Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

obsessed with xbox 128MB upgrade, machine against human

System Mods, Hard Mods and Soft Mods - Discuss them here.

obsessed with xbox 128MB upgrade, machine against human

Postby Maddglow05 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:43 pm

Im on a personal vendetta getting those damn ram chips installed onto an xbox classic, now,
after 2 failed attempts I went for a third but now with much high end equipment.. ain't failing again what I thought to myself.. So let me explain..
The first time I tried the upgrade, I thought to myself.. oh look I read people are doing it with cheap 15watt/20 to 30 euro soldering iron and a bit of patience, how could I ever fail?
Prior to this I have soldered many modchips and RGH'd xbox 360 consoles so I'm not a newbie with a soldering iron.. even tho I cheaped out when I bought my first for about 30€.
After ordering 5 samsung chips from china and waiting what to me felt like 2 russian winters my chips arrived and I gave it a go. The chosen xbox was a 1.2 or 3, I followed Floydzabarber's youtube tutorial to a T which is the only tut in english.
Installed all 4 ram chips properly, previous chips had the right xmas lights.. all went smooth.. until I hooked it all up and booted it.. FRAG.. alright, let's hit those 400 legs one more time.. FRAG.. one more time.. FRAG.. that went so far until I burned off one of the legs.. so the xbox was toast. I thought to myself.. well damn, you live and you learn.
I even counseled beloved isozone.. I had angry responses telling me, If you use a cheap soldering iron, thats what happens. Had no response to that, It was a bitter pill to swallow.

Couple weeks went by and I was willing to try it again, another 1.2 victim. This time I salvaged 4 ram chips from a dead board I had with a heat gun, which is not the best method of doing it but again.. people on the internet were telling me, "yo it's alright, ram upgrade ppfff easyyyyy"
Followed the tut, did everything right, aligned the chips, installed them properly.. nope still FRAGGED like Knight Rider to me.. orange red, orange red.
I was frustrated at this point so I got reckles and just went over the installed ram with the head gun and to my suprise the xbox booted.. showed me the full 128mb of ram, I was strongly relieved.. haaa I made it. Yeah no, the xbox froze up, after a reboot another FRAG. Well F me. WTF bro, thats my I said to my xbox. Well at least the xbox worked again after removing the chips.. but I accidently bent a pin when cleaning it with alcohol and a Q tip, FRAG, so yeah, I felt like the biggest retard in the world.

This was 3 or 4 weeks ago.. 3rd is the lucky charm right? not according to me when it comes to upgrading ram lol.
I went balls deep and bought a 200€ expensive soldering Station by the name of ersa i CON Nano, nice little handy dandy device,It was totally worth the buy. Now whos gonna stop me from having sweet 128mb of ram??
Soldering the pads, I felt more confident it would work this time butttttt.. nope, still FRAGS. So yeah, I not sure what to do at this point. I'm not giving up tho. I used salvaged ram again.. from the previous install so that might have been the issue, I will buy new ram from aliexpress and try it for a 4th time. I pray to god it will work, I really do, else I am questioning my existence.

The ram upgrade is not easy guys.. and everyone that says so is full of shit in my eyes lol. Don't believe everything you read. On the internet. Thats my final message. Imma be back with sweet 128mb of ram that I'll probably utilize 2 times lol and XBMC will run smoother hehe, Im confident in my abilities. I'll get it done.

Maddglow05 3

Re: obsessed with xbox 128MB upgrade, machine against human

Postby mrpink999 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:06 pm

I've read Floydz does not offer this anymore, so do not bother him about it.

But his video is stellar
Awesome stuff Floydz :D

mrpink999 Moderator

Custom Title: No Worries

Postby Jodo901 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:51 pm

Best of luck on your endevour Maddglow05! You've got way more patience than I do. I contemplated the 128MB Upgrade a number of years ago and it just seemed like to much risk for too little payoff. (I don't have mad skillz) I'm assuming the biggest payoff at this point is watching video with better encoding than the standard RAM can handle(?)

I have always been here
Jodo901 9

Postby EarthwormJames » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:20 pm

Jodo901 wrote:Best of luck on your endevour Maddglow05! You've got way more patience than I do. I contemplated the 128MB Upgrade a number of years ago and it just seemed like to much risk for too little payoff. (I don't have mad skillz) I'm assuming the biggest payoff at this point is watching video with better encoding than the standard RAM can handle(?)

