Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Soft Mod or other?

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

Soft Mod or other?

Postby Sargeue » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:05 am

Hi all,

New here and new to Xbox! I just bought an original Xbox at a thrift store for $5, REALLY!
I figured it was junk, so I bought it just cause...it had the controller and HD AV cables and looks like a DVD thingy that was in port 1. When I got home, to my surprise the dang thing worked perfectly. I opened it up to clean it and it was spotless. WTF...$5!

Anyway, I know nothing about Xbox. I read a few forums and watched allot of youtube videos and I am trying to figure out how it is modded, which I know it is due to downloading a few games here and loading them up that they all worked perfectly. It has XBMC on it, another way I knew it was modded. I know nothing about anything on these consoles. I downloaded AID lite from here to install a few programs from it and try to figure a few things out.

I have been messing with this thing now for a few days, but don't want to screw anything up on it and what I am trying to do is swap a larger hard drive using "chimp" not the one on AID, the newer one on here and watched the video step by step and just can't seem to lock the copied one. I did check the HD list and it states it should lock, actually I have tried a 80GB one and a 40GB one just for testing purposes.

I didn't see any extra wiring on the motherboard, looking for a modchip and figured it was soft modded, again I am not sure! So with all that said, can anyone direct me on how to figure how it is modded, what to look for and what program to use to maybe tell me. I checked system and it does say modchip (unknown homebrew)! Unless I am reading something wrong. Thanks for any help or guidance!

Sargeue 2

Re: Soft Mod or other?

Postby nightwo1f » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:16 am

if there is no extra wires or chips soldered to the mobo then it can't be hardmodded. it's clear that it is only softmodded.
it might have a custom bios installed on it which is why it says modchip but who knows. you might have read something wrong.

amazing find though. working softmodded xbox with controller and component hd cables. now that is a steal.

Spoiler:
Acer Aspire V3 771G-9441
Xbox unleashX+XBMC 320GB HDD
Xbox unleashX+XBMC 160GB HDD
Xbox360 Jungle Flashed DVD-Drive 120GB
Nintendo 64
Wii softmodded 16GB SD + 320GB HDD
Playstation 1 SCPH-1001 Chipped
Playstation Slim 2 Chipped
Playstation 2 Phat 80GB internal HDD with FHDB
Playstation 3 slim 500GB
Playstation 3 Superslim 320GB
PlayStation 4 2TB
Sega Dreamcast
nightwo1f 7

Custom Title: Simple Modder

Postby Sargeue » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:22 am

Hell yeah, it was a steal. Thanks for the tip. Still having problems locking the larger hard drive after following all instructions to the T!

Sargeue 2

Postby EarthwormJames » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:16 am

If it has a modchip you should see a light coming out the left air vent. The light in on the modchip. No light means no modchip.

Are you saying it boots into XBMC? What HDD came with it, just the stock one?

EarthwormJames 5

Custom Title: Lumbricus Extraterrestris

Postby kaos_engr » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:35 am

It could be TSOP flashed with a hacked bios; or, softmodded if no modchip/hardware attached to the LPC port on the Xbox motherboard.

XBMC has System Info pages that can be accessed from within the Shutdown menu. These pages show lots of information about your xbox's configuration. Not how its modded specifically though--Summary, Storage, Network, Video and Hardware pages along with the version of XBMC installed.

Knowing the BIOS version running helps to some extent. BIOS Checker app output helps with finding this info.

It sounds like you can FTP to the xbox, you need to get a copy of the EEPROM.bin file saved to your PC ASAP. Or, are have you been burning games to DVD and playing them? Not uploading them to the Xbox's HDD.

First rule of modding original Xbox, "Get a backup copy of its EEPROM.bin file stored in several locations for safe keeping and named so you know which xbox it belongs to especially if you have several!"

kaos_engr 6

Postby Sargeue » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:27 am

Thx, yeah I read about how to FTP or backup your EEPROM file before I really do anything. I have to learn a bit more on how to FTP the file and will. I will make note of what the bios states than post it here and you guys will know from that I am sure. (should have done that from the beginning) Thanks for all the help so far...to all! Like I said I never owned one of these or any console, but I am pretty good at reading and finding out these things along with help from forums. I am more of a PC guy and built my own systems and into the tablets. I find it interesting how much you can do with the older systems that I never knew about.

