Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

The benefits of a TSOP Flash (rough guide and some guidance)

System Mods, Hard Mods and Soft Mods - Discuss them here.

Re: The benefits of a TSOP Flash (rough guide and some guida

Postby kzxm300 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Great post but there are something that I'd like that you know, TSOP isn't the chip itself, TSOP is the packaging of the chip (integrated circuit). The chip is a flash memory that comes in TSOP packege.

kzxm300 Newbie

Postby hugocraft » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:31 am

I have a v1.0 xbox and wanting to flash TSOP but looking for the correct diagram since mine has the M29 XM4034 chip then do I use the winbound option?

hugocraft Newbie

Postby Jonny7810 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:11 pm

hugocraft - peel off the XM4034 sticker off the chip. It's a 1.0 by all means,4034 came with 1.0.

My consoles,v20.17:

Crystal 1.4 w/ iND-BIOS 5004,256KB ST TSOP,80GB WD800BB IDE,Phillips DVD-ROM,UnleashX
Xbox v1.0 w/ EvoX M8+ F&G,1MB TSOP,80GB Seagate ST3802110A IDE,Samsung SDG-605B DVD-ROM,XBMC
PS2 SCPH-50003 w/ Modbo 4.0 1.99
PS2 SCPH-50003 - silver, stock
PS2 SCPH-30004R w/ Ripper v2
PS2 SCPH-90004a - stock
PS2 SCPH-70004a - FMCB 1,93
PS2 SCPH-77007a - stock

Computers:
Main rig - Gigabyte GA-MA770-US3,AMD Athlon II X4 Processor 2.6GHz,4GB DDR2,Radeon R7 240 2GB,1TB Samsung HD103SI,H-L DVD drive,Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Jonny7810 3

Custom Title: Now look at this NET

Postby XC-3730C » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:01 pm

Has anyone come up with a way to TSOP without soldering? I tried taping down solder with electrical tape, but no luck.

Old school RGB systems I own:
Spoiler:
AV Famicom w/ NES2RGB + FDS drive w/write mod
SNES
N64
Sega Genesis 1/Sega CD 1, Super Magic Drive Plus
Sega Saturn w/mod chip + AR 4-in1
Atari Jaguar w/Jag CD
3DO (RGB modded)
PSX w/stealth chip
PS2 w/ network adapter, 120gb HDD, FMCB
Neo Geo MVS

HDTV capable systems I own:
Spoiler:
Alienware Alpha i3, 16gb RAM, 256gb SSD
Nvidia Shield TV (Android)
Xbox 360 phat Jasper RGH'd
PS3 Slim with CFW

Other systems:
Spoiler:
Gamecube platinum w/Viper case, Qoob SX, GBA player
Dreamcast w/GDemu, 128gb SD
Original Xbox v1.6 + X3 chip, green Ghostcase, 2TB HDDHitachi HDD/DVD
XC-3730C 7

Custom Title: We've obtained retro greatness...

Postby thewheelman282 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:26 pm

XC-3730C wrote:Has anyone come up with a way to TSOP without soldering? I tried taping down solder with electrical tape, but no luck.

conductive ink pen

>Helpful Tutorials<
How to properly burn PS1 games
How to use XboxHDM
How to install FreeMCBoot on your PS2
How to properly burn Dreamcast games

Image My YouTube Channel >> thewheelman282
Watch tutorials on console modding, repair, and more

The Golden Rule of Xbox Modding:
Backup eeprom.bin to your PC
Violators will be smacked!
thewheelman282 9

Custom Title: Brevity is the soul of wit

Postby thewheelman282 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:29 pm

For those interested in TSOP flashing for the first time, take some time to watch my 2 videos where i explain everything so you have a good understanding going in

>Helpful Tutorials<
How to use XboxHDM

thewheelman282 9

Postby FalconFour » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:01 am

So, I'm not exactly new to Xbox modding, as I've done a couple mods before that work fine. I have a v1.0 now that's in need of some modding love. But I've never done a softmod, mostly because I never had access to the, what, 2 or 3 games that are vulnerable to the mod? :(

Now in 2016, I'm finding nearly everyone saying "TSOP, TSOP, forget using a chip on v1.0". I'm quite familiar with how a TSOP mod works - you're replacing the original BIOS with the mod, directly, not booting from a secondary chip. And you use a homebrew flashing utility to program your new ROM onto the chip. OK, got it. But my question is this - if you don't have access to the games needed to soft-mod first, thus be able to boot homebrew software, then how do you TSOP flash? I've got Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc., to do the flashing myself, but that doesn't seem to be a plausible way to do it. It always seems to just go from "solder this and this" straight to "now boot this DVD", which ... I would imagine... isn't possible without an existing mod.