It helps with N64 and PS1 games. Or so they say.

EarthwormJames 6

Custom Title: Lumbricus Extraterrestris

Postby Maddglow05 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:33 pm

Jodo901 wrote:Best of luck on your endevour Maddglow05! You've got way more patience than I do. I contemplated the 128MB Upgrade a number of years ago and it just seemed like to much risk for too little payoff. (I don't have mad skillz) I'm assuming the biggest payoff at this point is watching video with better encoding than the standard RAM can handle(?)

I really don't care much about the games you could count on 2 hands the upgrade would support, I tried it 3 times just for fun and as a challenge to myself :lol:
breaking those 2 xbox consoles was not fun tho :cry:

I just one 1 damn xbox to boot with 128mb and then Ill be happy on move on another project/challenge :lol:

If any one has sold his soul to the devil figuring the ram upgrade out and having tricks up his sleeve, man do share them

Maddglow05 3

Postby ClassicGamer90 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:18 am

Serious question here, are you using flux?. Because if not that would make your life MUCH easier. Also get a cheap USB microscope that you connect to your PC so you can inspect your work and check for bridges. I soldered in a Xeno mod chip in my GameCube that didn't work, when I unsoldered it I ripped up some traces, I was able to fix it by soldering to some of those traces sticking up and re routing the traces, had it not been for that microscope I wouldn't have even known I ripped up the traces because they were so small.

Systems I own:

Spoiler:
x2 NES
x2 SNES (Orig. & mini)
x1 Super Famicom
x2 Sega Genesis
x2 Nintendo 64
x3 PlayStation (Slim, orig., & orig. w/chip & clear blue shell)
x1 Sega Saturn
x4 Sega Dreamcast (1 w/ clear blue shell)
x2 GameCube (Xeno chip)
x1 GB
x1 GB Pocket
x2 GBC
x2 GBA
x1 GBA SP
x4 PlayStation 2 (2 orig. & 2 slim)
x1 Original Xbox (250GB HDD & UnleashX)
x1 Xbox 360 (Star Wars 320GB)
x1 PlayStation 3 (1TB)
x1 Wii (soft modded, 1TB HDD)
x1 Wii U
x1 DS Lite
x1 DSi XL
x1 3DS XL
X1 PS Vita
x2 PSP (1000, 3000 w/CFW)
x1 Neo Geo X
x1 Retro Freak
ClassicGamer90 4

Postby Maddglow05 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:46 am

yes, I used a shit load of flux, 2 different brands actually in try 2 und 3.

First time learning something about a usb microscope, I'll LOOK INTO IT for sure!

Maddglow05 3

Postby Floydthebarber » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:50 am

Maddglow05 use the Xblast bios or the SmartXX ram test to pinpoint which chip on the board is giving you issues. In my tutorial video, I used a small bevel tip, but now I use a chisel tip and liquid flux instead of paste flux, I recommend you do the same. Good luck, I know it is really frustrating when you are new to this modification. Keep at it, and you will get it eventually.

Floydthebarber 6

Postby Maddglow05 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:50 am

Flashing the xblast bios, doesnt seem that straight forward to me as all the other bioses.. It talks about getting a programmer and doing all sorts of stuff. Im not sure where to start there.

I have a SmartXX Modchip, I think it's a V1 or V2, Im not sure. The xbox would not boot with the extra ram and the modchip either. Had the recovery switch on and off, didnt make a difference.

Maddglow05 3

Postby Maddglow05 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:57 am

Can I simply flash the bios version of xblast onto an aladdin chip?

Maddglow05 3

Postby AdmiralShlong » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:16 pm

It's only easy after your first success. Until then it's hell. Reason being by then you've spent enough serious coin on your soldering setup to succeed most every time with your techniques. Not accounting for freak accidents of course.

I can tell you that you are closer than you realize.

