Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Xbox SoftMod 2Tb Drive not being detected with chimp

System Mods, Hard Mods and Soft Mods - Discuss them here.

Xbox SoftMod 2Tb Drive not being detected with chimp

Postby Berzerk » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:46 am

This is kind of my first time doing the SATA Drive SoftMod. When I try to do the Chimp method the SATA Drive is not being detected I am using a Western digital black drive and this bridge.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/3171 ... idge_Board

In the forums some one stated it works but I am having no luck with it could it be the stock cables do I need to get high speed cables or could it be the bridge? I am also having a issue now with the power button not wanting to turn the system on or off the drawer button turns it on or off now and does not eject the tray. Should I try using XboxHDM v1.9?

Berzerk 4

Custom Title: No matter where you go there you are.

Re: Xbox SoftMod 2Tb Drive not being detected with chimp

Postby Spiny57 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:04 am

this happened to me too! for some reason

Gamercards
Spoiler:

My Consoles
Spoiler:
Xbox Softmodded 1.2
Wii Softmodded white with gamecube ports
wii u hacked with haxchi and vwii hacked with gamecube usb controller adapter
psp 1000 cfw cipl flashed
psp 3000 cfw davee's permanent patch
ps2 75001 with fmcb
3ds new xl cfw 11.2.0.35 arm9 safehax

My Uploads:http://www.theisozone.com/user-uploads/Spiny57/
Spiny57 2

Custom Title: Homebrew Expert

Postby NerdyBreeze » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:18 am

look for Rocky5 on here he has the best mods for them there is a rock5 2017 disk works well will fix it,

Spoiler:
Breeze..
systems i own . xbox one . Xbox soft modded and one none modded . Xbox 360 finger print magnet :P . 7 ps1 . 3 ps2 slim and fat. ps3. psp soft modded .Sega Saturn. Atari jaguar. 2 game cube.2 super nes . nes . 4 Sega genesis. game gear . Sega 32x. 3do. Atari and Atari jaguar .4 wii's. Nintendo 64. 3 Sega dream cast. 5 Gameboy colors and 3 advance models more then I need really but collection games is an addiction : ) for me anyways! {PLEASE READ THE sites rules below} http://theisozone.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=104
NerdyBreeze 5

Custom Title: Brezzythedorkish

Postby Rocky5 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:15 am

I can’t say about that adaptor but you will need a 80 wire IDE cable. Also use Chimp 261812.

Now for your hardware issues check and make sure the clock cap hasn’t leaked as what you describe sounds a lot like trace damage.

Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby oldxbox75 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:58 am

I have had adapters like that.
Being honest here I always seemed to run into issues with them.
I would First Take advice from Rocky5
If it still fails to detect and setup the Hard Disk
I would look at getting an alternate adapter and setting up drive via PC network.!

oldxbox75 6

Postby kaos_engr » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:17 am

Berzerk wrote:This is kind of my first time doing the SATA Drive SoftMod. When I try to do the Chimp method the SATA Drive is not being detected I am using a Western digital black drive and this bridge.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/3171 ... idge_Board

In the forums some one stated it works but I am having no luck with it could it be the stock cables do I need to get high speed cables or could it be the bridge? I am also having a issue now with the power button not wanting to turn the system on or off the drawer button turns it on or off now and does not eject the tray. Should I try using XboxHDM v1.9?

Here's the problem -- the KingWin ADP-06 adapter works only as a MASTER device on the IDE bus and cannot be used with Chimp to clone the HDD. Chimp cloning requires the new HDD to be a SLAVE device hot swapped in place of the DVD drive.

KingWin's General FAQs states that the adapter can be in a dual SATA config as a SLAVE device. Makes no sense as SATA is a single device per cable. I've not seen 2 drives connected to the same SATA port. No jumper exists on a SATA drive to change IDE to SLAVE -- two different busses. The jumper they mention on the SATA drive does not do what they say has to do with autosetting the SATA bus speed. Tried helping someone online for HOURS and it never worked! Configured new HDD with the basic Xbox C and E partitions (MS dashboard 5960 installed) using XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 and all worked once swapping the new and old HDDs.

You can use the latest XboxHDM23USB Beta 3 or older versions of XboxHDM to build an Xbox HDD and lock it. Locking requires eeprom.bin backup added to the subdir where xboxhd.bat is stored. EEPROM.bin backup obtained after first softmodding the stock/current HDD and downloading a copy of the EEPROM backup file (rename to all lower-case required).

