Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

difficult time

System Mods, Hard Mods and Soft Mods - Discuss them here.

difficult time

Postby smuddge » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:08 pm

ok i have been working on an xbox that i got from someone for about 5 hours and I am not closer to fixing it then when i started.

here is the current situation.

xbox error 16. was softmoded and someone screwed up the softmod.
have an intel motherboard with only 1 ide port.
have been working on hotswap to no avail
worked with xboxhdm2.2a to try and use usb instead of a sata dvd rom drive.
i have the eeprom.bin file from the xbox (got it hotswap with xplorer360 in windows oddly enough)

so what i want to do is rebuild this stupid hard drive or any stupid hard drive back to factory so the thing boots to the ms dashboard.

I cannot get anything to work for me and I don't know why.

with xboxhdm 1.9 i get a ton of message about can't find cd rom
with xboxhdm 2.2a it says nothing found on hda when i start it.
I cannot for the life of me figure out what to do.

I just want to either wipe this drive and put it back to stock so it boots or stick in another drive and set it up as stock so I can boot it to ms dash again I have the eeprom.bin or harddrive keys etc...

any suggestions would be great.

smuddge 2

Re: difficult time

Postby skullz613 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Have you changed the jumper so it's on Master and not Cable Select?
Also make sure the hard drive your working on is the only hard drive attached to the PC.

Consoles:
Spoiler:
Xbox v1.6 - DuoX2, 250+200GB HDD (See my MOD) Internal Removable HDD Bay
Xbox Halo SE v1.4 - TSOP
Xbox v1.6b - Soft-modded
Xbox 360 - Jasper, 120GB HD
Xbox 360 Slim - Stock
PS1 - Chipped (x2)
PSOne - Stock (x2)
PS2 Slim - FMCB (x3) (One sensor blocked)
Wii - RVL-001 (x2)
N64

Before posting read the Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines
Before uploading read Theisozone Upload Rules
Also make sure you read the New Content Guidelines
Spread TIZ love!Image
skullz613 6

Custom Title: Old Fart

Postby smuddge » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:59 pm

yes only 1 hard drive attached jumper set to master on either drive i use. is there a windows utility to rebuild a drive and lock it? i have lots of spare drives around. i have a few that are lockable so i just want to wipe and make a new drive then lock it

smuddge 2

Postby smuddge » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:17 pm

for sure my problem is bios related.
guess its either find another xbox and make a new drive with it or find an older pc that can handle ide controllers in a default way.
btw i set it on native and it still will not find any devices with either the usb or the cd rom.
mind you I can boot from a cd but having the hard drive on the same cable set as master with cdrom set as slave doesn't work for this terrible bios.

serves me right for screwing with an old xbox in this day and age i guess.
i wonder if a pci ide controller card would work?? anyone have any experience with xboxhd and controller cards"?

smuddge 2

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:55 am

I'm fairly sure what you need to use is XboxHDM23 USB Beta 2 that will allow you to build a new HDD with it in an external USB housing.

http://theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=61434

I've still not used it myself so I'd wait for somebody here who can give specific advice.

TBH using a second softmodded Xbox is likely easier. With Rocky5's Chimp 261812 you can clone its HDD and then lock it instead with the imported eeprom from the error 16 Xbox.

If you also use Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tools to do that second Xbox softmod, apart from its other advantages, I believe I'm correct in saying it bypasses the clock check so you shouldn't get an error 16 again.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby kaos_engr » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:22 am

XboxHDM2.3USB beta 3 will work with drives connected to a PC with a USB to IDE or SATA adapter. Allows those without a PC with IDE interface or laptop to access their Xbox HDD. (I'm not sure this version can fix Error 16 as its configured to install softmod setup files to C drive not a complete stock Xbox dashboard.) [I've not used beta 3 but have beta 2 shown below and a PC with an IDE interface.]

Copy the extracted contents of the XboxHDM archive to a flash drive. Place the eeprom.bin (all lowercase filename) where the xboxhd.bat file is on the USB thumb drive. Start the software by running the batch file.

For the XboxHDM2.3USB beta 2 release, there's an archive on TiZ of the Clean C & E drive contents for Xbox dashboard 1.00.5960.01. Add the files from the C drive to XboxHDM2.3USB beta 2's hdm\c folder and E drive to hdm\e. Place the eeprom.bin (remember all lower case filename required) in the subdir where the xboxhd.bat file is located. Start XboxHDM via the batch file. I don't think this release can access the HDD connected via USB to IDE/SATA adapter if requires an IDE connection to the Xbox HDD. The EEPROM backup (eeprom.bin) is used to unlock the drive to access it (no hot-swap required) and lock it before exiting. (Although, I don't think the lock is needed; as I've used XboxHDM2.3USB beta 2 before and it only uses the eeprom.bin contents to unlock the drive to gain access not to remove the password as other unlocking programs do.)