And since you can't boot homebrew SW (like the flashing tools needed here), how does one expect to accomplish TSOP flashing on a virgin Xbox without already having a softmod?

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question, but I didn't see it addressed in any of the threads and tutorials I've read and seen so far...

(I swear, I googled "xbox tsop without softmod" and Google looked at me like I'm retarded! Gave me results like "how do I convert softmod to TSOP flash" and "can I still TSOP even though I've softmodded"... but in youtu(dot)be(slash)gIw8k5areQg at 0:19, it's just fleetingly mentioned that "your console also has to be softmodded before being able to use this mod". Literally a 5-second phrase that ruins my day!)

FalconFour Newbie

Postby FalconFour » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:38 am

OK, pardon the double post, but so far I've:

- hunted down a copy of Splinter Cell from someone on Craigslist that's literally 60 miles from home... and picked it up (as well as Crimson Skies - woo, bonus?) for $10
- torn apart my controller and added a USB port in place of a memory card socket - and blew out a USB drive because the cable I used had red as "USB D-" and blue as "+5V DC", so I obviously reversed them and smoked a 1gb USB drive before reversing it and it worked, erased my second 1GB drive, and seems to work
- fought through Xplorer 360 to add files to the newly formatted USB drive - but the Xbox doesn't detect any saves on the drive when I plug it back in...

So I've already fought through all this, instead of a simple modchip install as I'd done before - where are the advantages to this method, again? And I'm still no closer to getting the flash done. Next up, I'm going to pick up a MicroSD-USB adapter and a 1gb card from work and give that a try.

Really not seeing the advantages here so far. :?

FalconFour Newbie

Postby Rocky5 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:50 am

FalconFour wrote:OK, pardon the double post, but so far I've:

- hunted down a copy of Splinter Cell from someone on Craigslist that's literally 60 miles from home... and picked it up (as well as Crimson Skies - woo, bonus?) for $10
- torn apart my controller and added a USB port in place of a memory card socket - and blew out a USB drive because the cable I used had red as "USB D-" and blue as "+5V DC", so I obviously reversed them and smoked a 1gb USB drive before reversing it and it worked, erased my second 1GB drive, and seems to work
- fought through Xplorer 360 to add files to the newly formatted USB drive - but the Xbox doesn't detect any saves on the drive when I plug it back in...

So I've already fought through all this, instead of a simple modchip install as I'd done before - where are the advantages to this method, again? And I'm still no closer to getting the flash done. Next up, I'm going to pick up a MicroSD-USB adapter and a 1gb card from work and give that a try.

Really not seeing the advantages here so far. :?

There should be no UDATA folder on a memory card (USB PEN) also the benefits are only really for softmod users, chips take a few more mins to install and no games are required for them to function.

Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby FalconFour » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:43 am

Got it. :D Sorry, I'd kinda littered my experience over a couple relevant threads. So far, my trouble stemmed from a problem with Xplorer360 not handling my USB drive correctly - sort-of creating its own filesystem that was not the same FS that the Xbox was reading/writing. So, I could write files that the Xbox couldn't see, and the Xbox wrote files that Xplorer360 didn't see, on the same drive.

In the end, I just used a different, generic 2GB Flash drive, and it worked perfectly start to end. Xbox saw it, Xplorer saw the savegame I wrote to it, Xbox saw the savegame that Xplorer wrote to it, and the mod went through OK.

It was then basically a breeze to finish the TSOP flash (I have the ST chip) - though still a little confusing to select the "right" BIOS - 512k? 256k? Which version? F and G or just F? I ended up picking Ind-Bios 256k with F only (I don't plan on using a very large hard drive).

