Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

!HELP! Updated Softmodded XBOX now boots ms dash

System Mods, Hard Mods and Soft Mods - Discuss them here.

!HELP! Updated Softmodded XBOX now boots ms dash

Postby zPrimZy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:57 pm

I launched a dvd with a game on it and when it loaded the XBE it said updating console do not turn off now it boots to MS DASH. I launched Splintercell and launched S.I.D 5.11 Final. From here do I install Singleboot softmod or restore C:\ Backup or MS backup? An will it keep all my games apps emulators and saves?

zPrimZy 2

Re: !HELP! Updated Softmodded XBOX now boots ms dash

Postby zPrimZy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:58 am

FIXED just hit on install softmod. It kept my games saves music apps e,us just reset UnleashX Settings.

zPrimZy 2

Postby MisterXiado » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:18 am

Glad it turned out alright. I'm on the opposite side of the mountain. My only original Xbox controller is a Pelican pad I like because black and white are on the shoulders, like a prototype 360 controller, but CHIMP hates 3rd party controllers, and I couldn't be bothered to suss out the terminal commands to manually perform the drive scan process.

The Homepage of the Oldternet - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
MisterXiado 3

Postby damotheking » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:48 am

nice work backup the eeprom jst in case?
are you going to tsop

Spoiler:

damotheking 8

Postby zPrimZy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:14 am

Its been backed up and idek whaat TSOP is

zPrimZy 2

Postby Aleph » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:37 am

TSOP is the name of the BIOS that is on the orignal Xbox.

Dell Laptops without Windows:
http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/cat ... nements=21
HP desktops and laptops without windows: select customize and buy, then select FreeDos:
Desktops:
http://store.hp.com/us/en/vwa/desktops/ ... form=Tower
Laptops:
http://store.hp.com/us/en/vwa/Laptops/o ... ard-laptop
Aleph 2

Custom Title: Linux 4 Life

Postby kaos_engr » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:26 am

There are two EEPROMs on the Xbox motherboard. One an 8-pin serial 256 byte EEPROM holding system configuration information. The other is a Thin Small Outline Package (TSOP) 256KB (Xbox v1.2-1.5) or 1MB (Xbox v1.0-1.1) EEPROM that holds the BIOS.

To differentiate between the two, the smaller of the two became known as the EEPROM. The larger EEPROM chip that contains the Xbox's Kernel/BIOS became known as the TSOP for its package type.

On v1.6 Xboxes, Microsoft moved the BIOS storage into the Xyclops chip; however, it is implemented as a ROM (read-only memory) device and cannot be reprogrammed to update the Xbox's BIOS as earlier versions allowed with a bit of soldering.

Jumpering a couple of points with solder on the Xbox motherboard enabled the write operation to the 256KB or 1MB TSOP EEPROM. Thus, the operation of modding an Xbox in this way is known as TSOP'ing. (TSOP'd the Xbox.)

kaos_engr 6

Postby zPrimZy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:55 am

Yeah I don't have mod chips or ram upgrades or none of that just hdd upgrade. That's about it I might buy a mod ship later in the future but I don't even know how to solder either I have the flux solder and soldering iron but don't really know how to use that stuff yet. If I add one then ill also RGH my 360 later on too.

zPrimZy 2

Postby erik1977 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:06 am

I've been interested in modding a 360 at some point too. But I think i'd get a used one and try it on that first in case I screw it up. :D

Systems I currently own:

Spoiler:
Playstation (modchip)
Xbox 360 slim
PS3 slim

Gaming PCs:

Windows 7 64 bit desktop (Athlon II X2 250 3ghz, 2gb ram, Radeon x1650 512mb, 128gb SSD)
Windows XP 32 bit desktop (Athlon XP 2800+ 2.1ghz, Abit NF7-S, 2gb ram, Radeon X800GTO 256mb, 2x 500gb HDD)
Windows 98SE desktop (Slot 1 Pentium 3 550mhz, Asus P3B-F, 320mb ram, Geforce TI4200 128mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 12mb, 2x 40gb HDD)
Windows 95 desktop (Pentium 133mhz, Asus P/I-P55TP4XE, 40mb ram, Matrox Mystique 4mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 8mb, 10gb HDD)
DOS 6.22 laptop (486DX2 50mhz, 8mb ram, 350mb HDD)
erik1977 6

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:16 pm

Good to read that just re-installing the SID softmod worked. So often you hear people trying that and it fails. Never been quite sure why but having correctly named and working stuff E:\Backups maybe the answer.

Of course, as has been said here many times: if the softmod was a protected one like Rocky5's, HeXEn or indeed the SID/AID Virtual C + Eeprom option the dash updating wouldn't have mattered as on reboot the original would have replaced it.

Many games include dash and game update XBEs which are usually triggered by being online and attempting to access Xbox Live. If you're playing/installing from an original disc disconnect the Xbox from the internet and that should prevent mistakes. Of course don't click on either XBE in your file explorer either or they'll launch and do the same thing.

So, offline, use DVD2Xbox to install it and afterwards, carefully, delete those files via a file explorer. Alternatively download the ISO or game files from here and strip out the updaters, if not already done by the uploader, before transferring to the Xbox.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby MisterXiado » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:06 pm

An easy solution might just be to use your router's parental control features, and block internet access to the Xbox. Only a problem if you actually play games online through XLink Kai or some other LAN tunneling/XBL solution.

The Homepage of the Oldternet - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
MisterXiado 3

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:37 pm

Good idea but those particularl problems were why I suggested 1). using a protected softmod and 2). installing the game to the HDD and stripping out the updaters or 3). stripping out the updaters on PC and creating an updater free IS0/disc.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Rocky5 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:15 pm

Actually all softmods bar mine are susceptible to the live dash update. Especially if they use stock 5960 dash file on the unprotected C partition.

No one thought of using the header of the 5960 xonlinedash.xbe file to fool the updater.
Also with v1.1.2 you cannot boot into an unsoftmodded state.

Discs like hexen bypass this as they replace the kernel in memory with a different kernel BFM bios, nothing I can do about this other that tell folk to not use them, they also just replace the hole softmod on C if you use them to change stuff. Daft way of doing it but it means everything is compatible with the disc.

Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby zPrimZy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:56 pm

I always FTP games to my hdd. An the disc I put in was the "ROBOTS" movie DVD cause it has a xbox game on it. The game was a racing game an when I first launched the XBE it updated dash. Then I launched it after I reinstalled UnleashX and it's fine now. Dont know why it did that before and the second time it didn't update so if you guys know why it did do that please pot it down below.

zPrimZy 2

Postby Rocky5 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:09 pm

The only way this can happen on a modern softmods is if the shadowc partition was disabled and that’s as easy as loading an original disc from a cold boot ( mine prevents this now though ) so for it to update your dashboard and remove the NDURE exploit you must have been in an unprotected state. ( Turned the Xbox on with the disc in the drawer )

You know you’re unprotected when the LED is green.

Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby zPrimZy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:21 pm

Lets just say I want to instal XBMC threw the installer while unleashX is already on the console. Will that damage anything or should that work?

zPrimZy 2

Return to System Modding