Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Avalaunch 0.49.3 keeps freezing.

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

Avalaunch 0.49.3 keeps freezing.

Postby Rooftop » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:37 pm

I have downloaded both Avalaunch version found here on tiz.

http://theisozone.com/downloads/xbox/ho ... uild-v142/
http://theisozone.com/downloads/xbox/ho ... uild-v137/

Both version freezes after 30 seconds on the main screen.

Anyone else had / has same problem ?

Rooftop 3

Re: Avalaunch 0.49.3 keeps freezing.

Postby MasterOfAll » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:09 pm

How is your XBOX modded?
What version of XBOX?
Where do you have Avalaunch installed.
Is it a fresh install, or do you have old configs still kicking about?
How is it launched? Directly, at boot or through some other dashboard first?

I ask, because I've no problems at all with the latest version.

Just a quick thought though, is your XBOX connected to the internet?

MasterOfAll Moderator

Postby Rooftop » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:29 pm

pal xbox v1.6 with a duox2 chip 2TB hdd.
No internet connection, just a static ip crossovercable to my laptop or stationary machine.
XBMC is my dashboard and i use it in ntsc mode to get 720p.
I start avalaunch from xbmc filemanager.

Installed in E:/apps/avalaunch.
The HDD is new and fresh, but i moved savegames from my old hdd to the this one.
I looked for avalaunch saves with xbmc, but couldnt see anything.

Reason i want avalaunch is that together with qwix it can list if a game on hdd is pal, ntsc, j-ntsc or mixed region.

Rooftop 3

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:08 pm

I use or have used both versions and I think probably one or the other of those downloads is what I have installed on most of of my Xboxes.

If it is installed on E:\ as you've indicated it is check your free space.

Avalaunch is very particular about that, you need around 900MB and I treat that as meaning 1GB. It may put up a warning about low HDD disc space during boot saying it can and will cause problems. It does. :)

Also if you have a large number of icons for games, emulators, apps etc displayed by Avalaunch there is some upper unspecified total size limit. When that is reached it will stuff up the main menus and/or freeze the dash.

UnleashX also has a similar problem, again rarely mentioned, but not as acutely. That's why keeping icon file sizes down to a minimum is a good idea so that you don't exceed that total file size limit.

My guess is that this is a cache size issue but I may be wrong.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby MasterOfAll » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:40 pm

Are you sure your F: and G: partitions were done to 64KB clusters? Did you use XBP v1.3 to set the drive up? If not, what version of Chimp did you use?

BTW, I too have a 2TB drive. I just changed my PAL system to NTSC, and have mostly NTSC games with only one or two PAL games that never came out on NTSC.

With a 2TB drive why take up E: at all? Leave it to game saves, cache and music.

MasterOfAll Moderator

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Also meant to ask Rooftop why he is launch Avalaunch from the XBMC file manager rather
than simply from Apps.

XBMC Programs should have an Apps folder as a Source with a path pointing typically to all three drives most likley used ie. E:\, F:\ and G:\Apps. Anything in an "Apps" folder on those drives should launch without issue.

Here's the caveat. the main XBE needs to be named "default.xbe".

That got me thinking about what might happen if you launch say using a XBE named "avalaunch.xbe" from inside E:\Apps. Would that provoke any problem? I don't know but I'd still change the Avalaunch XBE to "default.xbe" just to exclude that as a possible cause of the problem described if not already done.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Rooftop » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:49 pm

Hello again, lets see..

e: 3864 mb free
f: 34282 mb free
g: 472078 mb free

I havent made an source apps folder yet, it contains some tools i dont
want my kids to access.

The avalaunch file I run from filenamanger is default.xbe located inside the avalaunch folder.

The harddisk was first prepared with xbp v1.3.
F: and G: has same sizes and both has 64kb clusters. But there was a a little problem finalizing the disk.
So I got help from Rocky5 and his tool Chimp to finalize the partitions to correct sizes and clusters.

I remember now that I had a identical avalaunch freezing problem before i installed the 2 TB hard disk.
My old hdd was a 320 gb hdd.

Rooftop 3

Postby MasterOfAll » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:39 pm

Make sure all the parts of the avalaunch config file that request going onto the internet are disabled. I'm going to guess that's the problem.

So things like, NTP servers (Clock server), etc, etc.

Since you don't have internet access, and a lot of the other stuff for info, getting space pictures etc, are now closed down. That might be what's making avalaunch hick-up and freeze.

MasterOfAll Moderator

Postby Rooftop » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:01 pm

Disabled everything possible. Still freezes at the same position. Doesnt matter if i browse the menus or not.

Rooftop 3

Postby HisDivineShadow » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:51 pm

I've just downloaded those link in the OP again and I will try them myself.

