Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Sony deserved more criticism over the Vita

Discuss Your Favourite Games, Games You Are Currently Playing or Games You Never Want to Play Again!

Sony deserved more criticism over the Vita

Postby VoodooVincent » Mon May 21, 2018 3:37 am

I always found it interesting how little of a backlash there was over Sony completely abandoning first-party support for the Vita within a few years of its release. It was still on store shelves, it had a pretty decent following even though it wasn't a massive mainstream success, but they just gave up entirely. They didn't try to fix the situation by making games that people wanted, they just threw up their hands & walked away.

I think they got away with it because Japanese developers, Limited Run Games, etc., gave the system a lot of third-party support, but the games were mostly pretty forgettable. I couldn't keep up with the amount of hand-drawn looking dungeon crawlers that came out of Japan for the Vita.

The last first-party game was Freedom Wars, I think. That means that Sony dropped support within a mere 2 years. Sony just gave up. Imagine if they had done that with the PS3? People were saying that Sony was doomed for the first couple years of the PS3. I remember listening to the 1UP Yours podcast as a teen & they were writing Sony's obituary when it came to the console business. The PS3 was in bad shape, but they were able to eventually rebound. They didn't even bother to fix Vita's situation. And because of that, they should've gotten ripped over it, but the criticism was pretty mild.

VoodooVincent 7

Re: Sony deserved more criticism over the Vita

Postby darkricky » Mon May 21, 2018 3:52 am

The problem with it has lots of loli games.

Game consoles I owned
1)PS2 Slim
2)Dreamcast
3)Xbox Original
4)PS3 Slim 320GB
5)Wii 1st Model
6)PSP-3004
7)PS Vita Phat
8)DS Lite
9)Xbox 360 S 250GB
10)3DS 1st Model
darkricky 4

Custom Title: Wanderer

Postby ZX81v2 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:02 am

$ony is in Atari's ballpark.... Still not as bad as Apple

PS2 (Phat) + Network Adapter + SATA Bridge + 2TB HDD = Insanity+1 !
Wanna Know More > theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=49420&hilit=+sata

FreeMCBoot Installer - OPL 0.8/9 + HDL0.8c
Game Compatibility Checker. WinHIIP User
ZX81v2's MAME/ARCADE Thread Here
FreeMCBoot Install Service "UK" Thread HERE
MY PS2 OPL 0.8 HDD Game Compatibility List Click Here 100% Safe

Latest MESS/MAME Roms : Retroroms.info < NEW SITE !

ImageImageImageImage

If you are/WERE a PS2 Developer please check PS2Home out !
Designed & (C)2013-2017 by ZX81v2
ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby FFTHEWINNER » Mon May 21, 2018 10:02 am

i agree. it was an incredible system and sony pretty much murdered it. they acted like they were a 3rd party developer for it instead of a 1st party.

FFTHEWINNER 9

Postby Sabkahn » Mon May 21, 2018 10:16 am

Soooo....Sony is now the bad guy because they abandoned a commercial flop after ~2 years after the US Launch? Doesn´t that remind of the Dreamcast somehow? Now go and hate Sega just as much.

Sabkahn 5

Postby FFTHEWINNER » Mon May 21, 2018 10:19 am

Sabkahn wrote:Soooo....Sony is now the bad guy because they abandoned a commercial flop after ~2 years after the US Launch? Doesn´t that remind of the Dreamcast somehow? Now go and hate Sega just as much.

sega was hemorrhaging money hand over fist and were within centimeters of bankruptcy. sony wasnt in that position to that degree or even close. the correct comparison is Nintendo with the Wiiu,and look at how many major titles nintendo produced for that.

FFTHEWINNER 9

Postby Sabkahn » Mon May 21, 2018 10:32 am

FFTHEWINNER wrote:
Sabkahn wrote:Soooo....Sony is now the bad guy because they abandoned a commercial flop after ~2 years after the US Launch? Doesn´t that remind of the Dreamcast somehow? Now go and hate Sega just as much.

sega was hemorrhaging money hand over fist and were within centimeters of bankruptcy. sony wasnt in that position to that degree or even close. the correct comparison is Nintendo with the Wiiu,and look at how many major titles nintendo produced for that.

Because of the 3DS Nintendo was never anywhere near the slighest risk of Bankrupcy.
And AFAIK Sony as a whole isn´t doing nearly as great as the Playstation / Computer Entertainment part of it, so it would make a whole lot of sense to cut their losses with such a major flop.