If you'd already gained access with Xplorer360 to the C drive (partition), copy the contents of the Clean C and E files for Xbox archive to the hot-swapped HDD.

P.S. Upgrade your softmod to one that doesn't get jammed up by losing the date/time. Recommend Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool. Test Build 1.1.2 is the latest WIP. Worked well 4 me! :)

Quick Upgrade.zip is really all you need to upgrade your older softmod once this Error 16 situation is resolved. Or, use the more robust Extras Disc to upgrade via its menu options. Burn the ISO image to DVD-R disc, boot it, and follow the on-screen menus.

kaos_engr 6

Postby kaos_engr » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:44 am

The statement "Although, I don't think the lock is needed" above is only for a previously locked Xbox HDD. The unlock operation performed with XboxHDM does not remove the password just unlocks the HDD to gain access to it for read/write operations. Once the HDD is powered off, the lock is still in place at next power on.

However, if you are using a new unlocked HDD, you will need to lock it before installing into an Xbox. Locked with the eeprom.bin for the Xbox it will be install in to compute the correct locking password. This seldom used IDE security feature of locking the drive is a requirement to run the stock Xbox dashboard -- if not locked, error 05.

kaos_engr 6

Postby 6gunn » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:36 pm

Whew!
There's more useful information here than an entire year of news blurbs!
I LOVE this place!

6gunn 6

Custom Title: catwacker

Postby smuddge » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:09 am

Ok so here is what's happening now....

Got a PC that works properly with a single ide channel.
I used xboxhd v1.9. Hotswapped. Have full access. Rebuild drive from scratch. Used the clean c & e files. Put everything back together after I was done and I still get error 16.....
I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Borrowed another softmod Xbox also. Next tried chimp rocky5s version with hotswap. During hotswap changed jumper on error drive to slave hit detect in chimp and it started Linux then hung with error about dma. Tried it again with both drives set to cable select. Still hangs. Verified it was working ok but not connecting the slave drive and it booted to chimp fine.

So at this point I decided to copy contents of the working softmodded c drive via ftp to my computer move them into c drive on the error drive with xboxhd. Still error 16.

Tried to boot off any disks I had also. Hexen shows Ms Xbox logo shows Linux under the Xbox logo and then the eject light flashes but just sits on this screen. Everything else I try and boot just goes to error 16.

I was thinking perhaps there is some sort of mismatch or someone flashed the tsop on this before I got it with something that can't get past this error.... I'm really at a loss here.

Any ideas of what else I can try?
Thanks for the previous suggestions.

smuddge 2

Postby Rocky5 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:25 am

smuddge wrote:Ok so here is what's happening now....

Got a PC that works properly with a single ide channel.
I used xboxhd v1.9. Hotswapped. Have full access. Rebuild drive from scratch. Used the clean c & e files. Put everything back together after I was done and I still get error 16.....
I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Borrowed another softmod Xbox also. Next tried chimp rocky5s version with hotswap. During hotswap changed jumper on error drive to slave hit detect in chimp and it started Linux then hung with error about dma. Tried it again with both drives set to cable select. Still hangs. Verified it was working ok but not connecting the slave drive and it booted to chimp fine.

So at this point I decided to copy contents of the working softmodded c drive via ftp to my computer move them into c drive on the error drive with xboxhd. Still error 16.

Tried to boot off any disks I had also. Hexen shows Ms Xbox logo shows Linux under the Xbox logo and then the eject light flashes but just sits on this screen. Everything else I try and boot just goes to error 16.

I was thinking perhaps there is some sort of mismatch or someone flashed the tsop on this before I got it with something that can't get past this error.... I'm really at a loss here.

Any ideas of what else I can try?
Thanks for the previous suggestions.

If you have a custom logo under the Xlogo it’s chipped or TSOPPED.

Put a clean version of the MSDash on C, that’s all you need to fix error16.

Also when using Chimp you swap the drive before booting into Chimp ( Chimp isn’t the loader screen ) the Linux distro doesn’t support hotswapping so changing stuff after it’s booted does bugger all.

Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:17 pm

It certainly would have helped to have known it was a chipped or TSOPed machine.

I don't think smuddge knows that will or at least should make things far easier to fix than he thought. It will cold boot any rescue/installer disc. If it doesn't then there is some other problem. No need for XBHDM or even the second Xbox.

What has happened is there is no dash. With no dash the clock can't be set, eventual result if the thing has been powered off for some time: error 16.

Repeat: cold boot HeXEn or AID (DVD-R burned with ImgBurn) and follow the instructions for installing a modchip dashboard like UnleashX. Using the AID One-Click install is the easiest thing if you don't know what you're doing.

