Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Dreamcast burning 101

Discuss Everything Related to the Dreamcast Here!

Re: Dreamcast burning 101

Postby fredyyy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:39 am

Is this the right thread to ask a question about burning bleemtselfboot for dreamcast?

fredyyy Newbie

Postby HOTROD » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:11 am

so I got the imgburn included on this site and been lurking around the forum and read this "It will work without overburn 779mb and under and up to 785mb" so in that case how do I enable overburn on imgburn?

N64-NO HOOKUPS :(
PS2 Slim & FAT-Free MC Boot 1.93
PS3 Super Slim-OFW 4.55
PS4 SLIM
Wii-cIOS d2x v8+Dios Mios Lite 2.10
Wii U- NNID: Uberredman
HOTROD 2

Postby comicstar100 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:34 am

Quick question when I first started burning my back up games I didn't notice most people recommended 16x speed. I burned them all at 4x, they seem to play fine but will they hurt my dreamcast system?

comicstar100 2

Postby gamerdude1989 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:07 am

sorry for newbi-ness, new to the dreamcast, but loving it so much

I downloaded and installed IMGBRN, i got the driver files, and pasted them directly into
C: program files x86/Imgbrn

is that it??

then just burn my .cdi dreamcast iso to cd-r at 4x speed (my preference),
then it will work on my dreamcast perfectly fine??

because i keep seeing things around the interweb, about Utopia boot disk??

i ask because, well, i dont want to pirate games, i like collecting legit games for my collection, BUT, i cant get a disk of Code breaker anywhere, so got the .cdi ISO file, so that i can play imports...

thanks

gamerdude1989 Newbie

Postby zxcvbnm » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:07 am

gamerdude1989 wrote:sorry for newbi-ness, new to the dreamcast, but loving it so much

I downloaded and installed IMGBRN, i got the driver files, and pasted them directly into
C: program files x86/Imgbrn

is that it??

then just burn my .cdi dreamcast iso to cd-r at 4x speed (my preference),
then it will work on my dreamcast perfectly fine??

because i keep seeing things around the interweb, about Utopia boot disk??

i ask because, well, i dont want to pirate games, i like collecting legit games for my collection, BUT, i cant get a disk of Code breaker anywhere, so got the .cdi ISO file, so that i can play imports...

thanks

IIRC, yes just pasting those files to that folder is all you need to do. Then Imgburn should work without a problem. Just burn onto a CD-R. Also don’t worry about the size of a CDI image file, it will still fit onto a standard 700MB CD-R (unlike an ISO or BIN on Playstation for example)

I burnt mine at 16x on various discs, and all work. I initially thought I burned them wrong, because sometimes they would struggle to boot or not at all, so I wasted quite a lot of discs. Turned out, the laser just needed a calibration (I just newly got that Dreamcast). Calibrating was extremely easy and every disc now works like a charm. (Notice to everyone: Just remember that when you’ve just got a Dreamcast, check the laser calibration first before wasting so many CD-Rs like I did.)

I’ve read that the Dreamcast will work better on a higher speed like 16x compared to a Playstation. 16x works 100% for me and other people too, so I suggest you to use this speed.
I’ll admit though, all my burns are pirated games. Even I don’t like to pirate stuff but I’m too broke to buy/import the real games, which would cost me well over a hundred quid for all.

Ah yeah, I don't even know much about Utopia boot disk. I just downloaded all my CDI image files from this website, burned them, and all boot normally like a retail, without using any kind of 'boot disk' or something like that. I think Utopia was a necessity a long time ago before the image files became patched to boot without one, not sure though.

Anyways good luck!

ImageImage
zxcvbnm 4

Postby Moandain » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:54 pm

much thanks for this.

@signaure = <Insert_Smart_and_wise_comment>

Consoles I own
Spoiler:
NES FRONT LOADER
SNES
SNES jr
N64
Gamecube
Wii x2
Wiiu
GBA
GBA SP
3DS XL
ATARI 2600 JR
ATARI 5200
ATARI 7800
ATARI JAGUAR
ATARI LYNX
3DO
CD-I
INTELLIVISION
COMMODORE 64
RADIOSHACK TRS80 COLOR
TG-16
PC-FX
MASTER SYSTEM
GENESIS/32X/CD MODEL 2
GENESIS MODEL 2
SATURN X2
DREAMCAST
GAMEGEAR
NOMAD
NEO GEO AES
NEO GEO POCKET COLOR
XBOX X2
XBOX 360 X2
XBOX ONE
PS1 X2
psone w/ screen
PS2 FAT X2
PS3 SLIM X2
PSP 3000
VITA 1001
PSTV
RETROPIE

My YouTube
Moandain 4

Postby Richter8 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:22 am

Ok guys, I'm at a loss. I cant seem to get any new back ups to work on my DC. Doesn't matter what media i use same thing just sits there trying to read the disc. I though i might need to calibrate my laser , however it still reads all my older games and back ups and emulator discs I made like 12 years ago! I've followed every tutorial i can find including this one.
What is up?

Something tells me this is going to hurt WAAAAYY more than they said!
Richter8 2

Postby lekrang » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:17 pm

I know this thread is old but I need your help.
I got a dreamcast yesterday and it is a REV 0.
All original disks I bought and put in there work fine.

I have been trying to burn discs since yesterday and nothing seems to work.
I have went out and bought several types of different disks. I got some fancy Sony Supremas discs that were really expensive, verbatim, onn and tdk discs, All 700 mb 80 min.

I have tried all supported speeds from my drive, an Asus internal burner (only supports 16,24,32,40,48 speeds) and none seem to work. I have tryed the images for Sonic adventures, marvel vs capcom 2, gta, powerstone all coming from this website.

