Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Downloading Homebrew Beats Of Rage Games Onto D.C. Discs.

Everything Related to Sega Dreamcast Homebrew Here!

Downloading Homebrew Beats Of Rage Games Onto D.C. Discs.

Postby thewildace » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:23 pm

I recently discovered the Beats Of Rage series of homebrew games which you can download onto discs to play on your Sega Dreamcast console via this website. But I'm not exactly sure how to do this, and can someone here walk me through on how to do so, and what kinds of discs I'd need to make this happen? Would love to play these on my Dreamcast console, if possible. Thanks. :)

thewildace 3

Re: Downloading Homebrew Beats Of Rage Games Onto D.C. Discs

Postby Katom1096 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:25 pm

Katom1096 5

Custom Title: Retro Games Rock! I originally joined 1-29 2012

Postby thewildace » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:50 pm

Thanks. Where's the exact section of exactly how to tell you to burn them onto discs for use on a D.C.? Forgive me in advance, as this is something I'm new at, and want to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing before I may give this a try. Are there any videos of sorts, which can help walk me through this, and would make understanding how to easier as well?

thewildace 3

Postby Biggsy666 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:03 pm

Download all parts then unzip with winrar (.rar file) or 7zip if necessary. Once unpacked you should should burn to disc using imgburn (version with pluggins) at AWS speed. Use any decent disc media as long as its CD-R (maxell, verbatim etc). This is a good starting point for you and may be all good but may also need tweeking according to your setup (burner, laser strength and other variables).

Other will burn using other programs/speeds but this is the most popular method. The programs are below:

Imgburn with pluggins : http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/pc/ ... burn-v258/

Winrar for 32bit : http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/mis ... rar-32bit/

Winrar for 64bit : http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/mis ... ar-64-bit/

7-Zip Extractor - http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/mis ... extractor/

My Systems
Spoiler:
Acorn Electron
CPC464
C64
ZX Spectrum +2
Atari 2600
NES & Famicom w/ FDS
SNES & Super Famicom
N64 1 x PAL, 1 x NTSC-J
Gamecube x2 Xeno
Wii x2 softmod
Master System
Mega Drive MKI RGB w/switches & MKII
Saturn
Dreamcast
PS1 Audiophile, 3 chipped & 1 slim w/screen
PS2 1 fat silver with FMCB/120gb HDD & 1 slim w/screen
PS3 1 fat, 1 slim
Xbox (soft mod 200gb & 1 Crystal hard mod 120gb)
Xbox 360
PSP x2 CFW
GameGear
Wonderswan
N-Gage & N-Gage QD
Gameboy, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, 2x GB Macro
Nintendo DS, DSL, DSi & 3DS

My Custom Projects Click Here
Biggsy666 13

Custom Title: The Reverend

Postby Hardak » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:32 pm

With the DC it's kind of a learn as you burn situation. Just jump right in and make a few coasters with pride. Glad the DC is still getting people new to the scene in 2018!

Hardak 13

Custom Title: Glitching™

Postby thewildace » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:27 am

Thanks. I'll give this a try to see where I get, and hope I'll have this down soon. Will let you know how it goes, and if I have any further questions, or concerns.

thewildace 3

Postby thewildace » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:03 am

What's the best app/program to open these files with? I keep trying Firefox (the default one), but it keeps on repeating itself by opening up a new tab, asking me the same question as to what I want to open it with?

thewildace 3

Postby itsonlyleggy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:42 pm

Okay, so if you download a Beats of Rage game from our Dreamcast homebrew section all you have to do is open the CDI with Imgburn and burn to a good CDR at a good speed. Done.

If the beats of Rage game you want ISN'T in our dreamcast section that may prove to be a little trickier. I suggest you download a Dreamcast Beats of Rage game, unpack the CDI file using a tutorial like this one

https://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8045

and then swap the game data from the cdi for the game data you want to play. Then recompile the CDI, burn that, and pray.

Some BOR games won't run that well on Dreamcast, it depends on how hard it pushes the hardware. Best to stick to the pre-configured CDIs already available here.

It would be much easier to play different BOR games on PC or original Xbox. Both have better hardware and the ability to move/remove files easily. Good luck anyway!

My current systems
Spoiler:
Red 360 Elite
Phat PS3 CFW/1TB External/300gb Internal
Crystal Xbox Hardmod 500gb HDD
PS2 FMCB 500gb HDD, Samsung GearVR
Saturn - multi region/modchip/50 60hz
Clear Green N64, NES, SNES, Master System all W/Everdrive,
Amiga 600 modded, Spectrum 48k, Ouya
PS1 chipped. Gamecube Chipped.
CD32, Dreamcast, Atari 2600, Xbox One, White PS4,
PCEngine Core Grafx2 Megadrive/Mega CD, Vectrex, 3DO,
Amstrad 464, Wii Softmod
My gaming blog. Modern, retro and everything else. Please be a part of it! http://www.loaderror.co.uk

Latest Post - 2017 Updat ft. Megadrive!
itsonlyleggy 7

Custom Title: Barry Burton is my hero!

Postby thewildace » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:39 am

Good news, and I got this downloading thing pretty much licked! Had a friend of mine come over to show how this was done, and can do it myself with ease now. For some reason, I couldn't use ImgBurn to copy the discs, but I did find Disc Juggler, which seems to work okay, and am what I'm using to burn the games. I have a question about a particular game I tried downloading, which was Double Dragon 3: The Dragon Stone on the Double Dragon Revolution collection. When I go into the warehouse on Mission 1, I can't clear the part when you fight the bikers who try to run you down. A red clad biker briefly appears at the bottom of the screen, who quickly backtracks to the right (who you have no chance of killing), then you try to take down two green clad ones, who CAN be killed. Afterwords, another red clad biker appears on the bottom of the screen, who you get once chance to take down, and rides towards you. But whether you do or not, you never come across/get the chance to defeat the other/second red one, thus can't advance in the game beyond that point as a result. Any ideas as to why this is happening, and if there's a different version of this game that I can download for use on DC, which DOES work all the way? I'm not the only one who's had this problem I'm sure, which I'm really hoping there's a fix for.

thewildace 3

Postby thewildace » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:47 am

I also left a few comments on some of the homebrew Beats Of Rage games I downloaded, which had issues, specifically either crashing when a certain action happens, and/or getting stuck on loading at/after clearing a specific part in the game. I also figured out how to burn them with Alcohol 120%, though I'm not sure if that possibly makes a difference from using Disc Juggler, for what it's worth. Wonder why this happens, and if it's an issue with either the games themselves, or them being played on Dreamcast? Is it also possible to save stuff you can unlock in these games with a standard D.C. V.M.U. card by the way?

thewildace 3

Return to Dreamcast Homebrew