Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Trace corrosion repair guide needed for a v1.0 ?

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

Trace corrosion repair guide needed for a v1.0 ?

Postby XC-3730C » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:10 am

I have a v1.0 Xbox with the following symptoms (these only occur after the system has already been powered on for a while):

- DVD drive ejects itself
- pressing the power button while the system is on results in it basically rebooting the system (I have to pull the power cord out to turn it off)
- Putting the power cord in automatically turns on the system.

Other than that, the system works, and has been my test system for a while, but I wanna finally fix this once and for all.

I am pretty sure it has trace corrosion, and I have seen a few repair guides, but none of them are specifically for a v1.0

Anyone have a guide for repairing these issues on a v1.0?

Old school RGB systems I own:
Spoiler:
AV Famicom w/ NES2RGB + FDS drive w/write mod
SNES
N64
Sega Genesis 1/Sega CD 1, Super Magic Drive Plus
Sega Saturn w/mod chip + AR 4-in1
Atari Jaguar w/Jag CD
3DO (RGB modded)
PSX w/stealth chip
PS2 w/ network adapter, 120gb HDD, FMCB
Neo Geo MVS

HDTV capable systems I own:
Spoiler:
Alienware Alpha i3, 16gb RAM, 256gb SSD
Nvidia Shield TV (Android)
Xbox 360 phat Jasper RGH'd
PS3 Slim with CFW

Other systems:
Spoiler:
Gamecube platinum w/Viper case, Qoob SX, GBA player
Dreamcast w/GDemu, 128gb SD
Original Xbox v1.6 + X3 chip, green Ghostcase, 2TB HDDHitachi HDD/DVD
XC-3730C 7

Re: Trace corrosion repair guide needed for a v1.0 ?

Postby kaos_engr » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:27 am

kaos_engr 6

Postby XC-3730C » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:45 am

I saw this one before, but I guess I am lookiing more for what points to wire up on the motherboard. I am not an electronics guy. Perhaps what I am looking for is more of a step by step with pictures.

Spoiler:
SNES
N64
Atari Jaguar w/Jag CD
3DO (RGB modded)
PSX w/stealth chip
Neo Geo MVS

Spoiler:
PS3 Slim with CFW

Other systems:
Spoiler:
XC-3730C 7

Postby kaos_engr » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:34 am

The points are those for the power and eject button signals to the PIC processor.

They are shown in the sickmod.net images. The exact start and end points depends upon your Xbox MB version.

The main idea of the tutorial is the addition a new wires from the front of the Xbox MB where these signals are first attached to the front panel buttons.

The all YELLOW cable running through the hole in the central location of the front panel carries signals to/from the power/eject board and PIC processor.

These two new wires provide continuity for the power and eject signals in case any of the traces on the Xbox PCB have been damaged. And, terminate at the two pins on the PIC processor, one for power and one for eject.

The PIC processor is always powered when the A/C cord is plugged in running off of 3.3V standby power of the power supply. The PIC controls power on/off and DVD tray eject/load functions.

The PIC processor also functions as the clock. When unplugged from A/C power and the Xbox is turned off, the PIC draws its power from the 1 Farad Aerogel clock capacitor to keep the time for a couple hours until drained of charge. On v1.0-1.5 Xbox's, this capacitor is the culprit leaking electrolyte and causing all the problems with trace corrosion.

Last edited by kaos_engr on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
kaos_engr 6

Postby XC-3730C » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:43 am

kaos_engr wrote:The points are those for the power and eject button signals to the PIC processor.

They are shown in the sickmod.net images.

The tutorial is adding a new wire from the front of the Xbox MB where these signals first attach from the front panel. The all yellow cable from the power/eject board mounted on the front panel to the MB. These two new wires make sure there is continuity in case any of the traces on the Xbox PCB have been damaged. Terminating at the two pins on the PIC processor, one for power and one for eject, that controls the power on and eject functions of the Xbox.

What sickmod.net images?

Spoiler:
SNES
N64
Atari Jaguar w/Jag CD
3DO (RGB modded)
PSX w/stealth chip
Neo Geo MVS

Spoiler:
PS3 Slim with CFW

Other systems:
Spoiler:
XC-3730C 7

Postby kaos_engr » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:52 am

The P/E continuity images for various Xbox versions on the linked tutorial web page. Sickmods.net has a write-up on how the Xbox's P/E buttons work. Larger images are available there too.

For a v1.0 or 1.1 Xbox. The top ~5/6 of the image shows the two (2) PIC processor pins and the bottom 1/6 the front of the Xbox MB where the signals are routed to traces on the motherboard to the header where the all YELLOW cable carries signals to/from the power and eject buttons on the front panel. (It is very cryptic to understand until you TRACE it all out by the pseudo-colors added to the signal paths.)

pe_trace_10-11.jpg
Source: http://diy.sickmods.net/Tutorials/Xbox1 ... t_Pinouts/

Xbox-Motherboard-Rev1 (2 outlined regions).jpg
Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... d-Rev1.jpg

Power and eject signals from front panel power/eject board are red (power) and blue (eject). These are modified by a voltage divider circuit and routed to pins on the PIC processor. The processed signals are show in a different color as they are not the original red and blue power and eject respectively.

PIC processor colored pins connect to the matching cyan (after voltage divider eject signal) and magenta (after voltage divider power signal) shown on the bottom 1/6 of the graphic.

The exact path of the traces is not shown as only a good connection from the voltage divider to PIC is necessary.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kaos_engr 6

Return to Troubleshooting