Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

ZsnexBox From Disc

Discuss apps and emulators here - Found a new release? Let us know by posting here!

ZsnexBox From Disc

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:20 pm

For archive purposes I wanted to burn ZsnexBox plus ROM sets to disc and I appear to have come across the same issue reported here.

When you download this or the same from any other source in file form, convert that to a XISO using either Qwix or C Xbox Tools and burn it correctly (DVD-R ImgBurn) it refuses to boot.

I thought I'd made a mistake so redid it, tried alternative downloads then even tried remaking the ISO from just the ZsnexBox folder file contents rather than the whole folder. Same results.

Here's what I don't understand: the loading screen recognises the disc as ZsnexBox but it won't launch from the main UX menu or direct from the default.xbe. However using DVD2Xbox to install it to the HDD from any of the discs I've burned and it works perfectly. Same thing if I simply copy the files from disc to a ZsnexBox folder.

I tried exactly the same thing with another emulator's file set downloaded and that booted perfectly from a disc first time. So its not the method or my set up.

I also tried reverse engineering the DVD2Xbox created installation ie. FTPing that to PC and turning it back into an ISO. No joy either.

There's a ZsnexBox ISO download here at TiZ which presumably works. Not tested it yet but I was hoping I'd see some obvious path issue in one of the .ini files or something else obviously different from the other downloads but no.

So what is going on with the other ZsnexBox downloads that stops them booting from disc, the same disc which can be used to install it to the HDD? Any ideas?

HisDivineShadow 9

Re: ZsnexBox From Disc

Postby Rocky5 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:42 pm

You got the config file in the root of the disc?

As it could be failing due to it not being able to write the config.

Could also be the fact it links D:\ to its root directory instead of the disc drive.

Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby HisDivineShadow » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:35 am

It has a Path.ini (see attachments) that points to everything being on the D:\drive which, as it is, on disc would seem to be correct.

The "ini" folder is empty and there's no other configuration file that I can find.

If that last suggestion is correct I assume that means there's no easy way to change it.

BTW I was wrong about copying the contents from the disc to a folder. I must have been trying to launch the disc again. But I retried simply copying the contents of the discs to a named folder on the HDD (F:\TMP\ZsnexBox Test) and launching those from the default.xbe or when, installed in Emulators, from the main menu, all worked perfectly.

I'm burning the ZsnexBox ISO download version I mentioned at the moment to test. As said when I extracted the files from it earlier for comparison there was no extra configuration file or anything obviously different that I could see.

screenshot.1.png

screenshot.2.png

EDIT

Just tried the ISO download version here burned to disc in the usual way and that too has the same problem. If nothing else it confirms what I said about it not appearing any different to the other file sets downloads here.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HisDivineShadow 9

Postby kaos_engr » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:21 am

Not sure if this still applies to the later versions of ZsnexBox. Found this in an old (2006) poorly formatted google cached FAQ on the emulator.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q:The games show up in the ROM browser, but when I start one, the Xbox freezes.

A:You most likely edited the Path.ini rompath value and put a "\" at the end of it. Delete the ending backslash to solve this problem. Another reason this will happen is if you try to load a rom in 7z, jma, or rar format. The rom could also be corrupt. It can be verified with NSRT and goodsnes.

I'm guessing not as that's the way the path.ini file was distributed with the release. Entries end with a backslash character.

kaos_engr 6

Postby kaos_engr » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:11 am

Ah, found this tidbit in docs\Frequently Asked Questions.txt:

Q: How do I run ZsnexBox from a DVD?

A: Change "usePathINI=1" to "usePathINI=0" in the Path.ini.
Make an XISO. Burn the DVD.

The D:\ in the Path.ini is the path where the default.xbe file is located not the Xbox's D:\ for the DVD drive. I'm guessing there's a problem linking the two like Rocky mentioned:

Rocky5 wrote:Could also be the fact it links D:\ to its root directory instead of the disc drive.

