Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Softmodded 1.0 will not start after Clock cap removed

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

Softmodded 1.0 will not start after Clock cap removed

Postby Thunderbox » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:37 pm

I have a 1.0 that I softmodded w/ Ndure and has Xleash on it. It is the same procedure that I used on my 1.6 with no issues. After the softmodded it I decided to do some maintenance on it. I removed the clock cap and cleaned the area. No sign of corrosion on the cap or the board.

Cleaned and put new grease on the heat sinks. I broke the plastic clamp on the CPU and replaced it with a one acquired from Ware-Wolf here on the forums. (thanks Wolf) It seems like the sink on the CPU is very loose, I can slide it around slightly which seems odd. Double checked that the clamps are correctly attached.

Went to fire it up and get a two time attempt to start with green light then a power on with flashing orange and red. No video displayed. I cannot boot to my Hexen disk and am stuck at this point.

I am not able to use the cap as the leg is too short. I would be fine with putting another one back on. Just need to find a source for the correct one and the proper alignment. In addition I did use Arctic silver 5 grease on the sinks and just read here that that is not the best choice.

Any Idea's?

Thunderbox Newbie

Re: Softmodded 1.0 will not start after Clock cap removed

Postby mercuryshadow09 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:42 pm

Are you sure it was the capacitor you removed?

Genesis model 1
Genesis model 2 + 32X
PS1 with Stealth chip
PS2 Fat soft modded - network adapter and 80 gig HDD
PS3
PS4
OXbox X3 all soft modded
RGH'd Jasper 360 w/ Cool runner rev C
Dreamcast
Saturn model 2 w/ Universal V3
Wii with WODE Jukebox
GameCube Xenochipped
N64
mercuryshadow09 7

Custom Title: Human metronome

Postby Thunderbox » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:50 pm

yes - 2.5 volt Aerogel. I checked the forums to make sure I identified the correct one.

Thunderbox Newbie

Postby AdmiralShlong » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:17 pm

The CPU heatsink should be a little slippery, that is fine with liquid compound. Pre 1.6 clock cap removal shouldn't effect booting whatsoever, soft or not. You could buy another 2.5V 1F rear mounted cap off of amazon or something and try it though. Only a buck or two each usually. Also, if it is a clock related issue, pluging the box into an active router would bypass the need for a new cap. Is it possible you over greased the CPU or GPU and had spillover hit the solder balls underneath? You should only use a few milimeters of compound for the CPU, and just less than a pea blob for the GPU.

My Pride and Joy
Spoiler:
320GB ST3320620A 7200RPM 16MB Cache
Gellid GC-Extreme Thermal Compound
X-DU Alpha ModChip & Toggle Switch
StarTech 80 Conductor U-ATA Cable
80mm Xilence Hydro Bearing Fan
Taiyo Yuden Clock Capacitor
XBMC Build 3.5.3 Dash
XBOX 1.1 MainBoard
K= 1.00.4817.01
TSOP= X2 4983
iND-BiOS 5004
128MB RAM

My Systems
Spoiler:
Dell Dimension 4400:
2GB DDRM RAM
1.6GHz Dual Core CPU
Dell Dimension 4700:
4GB DDR RAM
2.8GHz Dual Core CPU
Xbox: (My Pride and Joy)
360: 2013 360E
HDD 500GB Seagate Momentus
Gellid GC-E Compound
HDD Door Radiation Vents
PS2: 60mm Sunon Maglev Bearing Fan
AdmiralShlong 3

Custom Title: Mainboard Manipulator

Postby irvgotti452 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:12 pm

Isn't orange and red light a ram issue? Check the ram chips on the board and make sure the ram chips are clean of any debris.

I'm not a noob. So don't answer me like one.
irvgotti452 3

Custom Title: RDC Member

Postby kaos_engr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:32 pm

Thunderbox wrote:I have a 1.0 that I softmodded w/ Ndure and has Xleash on it.
Went to fire it up and get a two time attempt to start with green light then a power on with flashing orange and red. No video displayed. I cannot boot to my Hexen disk and am stuck at this point.

Yes, as irvgotti452 stated, 50% Red/50% Orange = RAM error. Make sure there's no Arctic Silver paste or other better conductor shorting any of the DRAM pins together.

I am not able to use the cap as the leg is too short. I would be fine with putting another one back on. Just need to find a source for the correct one and the proper alignment. In addition I did use Arctic silver 5 grease on the sinks and just read here that that is not the best choice.

Any Idea's?

Mouser sells the PowerStor/Eaton 2.5V 1F SuperCap Size: 8mm dia. x 13mm high Price $1.98 ea or another for $2.48 same size and capacitance rating, ESR is half of the first's at 200 mOhm.
+ S&H. (PDF Datasheet 1 and 2) They have larger capacitance SuperCaps/UltraCaps too. 1.5F, 2.2F, 5F, 10F, 25F, 60F, etc. but they may be too tall to fit.

Proper polarity installation required as you state. Not sure why PCB silkscreen labels have the positive (+) lead marked while caps have the negative (-) lead marked?

kaos_engr 7

Postby Thunderbox » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:48 am

thanks for all the replies. have the caps on order and am looking over the board for any debris.
More to follow

Thunderbox Newbie

Return to Troubleshooting