Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Softmodded 1.6 But Games Seem Stretched 4:3 instead of 16:9

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

Softmodded 1.6 But Games Seem Stretched 4:3 instead of 16:9

Postby steocullen91 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi. I have a couple of softmodded 1.6 xbox consoles. I am trying to get Rayman 3 to run in 16:9 but the game seems to be launching in stratched 4:3. Im using component and I have both the MS Dash and unleashx set to widescreen. I also have the xbox set to NTSC.

I live in a PAL area and I own the game but I've tried an iso too just to find out. It says 16:9 is supported yet it just looks stretched compared to the PS2, GameCube and PC versions.

On PS2 and GameCube there's video options in the game settings to change the aspect ratio but the xbox only allows this from the dashboard. Does anyone have any idea why the games would do this instead of launching in widescreen?

I also have a weird problem with the fan speed but that's not as important for now. I used hexen to update the softmod recently also.

steocullen91 2

Re: Softmodded 1.6 But Games Seem Stretched 4:3 instead of 1

Postby HisDivineShadow » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:47 pm

A lot of XBox games it seems don't actually support true WS 16:9. They display OK-ish in 16:9, sometimes better in 'panoramic' or whatever your TV calls full screen mode. But as you've found in WS they look and are stretched to fit and in 'panoramic' you'll lose picture area.

There's still an ongoing project creating 720p and WS patches for some of these games. It is mostly for the NTSC versions though and I've just checked the list of patches and unfortunately Rayman 3 PAL or NTSC is not currently amongst them.

Google list of widescreen patches for Xbox original and you should be able to find the info yourself.

Interested in your fan speed 'issue'. With UnleashX when you change it up in the system settings menu it will, usually, go to up to maximum speed immediately after you Save and Exit. That is normal if that is what you're worried about.

Rebooting, usually, will NOT, effect the speed change. Generally you have to Shutdown and restart to fix the new speed.

I'm not sure about this but In that case the use of a protected softmod ie. Shadow C and Virtual Eeprom may come into play too but you'd have to ask somebody who uses a protected softmod with UnleashX about that.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby steocullen91 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:04 am

Thanks for the reply. I find it kind of odd though that it doesn't properly support 16:9 since it has better graphics on xbox than PS2 has. On both GameCube and PS2 there's a 16:9 option so I just find it weird that the version of Rayman 3 on the console capable of the higher resolution doesn't have 16:9.

I'm sure someone will stumble across a way eventually but I do have it on the other platforms also. I just kind of prefer the xbox especially for the controller. I can just use an xbox one controller for PC to play it for now but I'm interested in trying to get the xbox version running in widescreen. I'll keep checking around and googling hoping someone can come up with a way :)

steocullen91 2

Postby vasilios82 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:35 am

Install XBMC dashboard replacement and choose option for 16:9,if I remember well it also has option to force all games to be played on that.

vasilios82 2

Custom Title: ICXC NIKA

Postby steocullen91 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:46 am

I'm thinking XBMC might be the better dashboard in the long run if I set it up properly. I tried the WS hack for Sonic Heroes and that works fine so I guess for Rayman 3, it's up to me to somehow find the line in the hex editor. I still don't get why wikipedia says that's a 16:9 game when it's just stretched but it's 16:9 on other platforms. Then Sonic Heroes is another one that said 16:9 but it wasn't so I'm not sure what they were doing tbh.

I'll just keep playing around and try find a way since no matter what I launch the game with it just looks like 4:3 stretched on xbox.

steocullen91 2

Postby HisDivineShadow » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:18 pm

As I said there appear to be a lot of games like that.

No PAL Xbox game I know actually says it supports WS on the box and of the three original, natively NTSC games I own only two tick support for HDTV 480p. Darkwatch is the one that does not and at that hex edit web site there is indeed a WS/HD patch for it.

I have PAL Rayman 3 too and I've just been through the info on the box, manual and started the game again. My TV on Auto (format) displays the game in 4:3 even though the Xbox is set to WS NTSC and I'm pretty it is using 480p. The dashboard displays in widescreen under the same setting so it must be the game controlling the 4:3 display format.

That suggests the PAL game IS natively 4:3 and even in NTSC mode does not support WS. We'd need to see the original NTSC box to see what the NTSC version says about HDTV 480p support and whether it actually does.