XboxHDM23USB allows the new HDD to be attached to your PC via its IDE interface or a USB-to-IDE or SATA adapter if your PC has no native IDE interface. XboxHDM1.9 requires the PC to have an IDE interface.

For a hard modded Xbox (modchip or TSOP flashed), the KingWin adapter works to install a new larger HDD in place of the stock/current HDD. Maximum size allowed is 2TB.

You need an IDE-to-SATA adapter that has at least MASTER/SLAVE jumpers and some even support CS (Cable Select) too. (HDE 2 Pack IDE-to-SATA adapters or the more expensive StarTech IDE2SAT2)

kaos_engr 6

Postby kaos_engr » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:34 pm

Berzerk wrote:...
I am also having a issue now with the power button not wanting to turn the system on or off the drawer button turns it on or off now and does not eject the tray.

Sounds like the clock cap has leaked and needs to be removed and trace corrosion caused by the leaked electrolyte damaged the power signal line running from the front panel connection to the System management controller (SMC) PIC processor.

There are four very thin traces that run along the outer edge of the motherboard on the under side of the PCB. Two of these traces carry the power and eject button closure status. When damaged, phantom power on, power on only works when pressing the Eject button and/or the inability to turn the Xbox off via the power button occur. Repairing the trace(s) fixes the problem.

Trace Corrosion Repair Tutorial

Clean the leaked electrolyte off the printed circuit board to prevent further damage and remove the bad capacitor - an AeroGel brand 1F 2.5Vdc super capacitor. Location on the motherboard is nearly the same for the clock cap even though other components around it changes between different v1.0-v1.5 motherboards. (V1.0-1.1 - C7G9/C7G10, V1.2-1.5 - C7G2/C7G3 silk-screened part number on the motherboard)

V1.6 Xbox's don't require removing the clock capacitor, yet, as MS changed super cap brands and the new brand super caps have yet to leak. However, other capacitors on the v1.6 motherboard near the power supply connector seem to go bad instead.

kaos_engr 6

Postby kaos_engr » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:13 pm

What does the KingWin board say next to the 3 pin jumper?

Wish KingWin told you how to configure the board. All I see on a picture of one is DEVICE1 and another version the jumper has moved where I make out A-B for IDE to SATA and C-A for SATA to IDE. Nothing about device select MASTER or SLAVE.

ADP_06_Corner with Jumper.jpg

ADP_06_Corner_317195_376152_02_back.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kaos_engr 6

Postby Berzerk » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:05 pm

I will look into the solutions. If none works this bridge is going back. I have the jumper set to A-B. May take some time to get to today have some other things I have to do. But I will try everything out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Berzerk 4

Postby kaos_engr » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:09 pm

Berzerk wrote:I will look into the solutions. If none works this bridge is going back. I have the jumper set to A-B. May take some time to get to today have some other things I have to do. But I will try everything out. Thanks for the suggestions.

The adapter will work on the Xbox just not with Chimp for cloning the original HDD to the new one.

The HDD has to be prepared. EEPROM.bin added to the extracted content as eeprom.bin. Start xboxhd.bat and follow XboxHDM23USB Beta 3's menu options to install everything necessary to the new HDD for softmodding. I don't even think you need an original game. Make sure you remember to lock the HDD. Swap out the old for the new HDD with the adapter. Boot the Xbox from the newly prepared locked HDD. And IIRC, it starts up ready for you to press (A) to continue with the installation of Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool.

I've not used this particular version of XboxHDM to be 100% sure. It may require one of the exploitable game's original disk, not a backup copy to load the softmod game save.

kaos_engr 6

Postby Berzerk » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:55 am

So I stripped it down and cleaned again put it all back together and now the power switch works fine got me on this one. It is a older board. I noticed that there is a chip that plugs in straight up that is not in any other Xbox’s I have if this was loose would that have caused the problem. Now on to tackle the hard drive.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Berzerk 4

Postby kaos_engr » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:01 am

Berzerk wrote:So I stripped it down and cleaned again put it all back together and now the power switch works fine got me on this one. It is a older board. I noticed that there is a chip that plugs in straight up that is not in any other Xbox’s I have if this was loose would that have caused the problem. Now on to tackle the hard drive.

Not sure, don't think a loose daughter board would cause a power on problem. The controller ports associated with a loose board may not work.

The bad clock cap on v1.0-1.5 causes a lot of problems for the aging Xbox.

