Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Got an Error 05 During an HDD upgrading session

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

Got an Error 05 During an HDD upgrading session

Postby Glokas » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:25 am

Well, while I was trying to upgrade a buddies OX HDD, I managed to Unlock the Master Drive and screwed everything up. I had a whole mess of 2.5 inch SATAs around, along with an adapter and 80 wire Cable, so I just kept trying em one after another. All the drives were saying Lockable but giving me an Error 16 after I tried dropping em in as the new HDD. So after one of em I noticed it was acting funny every time I tried swapping. I ended up Unlocking the Master somehow and now I’m stuck with a bunch of Error 16 2.5 SATAs and his main IDE HDD in Error 05. I of course backed up his Eeprom and everything when I did his Softmod months ago.

Is there any way I can recover this without needing to hook his original IDE drive up to an old PC? I have programs like Slayer and Avalaunch downloaded but I’m not sure how to use em. I’ve only found practically useless information for fixing it with a Softmodded online, so I came to the only place I trust, once again.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!

Fear is the Mindkiller
Glokas 2

Re: Got an Error 05 During an HDD upgrading session

Postby kaos_engr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:56 am

Error 16 - date and time were lost as the AC power was unplugged long enough that the clock capacitor discharged. If the MS dashboard is not found on the HDD to set the clock this error is displayed. This error has nothing directly to do with the HDD. It can't be fixed by using a different HDD without installing MS Dashboard to that HDD and locking the drive to the Xbox it will be installed so it can run - else error 05.

Death of the Clock Cap - Remove from 1.0-1.5 consoles

The clock cap has probably died and should be removed as it no longer works. It has most likely leaked its electrolyte all over the motherboard (MB) surface near it corroding traces. Remove it from v1.0-1.5 consoles. if it's a 1.6 console, no need as they are a different brand that has yet to leak. (Gold colored not black) The leaked electrolyte needs to be cleaned off the MB both top and bottom sides with 91%+ isopropyl alcohol and q-tips to prevent damage to traces.

Error 05

Error 05 - HDD is not locked. Softmodded Xbox's require the HDD to be locked as does a stock unmodded Xbox.

The Fix: 2 Options

You need to lock the HDD using the eeprom.bin backup you created for his Xbox.

1. You can do this on your Xbox with Chimp 261812 to lock the slave drive using the Lock with Y:\eeprom.bin option.

Set his HDD as a slave IDE device (with a SATA drive, the IDE-to-SATA adapter must have a MASTER/SLAVE jumper for this to work, not all do, skip to option 2). You'll need a Molex power splitter to power both HDDs at Xbox power on. After booting your console, upload his Xbox's eeprom.bin backup to Y:\, start Chimp 261812 and when asked swap the DVD IDE connector to his HDD. Go into the Slave drive options, under the locking menu use the Y:\eeprom.bin option. This will lock a slave attached HDD with another Xbox's eeprom.bin HDDKey. This data is read from the other Xbox's eeprom.bin file uploaded to your Xbox's Y drive - Y:\eeprom.bin.
  2. You could also use XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or 3. You'll need a USB-to-IDE/SATA/combo adapter with external power for 3.5" drives to connect the HDD to a PC. No old PC with IDE interface necessary. You can use a current PC with USB and a USB-to-IDE/SATA/combo HDD interfaces adapter to lock the hard drive.

Download either beta 2 or beta 3 release, extract to a folder on your PC's HDD and copy his Xbox's eeprom.bin file into this extraction folder (note: all lowercase filename, rename if not so). Run XboxHDM23USB's xboxhd.bat batch file by double-clicking on it in Windows Explorer. Answer the security and UAC prompts to allow it to run and have administrative permissions.

XboxHDM23USB_Beta_3_Menu.JPG
      Use the main menu option #1 to verify that the HDD was detected by the software, next #3 LOCK hard drive then #5 Verify the lock status to double check that the drive is in fact locked. Next, press Enter to exit XboxHDM23USB, disconnect the HDD and reinstall it in his Xbox.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kaos_engr 7

Postby Glokas » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:55 pm

Ahh, Kaos, you always got the answers man. Question though: Do you think it’s those 2.5 SATAS causing the Error 16? Cause his regular Stock HDD was working no problem till I screwed it up. Also I thought about trying to build one of those 2.5 SATAs up with my buddies EEPROM and other HDD information that I have on my Laptop. I can connect SATA to my Laptop no problem, just not IDE. Once I’m home from work I’m going to try your suggestions definitely. I can’t believe I did that.

Thank you for that method you mentioned. I didn’t see that Anywhere online. You always hook me up!!!!

Fear is the Mindkiller
Glokas 2

Postby kaos_engr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:03 pm

No, only reason for error 16 is from the fact that there's not a copy of the MS dashboard on the HDD to be able to set the clock after it has been lost - power unplugged - or the softmod installed doesn't ignore that error and it too has no MS dashboard files on the C drive to set the date/time.