I did note that one does indeed use a avalaunch.xbe rather than default.xbe which, as mentioned earlier, would have to changed if it is to be used in Apps.

Also the supplied additional replacement XML file has a folder name that is too long for the FATX file system. So rename the folder before FTPing or copying to a flash drive with Xplorer360.

I doubt either is significant as regards the freezing matter but worth mentioning if others are reading through this thread in the future.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby MasterOfAll » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:34 am

I use v142

I've redownloaded it. It has default.xbe. (Btw changing the filename makes no difference)

In the .xml file, all I can see that might cause problems if you don't have a internet connection are...

Code: Select all
   <clock>
      <sntp enabled="0">
         <server>
            pool.ntp.org
         </server>
         <port>
         </port>
      </sntp>
   </clock>

<voiceserver enabled="0">
      <ip>
      </ip>
   </voiceserver>

<screensaver enabled="0" delay="60"/>

<newsfeed enabled="0">
         <source url="www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/xbox-scene.xml"/>
         <source url="www.xbins.org/xbins.xml"/>
      </newsfeed>

All of those should be set to "0" if you don't have your XBOX connected to the Internet.

MasterOfAll Moderator

Postby HisDivineShadow » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:27 am

I re-downloaded them too. Launched installed as apps on E:\ and F:\, launched from the file manager and repeated for both UnleashX and XBMC. The two Avalaunch downloads worked 100% perfectly for me on a v1.6 chipped Xbox.

However my Xbox is not online so that wasn't tested. Go with MasterOfAll's advice or, simpler, just disconnect the ethernet cable, if used, from the back of the Xbox whether you're online or not.

If its not some network connection issue I'm running out of ideas about what it could be because both booted fine for me without messing around with any settings. In fact I enabled stuff like music just to put extra stress on the system and I still had no trouble.

One thing I have always wondered about is Avalaunch's warning under its Settings > Boot Options menu is "Look for x3 (M8 hates this).

I don't know what that even means and it is disabled in both downloads but it suggests to me that maybe Avalaunch doesn't like certain BIOS or BIOS settings. If you're using a chipped machine or TSOP maybe that could be involved.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Rooftop » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:43 pm

Hey guys, thanks for all inputs and ideas.
It is finally working for me now.

The freezing was caused by a modification i did to the avalaunch.xml file.

I thought I could customize it fully to my own needs, but not quite exactly:

You see, I have all my emulators at "G:\emus" and "F:\emus" so I changed
the dirs it would search for my emulators from "emulators" to "emus" in the xml file.
Avalaunch doesnt like this at all, there must be "emulators" folder names in the xml or it will freeze. Almost as if the xbe expects to find "emulators" in the dir listings.

The reason i didnt notice this earlier was that i was puzzled by why all menus was empty and how avalunch always used 20-30 seconds of waiting for something before it froze.

Well, the reason for that was : these 20-30 seconds was used to scan all my "games" folders and with 300 games on hdd it takes a while.
Oh, why couldn't they put a message on screen saying : "scanning folders".

Case solved.

Rooftop 3

Postby HisDivineShadow » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:22 pm

I would suspect wrong syntax was used or you accidentally added an extra character somewhere. Easily done if edited on the Xbox.

I've had that with UnleashX too, one missed </List> and you can find everything below that in the config.xml ends up being put in the next folder or missing entirely. UnleashX doesn't usually freeze though.

BTW the advice I gave here on another topic only a couple of days ago is that if you are editing a config.xml, particularly a main dash, is to try the modified one on a test-bed copy you can keep anywhere on the Xbox. I have a set of such dashboard copies for all the ones I use regularly in Apps and my main UX dash.

It can save a lot of hassle.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby soilengreen » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi, have you CoinOPS installed in drive:\emulators\ ??
I have been able to verify that both the version of Avalaunch 0.49.1 / 2/3 built 137/142 freezes with CoinOPS

soilengreen Newbie

Postby soilengreen » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:33 am

I have verified that all versions of Avalaunch are incompatible with the executable default.xbe of CoinOPS 2 and higher.
With Premium, HyperVision, Visionary there is no problem of incompatibilities.
The solution is to this problem is simple.
Download a xbe shortcut https://svn.exotica.org.uk:8443/xbmc4xb ... efault.xbe
Go to CoinOPS folder and rename the original Coinops default.xbe to default_coinops.xbe.
Copy the donwloaded default.xbe in the same CoinOPS folder
Create in the same CoinOPS folder a file named default.cfg and write it the path to CoinOPS executable. UnleashX work ok for this job.

Example.

f:\emulators\coinops 8 lite\default_coinops.xbe

Finally with Avalaunch, Unleash or XBMC/4XBOX edit the title XBE to set the correct name.

Works 100% & end of worries

Sorry for my awful english

soilengreen Newbie

Return to Troubleshooting