Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Xbox weird issue

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

Xbox weird issue

Postby Adam1987 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi everyone!

It's a little bit hard to explain, that's why i kept the subject of this topic simple.

So, i have an original xbox for a while now. Never opened it before, but i thought i should becose the dvd drive most of the times (guess when it tries to read bigger data from the disc) usually froze the game for 2 or 3 seconds. It's noticable and annoying, becouse if there's music in the background it also loops for that short time. The drive clearly struggles.
So, i was thinking that the DVD drive is dying. I had another unit so i swapped the drive. It does the same thing. After that, i cleared the cache -> no luck eiter. After that, i updated the softmod -> no luck either.
I just can't figure out why the xbox do this 2-3 second freezing when loading something from the dvd drive. I tested the drive in another xbox and it doesn not do this freezing thing. This particular xbox is doing the freezing with both retail and burned games. Games running from the HDD seems running fine.
The only thing i can think of is that something wrong with the motherboard or the IDE cable?
Could it be?

Have anyone encountered something like this before?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Adam1987 Newbie

Re: Xbox weird issue

Postby Adam1987 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:14 pm

Just managed to test a new IDE cable and sadly i does the same thing. :(

Adam1987 Newbie

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:31 pm

That was going to be my first suggestion, replacing the IDE cable or at least checking the connectors.

If you have another Xbox with a compatible DVD drive power connector cable have you tried swapping that over too.

Always worth replacing or at least checking the cables/connectors even if that only ends up ruling them out as the source of the problem.

If the other DVD drive you know is good displayed the same problem with that Xbox and the 'problem' DVD drive works OK in another Xbox that is pretty conclusive evidence its not the DVD drive at fault.

It is must therefore be an issue with the Xbox itself and more likely caused by a hardware fault rather than the softmod I would have thought, particularly as you updated that and the problem remains.

So I'm hoping that replacing DVD power cable solves the problem. If not you'll need more advice from those who may have come across the problem themselves.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby kaos_engr » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:08 pm

It could be the HDD holding up access to the DVD drive. They both share the same interface bus and if it hangs it will stop access to the DVD drive. Suggest changing the HDD. If softmodded, the drive is/must be locked thus takes a bit more work to build a new locked drive or clone the current one - y-power splitter, chimp 261812 software, and hotswap IDE connector to new HDD with DVD drive.

Make sure you have a backup of the Xbox's EEPROM contents.

kaos_engr 6

Postby kittyflin » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:45 pm

Could be damaged traces caused by a leaked clock capacitor, check the board near capacitor for corrosion

kittyflin 5

Postby Adam1987 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:09 pm

Thank you all for your answers.

Also thanks for the interesting information kaos_engr. Xbox seems like a really weird console. I think i will try to swap the HDD becouse that's the last thing i hadn't changed so far.

Would post the results when i manage to do it.

Adam1987 Newbie

Return to Troubleshooting