As configured, XboxHDM23USB Betas require connection of the HDD via a USB-to-SATA adapter not direct to a SATA port. Older XboxHDM versions scan the IDE bus, not SATA ports.

You can use XboxHDM23USB Beta 3 to install a no game disc softmod to the HDD. One that is to ignore the clock loss. The Beta 3 release is pre-configured - requires no additional files added to the hdm/C and hdm/E folders. You only need a copy of the eeprom.bin file from the Xbox the HDD will be installed in added to the root folder where it was extracted.

After running option #2 Launch Xboxhdm to build the HDD. Return to the main menu, LOCK the HDD and exit. Install the HDD in the Xbox. Power on the Xbox and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the softmod installation.

kaos_engr 7

Postby kaos_engr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:26 pm

Glokas wrote:Ahh, Kaos, you always got the answers man. Question though: Do you think it’s those 2.5 SATAS causing the Error 16?

Not directly, but the drive has to be partitioned and have the MS dashboard files installed on it first. Error 16 - clock loss and BIOS can't start the dashboard to set it; thus, the error is presented.

Cause his regular Stock HDD was working no problem till I screwed it up.

Relock the HDD with Chimp 261812 on your Xbox. Copy the EEPROM backup, eeprom.bin, to the Y drive's root directory.

Also I thought about trying to build one of those 2.5 SATAs up with my buddies EEPROM and other HDD information that I have on my Laptop. I can connect SATA to my Laptop no problem, just not IDE.

Has to be connected via a USB-to-SATA adapter. :(

Once I’m home from work I’m going to try your suggestions definitely. I can’t believe I did that.

Thank you for that method you mentioned. I didn’t see that Anywhere online. You always hook me up!!!!

You're welcome.

kaos_engr 7

Postby Glokas » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:09 pm

Oh ok. I see. First I gotta get his original Stock HDD back in working order before I fix the Error 16 issue, if I can. I also noticed that every time I did the Scan IDE devices or tried to check Security status, the new 2.5 HDDs did not display properly at all. When I did my brothers OX HDD upgrade, it displayed his 3.5 Hitachi SATA perfectly. During all these ones I tried, they had just a jumble or letters and numbers, with some of the Technical info displayed. But no Name or Model Number, it was all gibberish really.

I also think that I may have messed something up during one of the HDD upgrade attempts, which is how I ended up unlocking his Stock HDD. During the 3rd or 4th HDD try I noticed they were all saying Lockable, but weren’t Locking after the Cloning process was done, which was taking a little over an hour for each HDD (Should that be taking that long?). But yeah, during that process I decided to try and check to see if a 2.5 HDD I was testing would Lock and Unlock, even though it said it was Lockable. So I tried it before I cloned and it said it wasn’t locked. This was all done in the Chimp Menu and I Locked and Unlocked that 2.5 Slave HDD from the Motherboard. After that I went to try another HDD. I noticed that everything was working good while the Stock Drive and DVD Drive was hooked in, but when I swapped in the next HDD I wanted to test, it was like everything vanished from the Stock Drive. Like I didn’t have Anything but Text Editir in my Apps Folder. I even checked everything through FileZilla cause it was still connected, and it was like I was looking at a brand new drive. Do you think that when I was Locking and Unlocking the new HDD I was testing that it somehow made any new HDD I hooked up the Master? I even tried a fresh HDD that I hadn’t Cloned anything too, or tried to Lock or Unlock. I also made sure the SATA to IDE adapter had the Jumper on Slave. That’s when I think I messed everything up. I was trying to figure that out and I’m pretty sure I Unlocked the Master HDD (his Stock) and then forgot to try and re lock it.

I know this all sounds convoluted as hell, but I screwed up, plain and simple. I was burned out after hours of testing HDDs and going down dead end paths online.

Fear is the Mindkiller
Glokas 2

Postby Rocky5 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Make sure the IDE cable is a 80 wire variant or you will have issues.

More than likely your issue if you’re using the stock cable.

Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5 8

Postby Glokas » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:27 pm

Hey Rocky. Nope, I definitely got the 80 wire cable. I ordered 3 of those with 3 Adapters when I decided to upgrade HDDs for my brother, my buddy and myself. I already did a 1TB for my brother that worked perfectly with the 80s I got. I noticed a bit of overall transfer speed increase too. At least it seems that way.

I appreciate the suggestion though. It’s funnybjoe many online tutorials don’t bother to mention that.

Fear is the Mindkiller
Glokas 2

Postby Glokas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:21 am

Well. Fixed his Stock Drive. Thanks so much for the method Kaos. But now all the drives that I had previously Cloned from his Stock aren’t giving 16, they’re giving an Error 13.

Any idea what could cause these errors to jump around like this?

Fear is the Mindkiller
Glokas 2

Return to Troubleshooting