The 'alternative display' wiki for original Xbox games might say it supports WS but that appears to be wrong for the PAL version even when displayed at 480p on a NTSC set console. I've always wondered if PAL version NTSC support is full in all cases - maybe it is not.

It does not display offensively stretched in WS though although I will admit the TV I'm using is one where I can easily enter the service menu and adjust the geometry. It is set up for best full screen gaming display, particularly with Xbox games, so might well look better than on other TVs.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby steocullen91 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:11 pm

Seems to be the case then that it's only 4:3. Here's the NTSC cover that was actually on this site:

Cover - Rayman 3 - Hoodlum Havoc.jpg

That says HDTV 480p if that's what you mean. But yeah I'll admit it isn't the worst looking even in the stretched format compared to some games, I'm just used to seeing it in WS on everything else so was wondering. If a way is ever figured out to do it though it'd be great :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steocullen91 2

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:52 pm

I actually checked the NTSC version here too and saw that it shows HDTV 480p support.

I burned the game and as far as it is possible compared it to my original PAL version and I really couldn't see any difference. Both play 480p but both look slightly stretched in WS.

I'd forgotten just what a good looking game this is and one that plays well too. Like most games of its type I balk at the kiddy level story and characters but as far as the gameplay goes it is imaginative, engaging, quality entertainment.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby steocullen91 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:31 pm

Yeah I love the game even though I'm 26 :lol:

The story isn't exactly great because it's literally all about taking Globox to the doctors but I love the gameplay and the scoring system it has. I find it fun managing to pull off those tricky combos and breaking 100k in some levels :P

I guess it's far from the worst looking game stretched too, some games look really bad stretched. I'd still like to figure it out in a hex editor at some stage just because why not, but yeah I think it plays and looks really well. There are some levels with frame drops but the fact that it can look that good and maintain 60fps so much is nothing short of amazing imo.

steocullen91 2

Postby steocullen91 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:05 am

Sorry for the double but just wanted to let you know I did it, I figured it out. I spent hours at it experimenting with a hex editor because that's how much I love this game :)

Using a hex editor on the default.xbe file, at offset 1CF44C I replaced
Code: Select all
00 00 40 3F AB AA AA 3F

with
40 40 40 3F 80 80 80 3F

Screenshots

steocullen91 2

Postby HisDivineShadow » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:20 am

Wow, good work.

I've just used custom WS/HD patches on Xbox games up until now; I'll have to try hex editing this myself using your information. I downloaded a suitable hex editor months ago but I've been putting off using it so this seems like it would be a good thing to try doing first.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby steocullen91 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:16 pm

I was trying to use OgXHD but it was just making cutscenes stretch temporarily even wider than 4:3 then reverting back to 4:3, so I literally went through each address the program changed until I found the one that changed the cut scenes. Then I used some trial and error and got the cutscenes to work, but it was still reverting to 4:3 after the cutscene. I kept messing about with it for hours and eventually found the byte that changes the screen width. I could just share the xbe but since I already done the harder part it's as simple as using the hex editor and just replacing 00 with 40 and AA with 80.

This works

0040403F ABAA803F

That way you're literally only changing 2 bytes. The only problem and it's not really so much a problem is that enemies or some collectibles will turn invisible if they get too far to the edge of the field of view, since it's wider than normal. I personally wouldn't view this as an issue since they have to be at the very edge of the screen anyway before it happens :)

steocullen91 2

Postby steocullen91 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:37 am

Just to let you guys know I came up with a better fix and you won't have the glitch with rendering on the screen edges.

Instead of the above, do this:

Find:

D9 44 24 10 68 00 00 00 3F

Replace with:

D9 44 24 10 68 00 00 1C 3F

This will make the game widescreen, but you will have a rendering problem on both screen edges where stuff will disappear onscreen. Apply this render fix:

Find:
8B 46 58 D9 5C 24 18 68 00 00 00 3F

Replace with:
8B 46 58 D9 5C 24 18 68 00 00 1C 3F

Screenshot comparison (with capture card this time):
Rayman 3 Xbox.png

Rayman 3 Xbox Wide.png

Note that the menu font is no longer widescreen but I'm willing to make that compromise :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steocullen91 2

Return to Troubleshooting