Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Error Code 12

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

Error Code 12

Postby visio27 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:39 am

Greetings,
Recently i opened the Xbox (the old version, PAL) and i disconnected the HDD and after reconnecting it i am getting the error code 12 "to contact the support". Also the eject button flashes in "green" and "red". I have controlled the connection and everything is connected OK (the IDE cable is on the DVD Drive and in the HDD as they should be).
Can anyone help on this matter.
Thanks in Advance.

visio27 2

Re: Error Code 12

Postby damotheking » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:41 am

after a bit of googling try
Open the console and verify especially the yellow cable conected on the back of the dvd drive and the grey ide cable try disconecting and reconecting, error 12 is the dvd drive cable or in some strange cases the dvd drive pcb board,verify the cables first and see if works report back.

Spoiler:

damotheking 8

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:26 pm

Yes, error 12 is an indication of a DVD drive error of some sort. Its uncommon but as damotheking suggests re-checking both the cables is the obvious first thing to do.

Check for broken, bent or damaged connection pins and anything else like that.

Does the Xbox power on if you press the eject button and does the tray actually eject before the error message appears? If the tray does eject and you can load a disc can you hear it spinning up on cold boot even if the error message still kicks in?

Should re-checking the connections not result in any change then there isn't going to be a lot you can do without having another good Xbox DVD drive available to test. If that works then you know the problem is a faulty DVD drive and unless you can diagnose and fix that you're probably going to have to replace it anyway.

I suppose it could also be the blame all: broken or damaged MB traces connected to the operation of the DVD drive but good luck identifying if that is the case. Fingers crossed it is just a cable connection issue.

The red/green LED flashing is generally an indication of some unspecified problem but if the Xbox is restarting twice and then doing this it could indicate something more serious is wrong.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby visio27 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:36 pm

the video shows ( streamable_com/71mk8) that dvd is ok. Also below the pictures of the error and back side of dvd drive and HDD where the pins are clearly "ok".

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
visio27 2

Postby damotheking » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:07 pm

do you have another xbox you can take the dvd drive out and test in the xbox with the error 12.
the only reason im asking is i have had the same problem and testing it with another dvd drive
got it booting again so i knew my drive was dead

Spoiler:

damotheking 8

Postby visio27 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Unfortunately i don't have another one.

visio27 2

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:41 pm

Video?

From the pics it looks like the whole thing is very clean and nothing obviously wrong with the pins as you say.

Have you tried it with another IDE cable? You'd expect a different error code number if it was that but if you have a spare one it maybe worth trying.

Most of the stuff I've seen/read about fixing error 12 is done by checking and re-seating both the DVD drive cables and their connection to the MB and the IDE connection to the HDD too. If it is not that then it could be a cable fault which is why I suggest trying with a different IDE cable.

But the other DVD cable is more of problem because without another fully working Xbox its not something you can easily replace/check.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby visio27 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:42 pm

I will check if i can find one on ebay or somewhere else cuz this is the first time on these problems.
Regarding the video you have to adjust the address (https : // streamable . com/71mk8) . cuz im not allowed to post link (new user).
Thanks for taking your time to help.

visio27 2

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Just looked at the video but it didn't really tell us anything more than the pics.

What about the eject/close tray matter? Does the Xbox turn on when using the eject button and does the tray eject/close? Even when it is showing error 12 it should still eject/close.

If that is working: when you load an original Xbox game disc before or even after powering on can you hear it spinning or trying to spin up?

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby visio27 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:17 pm

1-The video was to show the color changing and the noise of the dvd drive (i suppose is not faulty).
2-Yes the xbox turns on when eject button is pressed and it closes.
3-Yes i can hear the disk spinning (thats why i sent that video).

visio27 2

Postby HisDivineShadow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:57 pm

Maybe I missed it but Its difficult to tell the difference between the HDD spinning up and the sound of the DVD drive. Without actually knowing or seeing that an original Xbox game disc had been loaded a red/green flashing LED and the sound of the Xbox fan/HDD, as said, does not really tell us any more than the pics.

However if the tray is working and the game disc is spinning it tells us the DVD drive at least has power. But that means it is much less likely there's anything wrong with the brown power/control cable and the problem is with the DVD drive itself.

The annoying thing for you is that you don't actually need the DVD drive to be working to use the Xbox. Its PCB is still required ie. the Xbox has to 'know' its there and unfortunately what the error 12 (DVD drive PIO/DMA problem - Programmed In/Out, Direct Memory Access) means is that it doesn't because of a fault.

Testing it using a replacement Xbox DVD drive appears to be the only thing left to suggest. If it works that it would prove the existing one is faulty but, I well understand, that's not much help. You're probably going to have to buy another Xbox to get a working DVD drive so that makes repairing this one most likely pointless.

I was hoping somebody else here might have some other ideas but apparently not.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby visio27 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:33 pm

Thanks for your effort on helping me.
I am gonna try to find an old xbox for parts and see what happens. I'll inform after i do all your recommendations.
:)

visio27 2

Postby MisterXiado » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:30 pm

Thankfully, Xbox DVD drives can still be acquired, for around $35.00 on eBay. I recently had to replace mine, as it stopped reading DVDs in the twelve years the system was sitting around collecting dust. The PCB in the failing drive still functioned, as I only got error 12 when I forgot to reconnect the drive when attempting to mirror the original HDD to the replacement.

MisterXiado 3

Postby HisDivineShadow » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:04 pm

You can get a complete used, working Xbox for the same $35/£26, often less. There are used, claimed working, Xboxes on eBay (UK) for much less including P&P.

So, as said, it makes using a working DVD drive from one like that to replace a faulty drive in another Xbox a bit pointless.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby visio27 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:28 am

Ok i made some tests and the problem in my case is that the DVD Drive is not working (no idea why).
Now, since i cannot softmod it with the game and usb and those other things, i am going to try to 'hotsawp' it, but i don't have the EEPROM file (don't know how to get it).
My question is DO i have to have the EEPROM or NOT?

visio27 2

Postby Rocky5 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:08 pm

visio27 wrote:Ok i made some tests and the problem in my case is that the DVD Drive is not working (no idea why).
Now, since i cannot softmod it with the game and usb and those other things, i am going to try to 'hotsawp' it, but i don't have the EEPROM file (don't know how to get it).
My question is DO i have to have the EEPROM or NOT?

No since you’re hotswapping the drive. The Xbox will unlock the drive when it boots to an error or dashboard for you. So long as you keep it powered.

Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Return to Troubleshooting