Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Dreamcast burning 101

Discuss Everything Related to the Dreamcast Here!

Re: Dreamcast burning 101

Postby Marreb » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:06 am

Thank you very much! Works great, been able to burn some of my favorite games with this.

Marreb Newbie

Postby DreamLover » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:22 pm

I tried ImgBurn with 4x burning speed and after I put a CD to Dreamcast, my console's drive has been making iritating sound (like whistling), but game ran well. Now I know 4x speed isn't one I need (at least on ImgBurn).
When I use DiscJuggler (I burnt 2 CDs with Mode 2/2336/CD-XA settings and both seemed to work fine) and I'm setting lowest possible speed (DiscJuggler suggests my lowest possible burning speed is 8x) Dreamcast runs good and drive doesn't whistle.
I have 2 questions for you, guys:

1) I know it's more ImgBurn thread but I'm curious about it. In this burning guide:
Burn Dreamcast games perfectly on DiscJuggler every time
there are two options of burning games;
"one track/session game" - Mode 1 /2048 / CD-ROM/DVD
"two or more tracks/sessions" - Mode 2 / 2336 / CD-XA
Where can I find whether my game is "one track" or "2-track"? And are these settings okey? How do you think? My friend told me to burn games with "Audio / 2352 / CD-DA / RAW write". Is this setting correct and what's the difference?

2) When I set the lowest possible burning speed on DJ (like 8x) on "real speed" it shows ~16x . Does it mean it doesn't care about my settings and burn a CD in 16x speed?

3) Finally, what's the safest burning speed for DC games? DiscJuggler seems to burn fine with (8x set and real 16x speed). ImgBurn doesn't burn fine with 4x speed. How do you think, guys, what's the safest speed? I'll try to burn a new CD tomorrow (ImgBurn with 8x/16x) and check whether the whistling sound will appear.

Thank you very much. You're awesome. Thanks to you I can play DC games on my console. Merry Christmas everyone.

//Edit
I burnt a game in ImgBurn with 8x and DC hasn't even recognized it (I don't know whether it's question of burning failure or just 8x). I burnt this same game with 16x and it ran well.

Last edited by DreamLover on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DreamLover Newbie

Postby aliens8us » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:32 pm

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I love my Dreamcast and saved it purposely to install into my Arcade cabinet. I was getting frustrated downloading the ISO and using NERO to burn the image, only to see the 'mp3 music screen' on the Dreamcast.

* Xbox Modded Console 2TB (Ninja Premium)
* Xbox 360 S RGH Modded Console 500GB
* Nintendo Wii Modded Console (SNES,NES, Genesis, GBA, GC)
* Playstation 2 Slim/modified (FreeMcBoot)
* Non-modified: Xbox One 2TB, PS1 Slim, PS3 500gb, Sega Dreamcast
aliens8us 3

Custom Title: TK-16309

Postby raithos » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:57 am

I really appreciate this being posted. Every single game I have burned since reading this has worked perfectly burned at x16 (slowest my burners supports).

raithos Newbie

Custom Title: The best Zaku pilot

Postby Slino » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:00 pm

I burn Dreamcast games with ImgBurn and this is the tutorial that I use to burn Dreamcast games

Programs and Files Needed:

Daemon Tools Lite
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/downloads/dtLite

ImgBurn
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

CDI Dreamcast Files for ImgBurn (pfctoc pack)
http://theisozone.com/downloads/pc/othe ... t-drivers/

TUTORIAL

1st Download Daemon Tools, ImgBurn and package Dreamcast Drivers w / ImgBurn

2nd Install Daemon Tools and ImgBurn. Extract the files from the package "CDI Files for ImgBurn" (pfctoc.lib, pfctoc.he pfctoc.dll) and paste in ImgBurn installation folder (C: \ Program Files \ ImgBurn)

3rd Open Daemon Tools and click on "vitual disk", choose the file from the extracted game (CDI file) and click "Open" to mount the image of the game downloaded, do not close Daemon Tools!

4th Go to the ImgBurn, click "Create Image From Disc file" and select the virtual disk mounted by Daemon Tools (F: for example), choose the output destination and leave with 8x speed

5th Once completed, open ImgBurn, click "Write Image file to Disc" and select the image created (CUE file), burn with 8x speed and let the "Verify" box unchecked

Done! Now just play and have fun! Enjoy! :D

Slino Newbie

Postby alarrivy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:33 am

sO DO YOU NEED TO HAVE A MOD CHIP OR R IT TO PLAY ANYTHING ELSE DONE TO THE DREAMCAST FOR BURNT GAMES TO WORK??

alarrivy Newbie

Postby Gman » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:37 am

alarrivy wrote:sO DO YOU NEED TO HAVE A MOD CHIP OR R IT TO PLAY ANYTHING ELSE DONE TO THE DREAMCAST FOR BURNT GAMES TO WORK??

Nope. No mod chip needed. Just burn the ISO with IMGburn to a 80 min CD-R and your good to go. Some do need a 99min CD-R though, but only a few.