Both discs do take a long time to load (HeXen 30+ secs, AID 45+ secs) and ignore the front LED colour with either. HeXEn is usually set up to display continuous red, presumably to warn you you're you're using powerful tool. However the creator/compiler's default can be set to display any LED colour/flashing combo or no colour. Don't panic if its not green.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby smuddge » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:27 pm

the linux logo only shows up when the hexen disk is in the drive. its not chipped. could be tsopped i have no idea. that is what i believe is causing my issues. if its tsopped would it be lookimg for default ms dash or some other dashboard?
as for clean msdash i did try that and i still get error 16

i will try chimp again. i am connecting the drive on the screen that says scan for drives. i will try connecting in the dash before loading it and see.

smuddge 2

Postby smuddge » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:30 pm

i let both hexen and autoinstaller sit in drive for 10mins never leave the xbox screen with hexen except shows linux under xbox logo. auto installer give error 16 about 30 seconds after xbox logo and it says microsoft under logo

smuddge 2

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:29 pm

That's what should happen up to that point ie. with HeXEn you'll get the Linux logo under the Xbox one after about 25secs but then the disc drive should be heard working and the HeXEn GUI appears.

If it is sticking at that then it suggests the disc is being recognised but not booting. Further evidence too that it IS chipped or TSOPed. A softmod would most likely hang on a blank screen or just boot to the dash.

If the read problem is true for both HeXEn, the autoinstaller and any other burned discs then there is something else going on.

Dirty disc drive or weak laser perhaps; I've had Xbox disc drives that would read original game discs fine but not anything burned myself. Cleaning the lens fixed the problem for me but there's no guarantee that will help here.

Assuming it works OK you could swap in the disc drive from the other Xbox if you're happy to open up both. If the second one's disc drives works in the error machine then the cause of the problem and the problem itself would be solved.

Otherwise: was the disc burned to DVD-R with ImgBurn using "Write image file to disc" option?
It must be DVD-R - that is the only media type compatible across all the disc drives the Xbox uses.

Did you use this latest version of HeXen? I know from personal experience this burns and boots perfectly?

Last edited by HisDivineShadow on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HisDivineShadow 9

Postby smuddge » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:43 pm

ok so i followed rocky5 and swapped before selecting chimp. main drive set as master and broken one as slave.
chimp will not load it just freezes on evolution x logo for a while then gives me error 21 after a while
both set to cable select
chimp will not load it just freezes on evolution x logo for a while then gives me error 21 after a while
working set to master broken set to cable select.

@HisDivineShadow it is definately not chipped could be tsopped. no idea

just a little background on me so we can rule out some issue quickly. I am a electronics repair tech. started as a software developer then to network admin and now work from home fixing tvs and all other electronics. I have a good handle on electronics and am willing to try anything.

as for other dvd drive from the other xboxes, they all do the exact same thing. i have 3 xboxes here now. tried all 3 dvd drives. one in broken xbox is phillips other 2 are samsung. the 2 samsungs both read the hexen disk properly by themselves so i know the drives are functioning.

i can't believe everything i have tried still ends the same way....

trying latest hexen that you suggested now. see if that might help. not very hopeful though.....

smuddge 2

Postby Rocky5 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:54 pm

Chimp 261812 use that one.

Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby smuddge » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:59 pm

thats the one i used.

smuddge 2

Postby smuddge » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:26 pm

ok good news and bad news.
first good news" the hexen 2017 disk booted up.
bad news: i then followed the instructions to redo the softmod. it goes through everything as expected says it needs to back up eeprom so it then does the backup of the eeprom tells me to remove hexen disk and restart the system. I do that it boots up shows ms logo then fan goes fast and the screen stays black. no error nothing at all.....

smuddge 2

Postby smuddge » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:28 pm

hexen boots to black screen now also....
i seriously want to toss this thing.

smuddge 2

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Philips is the worst disc drive for compatibility, it won't read almost anything other than DVD-R. But in this case if the other disc drives, fitted in the error Xbox, all do the same thing then, obviously, that's not the problem.

Next thing to try is surely swapping out the HDD. A new or empty HDD + installer disc should be tried. If it does not then I think we're back to your original guess about it being a BIOS issue. A bad TSOP flash perhaps. If so way outside my knowledge about how to fix.

RE: new info ^

Sounds serious. The fan speeding up is not unexpected though. For some reason HeXEn is set to a default temperature of 50C. If the ambient level is high-ish (25+C), particularly if it is a v1.6 Xbox, UnleashX will report CPU/MB temperatures above 50C and the fan will speed up very audibly.

HisDivineShadow 9

Next

Return to System Modding