Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Games too frustrating to finish?

Discuss Your Favourite Games, Games You Are Currently Playing or Games You Never Want to Play Again!

Games too frustrating to finish?

Postby VoodooVincent » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:49 pm

Have you played any games, some that may have had some interesting ideas that you wanted to experience, but the games themselves were just too poorly designed with frustrating mechanics that made them a chore to play?

For me, two instantly come to mind:

Alone In the Dark (360. PS3) - This game tried to do a lot of interesting things, but it was a nuisance to play due to the terrible controls, having to burn every enemy or they wouldn't die, the driving sequences that were glitchy, the inventory system, etc.

Far Cry 2 - Again, much like Alone In the Dark, this game was trying to do interesting things, but the Malaria mechanic, weapons degrading & jamming, vehicles breaking down, an open world that is a pain in the ass to navigate around, etc., made it impossible to enjoy.

Democrats are domestic terrorists.
VoodooVincent 7

Re: Games too frustrating to finish?

Postby TheOmikronNomadSoul » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:02 pm

The zombie hunter games :lol: They seem interesting at first but man is it slow for a hack n slash and has pretty bad level design.

TheOmikronNomadSoul 7

Custom Title: I'm Just trying to "Lion" The Mood

Postby Bartman72 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Headhunter Redemption. The aiming mechanics were good in a unique way. The game gives off a vibe of Metal Gear Solid & Blade Runner combined with a good variety of weapons. The problem was either due to my lack of skill, or the game being difficult, but I could never figure out what to do next. This game leaves you wanting a strategy guide, but there wasn't one. Watching youtube walkthroughs for each level and then playing it is a time killer and gets old eventually.

Bartman72 2

Postby ZX81v2 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:08 pm

LOL I got games too frustrating to start, let alone finish !!

ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby Biggsy666 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:15 pm

VoodooVincent wrote:Far Cry 2 - Again, much like Alone In the Dark, this game was trying to do interesting things, but the Malaria mechanic, weapons degrading & jamming, vehicles breaking down, an open world that is a pain in the ass to navigate around, etc., made it impossible to enjoy.

Surprised by that one, i enjoyed that game.

My Systems
Spoiler:
Acorn Electron
CPC464
C64
ZX Spectrum +2
Atari 2600
NES & Famicom w/ FDS
SNES & Super Famicom
N64 1 x PAL, 1 x NTSC-J
Gamecube x2 Xeno
Wii x2 softmod
Master System
Mega Drive MKI RGB w/switches & MKII
Saturn
Dreamcast
PS1 Audiophile, 3 chipped & 1 slim w/screen
PS2 1 fat silver with FMCB/120gb HDD & 1 slim w/screen
PS3 1 fat, 1 slim
Xbox (soft mod 200gb & 1 Crystal hard mod 120gb)
Xbox 360
PSP x2 CFW
GameGear
Wonderswan
N-Gage & N-Gage QD
Gameboy, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, 2x GB Macro
Nintendo DS, DSL, DSi & 3DS

My Custom Projects Click Here
Biggsy666 13

Custom Title: The Reverend

Postby sasapinjic » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Suikoden Tactics(PS2) - love Suikoden games , love JRPG strategy games , but this one was just to anoying to play . I did finish her , but not 100% , haven't have patience to do side-quests and optional dungeons .

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Havent finish either of them , barely start them .

Resident Evil 4(PS2) - Played until about half of game and then i stop playing it , and i have no ANY desire to finish her .

Tactics Ogre (SNES/PSX) - Fantastic game with great story and gameplay with only one flaw . As game goes on , Archer class become more and more overpowering , and near end of game no uint can survive hit by 2 arrows ( and they rearly ever miss ) no mater how tanky it is (and reviving is very stingy and K.O. uints are permanently dead), so i never finish HUGE optional dungeon .

Tomb Raider 3 (PSX) - Never find a way to pass mines thingy level in Artic looking stages .