Sabkahn 5

Postby FFTHEWINNER » Mon May 21, 2018 10:36 am

Sabkahn wrote:
FFTHEWINNER wrote:

Because of the 3DS Nintendo was never anywhere near the slighest risk of Bankrupcy.
And AFAIK Sony as a whole isn´t doing nearly as great as the Playstation / Computer Entertainment part of it, so it would make a whole lot of sense to cut their losses with such a major flop.

who said that nintendo was in risk of bankruptcy?they werent,which is why they are the ones comparable to sony in that situation not sega who were forced under gun point to abandon the dreamcast pretty much.

and yeah,sony wasnt doing incredible,but it was doing well enough to be able to sustain the vita without any major issue to them(especially after the PS4 launched),just like Nintendo with the Wiiu. the difference is that nintendo fully supported the wiiu even when it became clear that it wont sell well and sony did pretty much nothing to support or turn around the vita.

FFTHEWINNER 9

Postby duwen » Mon May 21, 2018 11:18 am

Honestly, the Vita's first couple of years parallel those of Nintendos 3DS - in so much as it wasn't an outright success and initially had flagging sales... the difference between the two systems success comes down to Nintendo sticking with the 3DS and continuing to actively support it with first party content.
I love both systems (fairly new to the Vita but I had a 3DS at launch), and I completely agree that part of the Vita's perceived failure was Sony bailing on it so early.

As far as the Wii U argument... Nintendo were kind of forced to have to support it (although, nowhere near the support they gave the 3DS) as third party support vanished so quickly. Had they not it would've been a bigger flop than the Virtual Boy.

My...
Spoiler:
Handhelds:
Sega Game Gear, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, GBA SP Silver Original, GBA SP JPN Famicom Edition, NDS (2xPhat, 1xLite), O3DS Arctic White, N3DS XL Metallic Blue, PS Vita

Consoles:
Master System (Mk I), Mega Drive (2xPAL, Mk I), Mega Drive (PAL Mk II), Mega CD (Mk I), SNES (2xPAL), SNES Mini/Jr (NTSC), Neo-Geo CD, Playstation, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast (1xPAL, 2xNTSC-J), Playstation 2, Gamecube (with Gameboy Player), Wii (1xWhite PAL, 1xBlack PAL), Playstation 3, Xbox 360 320Gb Slim Gears of War 3 LE, Wii U 32Gb premium, Playstation 4 Pro Star Wars LE
duwen 4

Custom Title: 絶対領域

Postby slimjohn » Mon May 21, 2018 11:37 am

I rather the psp over the vita in my opinion, i had a vita & sold it cause for the same reason... no good games to play, there are just a few good games though

slimjohn 5

Custom Title: Shelly Belly..

Postby Moandain » Mon May 21, 2018 11:53 am

First I must say that's I love my vita and I play it more than my 3ds. I believe that the reason Sony did not such a bad backlash is because the handheld market is seen as desperate from the home console market. Also, the Vita was pretty much rejected by a majority of the handheld market right out of the gate. So, with such a small audience supporting the Vita there were not a lot of people heavily invested in the system, and that means less backlash.

Personally I don't think Sony will ever come back to the handheld market. They tried to compete against the handheld giant Nintendo and got beat. Personally I do not blame them for giving up on the system so early. I believe that it was a better move then lying to their customers And trying to milk a system they did not believe in for more money. While I love the Vita, I am happy that Sony did not take advantage of its customers.

I also think that Sony will only see a backlash if they ever try to release another handheld system.

@signaure = <Insert_Smart_and_wise_comment>

Consoles I own
Spoiler:
NES FRONT LOADER
SNES
SNES jr
N64
Gamecube
Wii x2
Wiiu
GBA
GBA SP
3DS XL
ATARI 2600 JR
ATARI 5200
ATARI 7800
ATARI JAGUAR
ATARI LYNX
3DO
CD-I
INTELLIVISION
COMMODORE 64
RADIOSHACK TRS80 COLOR
TG-16
PC-FX
MASTER SYSTEM
GENESIS/32X/CD MODEL 2
GENESIS MODEL 2
SATURN X2
DREAMCAST
GAMEGEAR
NOMAD
NEO GEO AES
NEO GEO POCKET COLOR
XBOX X2
XBOX 360 X2
XBOX ONE
PS1 X2
psone w/ screen
PS2 FAT X2
PS3 SLIM X2
PSP 3000
VITA 1001
PSTV
RETROPIE

My YouTube
Moandain 4

Postby UnholyArceus » Mon May 21, 2018 1:08 pm

well i hope the vita will get fully hacked then...

i got rage in Real Life!!
UnholyArceus 13

Postby duwen » Mon May 21, 2018 1:20 pm

UnholyArceus wrote:well i hope the vita will get fully hacked then...

