Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

FINALLY the proud owner of a NeoGeo

Discuss Your Favourite Games, Games You Are Currently Playing or Games You Never Want to Play Again!

FINALLY the proud owner of a NeoGeo

Postby ClassicGamer90 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:32 am

For a few years its been sort of a dream of mine to own an actual piece of NeoGeo hardware, but the AES and its games can get stupidly expensive, CD has load times / prone to failure / costs more than I'd like to pay, and a consolized MVS can go for hundreds. Tried emulation from the Xbox (works great actually), PC and the Raspberry Pi but it just wasn't scratching the itch, and the NeoGeo X is pretty much a mess (I still like it though).

Seen a video that was recently uploaded about consolized MVS's for under $200 from AliExpress (obviously they didn't say anything about shipping which is a bit pricey), checked it out a bit then decided to order one.

I got the cheapest one which is supposed to come with ports for Sega Saturn controllers as well according to the wording and reviews with pictures, while the more expensive ones you have to choose the version and the one with the same features I got costs way more or you can get the basic edition with just the regular controller ports, has component output as well as composite and S video. Ordered me a 161 in 1 MVS cartridge as well then have a NeoGeo CD controller on the way from Japan. So I guess I'm in for about $371 after shipping for everything, but the controller is pretty much free as my payment because I cleaned some junk out of some buildings today. So technically $311 total.

I gotta say I'm pretty damn excited :D

Systems I own:

Spoiler:
x2 NES
x2 SNES (Orig. & mini)
x1 Super Famicom
x2 Sega Genesis
x2 Nintendo 64
x3 PlayStation (Slim, orig., & orig. w/chip & clear blue shell)
x1 Sega Saturn
x4 Sega Dreamcast (1 w/ clear blue shell)
x2 GameCube (Xeno chip)
x1 GB
x1 GB Pocket
x2 GBC
x2 GBA
x1 GBA SP
x4 PlayStation 2 (2 orig. & 2 slim)
x1 Original Xbox (250GB HDD & UnleashX)
x1 Xbox 360 (Star Wars 320GB)
x1 PlayStation 3 (1TB)
x1 Wii (soft modded, 1TB HDD)
x1 Wii U
x1 DS Lite
x1 DSi XL
x1 3DS XL
X1 PS Vita
x2 PSP (1000, 3000 w/CFW)
x1 Neo Geo X
x1 Retro Freak
ClassicGamer90 5

Re: FINALLY the proud owner of a NeoGeo

Postby ExplosiveDiahorrea » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:45 am

Fantastic, that sounds great. I might have to add one of those to my console wishlist as well. I love some classic NeoGeo gaming!

ExplosiveDiahorrea 2

Postby Biggsy666 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:11 am

Congrats on the new member of the family. :lol:

My Systems
Spoiler:
Acorn Electron
CPC464
C64
ZX Spectrum +2
Atari 2600
NES & Famicom w/ FDS
SNES & Super Famicom
N64 1 x PAL, 1 x NTSC-J
Gamecube x2 Xeno
Wii x2 softmod
Master System
Mega Drive MKI RGB w/switches & MKII
Saturn
Dreamcast
PS1 Audiophile, 3 chipped & 1 slim w/screen
PS2 1 fat silver with FMCB/120gb HDD & 1 slim w/screen
PS3 1 fat, 1 slim
Xbox (soft mod 200gb & 1 Crystal hard mod 120gb)
Xbox 360
PSP x2 CFW
GameGear
Wonderswan
N-Gage & N-Gage QD
Gameboy, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, 2x GB Macro
Nintendo DS, DSL, DSi & 3DS

My Custom Projects Click Here
Biggsy666 13

Custom Title: The Reverend

Postby damotheking » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:50 am

awesome pickup

Spoiler:

damotheking 8

Postby FreePlayFlorida » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:53 am

yeah seen those, some reports saying using the MVS1 boards etc, Ive got the tiny JAMMA pcb and a 161 cart, play it on supergun, so many good games on there, would love the SD Cart, but way to pricey compared to clones at mo, maybe one day :D have fun

