd like to formally apologize for not reviewing this game sooner, but I took last weekend off to myself, but now I'm back! And tonight... I'm reviewing a gem for the PlayStation; Released in 1998, I'm reviewing... PARASITE EVE! So ready your guns and prepare to save New York!

The story is as follows: It's Christmas Eve 1997. You are Aya Brea, a rookie officer who's just joined the New York Police Department. You are on a blind date and are attending the Opera at Carnegie Hall. The opera begins normally, but all of a sudden, people around you start to spontaneously combust, or burst into flames without warning; Everyone is dead, except for you and an actress onstage. You go to confront her and find that she is not what she seems: She carries mitochondria known as... PARASITES. You must find the actress and put a stop to whatever she's planning. Good luck. You'll definitely need it.

Squaresoft: That's a recognizable company name, isn't it? You know them for one certain famous game series: Kingdom Hearts! But we're not here to talk about Kingdom Hearts; (Maybe next time? ;)) We're here to talk about Parasite Eve. It was released in 1998 in both Japan and the U.S, with a 6-month difference (In JP, it was released in March; In the US, released in September). The game isn't your traditional PS1 game; It was a Role-Playing Game! (I see those shocked looks :P) It was released a year after Final Fantasy VII, so you can say that Parasite Eve took ideas from it. The gameplay works in a hybrid of a turn-based system and a dodging system; The dodging system works like this: To gain attack points during the battle, you must dodge the enemy's attacks or the Attack Point bar goes back down. I personally think that this is a unique idea to an RPG game! I did forget to mention one thing: When the attack bar is all the way up, you can also use any consumable items you've found or you can use your powers, which I'll explain in a moment.

A unique feature of Parasite Eve is the ability to use powers given to Aya unwillingly; It is called "Parasite Energy". The way to use Parasite Energy is the same way to attack; Build up Attack Points, and then use it through the menu; Aya can use the Parasite Energy for defense, attacks, or assistance. Aya can also "tune-up" her weapons to have them do more damage, which you'll need later in the game.

So, rounding out the review, Parasite Eve is a unique game experience with varied gameplay, good graphics for it's time, and great sound quality; Very varied! I give this game a 9.1/10! If you want a varied game and are tired of the same PS1 games, give this a go! I'll leave a download link for the game down below!

So, this ends yet another review! Some of you may think it gets old, but it doesn't! As long as I get requests, I still have a heartbeat here! Anyways, I'll be running a poll with last week's losers from the poll and a new game from my own collection! So, watch for that! Also, would anyone be interested in a Q & A? Sound off down below! Until next weekend everyone, enjoy yourselves! :D

DOWNLOAD LINK

PS1 (2CD): http://theisozone.com/downloads/playsta ... ---redump/

BONUS STRATEGY GUIDE: http://theisozone.com/downloads/playsta ... guide-ps1/

JD0200 3

Custom Title: No Chance In Hell

Re: Parasite Eve Review

Postby FlarePhoenix » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:57 am

You forgot the story is based on the novel "parasite Eve", but pretty much good. Would recommend screenshots and avoid using more newer better game comparison. You want readers to play the game you're reviewing.

FlarePhoenix 9

Postby rawman024 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:22 am

I have Parasite Eve and have beaten it countless times it is a good go to game for me. I highly recommend it.

My systems
Spoiler:
PC: amd-fx 8370 with 2 rx-480 radeon graphics cards
orig xbox softmodded with 2 tb hdd replaced clock capacitor with battery (built several for family members)
ps2 slim
2x ps2 phat with free hdboot 1 sata 1 pata (built several for family members)
ps1
ps1 hardmodded
original nes
rawman024 3

Postby MaxRD » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:35 am

You have inspired me to play this one AGAIN! Downloaded the full ePSXe package as well. I DO have modded PS1 / PS2 but having just recently gotten a new desktop rig I want to check out some good old PSX titles with higher resolutions.

My Collection
Spoiler:
NDS-Gameboy AdvanceSP-2 Xbox-2TG16-JVC X'Exe-Nintendo Wii-GP2X WIZ-GP2X Caanoo-Dingoo A320-PS2 (Phat & SLIM)-2 Gamecube-3 Dreamcast-Sega Saturn-Sega CDX-CDi-3DO-Genesis model 1-Sega Master System-FC Mobile-PS1 (Original and SLIM)-2 Colecovisions-Intellivision II-Ti99a-Atari 5200 /7800/2600/Jr./1040ste-1040stf-Commodore 64c & c64-SNES-NEO GEO CD-N64-NES-Retron3-JXD s601-s7800b-Atari 5200 VCS Adapter MODDED for Stand alone operation
MaximumRD's Hub of AWESOME !
Follow me on Twitter ! https://twitter.com/MaximumRD
MaxRD 4

Custom Title: Lover of Retro Games!

Postby varettaja » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:42 am

I like Parasite Eve, highly recommended.

My uploads. . Do now sent me a PM to help to get those working, use the forum.
varettaja 9

Custom Title: God only knows

Postby Zerohour2k12 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:07 am

Nice Review! I have it too but still haven't played it yet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Uploads
Now Playing
Bully Scholarship Edition
Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
Berserk - The Millennium Falcon
Fatal Frame III The Tormented
No One Lives Forever GOTY
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Parasite Eve 2
Zerohour2k12 8

Custom Title: LeftyGuyGamerDude :)

Postby kremiso » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:31 am

Amazing game
still prefer the first chapter to his sequel, that imo takes the Resident Evil way
for some mechanics
(RPG nut speech)

kremiso 7

Custom Title: Nostalgia Generator

Postby AlmaElma » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:18 pm

I love the first one but the second one was just really bad for me. I hate how they changed it to a Resident Evil style game but still tried to keep the action the first one had. RE controls and action do NOT work since RE is a survival game and not a game where every fight is mandatory. (And I say every fight in PE is mandatory cus without fighting you can't get the BP and EXP you need for later boss fights that are mandatory)

The second game has a lot of content too and that double pisses me off because it's in this game with this horrid combat system that just kills a lot of it for me IMO. I still beat it but it was a pain.

AlmaElma 2

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:50 pm

I've never had any problem with PE2. It is a decent game of its type and the combat works as well as any in the genre. That doesn't mean it is good, I've never liked the shooting in any RE game particularly either.

Thinking about it Dino Crisis 2 (which I enjoyed too) was much more shooty than the great, puzzle heavy original but that played fine and rarely gets it in the neck like PE2 does.

I think the problem is that in PE the combat system with its RPG overtones was so innovative being applied to a game of this sort and was integral to the gameplay. When they stripped that out of the sequel there were a lot of fans of the original who were, maybe rightly, very disappointed.

Perhaps I was just lucky being in the UK we never had PE released here. So I played PE2 first, enjoyed it and having read up about how good the original was imported it as I did not want to miss out. Played it and really enjoyed it at the time but it didn't make me want to slam PE2.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Radimore » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:15 am

Great review JD, I remember this game back in 2004, until I started playing it in 2014 after playing the third game on PSP (The 3rd Birthday). Also in 2004, when I used to live in my family's old household, a friend of mine played the first minutes of it.
Never played the second game but I'll try to play it once I finish the first one.

WE ARE RADIANT AND HEROIC
Radimore 2

Custom Title: Seiza Change!! Say the Change!!

Return to General Gaming Chat