Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

AtariXLBox to Play Atari 800 & 5200 Games Help

Discuss apps and emulators here - Found a new release? Let us know by posting here!

AtariXLBox to Play Atari 800 & 5200 Games Help

Postby shedward » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:45 pm

Hello,

I uploaded AtariXLBox v6 (X•PORT EMULATION) to my XBOX and then uploaded a ton of games (Roms).

When I try to launch any of the games, I can not get them to work. They either go nowhere, go to a blue screen which states “BOOT ERROR” or other issues.

There are so many options to choose from when you choose a game:
• Media Selected is Disk, Cartridge, Cassette, Bootable Cassette
• Machine Type - Atari 800 XL, Atari 5200, etc.
• Cart Type - so many to choose from
And many other options…

I read on some Forum that you bring up keyboard (press left thumb) and enter H or N for some games. Not really sure how that works…

I’ve tried a bunch of different options with little or no success.
Does any know how to get these games for Atari 800 & 5200 to play on XBOX?

Thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shedward 3

Re: AtariXLBox to Play Atari 800 & 5200 Games Help

Postby kaos_engr » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:21 pm

I'd update to the latest version v8b05.

emuxtras.net = requires account to view the downloads section -> (Xbox) - Madmab Emus

The setup for each game should be pre-configured into the emulator so no setup changes. But I'm trying G y r u s s and the Xbox controller doesn't work to start gameplay. The emulator runss the game but I only see the starting screen not sure how to start playing. At games list, Setup (press Right Thumbstick button) shows the default configuration and says 5200 Joystick.

kaos_engr 7

Postby kaos_engr » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:34 pm

Hmm, configuration pre-configured. Maybe not. There's a readme.txt for the emu that says you need to know the type of distribution media the game came on. For a cartridge, there are several types and you have to try each one till a game works Some have -> <-surrounding them so try those first.

The game's manual says to press the left fire button to start a game; however, I see no such setting for mapping the Xbox controller to a Left Fire Button. Nothing in the controller configuration that says anything about a FIRE button left or right. There's a Button 1 and Button 2 for the joystick. I press them as configured nothing happens. Just the title screen shows up no gameplay. :(

====================================
Important Tips on Usage - README!!!!
====================================

There are many different file extensions for 8-bit Atari disk images but ATR and DCM
seem to be among the most common. These disk images can be zipped or unzipped, but
if they are zipped and the emulator will not be able to write data back to it.

If the file you have selected is a cartridge image (e.g. Atari 5200 cartridge image)
then you need to select the "Cartridge" media type from the configuration menu.
You will also need to select the cartridge type because the emulator cannot autodetect
the correct type. This is done simply through trial and error. When you are presented
with the list of cartridge types from which to select, you should notice that some
lines are surrounded by "-> <-" text. You should try all of those first before trying
any others.

If the file you have selected is an executable (e.g. an EXE, COm, XEX, etc file) then
you need to select the "Executable" media type from the configuration menu.

kaos_engr 7

Postby Berzerk » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:32 am

Would also like to point out some times some games can only be started using the keyboard input. It is trial and error trying to see what game works with what cartridge setting.

Berzerk 6

Custom Title: Go home and play with your Amiibos

Postby kaos_engr » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:38 am

Berzerk wrote:Would also like to point out sometimes some games can only be started using the keyboard input. It is trial and error trying to see what game works with what cartridge setting.

So many startup options. The manual states that you press the left fire button on the 5200 controller. I'm guessing that's the emulator's button 1, however, pressing (A) assigned to it doesn't do anything. Another button assigned is the Xbox controller White button which pauses gameplay as assigned.

Thought I'd start with a simple game before progressing to something more complex like keyboard input. But, I can't get the game to play other than finding the correct cartridge format to load it to show the title screen.

--
kaos_engr

kaos_engr 7

Postby kaos_engr » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:34 am

Played around more with the controller configuration to play G y r u s s. Eureka it works!

Had to reconfigure the default settings for the controller. There are 32 slots for various functions that can be sent from the controller to the emulator. For this game, there was no value set for 5200 Start function (Slot 10) - strange - enter Configure Controller 1 -> Change Joypad Mappings -> Change Game Mappings. A list of Slots 1-32 and each slot's (associated function) and up to 2 button controller combos is displayed. The controller 2 button combos can be either a 1 button combo: Button 1 + Button 2, single button: Button 1 + Nothing or unassigned: Nothing + Nothing to each Slot function.

For my game, I changed Slot 10 (5200 Start) by using the D-pad to move down to Slot 10 then pressed (A) to start the button assignment pop-up/timer to enter the associated button combo. For this slot's function 5200 Start, I assigned Start + Nothing by pressing A to enter the assignment phase followed by only the Start button within the timeout period. Next, I scrolled up to Slot 7 (Console Start) to change it (Press A) to Nothing + Nothing because Slot 7's function Console Start was previously assigned the same value I just entered for Slot 10 (5200 Start). Return to the game from the configuration menu (Press B a couple times to go back) to see Return to Game, now when the Start button is pressed gameplay commences. :D

I think I got it all down, but what a pain! Every game may need to have controller buttons reassigned before playing the game. The controller configuration can be saved to a named file (<your_name>.ini). The ability to start a 5200 game in a 5200 emulator seems to be a very important controller function but was not assigned a button combo to actually start gameplay. :(

kaos_engr 7

Return to Xbox Homebrew Discussion