EDIT :

Only reson i dint mention Suikoden 4 is because :
Although it is Game not worth name Suikoden and it is worst game in entire series , it is still decent made RPG with some good sides .

Last edited by sasapinjic on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(Penninless Scumbag)

Postby wakinafuf » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:03 pm

dark souls pc, fuck those clunky controls ! (the only thing that make this game hard, even with a godmode activated)
tomb raider 3 psx also last one i ever played, because fuck their leveldesign (why putting a switch in a small corner you can't even see that is located FAR in the level and then need to come back at the start to end it ?)
suikiden 4, dafuck is that way of walking ? also what the fuck are sea battle doin in the saga ? that ain't pirates of the caribean !! (cuntnami in all its splendor)
MMOs, fuck those sperg plebians

and i could go on and on

My actual BlackList : Electronic Arts, Activision, Ubisoft, Blizzard, Capcom,Konami, Square-Enix, Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple, Sony.

Systems i own : Atari 2600, Amstrad 464 (cassette)/6128, Sufami/Famicom, NES, Master System I/II, Genesis I/II, Amiga 500/1000, Gameboy, Sufami Turbo, SNES, Gameboy Color, Mega-CD, Panasonic 3DO, Philips CD-I, Atari Jaguar, Neo-Geo, Nec PC-Engine/TurboGraphX 16, Playstation/PS-One, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Wonderswan, PS2 fat'n slim.

systems newly aquired : Commodore SX 64
wakinafuf 5

Custom Title: scourge of the retards

Postby XamX » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:23 pm

I only had that with pre 16-Bit games (Atari 2600, C64, NES, MS, ..) were some of the games weren't designed good but just made in a couple of days or weeks to cash some quick money.

XamX 6

Postby Hayabusa » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:33 pm

Git gud you scrubs!

Spoiler:
(justkidding :lol: )

Hayabusa 5

Postby Zerohour2k12 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:52 pm

a certain game called Chaos Legion becomes tedious and a chore to beat towards the end..... I remember having finger cramps back then, good example of mindless button-mashing....

Difficulty-wise, I'd say Battletoads and Ninja Gaiden are tough! and the Hitman games kicked my ass too.... well maybe I just suck! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Uploads
Now Playing
Bully Scholarship Edition
Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
Fatal Frame III - The Tormented
Blood Will Tell
SSX Tricky
Star Wars - Republic Commando
No One Lives Forever GOTY
Soul Calibur - Broken Destiny
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Zwei - The Arges Adventure
Burnout Paradise - The Ultimate Box
Lord of Arcana
Darksiders - Wrath of War
Zerohour2k12 8

Custom Title: LeftyGuyGamerDude :)

Postby CBThatGuy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:48 pm

XamX wrote:I only had that with pre 16-Bit games (Atari 2600, C64, NES, MS, ..) were some of the games weren't designed good but just made in a couple of days or weeks to cash some quick money.

About half my Atari 2600 games are broken messes of games that I refuse to touch, and a handful of my NES games are just awful and the only reason I keep them is as a reminder of how terrible licenced games could be.

Atari 2600
NES, SNES (Everdrive), SupaBoy, Wii (softmod), WiiU
Sega Nomad, Genesis (Everdrive), Dreamcast
Playstation 1 (chipped), 2 (HDLoader), 3 & 4
Xbox (Xecuter 3), Xbox 360 (drive mod)
Game Boy Color, PSP (CFW), PSTV, & DS (Acekard2i), 3DS (modded)
Turbografx 16 (Everdrive)
CBThatGuy 5

Postby Zephyr113 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:40 pm

The Simpsons Hit & Run. Fun for the first few levels but after that it was a real chore and at the end it was just tedius and brutal to finish.

Zephyr113 Newbie

Postby HisDivineShadow » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:20 pm

Have to disagree about Tomb Raider 3 - a brilliant game but made stupidly hard on the PS by the limited save points. It is tough anyway and many levels are very complex, the backtracking is frustrating in specific cases and finding the secret areas can be maddeningly difficult because of their obscurity eg. diver room in Lud's Gate.

