Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

UnleashX Empty Games Folder

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

UnleashX Empty Games Folder

Postby nrogers80 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:52 pm

Hey guys, I am still fairly new to the whole modded XBox thing but I understand the basics. I had a about 40 original Xbox games on in my Games folder (F:/ drive) and a bunch of Emulators also on the F drive in the Emulators folder.

Long story short something happened to the Games folder while I was FTPing. The folder was renamed and its contents of all those xbox games were gone.

Annoyed but thinking no harm no foul I will just reupload the xbox game files to a new Games folder. I deleted the renamed folder (which was the original "Games" folder) and created a new one on the F drive and started to FTP the xbox games into that folder.

Upon finishing a couple games and rebooting the system, clearing cache, and even reflashing the system the "Games" menu of unleashX is empty, though the games FTPed over

Is there something I am doing wrong? Does anyone have any advice?

nrogers80 2

Re: UnleashX Empty Games Folder

Postby scorpNZ » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:23 pm

What does file manger show whats on the drive whether in unleash or boot cd/dvd
Can any of the games run from file manager when executed
Games folder was renamed to what ?
Empty games menu assuming folder is on the drive to me suggests the flashing & or the dash maybe pointing to either a different folder name or it can't see games folder due to linux being stubborn with caps & is sensitive to it
Games
or
games
What version formatter was used
What is the hdd & size i.e IDE or SATA
What ribbon cable are you using to the hdd
For future transfers check settings & set them to always ask & not overwrite

I can't think of anything else apart from dn't fill up the drive completely always leave say 15 to 10% free.

scorpNZ 6

Postby nrogers80 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:35 pm

The File Manger shows the folder to be there... (i.e Games/Halo: Combat Evolved) but when I click on the folder Halo it shays no files exist inside that folder so nothing is launching from there either (I do know the files transferred over via ftp too, and were all successful transfers).

I dont really know what the Games folder was renamed to as it looked like a keyboard smash that renamed my file (Im guessing one of my kids)

I have a 350GB SATA drive with an IDE connector. Honestly everything has been running great all35-40 xbox games as well as CoinOps 8 Hypervision 6 and about 5 or 6 Emulators. Nothing was added to the drive at the time of the conflict it just kind of happened. I am wondering if there is any way to revert to original settings without formatting the drive... I dont really want to lose CoinOps or Hypervision.

nrogers80 2

Postby scorpNZ » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:50 pm

Do you have the 80 wire ribbon cable
Try another sata adapter preferably a known good working one before tossing hdd
That was my next suggestion is to check the hdd on pc before a reformat with v1.3.When having issues like that it's what i do or do you have another sata drive lying around to see what happens
It may be just simple matter of a corruption somewhere on the drive,tho seeing a folder & it's contents but not working suggests adapter or communication issue

scorpNZ 6

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:53 pm

This has all the hallmarks of incorrect cluster size being used for the F:\ drive.

Use XBPartitioner v1.3 and see what cluster size it shows for F:\ (Partition 6) . If it is 16KB there's your problem. With a 350GB HDD the F:\ drive will be over 250GB and that means it MUST formatted to use 32KB clusters.

My guess is that during the recent FTPing you've hit that 250GB limit and you're seeing the result: corruption, most likely to what has most recently been added.

Unfortunately that is the tip of the iceberg. That corruption can mean any data that has been written to the HDD after the size limit was exceeded may have corrupted as well. Your entire F:\drive content could have files missing and you won't know what or where that is until you launch a game and find it doesn't work.

The only only way to fix this is to reformat the whole F:\ drive to use the correct cluster size and everything you have on there will be lost. As you can't know where and what that corruption has affected backing up the existing contents is not recommended. Total fresh re-installation is required.

The reason I know all too well about this is because had the same thing happen to me last month. I tried FTPing the 'uncorrupted' content to PC but when I started to look through it I found half my emulators had gone missing and there was much more than just those which had gone too.

I'd thought my 320GB F:\drive had been correctly formatted by Chimp but mistakenly I'd used Chimp2618 which only supports 16KB cluster size extended partitioning ie. up to 250GB.

Never mattered before as I generally used 120GB - 160GB HDDs in my Xboxes and I simply forgot I was using a 320GB. Big mistake...........it took me two weeks to reinstall everything I'd lost after I'd reformatted it correctly.

I really hope I'm wrong about this and it is something else scorpNZ has suggested.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby nrogers80 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:48 am

Thank you both for your replies. I am using an 80 wire IDE. I believe I have another adapter lying around, so I will try this before moving on to HDS's suggest. I am thinking that ultimately I will need to reformat the F: drive because it happened so suddenly, it almost seemed like a corruption. I'll keep you updated on my progress. Thanks again guys.

nrogers80 2

Postby kaos_engr » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:09 am

Install XBPartitioner v1.3 to the E drive and run it from the dashboard's filemanager or boot Hexen 2017 or 2018 and run it from the Xbox Admin menu.

This will quickly show if it is, in fact, incorrect cluster size formatting or to look elsewhere for a solution.

XBPartitioner v1.3 Partition List ER Area Red Outline.png

If you see "ER" printed in the RED outlined area, the F drive was improperly formatted to use the wrong cluster size.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kaos_engr 7

Postby HisDivineShadow » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 am

Absolutely agree, don't just assume that it is the cluster size. It is the most likely cause of the problem but please check it using XBPartitioner v1.3 before doing anything else.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby nrogers80 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:42 am

Yeah I definitely will I actually opened this up last night before speaking to you guys but I had no idea what I was looking for so, knowing this will be a huge help! Thanks again.

nrogers80 2

Postby nrogers80 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:10 am

Ok so after checking XBpartitioner 1.3 on line 6 it does have ER followed by 290.64 which your saying it was improperly formatted to use the wrong cluster size... which means I need to reformat the f drive correct? Sorry still tryin to fully grasp the technical aspect.

nrogers80 2

Postby HisDivineShadow » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:58 am

Yep, unfortunately it does.

You can use XBPartitioner v1.3 to do that although its GUI is not as user friendly as Rocky5's Chimp 261812 update which will reformat larger partitions correctly too. I used the latter and then checked it with XBPartitioner v1.3 to confirm that afterwards.

Just Google "Chimp 261812" and you'll find it.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby nrogers80 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:04 pm

That is kind of what I expected to hear... Ah well could be worse I guess. Thanks everyone for your input. It’s greatly appreciated, I wouldn’t have figured this out without your help. Now I’ll ned to figure out how to get coin ops 8 and hyper vision 6 back on there lol.

nrogers80 2

Postby scorpNZ » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:35 am

an ftp program, some power & patience

scorpNZ 6

Postby nrogers80 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:57 am

Thanks again for everyone's help. I formatted my F partition and have so far uploaded several Xbox originals to the games folder, as well as Ninja Premium, Hyper Vision and several Emulators. So far, so good everything seems to be running properly, big nod of appreciation to you guys.

nrogers80 2

Return to Troubleshooting