Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Fix for rusty heatshields (metal frame)

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

Fix for rusty heatshields (metal frame)

Postby grunt07 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:37 pm

I use this on my rifles whenever theres a spot of rust.So l thought I would share this.It will also work for any bare metal surfaces in other consoles, computers etc.Before you get started,I want you to know that the blue and rust remover used will cause the metal to turn gray,but can somewhat be polished out.Also you will be working with acid which will eat holes in your clothes,and can burn you,use common sense.You will need:
Birchwood Casey,Blue & Rust Remover(has acid in it)
Tooth brush and Q-tips
Baking soda
Eye protection(your working with acid)
Vinyl or latex gloves
Small stainless steel brush and steel wool
Car wax or metal polish

STEP 1: (after removing heatshields)I would recommend doing this outdoors.Degrease,dry and apply blue and rust remover with a toothbrush or q-tips onto rusted surface.Let it set for a couple minutes while while working it in ever now and then.Don't let it dry.After a few minutes rinse with water and dry.You may need to do this a couple times,depending on how deep rusted.The S/S brush helps if its real bad.

STEP 2: If you want to add a little shine back again you can use you steel wool or S/S brush to do this.The S/S brush will leave scratch marks.It probably is not going to be as shiny new as it once was though.I didnt get into making it all shiny that much myself,but I did focus on polishing up all the little tabs sticking up on the bottom frame that contacts the motherboard.

STEP 3: Wipe it down with a damp rag and dry it.Then apply either car wax or metal polish and hand buff it out,this will help prevent rusting in the future.

I hope yall find this helpful.If anyone has a better way or different idea feel free to add it.

grunt07 2

Re: Fix for rusty heatshields (metal frame)

Postby grunt07 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:45 pm

I forgot to mention after applying the blue and rust remover and rinsing it off,shake some baking soda all shakeand just scrub it a little to neutralize any acid left over after rinsing.Not a real big deal but just to make sure you dont leave any on there.

grunt07 2

Postby MisterXiado » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:43 am

Crom weeps for your rifles. OIL THEM, HEATHEN!

The Homepage of the Oldternet - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
MisterXiado 3

Postby grunt07 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:49 am

Ah,it was just a couple tiny spots of surface rust.Its best to catch it early cause rust dont stay the same, or get better.I learned though.

grunt07 2

Return to Troubleshooting