But persevere and it is a hugely satisfying game to complete and was way ahead of its time in level design and general ambition. The more recent games pale in comparison.

The game I'm playing now Xbox Brothers In Arms Earned In Blood a WW2 squad based tactical FPS shooter, is one I'd cite as getting to the point of frustration.

I've completed the main campaign missions and all skirmish maps but there is one thing left to do: the Tour Of Duty German Missions which is basically all the German skirmish map missions in one go without dying.

Everything annoying about the game is bought into sharp focus by that particular problem: not dying ie. the compromised gameplay design, the inadequate AI (enemies are psychic, allies are stupidly dumb and ineffective) and technical failings: worst slowdown I've ever come across in any original Xbox game.

I want to finish it because it is a real challenge but I'm at that point where I'm often feeling the desire to shoot my dim squad members as much as the enemy. Problem is you can't even do that. When it gets that frustrating it maybe time to put the game down.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby John_Paul » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:30 pm

I'm not sure if you mean this, but for me it would be Vagrant Story:
I know how to make combos, I learned all the skills of attack and defense. I have tried many weapons and equipment.
and I still can not cause decent damage to the bosses and they kill me in three or four blows. I even read a Gamefaqs guide, but I still could not beat this game. This is very frustrating for me.

''You have just been robbed by the Springfield Cat Burglar. ''[size=150]
John_Paul Newbie

Custom Title: The Cat Burglar

Postby ZX81v2 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:43 pm

Onimusha IV Dawn of Dreams.
To get 100% rating you need to complete the "100 levels of hell erm Genma" on ALL chars....
That's 800 levels in total....
I got to 97% then gave up..

Just to mention - 100 levels - 1 life - No continue

Bloody excellent game though

ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby HisDivineShadow » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:58 pm

^ Absolutely agree on both counts. The allied AI was one of the few games I've played where it actually felt like you were fighting alongside another player and not some hobbled, ineffective half-wit who gets in the way or gets themselves killed if you leave them alone too long.

Probably my favourite game of the series despite that damned annoying, weird 'comic' character who hangs from the ceiling. But even I balked at doing those 100 rounds for each character. I did one to 100 and a couple of others to 30 but I'd had more than enough by then.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby erik1977 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:36 pm

The Ninja Gaiden series on NES. Bloody hell those games were brutal. :evil:

Systems I currently own:

Spoiler:
Playstation (modchip)
Xbox 360 slim
PS3 slim

Gaming PCs:

Win7 x64 desktop (Athlon II X2 250 3ghz, 2gb ram, Radeon x1650 512mb)
WinXP desktop (Athlon XP 2800+ 2.1ghz, 2gb ram, Radeon X800GTO 256mb)
Win98SE desktop (Pentium 3 550mhz, 320mb ram, Geforce TI4200 128mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 12mb)
Win95 desktop (Pentium 133mhz, 40mb ram, Matrox Mystique 4mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 8mb)
Win95 laptop (Pentium 166MMX, 32mb ram)
DOS 6.22 laptop (486DX2 50mhz, 8mb ram)
erik1977 7

Postby Domspun » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:44 pm

Skyrim! :P Was super interesting at first, but then it got tedious and got kill in dumb ways and decided it wasn't worth it. Maybe one day I'll try again.

Domspun 5

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:44 am

Am playing Oblvion and the leveling system is tedious and frustrating, however I think the bigger problem is how huge the game is, and you can beat the main quest, however I'm not sure if that qualifies as finishing the game. But this time I plan to finish the main quest...

I have played this game A LOT and I am only on lv11, if you want to do a 5/5/5 level it can take forever if you are playing the game normally

Dildo_Schwaggins 5

Postby foo_jam2002 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:19 am

Rick Dangerous from the dos days comes to mind, it is nearly impossible to finish.

foo_jam2002 2

Next

Return to General Gaming Chat