Modded Consoles: PSone w/Screen (chipped), PS2 (Slim, FMCB), Xbox (Halo TSOP), PSP 1001 (CFW)

Current Games Being Played: Doom/Doom II: Hell On Earth (1993/1994; PC)

Successful Trades/Purchases:
CurbsidePharmacist 10/10, jinn 10/10, boredguy123 10/10

I'd like to thank JaMbo87 as well as all of the people i've met here on the site. This is the best site ever imho.

Spoiler:
Gman 13

Custom Title: Thanks For The Snoop Dogg Guys

Postby mistamontiel » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:16 am

What's up with the ImgBurn download here ?

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/pc/ ... t-drivers/

atreyu187 says it will burn NRG and MDS images, but it's the same package with only .cdi support

Alcohol refuses to work.. please assist

mistamontiel 6

Custom Title: ..!!

Postby Esppiral » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:39 am

Nice tutorial, it's been ages since I last burned a Dreamcast game, so I supose it's time to go back to work xD I'll try with Half Life patched 100% voices and subtitles in spanish, oh man how much I like the Dreamcast love around the net +_+

I'll comment results later.

English is not my native language, don't hesitate to correct me. :)
Esppiral 2

Postby grandetaco » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:45 pm

I did't want to create a new thread for a simple question but how do i know if i need an 80 or 99 minute cd to burn a certain game? On some games, it states that you need a 80 or 99 min cd but others don't. Thanks.

grandetaco Newbie

Postby SegAddict » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:19 pm

Thank you so much! This finally worked for me after I have wasted tons of blank CDs trying other methods.

EDIT - Just one question... can I use this same method to burn Sega CD games?

SegAddict 2

Postby dave_van_damn » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Soooo I've always used DJ to burn using Mode 1 2048 Raw for all discs without any problems. That said, I've had 2 DCs crap out on me in 3 years and I play a lot of cd-r games.

Would using Imgburn result in a better quality 'burn' than DJ or is it just recommended bcos it's easier to use? Also, should I continue using Mode 1 2048 Raw or should I use Mode 2 2352 CD-DA, instead? Can using different burning options reduce the strain the cd-r puts on the DC laser?

Thanks!

dave_van_damn 2

Postby DrBubbles » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Hey I just got a dreamcast so I'm new to this whole thing. I haven't actually had any problems yet I'm just looking to avoid wasting disks.
Anyway when I go into ISO downloads under the dreamcast section is every download in there safe to burn to a disk or should I be careful/look for something specific?

I should also add my console is US/CA not sure if that means J games won't run on it or not.

EDIT: Used 2 disks that were wasted at the very beginning. Ever since then burnt over 40 games without any mess-ups. Disk Juggler on default settings is what I've decided to stick with.

DrBubbles Newbie

Postby Jiraiya21 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:06 pm

I've downloaded PROJECT_JUSTICE_HACK_U_BY_YZB, burned the cdi file with imgburn and discjuggler but no luck so far.... My Dreamcast just doesn't read the disc.
Anyone has any suggestions??

Jiraiya21 Newbie

Postby SeanNChar2014 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:17 am

I'm trying to get this game to burn but can't figure out how to get the files to seperate into 4 disc can you help me please someone? http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/dre ... shenmue-2/ this is the first issue i've had trying to burn a game also d2 is giving me problems maybe it's the winrar and discjuggler i'm using please help if there is something better to use thanks all and have a nice day

SeanNChar2014 Newbie

Postby paulmelv » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks for this, painless and simple, just what I need :)

paulmelv 2

Postby dazedman00 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:13 am

I installed this on two computers and no luck. 3 coasters. I tried this on win 7 x64 ult. And win xp both with different burners. My disks are rated slowest at 10x and that didn't help. I also tried auto and still no luck. At a loss here. Please help

///edit
I found a old copy of DJ 3 from back when I did this before successfully. I installed on my xp machine and started burning to test it out. First try was a coaster. Second try no go. I am at a loss why this doesn't work. My CDs are 99min but the game I want is 99min disk required. Please help.

dazedman00 Newbie

Postby Raen » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:41 pm

99min discs are known to produce coasters like crazy, as they are of crap production quality when compared to the 80min and 90min discs.

Raen Newbie

Postby hjuuh » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:55 am

Hi all! I have couple things i found out when i burning games.
If you get fail discs 99% it dosn't depend your software(i tryed 4xburning soft), it depends your hardware. I tryed 3x cd burner and resuls are in first cd burner i got 50% cd's to work, second one i get 2/10 so not so good, and 3th the oldest one i get 0% to work(i tryed burn 5games). Then i decide to buy new dvd/cd burner its asus external burner and now i have burned about 30games and all cd's work. I have useing imgburner, alcohol and Discjuggler all work 100% fine. So i think all my problems and i think your soo depends your cd burner.
ps. Sorry if this isn't right topic, i'm new here so dont know where this belong.

hjuuh Newbie

Postby bretz999 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:28 pm

Yea I burn my DC games at 48x and there's no problem. Good idea to use decent discs though

bretz999 2

Custom Title: thats me

PreviousNext

Return to Dreamcast Chat