Me and my Xbox thanks this forum and website for keeping all its links alive - with all the internet link-rot, it's a miracle some of these old tools are still accessible! THANKS! :lovetiz:

FalconFour Newbie

Postby KrypticNL » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:16 pm

Great Post!! i'm am interested in testing games

MY 1.4Ghz + 128Mb v1.1 in my custom crystal case.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/q3-2hfzzeIM[/youtube]
KrypticNL 2

Custom Title: The Rock Of The Rock

Postby cinek193 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:17 pm

Hello. I have I have a question. I have Xbox ver 1.0 with St Tsop. And now that I have to use Bios size 1 Mb? Can I use a smaller, for example, 256 kB or 512? One more thing which bios is best to use? I was thinking of Evox but before that I had contact only with softmodem of Evox dashboard.

cinek193 2

Postby thewheelman282 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:52 pm

cinek193 wrote:Hello. I have I have a question. I have Xbox ver 1.0 with St Tsop. And now that I have to use Bios size 1 Mb? Can I use a smaller, for example, 256 kB or 512? One more thing which bios is best to use? I was thinking of Evox but before that I had contact only with softmodem of Evox dashboard.

you can use a smaller BIOS if you want to. I like to use X2 5035 or Ind BIOS 5003 because they both have config files for the boot animation on the HDD that are easy to customize. other wise they are all about the same

>Helpful Tutorials<
How to use XboxHDM

thewheelman282 9

Postby cinek193 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:22 pm

Hello. I have already downloaded X5035 and now the question. I have two files:
x2_5035_v16plus_512k
x2_5035_vOld_512k
If I understand this I should use the version marked "old".
And now my question. The bios is ready to use or I have to use the X2 BIOS Manager to create bios size of 1 Mb?

cinek193 2

Postby catch_2030 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Download Hexen 2017 and let it do the work for you.

"Spoon feeding in the long run teaches us nothing but the shape of the spoon."
~E.M. Forster~

TIZ Legal Notice

Please report requests that have been filled!
catch_2030 Moderator

Custom Title: Can't stump the Trump!

Postby cinek193 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:52 am

Hello. I have a problem because something went wrong. On the back of the motherboard connection it came out very well. Unfortunately, at the front, I could not connect, and this only hurt the two places soldering. Exactly it is seen as tin is melted and did not make the connection. paths are intact. I question whether I can use graphite to combine these two points? I have done so sometime in the case of interrupted paths in the PC.

cinek193 2

Postby CheetyPants » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:11 pm

Yeah, There's No Video at all, But I do appreciate this, I was wondering what the purpose of the TSOP was

CheetyPants Newbie

Postby CheetyPants » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:11 am

thewheelman282 wrote:For those interested in TSOP flashing for the first time, take some time to watch my 2 videos where i explain everything so you have a good understanding going in

Thank you so much!!!

CheetyPants Newbie

Postby eurogamer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:42 am

Hi @all - i'm right after the TSOP. The problem i have is my box won't read burned dvd-r at all.

I was able to override the bios with "Rockys Tsop installer application" which i installed on "E:" - but now, if i want to upgrade to a bigger hdd... i'm told to use "HeXen" or "Slayer" on burned disc (again) and of course, that's not an option for my stubborn xbox.

By research i came across Rocky's version of Chimp which can be installed as well to "E:" so my question:

Can i manage to install a bigger (sata + adapter) hdd if i use the program "Chimp" on "E"?

( ...and is it complicated?)

eurogamer Newbie

Postby HeX4 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:11 pm

Original creator here, i will redo this guide if i can contact a moderator and they can insert the appropriate modifications.

Thank you for reading it, and i hope it served you well.

Main computer.
Intel Xeon E5640, 8GB Kingston 1600, ASUS P6X58D-E, AMD R9 Fury.

Console systems.
Playstation 2 Slim with FMCB.
Playstation 3 CECHC03 Rebug 4.82 2000GB
XBOX v1.2/3 EvoX M8+ TSOP 500GB SATA
XBOX v1.4 iND-Bios 5003.67 TSOP 300GB
XBOX v1.4 x2.4981.67 TSOP 8GB
XBOX 360 S Trinity V5 320GB
N64
HeX4 4

Custom Title: XBOX Guru PC aficionado

Previous

Return to System Modding