Sargeue 2

Postby Sargeue » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:36 am

EarthwormJames wrote:If it has a modchip you should see a light coming out the left air vent. The light in on the modchip. No light means no modchip.

Are you saying it boots into XBMC? What HDD came with it, just the stock one?

Yes and Yes. 8GB HD

Sargeue 2

Postby Rocky5 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:44 am

Simple check, since the virtual drive has been armoured since NKPatcher 8 ( 2003 ) you can use this to test if you are running a softmod or a bios replacement.
( some bios can be patched ( ironically with a modified NKPatcher ) to support the VD but that's very very very uncommon )

You can download this and stick it in your apps folder link and run it from your apps menu, if you see your softmodded then well your softmodded, if it reboots to your dashboard then you aren't.

Also note:
If you are running an early 2003 Softmod it maybe using PBL to load a BFM bios, if this is the case then it will reload the dashboard, but that's very very very uncommon now as well.

Also virtual DVD drive can be disabled when compiling NKPatcher, but I haven't seen a softmod that doesn't have it enabled as it was and still is a valuable asset to the softmod community.
( it's used to play stubborn games with long name protection off the hdd )

Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby kaos_engr » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:08 pm

A few of the acronyms that Rocky5 mentioned above:

PBL - Phoenix BIOS Loader
    application used to boot a completely new rom/BIOS from the hard drive, when booting from ANY Microsoft kernel/BIOS.
BFM - Boot(able) from Media
    BFM Bioses are bootable from media, which means you can change the xbox bios that is shadowed in memory without using a switch or having to flash your modchip/tsop. These BIOSes should NOT be flashed to a modchip or tsop
And one from these descriptions:

TSOP - Thin Small Outline Package
    Form factor/package style of the flash memory chip that holds the Xbox kernel/BIOS that controls the startup and operations of the Xbox. Not present on version 1.6 motherboards.
    xbox1.0 tsop.jpg

amd655's post
These terms come from the names of the tools developed, discovered and released by team members within the Xbox hacking/modding scene.

Such as those members of:
    Team Phoenix for PBL.
    Team Evox for their hacked bios releases.
    Team Xecuter for their hacked bios releases.
    Team COMPLEX for their BFM bios collection.

just to mention a few...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kaos_engr 6

Postby Sargeue » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:03 pm

I want to thank everyone for all your help and information. I have learned much from you guys!
I know my xbox is 2005 1.6 version and I ran a program BIOS checker (ver. 5.0 by Crack Jack) and it states "Chip Type>MODCHIP (or unknown HomeBrew)" 5838 Retail.

On XBMC in settings in the LCD section under Modchip it states SmartXX, but I can change it and I didn't or won't (choices are Xenium, Xecuter3 and SmartXX) until I know what the hell is going on, lol!

I still haven't figured FTP yet and I will to backup and load programs suggested by several ppl here. Working on that now, like I said...this is all new to me and trying to understand what everyone is suggesting to me.

I also ran Unleash Dash through AID from XBMC files section and checked system settings and Xbox info states "Dash version 0.39.0528A Build 584", but I think that is the Unleash information. Under that menu you can view more information:
Video: NTSC M
Version: V1.6
Serial and HHD key stuff
Kernel Version 1.0.5838.1
CPU: 733 FSB: 133
Memory: 64.00mb
Display Card: Xbox NV2A
X2 IGR: Enabled
Hardware Info: Flags: 1616 GPU Rev.: 225 MCP Rev.:213
Gamepad, Infra Red and keyboard info
Drive info: C, E, F, G, X, Y, Z and DVD drive.
C drive = 499.92mb and E drive= 4,881.63mb
F & G= Total 0% free
Drives X,Y and Z=749.89 all 100% free
Then it states FTP, Misc stuff. Under Misc is states Chip ID: Protected/
Made in China (2005) (Of course)

That's all I have and I will just have to do more research, first and foremost to backup like suggested. Thanks again all!

P.S. I am able to DL and burn ISO games and play them with no problems for testing purposes using DVD -R Disks, just thought I should mention it.

Sargeue 2

Postby EarthwormJames » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:28 pm

Ok, just some basics to make it clear whether or not you have modchip visible on your board.