A couple tips for you:

1. Don't bother with chips unless they are fresh and unused
2. The less flux the better, especially with paste
3. Smaller solder wire (I use .3mm lead free rosin core)
4. Bigger iron tip (I use a large hoof tip these days)
5. Ensure the flux you are using is actually optimised for the solder composition used

Qualitek Paste Flux 400, the stuff reccomended in Floyds video, is just fine for leaded and lead free soldering. Although it is absolutley worthless for lead free desoldering. Take into consideration the wire and flux combo seriously. Metallurgy is the conjuction of many different sciences, so approach it scientifically!

My Pride and Joy
Spoiler:
320GB ST3320620A 7200RPM 16MB Cache
Gellid GC-Extreme Thermal Compound
X-DU Alpha ModChip & Toggle Switch
StarTech 80 Conductor U-ATA Cable
80mm Xilence Hydro Bearing Fan
Taiyo Yuden Clock Capacitor
XBMC Build 3.5.3 Dash
XBOX 1.1 MainBoard
K= 1.00.4817.01
TSOP= X2 4983
iND-BiOS 5004
128MB RAM

My Systems
Spoiler:
Dell Dimension 4400:
2GB DDRM RAM
1.6GHz Dual Core CPU
Dell Dimension 4700:
4GB DDR RAM
2.8GHz Dual Core CPU
Xbox: (My Pride and Joy)
360: 2013 360E
HDD 500GB Seagate Momentus
Gellid GC-E Compound
HDD Door Radiation Vents
PS2: 60mm Sunon Maglev Bearing Fan
AdmiralShlong 3

Custom Title: Mainboard Manipulator

Postby Floydthebarber » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:51 am

Can I simply flash the bios version of xblast onto an aladdin chip?

Yeah you should be able to, it is only a 256kb bios so it should work on an Aladdin chip. What I recommend that you do is download the Xblast bios then download a copy of Hexen disk or Slayers. Uncompress the ISO then swap one of the bios', found in one of the uncompressed folders, with the Xblast bios (with the Xblast bios being renamed to what the name of the bios your swapping it for was) re-compress the slayers/hexen folders with Cxboxtool. Then burn the ISO to disk, put it in your Xbox and run it like normal, then choose the bios you know is actually the Xblast bios and flash it to one of your Modchips 256kb banks.

There are multiple ways of getting flashing the Xblast bios to your modchip, but this is probably the easiest and least risky.

The xbox would not boot with the extra ram and the modchip either.

Well that sounds like you have a short. What happens exactly? Are you getting a light code error or does it just come on for a sec and then shutdown?

Floydthebarber 6

Postby Maddglow05 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:24 pm

I thought with the xblast bios you had to program in a complicated way for it to work on an Xbox but I guess that was just so you can install multiple banks onto it!
So an aladdin will suffize for the ram check? Sweet!
Ill flash it, install the chip before doing the ram upgrade and check every ram one after the other, is that how you do it?

Before installing the modchip I have orange/red
And after the modchip (smartxx) green/red /green/red

Here are some pictures of my recent attempt

Last edited by Maddglow05 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maddglow05 3

Postby Maddglow05 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:28 pm

Sry for douple posting tho

I got excited and bought 10 chips off of aliexpress and a 1,3mm bewel tip for my iron from amazon

just gotta wait for 2 russian winters till the chip arrive :lol:

or Ill give it another shot with salvaged ram, I have like 3 broken xbox consoles lying around..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maddglow05 3

Postby Floydthebarber » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:40 am

I thought with the xblast bios you had to program in a complicated way for it to work on an Xbox but I guess that was just so you can install multiple banks onto it!

A bios doesn't have banks, a modchip has banks. You flash the bios to a bank of a modchip. In the case of an Aladdin modchip you have 1 bank to flash a 256kb bios too. The complicated process you are referring to I think is reprogramming the CPLD on an Aladdin modchip so that it will hold a larger SST flash chip that can hold a 512kb bios.

So an aladdin will suffize for the ram check?

I believe so

Ill flash it, install the chip before doing the ram upgrade and check every ram one after the other, is that how you do it?

Yes, mind you I have never done it with an Aladdin modchip. I have done it with an Xenium blue clone chip, and with a SmartXX v2 chip, but it should work all the same.

Also make sure to check the images of the chip locations that comes along with the Xblast files. Without it, you won't know which chip is which.

Floydthebarber 6

Return to System Modding