I was wondering if this might be because of my burner or the dreamcast itself.
For those getting good results what burners do you use? (brand, model)

I am considering going out to buy another dreamcast or order a new burner from newegg.. :(

lekrang Newbie

Postby lekrang » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:23 pm

Turns out it actually did end up having everything to do with the media used...

I went out to buy an external LG dvd/cd burner and while I was at it got a 50 pack of HP cd-r's.
The first 2 I burned on the external burner worked so I decided to try an HP disc with my regular asus burner. To my surprise it worked. So did the 5 other games.

So yeah, I just returned the external burner. Now all discs I burn work perfectly fine with the HP CD-R's.

It baffles me how the expensive sony discs, verbatim, onn and tdk discs didn't work at all and these work every single time... Plus price wise, these HP discs are amongst the cheapest I bought...

lekrang Newbie

Postby ficeto001 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:55 pm

I recently came across new/unused stock of 99 minute CDrs. I was wondering how I can burn DC games that are in essence untouched? I tried to burn a GDi dump of Mars Matrix using IMG Burn with the CDi files incorporated and it didn't work. Any advice?

Also, can I make 1-1 back ups of my current official DC games and burn them to a 99min CDr to play?

TIA

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."
ficeto001 4

Postby lord_snoodles » Thu May 26, 2016 12:25 am

CurbsidePharmacist wrote:I let IMGburn do AWS on mine most of the time, sometimes i will set it to 6x for PS2 dvds but honestly i think i need to do some research on this.

I assumed the slower speed means a stronger imprint in the DVD/CD that would last much longer and less chance of read write/errors. But at times ive seen games like FF7 burn and skip and run funky till i reburned with AWS and it ran fine... so i let PS1 game rip AWS.

This issue bothers me in a way, i have burned games and they have not worked and yet reburn them again and it works fine. I hate wasting disks on shit so im curious if there is a sure fire way to burn anything perfect the first time like take in the factors on CD/DVD writers speeds and the media you burn with speeds also. I see on some programs like ImgBurn it has way more speed options vs alcohol %120 but at the same time i think ImgBurn can try to force speeds your burner may not like to burn at (i think Tobaccoo talked about this a while back) I think i will go and look up my DVD burners speeds and information and my media and base my speed on something they both agree on, i think it may just be hardware ability in the end when it comes to speed. I hate the fact there are so many things that can factor a disk not working my spare PS2 is starting to struggle on disks now being picky about reading them but i cant pinpoint if its the media or the system.

Now i think i want to see if i can burn stuff at max and see lol

Same here with success using the AWS setting. My first couple burns I tried Faststriker at 2x (lowest speed) and then did another game at AWS by accident (didn't get that IMGburn re-set settings after each burn). The Faststriker didn't work, the game done at AWS did.

Since, I've been doing all the games at AWS. 90% work. I'll try the duds at 4x and report back if there's success.

By the way, I still can't get Faststriker to work. I'm going off a CDI file. I tried at AWS. Gunlord and Dux 1.5 worked great. Anyone have an insight to this?

lord_snoodles 3

Postby charlie97l » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:20 pm

hey all, new rev 1 DC here, trying to get burns to work. followed the guides on this site, no luck.

reads my legit copies of the games just fine. Using an LG external USB writer, and Sony CD-Rs (I've also got some Memorex, may try those).

Any guidance?

charlie97l Newbie

Postby symonsays » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:01 pm

its been a long time since this system came out. im running windows 7. and followed all instructions. no matter what i burn at 4 8 12 16 .... none of them work in my dreamcast. any suggestions?

symonsays Newbie

Postby Garryg » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:20 pm

I haven't burnt any DC games for years, but had/have tones packed away somewhere.

I just used DiskJuggler as far as I can remember, or an early version of Nero before they changed it so it didn't work anymore :(

Garryg 2

Postby LlamaLord » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:36 pm

I am going to buy a burner today to start burning what is the best one for this? Does it matter who makes it?

LlamaLord Newbie

Postby Wolfcorgi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi guys, I created a video tutorial on burning DC games for Mac users. Thought it was time for a recent update for some of us having troubles.

Last edited by eugenerobinhood1 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed YouTube Link.
Wolfcorgi 2

Postby PolluxPT » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:16 pm

That's a good thing!
I'm back to my DC again, after 7 years, and I had to read the old topics to remember how to burn games... lol...
The old method still works but the burning speed is higher now.
I'm using a HP EliteBook with Windows 10 machine.

PolluxPT Newbie

Postby mistamontiel » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:27 am

Welcome back

mistamontiel 6

Custom Title: ..!!

Postby XC-3730C » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:41 am

I wanna convert a bunch of SDISO games from this site to CDI. I can extract the ISO files no prob, but how would I rebuild them into self booting CDI's?

Old school RGB systems I own:
Spoiler:
AV Famicom w/ NES2RGB + FDS drive w/write mod
SNES
N64
Sega Genesis 1/Sega CD 1, Super Magic Drive Plus
Sega Saturn w/mod chip + AR 4-in1
Atari Jaguar w/Jag CD
3DO (RGB modded)
PSX w/stealth chip
PS2 w/ network adapter, 120gb HDD, FMCB
Neo Geo MVS

HDTV capable systems I own:
Spoiler:
Alienware Alpha i3, 16gb RAM, 256gb SSD
Nvidia Shield TV (Android)
Xbox 360 phat Jasper RGH'd
PS3 Slim with CFW

Other systems:
Spoiler:
Gamecube platinum w/Viper case, Qoob SX, GBA player
Dreamcast w/GDemu, 128gb SD
Original Xbox v1.6 + X3 chip, green Ghostcase, 2TB HDDHitachi HDD/DVD
XC-3730C 7

Custom Title: We've obtained retro greatness...

Previous

Return to Dreamcast Chat