Spoiler:
Current Collection : Nintendo - NES Classic, SNES Classic, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch Sega - Saturn, Dreamcast, Sony - PS1, PS2 (Phat with HD & Slim), PS3, PS4, Xbox - (Mountain Dew edition/Crystal/Regular with Coinops), 360, 360 JTAG, Xbox One. Handhelds : GB, GBC, GBA, GBA Micro, GBA Slim, DS Phat, DS Slim, DS XL, 2DS, 3DS NXL, PSP, PS Vita OLED, PS Vita Slim, PSTV, Sega Game Gear, Dingoo & Sega Universal Arcade Cab, L&B Arcade Cab, Cashino Video Slot, VertPie Arcade, Pi3 Setup with 50" Plasma.
FreePlayFlorida 3

Postby duwen » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:56 am

I think I saw the same video about consolized MVS's on youtube (the one where it blew out the guys OSC).
I must admit, it is a tempting prospect... but I'll stick with my NeoGeoCD for now (...and my Pandoras Box for the titles that weren't released on the NGCD).
Let us know how you like it when you get it.

My...
Spoiler:
Handhelds:
Sega Game Gear, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, GBA SP, NDS,
3DS & N3DS XL, PS Vita

Consoles:
Master System, Mega Drive, Mega CD, SNES, SNES Mini/Jr, Neo-Geo CD, Playstation,
Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Gamecube (w/ Gameboy Player), Wii, Playstation 3,
Xbox 360, Wii U, Playstation 4 Pro

Computers:
48k Sinclair ZX Spectrum, Commodore Amiga A1200, Win PC

Other:
Pandoras Box 4S+, Android devices
duwen 4

Custom Title: 絶対領域

Postby Thelonewolf » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:13 am

Personally, i'd send back the 161- 1 MVS cart. They're are poorly hacked roms, bad QA manufacturing (sound issues, random crashes, errors and incorrect voltages on the PCB)

Save your money and buy a proper MVS multi cart from Darksoft or wait for the NeoSD pro cart.

Thelonewolf 4

Postby FreePlayFlorida » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:19 am

Thelonewolf wrote:Personally, i'd send back the 161- 1 MVS cart. They're are poorly hacked roms, bad QA manufacturing (sound issues, random crashes, errors and incorrect voltages on the PCB)

Save your money and buy a proper MVS multi cart from Darksoft or wait for the NeoSD pro cart.

I think for the money, I paid 55 for mine, yes isnt perfect, but its a good interim fix, I have the Darksoft CPS2 kit and its amazing, just cant bring myself to paying similar for NG at this time

Spoiler:
Current Collection : Nintendo - NES Classic, SNES Classic, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch Sega - Saturn, Dreamcast, Sony - PS1, PS2 (Phat with HD & Slim), PS3, PS4, Xbox - (Mountain Dew edition/Crystal/Regular with Coinops), 360, 360 JTAG, Xbox One. Handhelds : GB, GBC, GBA, GBA Micro, GBA Slim, DS Phat, DS Slim, DS XL, 2DS, 3DS NXL, PSP, PS Vita OLED, PS Vita Slim, PSTV, Sega Game Gear, Dingoo & Sega Universal Arcade Cab, L&B Arcade Cab, Cashino Video Slot, VertPie Arcade, Pi3 Setup with 50" Plasma.
FreePlayFlorida 3

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:22 pm

you got er dun :D

Dildo_Schwaggins 5

Postby cat » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:27 pm

Welcome to the club, i got all 3 neo systems and can vouch for how much that itch needs scratching.

Consoles I Own

Spoiler:
My systems....

snes x 2 and 16 mb wildcard
N64
Gamecube
Wii
Master system
Megadrive x 4
Mega CD
32X
Saturn x 3
Dreamcast
Neo AES
NGCD
Neo CMVS
3DO x 2 FZ-1 and FZ-10
PS1
PS2
PS3
XBOX x3
XBOX 360
Sega nomad
Game gear
PSP x 4
GBA
DS x 2
Cocktail cab with mame
cat 8

Custom Title: shmup fan wanna try to beat me hahaha, good luck..

