Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

How old were you when the Sega Dreamcast came out?

Discuss Everything Related to the Dreamcast Here!

Re: How old were you when the Sega Dreamcast came out?

Postby babatobi » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:48 pm

I was 1 when it came out :D :D, even though my fingers were small at that time, am sure that I did play it in my mom's womb and in my dreams :D :D

My Uploads

My consoles/handhelds:
Spoiler:
Ps2 fat
Sega megadrive
Nintendo64
Sega Dreamcast
Gameboy advance

Add me on discord: babatobi#9751
babatobi 4

Custom Title: I will never rest until I become the best

Postby Thelonewolf » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:58 pm

Was 21 and paid £350 on a jp import console with SA on release. I now own 6 consoles with one using GDEMU and another with USB GDROM, the rest are spares.

Still my favourite console of all time to this day.

Thelonewolf 4

Postby cat » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:14 pm

Being a sega nut i got mine end of 98 on import so i was 32.
Had HOTD2 and sonic adventure with it.
Picked up blue stinger, sega rally 2, power stone and dynamite cop not long after.
One of my favourite consoles of all time, way ahead of all the other consoles at the time and an absolute disgrace it failed so badly.
Put paid to my beloved sega who are now just a shallow zombified shell of they're former glorious self.
Won't be long before they are dev's for mobile phones only, sad indeed.

Consoles I Own

Spoiler:
My systems....

snes x 2 and 16 mb wildcard
N64
Gamecube
Wii
Master system
Megadrive x 4
Mega CD
32X
Saturn x 3
Dreamcast
Neo AES
NGCD
Neo CMVS
3DO x 2 FZ-1 and FZ-10
PS1
PS2
PS3
XBOX x3
XBOX 360
Sega nomad
Game gear
PSP x 4
GBA
DS x 2
Cocktail cab with mame
cat 7

Custom Title: shmup fan wanna try to beat me hahaha, good luck..

Postby Mr357 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:21 pm

17 years younger than I am now. :lol:

At the time, I only knew one person that had one, and I don't think they had many games for it because they got a Gamecube shortly after. I remember looking at the controller and not taking it seriously. I had a lot to learn.

Shenmue: The Movie Remastered
Spoiler:

Shenmue II: The Movie
Spoiler:

My consoles
Spoiler:
Genesis (Model 1) - composite
Genesis (Model 2) - composite
Sega CD (Model 1)
Sega CD (Model 2)
SNES - S-video
PC Engine Duo-R - composite
Sega Saturn (Model 1) (Modchip'd) - S-video
Playstation (7501) - S-video
Nintendo 64 - S-video
Dreamcast - S-video/VGA
Playstation 2 (Fat) - component
Xbox - component
Gamecube (Black) - S-video
Wii - component
Mr357 5

Custom Title: (Old) Sega fan

Postby Ray93 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:23 pm

I was 6 when it came out. i wasn't able to get one until a year after it released. family broke it the year after and it took me from 2001 all the way to 2011 just to get one that worked.

AMD FX-8300 AM3+ 3.3Ghz
16GB DDR3 1333MHz
EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5
1TB HDD
Windows 10 Professional x64
Original Xbox v1.6: XBMC 30GB
PS2 SCPH-39001: OSD 80GB
Ray93 4

Custom Title: I always have a plan.

Postby ryder4life » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:29 pm

i would have been 14 at the time. Ah the good ol days of gettin high and playin video games. Now kids are here and work and less time i can game. O well

ryder4life 8

Custom Title: Gamecube Preserver

Postby cat » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:19 pm

Thelonewolf wrote:Was 21 and paid £350 on a jp import console with SA on release. I now own 6 consoles with one using GDEMU and another with USB GDROM, the rest are spares.

Still my favourite console of all time to this day.

Now i'm seeing this lonewolf, i picked mine up from a local independant games shop in swansea (biggest town local to me) and paid £250 (and it could well have been early 99 actually, i'm not quite sure) so not a bad deal, by the time i got the boxed HOTD with the gun included, a VMU, and sonic adventure, it was more like what you paid £350, and worth every penny.
I've still got the HOTD2, that i bought way back then, but the console was replaced with a pal one long ago.
Spoiler:

I just found this as well, i'm wondering if this is the infamous free disc given away by one of the dreamcast mags that let you unintentionally play back ups and other region games, can't see any other reason i'd keep it....
Spoiler:
ImageImage

Consoles I Own

Spoiler:
My systems....

snes x 2 and 16 mb wildcard
N64
Gamecube
Wii
Master system
Megadrive x 4
Mega CD
32X
Saturn x 3
Dreamcast
Neo AES
NGCD
Neo CMVS
3DO x 2 FZ-1 and FZ-10
PS1
PS2
PS3
XBOX x3
XBOX 360
Sega nomad
Game gear
PSP x 4
GBA
DS x 2
Cocktail cab with mame
cat 7

Custom Title: shmup fan wanna try to beat me hahaha, good luck..

Postby VoodooVincent » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:51 pm

Around 13. Probably the most excited I ever was for a console launch. I grew up a Sega kid since I got a Genesis at a young age, but didn't get a Saturn for a while, so I was really excited for the newest Sega console. Even though its life was short, it delivered.

VoodooVincent 7

Postby Reaver » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:58 pm

I was 17 When it Came Out But Did Not Get One Until February of 2000. :mrgreen:

Reaver 5

Custom Title: ....Or Not!

Postby Jesusloves » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:03 pm

LucidSegaDreams wrote:I was 13 or 14. Saved up that whole summer for the launch only to have some ass-hat break into my home to steal it:(

People that steal are usually close to you sadly. People that know your house well aka friends or family members. I'm not sure if you ever found out who stole from you but those are the people that sadly do it most of the time since they're familiar with the house.