Glad you were able to get the Xbox power button functioning again. Still looks like there's some foreign residue near the mounting hole in the image you attached. Is that a before or after cleaning pic? Now, onto the HDD, good luck and have success with it too.

V1.0's Two Controller Port Daughterboards
The two daughter boards that plug vertically into the motherboard contain a portion of the electronic components for the 4 USB controller ports - 2 ports for each daughter board. Later revisions of the Xbox motherboard moved those components or equivalent circuitry onto the main board.

kaos_engr 6

Postby Berzerk » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:20 am

Now when using Xboxxhdm23usb you said to rename all to lower case everything in the backup folder?

Berzerk 4

Postby kaos_engr » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:21 am

You only need the EEPROM.bin file. Rename it to eeprom.bin and copy it into the subdir where XboxHDM23USB's, xboxhd.bat, startup batch file is located.

The EEPROM.bin backup file contains the unique HDKey used to generate the locking password for the Xbox the HDD will be installed in.

Connect the new drive to the PC and make sure the PC can locate the new Xbox HDD - menu item 1. If found, launch xboxhdm, menu item 2, to prepare the HDD for installation in the Xbox. Once prep completes, exit back to the main menu and lock the HDD with menu item 3.

Optional, check lock status - menu item 5.

Enter to exit.

Disconnect new Xbox HDD from PC. (If the HDD is connected via IDE interface, first shutdown the PC.)

Install new HDD in Xbox and boot.

kaos_engr 6

Postby Berzerk » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:38 am

The eeprom was already in lower case so now witch option do I need to choose?

Berzerk 4

Postby Berzerk » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:48 am

Do I choose Build a new Xbox HD?

Berzerk 4

Postby Berzerk » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:17 am

How long does the process usually take on a 2Tb HDD seems like it is crawling. Good thing the Xbox has been on for an hour or longer still no more issues with the power button been testing it every so often.

Berzerk 4

Postby kaos_engr » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:29 am

My installed version of XboxHDM23USB Beta 3 first shows a splash screen then a menu with 5 items.

XboxHDM23USB_Beta_3_SplashScreen.JPG

XboxHDM23USB_Beta_3_Menu.JPG

Are the screens you've shown displayed after selecting menu item 2 - launch xboxhdm?

As I don't have a new HDD to try option 2, I don't know what appears once xboxhdm is launched with this version, beta 3.

You'll build a new HDD, format the extended partitions, lock the HDD and exit.

kaos_engr 6

Postby Berzerk » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:45 am

I chose the option build new HDD it is going through this stuf right now it is just taking forever. I am figuring due to the size of the HDD. Keeping my fingers crossed this all works. I went ahead and purchased the StarTech bridge so if this bridge does not pan out I have the other on the way I still have another Xbox that I want a 2Tb Drive in so the StarTech bridge will still get used if it is not needed for this one.

Berzerk 4

Postby kaos_engr » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:59 am

Looks like it's working:

Not sure why Linux partition names and Xbox partition numbers are so out of sync in their naming convention. Why part50 for partition 1? Why not part01 for partition 1? Although a lot of Linux/C programming array offsets start with 0 for the first element, why 50 not 0?

Linux
PartName - Drive Letter - Size (in bytes) - Cluster Size (in bytes) - Xbox Partition Number - Use
======================================================================================
part50 – E: - 5,120,024,576 - 16,384 - 1 - Game Saves, Ripped Music [WMA] (DATA)
part51 – C: - 524,288,000 - 16,384 - 2 - System Software (DASHBOARD)
part52 – X: - 786,432,000 - 16,384 - 3 - Game data cache 1
part53 – Y: - 786,432,000 - 16,384 - 4 - Game data cache 2
part54 – Z: - 786,432,000 - 16,384 - 5 - Game data cache 3
(would be nice if one could create tables in messages!)

For software development, partition access is performed via the device name of a particular hard drive partition: \Device\Harddisk0\Partition[Xbox Partition Number 1-7].

\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1, \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2, etc. which can be mapped to a drive letter same as Windows NT which the Xbox OS (Kernel/BIOS) is based upon.

Two more partitions left to format, currently:

part55 – F: - 996,197,400,576 - 65,536 - 6 - Extended Storage

being formatted that’s 996GBs, then

part56 – G: - 996,197,400,576 - 65,536 - 7 - Extended Storage

should be created once F: finishes.

The F and G partitions are going to take some time to be created. Each ~195 times longer than part50, E:, took.

kaos_engr 6

Next

Return to System Modding