Postby Domspun » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:31 pm

SO jealous! I want to be part of that club! :P One day it will be my turn.

Domspun 5

Postby FFTHEWINNER » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:07 am

Congrats! that is awesome! hopefully i will get one some day too. i already have a game for it after all (Samurai Showdown 2 :)

FFTHEWINNER 9

Postby F_Johnson » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:39 am

Those Chinese consolized systems have issues, as do the multicarts with games crashing/glitching. There are lengthy threads about both the system and multicart issues on neo hyphen geo dot com.

F_Johnson Newbie

Postby ClassicGamer90 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:47 pm

F_Johnson wrote:Those Chinese consolized systems have issues, as do the multicarts with games crashing/glitching. There are lengthy threads about both the system and multicart issues on neo hyphen geo dot com.

I saw, the 161 in 1 carts can mostly be fixed by regulating the voltage to fix the glitches and filing down the sides of the PCB so it doesn't flex. The YouTuber that said it may have fried his OSSC via scart isn't entirely sure if it was the Neo Geo itself or something else, I'll be using component myself. There is also a voltage mod that can be done to correct it if there are issues, either way I don't expect perfection without some modification, and the 161 in 1 is still a hell of a deal if you just want to play the games. I just can't justify spending $600 for a consolized Neo Geo

Systems I own:

Spoiler:
x2 NES
x2 SNES (Orig. & mini)
x1 Super Famicom
x2 Sega Genesis
x2 Nintendo 64
x1 Sega Saturn
x2 GameCube (Xeno chip)
x1 GB
x1 GB Pocket
x2 GBC
x2 GBA
x1 GBA SP
x1 PlayStation 3 (1TB)
x1 Wii U
x1 DS Lite
x1 DSi XL
x1 3DS XL
X1 PS Vita
x1 Neo Geo X
x1 Retro Freak
ClassicGamer90 5

Postby ClassicGamer90 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:54 pm

Thelonewolf wrote:Personally, i'd send back the 161- 1 MVS cart. They're are poorly hacked roms, bad QA manufacturing (sound issues, random crashes, errors and incorrect voltages on the PCB)

I looked into that, apparently most of the issues can be fixed by regulating the voltage properly. I looked at those but they're too expensive, the reason they're marked up so high is because anyone willing to spend $500 on a real cartridge won't mind spending it on a flash cart and its a small market, they're only worth $250 to $300 at the most. Do you have any other options you'd recommend?

Systems I own:

Spoiler:
x2 NES
x2 SNES (Orig. & mini)
x1 Super Famicom
x2 Sega Genesis
x2 Nintendo 64
x1 Sega Saturn
x2 GameCube (Xeno chip)
x1 GB
x1 GB Pocket
x2 GBC
x2 GBA
x1 GBA SP
x1 PlayStation 3 (1TB)
x1 Wii U
x1 DS Lite
x1 DSi XL
x1 3DS XL
X1 PS Vita
x1 Neo Geo X
x1 Retro Freak
ClassicGamer90 5

Postby cat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:21 pm

Get a neosd, don't bother with the multi carts they have known problems running certain games, off the top my head aero fighters 3 is one that i remember.
You may as well play the roms on a decent emulator, before you use a cheap arse chinese multi cart, you ain't getting the REAL HOT DOG lol.
Rom hacks. glitchs, missing animation frames, lock ups, sound issues, thelonewolf speaks the truth, you're wasting your money.

Consoles I Own

Spoiler:
My systems....

