Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Not detecting new HD? TSOP Modded with hexen

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

Not detecting new HD? TSOP Modded with hexen

Postby semikid13 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:27 am

I'm trying to install my new HD with Hexen. I cant seem to find a proper tutorial for my needs.

Here's what I'm doing:
(with hexen) Unlocked original xbox HD, turn off xbox.
Reboot (with hexen) with original HD still plugged in, boots up.
Unplug original HD (default master jumper)
Plugin New HD (WD3200AAJS) (with master jumper) using IDE to SATA adapter, the most successful one, i forgot the name.
Go to Install new HD NTSC.
C and E format properly, but now I get stuck on "formatting Drive X:/" for hours, and it never finishes.

Any ideas? I'm I doing this wrong? I've tried chimp before and had problems, never detects the 2nd drive. With Hexen it looks like its at least detecting it?

semikid13 2

Re: Not detecting new HD? TSOP Modded with hexen

Postby irvgotti452 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:22 am

How big is the drive? If it's a big drive you're most definitely gonna need an 80wire ide cable. Then it will work.

I'm not a noob. So don't answer me like one.
irvgotti452 3

Custom Title: RDC Member

Postby kaos_engr » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:47 am

I concur with irvgotti452's assessment.

80-wire 40-pin high-speed IDE cable REQUIRED for SATA HDD/IDE-to-SATA adapter combo.

This combination negotiates a high data transfer rate than the stock IDE HDD that the 40-wire 40-pin stock IDE cable cannot handle 100% of the time.

--
kaos_engr

kaos_engr 6

Postby oldxbox75 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:39 pm

Did you wait for Hexxen to Recognize the new HDD.?
That could be the issue
you may also need to prepare the HDD with XPartioner First.!

Otherwise you may have this issue where Hexxen still thinks the old HDD is in place and formats it accordingly.
20 GB - Stock HDD
200 GB - New HDD

Hexxen will only Format the 200 GB HDD as a 20 GB if not detected correctly.!
It may also help the process if you disconnect the old HDD during this Process.
Could also be a Faulty Power Lead (Molex Connection)

oldxbox75 6

Postby boot_sequence » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:19 pm

when i went thru this last year i followed this video with success. i used a 1TB sata drive, not exactly sure where to start with drive X formatting issue you mentioned.

are you using the youtube video from username P3NCE "2017 Original NTSC Xbox Softmod Tutorial + HDD" to complete your project on the xbox?

boot_sequence Newbie

Postby semikid13 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:16 pm

irvgotti452 wrote:How big is the drive? If it's a big drive you're most definitely gonna need an 80wire ide cable. Then it will work.

320gb, I forgot to mention, I do also have the most recommended xbox modding 80 wire ide cable.

semikid13 2

Postby boot_sequence » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:24 pm

and the sata adapter... does it have a jumper as well?

boot_sequence Newbie

Postby semikid13 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:26 pm

oldxbox75 wrote:Did you wait for Hexxen to Recognize the new HDD.?

How do I tell? The drive storage amount will change on the right-hand side of the screen? And How do I make sure it does so properly?

oldxbox75 wrote:you may also need to prepare the HDD with XPartioner First.!

What is the proper way to do so? (which format option)

oldxbox75 wrote:Otherwise, you may have this issue where Hexxen still thinks the old HDD is in place and formats it accordingly.

Sounds like this might be happening.

It may also help the process if you disconnect the old HDD during this Process.
I normally do without the ide, but not power, since i have the splitter. But I have to disconnect the IDE regardless since Hexen is on a CD. I was going to try booting hexen off my HD too see if that might help. I'll also try disconnecting the power cable from the Old HD and get back to you.

Thank you

semikid13 2

Postby semikid13 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:28 pm

boot_sequence wrote:and the sata adapter... does it have a jumper as well?

yes, master or slave. I'm assuming I set it as master as the old HD was set to master.

;)
MASTER MASTER! MASTER OF PUPPETS I'M PULLING YOUR STRINGS! :twisted:

semikid13 2

Postby semikid13 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:17 pm

boot_sequence wrote:when i went thru this last year i followed this video with success. i used a 1TB sata drive, not exactly sure where to start with drive X formatting issue you mentioned.

are you using the youtube video from username P3NCE "2017 Original NTSC Xbox Softmod Tutorial + HDD" to complete your project on the xbox?

originally, but softmodded was not working for me, chimp just wouldnt work in recognizing the drive. So i gave up, removed the softmod and discovered TSOP recently, which was great, because now I'm able to at least unlock the original HD, but now I still cant get the New HD dectected. :/
I was using slot1gamers tutorials. And they have been great, except for upgrading the HD.

semikid13 2

Postby semikid13 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:12 pm

I guess the best question would be: How do I format my new drive? So that it's recognized while cloning the old one with chimp)?

semikid13 2

Postby boot_sequence » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:04 am

if i recall correctly FATx is how my drive was formatted.
if you look at minute 36 of the video i mentioned it shows his process, i am wondering of you can get a better or different idea about the upgrade on the HDD.

im foggy on the difference you mention between softmodding and using chimp, seems they are the same in that you need the info off the original drive to boot up the xbox in order to run the exploit that allows it to see the new HDD.
i really hope you get your answer soon!

boot_sequence Newbie

Postby HisDivineShadow » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:37 pm

This is a TSOP not a softmod isn't it?

The old HDD is now unlocked and that boots OK ie. without the new HDD attached, HeXEn or any other installer disc or anything else connected, correct?

If it does it confirms there's nothing wrong with your current set up.

So the question is: why are you apparently trying to install the new HDD with the old HDD still attached?

With a chipped or TSOPed machine a new or an unlocked, cleaned used HDD is all you need connected.

Just fit the replacement HDD in place of your old one* and then cold boot HeXEn or AID from disc.

Either should detect the new HDD as needing formatting and walk you through the process. You then install your main dash and that should be it. Just leave the HDD unlocked and all should be good.

If it isn't then I'd go back to what kaos_engr and irvgotti452 said: with a SATA HDD you must use an 80 wire IDE cable and a Xbox friendly SATA > IDE adapter. If you've already bought the 80 IDE wire cable then I'd suspect the adapter is where the problem is.

* If it were me I'd re-lock the old HDD once you have this matter sorted and copied what you wanted from it. In fact I would have FTPed everything to a PC as backup and not unlocked it in the first place.

Store the locked HDD as a safety net - that should mean if you had any problems you still have an HDD locked to that Xbox which boots OK in any circumstances.

HisDivineShadow 9

Return to Troubleshooting