Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Is there a Softmod Solution to removing Blur/Motion Blur?

System Mods, Hard Mods and Soft Mods - Discuss them here.

Is there a Softmod Solution to removing Blur/Motion Blur?

Postby DarkTheThief » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:42 pm

The short version, I'm trying to play Shenmue 2, and the blurry picture it outputs, especially when moving around, is triggering my motion sickness to some degree. Is there any option with a softmodded console to remove that blur, or at least ease it up some?

DarkTheThief 2

Re: Is there a Softmod Solution to removing Blur/Motion Blur

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:25 pm

No. It's programmed into the software.

Dildo_Schwaggins 5

Postby Theomenkid_0 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:26 pm

Why not wait for the steam remaster? im sure there will be an option to disable it and if not the modders will fix it anyway

Theomenkid_0 3

Postby kittyflin » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:05 pm

What cables are you using

kittyflin 5

Postby viperxl2 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:35 pm

Use component cables, composite looks like shit and gives me the same feeling on hd displays

viperxl2 3

Postby Sabkahn » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:47 pm

If you play Shenmue 2 on a 360 through the backwards compatibility the entire post processing is turned off, among other things this includes the bloom from light sources and the motion blur. However it also turns all shadows off as well, so it´s a tradeoff.

If possible you could alo try the Dreamcast Version, that one doesn´t have the post processing either.

Another Option would be the Dreamcast Version via emulation on PC.

Sabkahn 5

Postby VoodooVincent » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:15 pm

I feel your pain, but there's no option. Whenever a game gives you the option to remove motion blur in newer games, it's the first thing that I do. That & chromatic aberration.

Democrats are domestic terrorists.
VoodooVincent 7

Postby rodion » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:17 pm

VoodooVincent wrote:I feel your pain, but there's no option. Whenever a game gives you the option to remove motion blur in newer games, it's the first thing that I do. That & chromatic aberration.

I don't understand it. Eyes blur objects in motion already, on top of that monitors blur motion too, then they add blur on top of it all ! And chromatic aberration is additional blur that basically simulates bad lens that can't focus properly ! Then they also like to add film grain. Makes a brand new game on a new screen look like it is played on a broken CRT.

rodion 5

Postby HisDivineShadow » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:08 am

That's the problem when you get new tools to play with. Professionals across a range of image making disciplines are just as prone to this as anyone. Just think about all the crap, very obvious CGI you saw in films when the technology was first introduced. Think about the overuse of zoom lenses, rainbow, starburst, softfocus, coloured graduated, and multi-prism 'filters' that dramatically date TV, film and photography to specific periods.

It is a younger 'art' but those involved in game game creation are just as guilty. We've seen cel-shading come and go out of fashion, bloom and flare effects, motion blur, all sorts of techniques etc used simply because the were available and probably new at the time not because they added anything valid aesthetically. That is the case here it would seem.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby DarkTheThief » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:44 am

Hey everyone, thanks for the answer(s), and apologies that I took forever to reply. I'm thinking my best option, in terms of cost right now, is playing it on the 360. If anyone knows though, is it able to be fully played through? Do the Arcade Games work? Are there any other things I should know? I just know that many original Xbox Games have trouble working on the 360.

DarkTheThief 2

Return to System Modding