N64
Gamecube
Wii
Master system
Megadrive x 4
Mega CD
32X
Saturn x 3
Dreamcast
Neo AES
NGCD
Neo CMVS
3DO x 2 FZ-1 and FZ-10
PS1
PS2
PS3
XBOX x3
XBOX 360
Sega nomad
Game gear
PSP x 4
GBA
DS x 2
Cocktail cab with mame
cat 8

Postby F_Johnson » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:17 pm

ClassicGamer90 wrote:I looked at those but they're too expensive, the reason they're marked up so high is because anyone willing to spend $500 on a real cartridge won't mind spending it on a flash cart and its a small market, they're only worth $250 to $300 at the most. Do you have any other options you'd recommend?

Not true, they cost that much because they play the original ROM files 100% exactly as they should without any hacks or glitches because the hardware was designed properly. If you want glitchy games that crash, you'll be happy with your Chinese multicart. If you want the real experience, get a neosd cart. Going cheap isn't the way to go.

F_Johnson Newbie

Postby cat » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:55 pm

F_Johnson wrote:Not true, they cost that much because they play the original ROM files 100% exactly as they should without any hacks or glitches because the hardware was designed properly. If you want glitchy games that crash, you'll be happy with your Chinese multicart. If you want the real experience, get a neosd cart. Going cheap isn't the way to go.

Yep all too true, nothing is fair or cheap when it comes to the neo geo.
Save up the pennies and get a neosd, the games will be perfect and play just like the original carts, in the long run you'll be way, way happier.

Consoles I Own

Spoiler:
My systems....

N64
Gamecube
Wii
Master system
Megadrive x 4
Mega CD
32X
Saturn x 3
Dreamcast
Neo AES
NGCD
Neo CMVS
3DO x 2 FZ-1 and FZ-10
PS1
PS2
PS3
XBOX x3
XBOX 360
Sega nomad
Game gear
PSP x 4
GBA
DS x 2
Cocktail cab with mame
cat 8

Postby ClassicGamer90 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:59 pm

Yep all too true, nothing is fair or cheap when it comes to the neo geo.
Save up the pennies and get a neosd, the games will be perfect and play just like the original carts, in the long run you'll be way, way happier.

I get what you guys are saying but if I held off on buying a Neo Geo up until now because of how expensive it is how am I going to justify dropping $500 on a flash cart?, especially when the system was less than $300.

Look at the EverDrive line of carts which play games flawlessly with the exception of say the SFX chip, then look at the NeoSD. The NeoSD uses two large PCB's so it really should cost no more than $300, it's priced based on other factors for example I think its the first flash cart for the Neo Geo AES/MVS (no current competition other than Darksoft), most games can go for insanely high prices and this can play them all.

I agree it would be the better option no doubt, but a $40 Chinese multi-cart + a $3 voltage mod to fix 90% of the issues VS the $500 NeoSD?. While you don't get every game with the multi-cart you do get most of the popular ones excluding the hacked roms.

And on top of that Neo Geo hardware is 20+ years old, components on the board will fail soon and need to be replaced. While I can solder, these are all factors I think about before buying a system and dropping big money on say a flash cart :|

What good is a flash cart if you don't have any hardware left to play it on? :lol:

Systems I own:

Spoiler:
x2 NES
x2 SNES (Orig. & mini)
x1 Super Famicom
x2 Sega Genesis
x2 Nintendo 64
x1 Sega Saturn
x2 GameCube (Xeno chip)
x1 GB
x1 GB Pocket
x2 GBC
x2 GBA
x1 GBA SP
x1 PlayStation 3 (1TB)
x1 Wii U
x1 DS Lite
x1 DSi XL
x1 3DS XL
X1 PS Vita
x1 Neo Geo X
x1 Retro Freak
ClassicGamer90 5

Postby F_Johnson » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:42 pm

If you are comparing the NeoSD to an Everdrive it proves how completely clueless you are. Where are you getting this it shouldn't cost more than $300 figure? Do you know what R&D went into the product? Do you realize how Neo Geo carts are vastly different than other systems? Do you realize there is an exponentially smaller market for the NeoSD vs a SNES or Genesis Everdrive? And what that means in terms of turning a profit? No, you don't.

But hey, enjoy your broken flash cart that uses recycled chips.

F_Johnson Newbie

Next

Return to General Gaming Chat