Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Super Famicom Games And Magnetic Waves

Discuss Your Favourite Games, Games You Are Currently Playing or Games You Never Want to Play Again!

Super Famicom Games And Magnetic Waves

Postby EllipsesMadeFlesh » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:19 am

I'd been a fan of Nintendo's megamythic 16-bit console for more than a quarter of a century, but this is the first time I'd seen or been aware of this and I wasn't able to find anything about it on Google.

I got some Super Famicom games this week and tonight I had a chance to take them for a spin on an American SNES I have that had the tabs removed. I've had some Super Famicom games for a while and everything on them worked, but tonight I discovered several of the games I bought this week have a weird problem in the graphics - during most scenes of gameplay, it will produce huge, red, impossible to miss waves from about midway of the screen and down to the bottom. Those of us who remember the trouble we often had with reception on the old RF connectors will recognize this kind of graphic wave-thing, but I was using the A/V composite. This weird thing presented itself when I tried playing it on a small CRTV I have. I then took the system to my larger CRTV in the game room of the house and it still produced the same effect, except that this time it was a slightly redder screen in general and a thinner bar of green instead of a huge thick red wave. It was also considerably less obnoxious on the larger CRTV. I call it "magnetic" because the closest thing I can describe it looking like is kind of like putting a magnet close to the screen.

In addition, when doing something that causes the game to shift programs (like leaving a town to go to the overworld), it temporarily takes this magnetic wave out and restore it to normal for about half a second before coming back with the graphics come back in. That's what tells me it's related to the games and not any of the wires/connections. I tried switching it out for a different A/V composite cable and it gave me the same thing. I don't have a different Super Famicom/modded SNES to test it on.

The games that produced this odd effects are Super Mario RPG (J), Elnard (Japanese 7th Saga) and Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shougun Magginesu (not released in US).

Again, I couldn't find any info on this via Googling, so my next best inquiry was to ask here. Know anything on it?

With the years as my axe, I present the field my philosophy:
Let he who is without shin cast the first bone!

EllipsesMadeFlesh 2

Re: Super Famicom Games And Magnetic Waves

Postby raika » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:54 am

Yeah, this must come from the pcb's of the games, they might bhave come across a magnetic field . I have goemon 2 and play it on a modded eu snes. I don't have these red waves. Are they the only games with that problem or are there any of your old games with the same problem?

Disappear here.Image
Spoiler:
Proud owner of :
A modded ( rgb stereo / US/EU) Nintendo NES (europe)
A modded (rgb) PC Engine Duo (japan)
A modded ( 9-pins rgb) pc engine 1
A modded ( US/JP/EU)dreamcast ( japan)
A dreamcast ( europe)
A PC engine GT (jp)
A Modded (US, EU, JP) saturn
A saturn (europe)
A modded Sega megadrive ( US, EU, JP)
A PS one ( europe)
A modded ( 50/60 hertz JP/US/EU) snes
A super famicom
A gamecube ( europe)
A nintendo 64 ( europe)
A gameboy Advanced ( europe)
raika 4

Custom Title: always on pc engine

Postby duwen » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:51 am

I'd suggest trying different video cables - it could be down to poorly shielded wires... I'd also recommend anything better than composite if it's possible for you.
I've never noticed anything like this on any of my PAL or NTSC SNES's, and the majority of my carts are Super Famicom versions. I use rgb scart cables.

My...
Spoiler:
Handhelds:
Sega Game Gear, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, GBA SP, NDS,
3DS & N3DS XL, PS Vita

Consoles:
Master System, Mega Drive, Mega CD, SNES, SNES Mini/Jr, Neo-Geo CD, Playstation,
Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Gamecube (w/ Gameboy Player), Wii, Playstation 3,
Xbox 360, Wii U, Playstation 4 Pro

Computers:
48k Sinclair ZX Spectrum, Commodore Amiga A1200, Win PC

Other:
Pandoras Box 4S+, Android devices
duwen 4

Custom Title: 絶対領域

Postby EllipsesMadeFlesh » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:25 pm

raika wrote:Yeah, this must come from the pcb's of the games, they might bhave come across a magnetic field . I have goemon 2 and play it on a modded eu snes. I don't have these red waves. Are they the only games with that problem or are there any of your old games with the same problem?

I probably should have a look to see if any of my SNES carts do the same. I would figure if they came across a magnetic field or something damaged them that they wouldn't display the same thing. My guess is that the affected ones all have something in their construction that cause it.

Still, yeah, I need to check if my SNES carts do this as well.

With the years as my axe, I present the field my philosophy:
Let he who is without shin cast the first bone!

EllipsesMadeFlesh 2

Return to General Gaming Chat