It's out there - the hacker responsible is waiting for the Vita's "end of life" to release the exploit - it could be released now, but the reasoning is that Sony would just patch it out in a firmware update which wouldn't be ideal as there are a number of releases due this year that could potentially get locked out of current firmwares. It should be out within 12 months.

My...
Spoiler:
Handhelds:
Sega Game Gear, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, GBA SP Silver Original, GBA SP JPN Famicom Edition, NDS (2xPhat, 1xLite), O3DS Arctic White, N3DS XL Metallic Blue, PS Vita

Consoles:
Master System (Mk I), Mega Drive (2xPAL, Mk I), Mega Drive (PAL Mk II), Mega CD (Mk I), SNES (2xPAL), SNES Mini/Jr (NTSC), Neo-Geo CD, Playstation, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast (1xPAL, 2xNTSC-J), Playstation 2, Gamecube (with Gameboy Player), Wii (1xWhite PAL, 1xBlack PAL), Playstation 3, Xbox 360 320Gb Slim Gears of War 3 LE, Wii U 32Gb premium, Playstation 4 Pro Star Wars LE
duwen 4

Custom Title: 絶対領域

Postby GalanDun » Mon May 21, 2018 5:17 pm

darkricky wrote:The problem with it has lots of loli games.

How is that a problem?

Hey! I review games, movies, and books over on my website! Please check it out!
https://blogdudesvariousreviews.blogspot.com
GalanDun 8

Custom Title: White Knight of The Internet

Postby Moandain » Mon May 21, 2018 6:49 pm

duwen wrote:
UnholyArceus wrote:well i hope the vita will get fully hacked then...

It's out there - the hacker responsible is waiting for the Vita's "end of life" to release the exploit - it could be released now, but the reasoning is that Sony would just patch it out in a firmware update which wouldn't be ideal as there are a number of releases due this year that could potentially get locked out of current firmwares. It should be out within 12 months.

Honestly I think Sony is is petty enough to keep a patch held back and wait till the hack drops to insta kill the hack.

So it may be Hack 2.1 before Sony lets it go.

@signaure = <Insert_Smart_and_wise_comment>

Consoles I own
Spoiler:
NES FRONT LOADER
SNES
SNES jr
N64
Gamecube
Wii x2
Wiiu
GBA
GBA SP
3DS XL
ATARI 2600 JR
ATARI 5200
ATARI 7800
ATARI JAGUAR
ATARI LYNX
3DO
CD-I
INTELLIVISION
COMMODORE 64
RADIOSHACK TRS80 COLOR
TG-16
PC-FX
MASTER SYSTEM
GENESIS/32X/CD MODEL 2
GENESIS MODEL 2
SATURN X2
DREAMCAST
GAMEGEAR
NOMAD
NEO GEO AES
NEO GEO POCKET COLOR
XBOX X2
XBOX 360 X2
XBOX ONE
PS1 X2
psone w/ screen
PS2 FAT X2
PS3 SLIM X2
PSP 3000
VITA 1001
PSTV
RETROPIE

My YouTube
Moandain 4

Postby VoodooVincent » Mon May 21, 2018 7:59 pm

Yep. I like Japanese games, but a lot of the Japanese games on the Vita were loli dungeon crawlers & visual novels that all looked identical. While I wanted to collect more Vita games at some point, they never got cheap enough to consider buying games that I'd never play.

Defensive much? Pretty different situation there, bud.

VoodooVincent 7

Postby Hayabusa » Mon May 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Also the moneygrabbing memorycard system Sony introduced with the Vita made this system die out a lot faster...

Hayabusa 5

Postby darkricky » Tue May 22, 2018 4:27 am

GalanDun wrote:

How is that a problem?

Gee, sorry if I offended you :lol:

Game consoles I owned
1)PS2 Slim
2)Dreamcast
3)Xbox Original
4)PS3 Slim 320GB
5)Wii 1st Model
6)PSP-3004
7)PS Vita Phat
8)DS Lite
9)Xbox 360 S 250GB