Jesusloves 2

Postby Shadow_StarLust » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:10 pm

I was about 5, the only systems I have played or heard of was the snes and n64.
i went to my fathers girlfriends familys house and i a white box that had what i thought was the controller. (it was) I also got to play battletoads on the Gameboy that day. fucking turbotunnel...

i didn't get to play or own a dreamcast till a couple years ago. man i missed out.

Shadow_StarLust 9

Custom Title: Goth child. TIZ's Original Shadow..

Postby bacardipr » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:38 pm

It was 25 going on 26. I bought it on release date. I still have original DC but the laser went wonky last year. The dreamcast is still my fav system next to the original NES then followed by the Genny. The reason i think the DC is special for me it was about that time in ones life when your still young but expected to act more mature and grown up. Like a crossroads sorta. Once the DC fell videogaming was never the same for me. I bought the original Xbox and pretty much stopped there.

bacardipr 2

Postby PlayDoh003 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:25 pm

I was 32... My brother bought one at launch, given that he worked at CompUSA at the time, so I just used to drop by and play once in a while. I liked it, but things were tight at the time. Fast forward less than two years later, and I was at the front door at Best Buy the day I heard that they were dropping the price to $49.99 - scooped one up, and got whatever games I could get my hands over the next 2 months, most for $14.99 or less. In total, I picked up about 25 games, all discounted.

Since then, I've continued collecting as I could. I'm up to just over 100 now, including some imports. Easily the best console I own, and it still gets used from time to time... Of course, for those games that you'd have to mortgage a house to buy otherwise, there's TIZ :lovetiz:

PlayDoh003 5

Postby saberman888 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:43 pm

I didn't really exist yet.

Desktop PC Core 2 Duo 2.93Ghz 2GB Ram ( I plan to upgrade it more )
[url='http://steamcommunity.com/id/saberman']Image[/url]
saberman888 3

Custom Title: Roy Gerbil

Postby Radimore » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:08 pm

I was 6 years old when the Dreamcast came out.
I don't think I remember seeing a gameplay of one DC launch game on tv at the time it was released.

WE ARE RADIANT AND HEROIC
Radimore 2

Custom Title: Go over time and space.....

Postby Absurd » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:25 am

29, picked up a Japanese import in '98, still have it now. My ex wife and I used to spend hours playing Get Bass with the proper SEGA fishing rod and Pen Pen TriIcelon. As for how many hours I sunk in THotD 2 I dread to think...

Absurd 3

Custom Title: Complete shithouse

Postby kenface » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:27 pm

I was 10 years old. I didn't own one until much later on. It has become one of my all-time favorite systems, and I think that it is very underrated for what it does/can do.

kenface Newbie

Postby SegaRenaissance » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:21 am

16. I didn't get the Dreamcast on launch day because my Mom wanted me to buy school clothes, but I did finally pick it up from GameCrazy on November 8,1999. Sonic Adventure was my launch title I played the heck out of.

#BringBackThe4thGen

Bring back SEGA & Nintendo.

Bring back REAL video gaming.
SegaRenaissance Newbie

Custom Title: Let's Get to the next level.

Postby SegaRenaissance » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:28 am

bacardipr wrote:It was 25 going on 26. I bought it on release date. I still have original DC but the laser went wonky last year. The dreamcast is still my fav system next to the original NES then followed by the Genny. The reason i think the DC is special for me it was about that time in ones life when your still young but expected to act more mature and grown up. Like a crossroads sorta. Once the DC fell videogaming was never the same for me. I bought the original Xbox and pretty much stopped there.

I will never forgive Isao Okawa for pulling the plug in 2000 and attempting to destroy the entire company for his own selfish gain and neither does Sega United, its incoming parent company G***Enterprises,LLC and our partners, Alethiea Games,LLC and AG's Operation Razor campaign.

The Dreamcast is a video gaming cliffhanger. It wasn't the end.

It's time for a new chapter. A NEW SEGA home consumer product.

We veteran gamers are tired of this Call of Duty infested industry and are tired of seeing Nintendo struggle with underpowered,gimmicky consoles. We're tired of the ESA, tired of Sony and MS turning video gaming into a digital multimedia medium where gaming is secondary.

We're tired of Microtransactions,DRM abuse, shilled game journalism like IGN, overpriced DLC, unpolished games and season passes.

We want change. Do you?

#BringBackThe4thGen

Bring back SEGA & Nintendo.

Bring back REAL video gaming.
SegaRenaissance Newbie

Custom Title: Let's Get to the next level.

Postby PlayDoh003 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:45 am

Sadly, I don't think it will ever happen. The console landscape has changed tremendously, and the required R&D investment to produce something other than a tried and true PC-like architecture could be astronomical anyway. Let's not even mention the fact that the Xbox 360 and PS3 were quite complex to develop for, even though they were cutting edge for their time. Nintendo obviously stretched out the old Gekko architecture way too far, which is probably part of the reason the Wii U failed to stand out, and even moreso, failed to win over any developers long term. Both Sony and Microsoft were kind of forced to go the x64 architecture route to save development costs as well.

The real big problem here is that this latest generation of consoles launched at an awkward time. Advances in hardware aren't quite as bleeding edge as they were 10 years ago, so for the first time, you have consoles that can't quite keep up with a decent PC. At least not one that you can sell at an affordable price for the masses. And as for the Arcade scene that is still alive in Japan? All those machines pretty much run on x64 hardware as well.

Let's face it, SEGA is not exactly rosy a the moment either in the software market; these past few years of Sonic releases have really tarnished the franchise IMHO... One can only hope that Sonic Mania can turn that around. Sure, they are probably profitable, but likely nothing that I would write home about.

PlayDoh003 5

PreviousNext

Return to Dreamcast Chat