It will look something like this, the big blue chip.
modchipin.jpg

That's the left air vent it's close to. Before you take it apart, you can shine a flashlight into that left vent and see it, though you you may not be able to see the model and such.

Or it may be upside down like this, the red chip.
DSC01061.jpg

They are connected to the UPC holes on your board, that look like this.
lpc_port.jpg

If you can see these holes, obviously you don't have a modchip.

If you see a chip or something that looks like it, take a pic and post it here. You will have to take out your DVD drive, as it's under it. I suggest you just leave all the screws out of your Xbox for a while to save time.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EarthwormJames 5

Postby kaos_engr » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:25 am

As you state:

Kernel Version 1.0.5838.1

that's MS's latest Xbox BIOS used on 1.6 versions. Leads me to believe your xbox is softmodded.

kaos_engr 6

Postby Sargeue » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:53 pm

Hi all again,

Here is a few pics of my board and from the looks of it, there are no extra chips or wires. So it is solved, it is soft modded! Thanks to all for all your help and information. I was also able to figure out the FTP thing and backed up my EEPROM file from the E:\Backup section. To several areas and on thumb drive. Just waiting for Sata to IDE converter to attach my 160GB Hard Drive. All the older drives I had would not lock, so I figured they are not useable. I did check the hard drive list for compatibility! Thanks again to all!

Sargeue 2

Postby EarthwormJames » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:01 pm

Yup, I can see your UPC port so it's a softmod. Really nice board too. Looks like it wasn't used that much. Oh and, DO NOT remove your clock capacitor, as 1.6 Xboxes do not require their removal. And I suggest upgrading your IDE cable if the previous owner didn't, costs $5 and speeds up your system 25%. And a USB adapter cable, also $5, great for small file transfers.

http://www.theisozone.com/tutorials/xbo ... mes-by-25/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SMCJB4Y/

160GB sounds like enough to fit all the good stuff. Next comes figuring out what you want on it. Should be a real nice machine when you get done.

EarthwormJames 5

Postby Sargeue » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:33 pm

Thanks and thanks again for your help! I already got the USB cable and yeah, I did read about the ribbon cable. Thanks for the links also. I think I will put a bunch of games on it and I heard you can install Kodi on it! I use Kodi for the laptop and Plex (Has allot of un-supported channels) for the main TV! You guys have been great and I really appreciate your help.

Sargeue 2

Postby EarthwormJames » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:39 am

I tried the Kodi thing a while back and got confused and quit. I know Junk has a community version of XBMC with some Kodi stuff here...
http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/xbo ... k-edition/

Though be careful with your XBMC as you use it as a dash. So it you mess it up, it won't boot. When in doubt, ask around here. And if you want to put games on it, you came to the right place. There are some really great emulators here. On mine I have a SNES, Genesis, NES, N64, Playstation, and GBA. Plus about 60 Xbox games. And that's on a 200GB HDD, just to give you an idea of the possibilities. People are doing all this crazy coinops and hyperspin too. I preferred to keep it simple.

I came into all this last year, much like you did. I was given a beat up modded xbox I had to reverse engineer and fix. Then updated the games and emulators. I was just have a discussion about emulators here.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=67071

Gave some recommendations on some I have. Junk has a cool collection on that install disk. That would be an easy route. But you probably just want to try stuff out and see what works for you.

EarthwormJames 5

Postby Sargeue » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:52 pm

Cool, I will..thx! I think I might hold up on the Kodi thing due to having it on my laptop already. I think I will go with what you have and suggested for now until I get better at what I am doing and exploring. I have downloaded about 15 Xbox games so far, that all work by installing to disk and boot up fine. Don't know allot about the emulator stuff, but will check out the link you gave me. It would be cool to have all them emulators all in one machine.

Sargeue 2

Postby EarthwormJames » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:55 pm

Be sure and get dvd2xbox to copy Xbox games on DVDs to the HDD. Most often you can ftp them, but it's handy to have dvd2xbox around. Sometimes the best option is to burn them first.

As far as emulators, do the Playstation and N64 ones last. They can be tricky. I spend most of my time on the SNES and GBA, they just have the best games IMO. I've barely started playing my Xbox games, just the DOAs mostly, which rock.

Check out coinops and hyperspin before you get started on the emulators. I didn't go with them because it confused me, but a lot of people love them.

EarthwormJames 5

Return to Troubleshooting