Thus, the use of paths in Path.ini needs to be disabled. Also, why JUNK's ISO doesn't work for you, its Path.ini file is:

Code: Select all
usePathINI=1
D:\bookmarks\
D:\artwork\Shots 1\
D:\artwork\Shots 2\
D:\artwork\Shots 3\
D:\artwork\Shots 4\
D:\artwork\Shots 5\
D:\artwork\Shots 6\
D:\artwork\Shots 7\
D:\artwork\Shots 8\
D:\sram\
D:\save\
D:\ini\
D:\rumble\
D:\cheats\
D:\garbage\
D:\roms\
D:\videos\

usePathINI=1 instead of usePathINI=0 as the FAQ states it should be to run ZsnexBox from DVD.

kaos_engr 6

Postby HisDivineShadow » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:00 pm

That info is very interesting, thanks.

I now understand Rocky5 did mean that the paths being used could be wrong and that would have lead naturally to me realising (actually confirming) the Path.ini was at the root :) of the problem getting it to run from disc.

It is not just me after the event saying this but right from the start I was wondering if it was something to do with that usePathINI=1.

I was going to try altering the paths to D:\ZsnexBox\....... etc or, what would have been far simpler, swapping the usePathINI= from 1 to 0. But when I extracted the ISO download here (assuming it was OK) and that had exactly the same Path.ini I thought it pointless wasting more DVDs testing either alternative.

Wish I had now.

I'll report back whether this simple solution works. I'm pretty sure it will.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby HisDivineShadow » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:11 pm

Just to confirm that, yes, simply changing the Path.ini > usePathINI=1 to 0 instead and ZsnexBox will run perfectly from a disc.

Thanks again to Rocky5 and kaos_engr for their help.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby HisDivineShadow » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:25 pm

Bit of an update.

Disc working fine, had a lot of fun testing it out playing Arkanoid last night but on exiting ZsnexBox I noticed something unexpected.

The disc, with the Path.ini used changed to "0", on launch it writes a new "ZsnexBox folder to the root of the E:\drive. It is not just a saves folder (see attachments below) it contains six other folders specified in that Path.ini although not the "roms" or "video" ones. The "ini" folder is the only one with anything new in it, basically the full ZsnexBox GUI settings. Apart from that they, and any sub-folders, are all empty.

There is a problem with this: writing this ZsnexBox folder direct to the E:\drive is not just messy there it could have consequences. At the moment it is just a few thousand KB but if artwork, saves etc are added and whatever the emulator decides it needs to write to it is included who knows how big it could get.

What I'm thinking is the Path.ini actually needs to be re-enabled and edited again but this time to use a folder on F:\, preferably F:\Emulators\ZsnexBox. The question is how exactly?

My instinct would be to substitute the "D:\" paths shown for all those folders in the Path.ini (including"video" and "roms") with F:\Emulators\ZsnexBox. But would that work and stop the folder on E:\ being generated?

Thoughts?

ZsnexBox From Disc.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Rocky5 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:11 pm

Yeah it has to do that or you won’t be able to configure anything for the emulator.

Hex edit th xbe file to change it. Also it will never get over 1GB in size, even a few hundred MB. I have thousands of tbn, cut files and it’s only like 600MB if that and that’s including XBMC and other emulator files )
( unless you fill it with videos, but then you will run out of space on the disc first )

Also if you’re softmodded, stop burning disc and just use the ISO mounter to mount the image for testing.
( if you haven’t done so already )

I run XBMC-Emustation on E for faster boot up and the emulators and roms on F for storage reasons.
( SegaCD is 30 odd GBs also this is where I got the number above )

Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby HisDivineShadow » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:21 pm

Getting it to run from disc was really just me being curious why it didn't, although still useful for archival and possibly transfer purposes. It had just ****** me off writing four discs and still not being able to make it bootable.

The irony is that from disc it still writes all that stuff to the HDD and, something I find annoying, to the E:\drive. So indeed it might as well be fully installed in F:\Emulators (which I had already done long ago with the previous version I have) and then it just uses its own folder and doesn't write anything to E:\.

As usual thanks for the info etc.

HisDivineShadow 9

Return to Xbox Homebrew Discussion