Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

reducing Iso file size

Having hardware or Software issues with your Xbox console? Ask our experts here!

reducing Iso file size

Postby djm99 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Hey guys, does anyone know of a list of items that can be deleted from particular games to reduce the size of the Iso file. I'm trying to cram in all my xbox racing games on a small hard drive. I know i can delete movie files and music files, but on some games the game fails to load. I had found some games that had unnecessary files already deleted, but can't remember where i found them.

Cheers

djm99 Newbie

Re: reducing Iso file size

Postby ZX81v2 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:36 pm

You may have to make replacement files for the ones you remove that just contain the header data for a file type. Sort of a 0 second movie clip in principle that takes the place of the file you remove. Simple HALT on Error would cause lock/crash
it looks for the file, can't find it, crashes. Where as if you leave a small file in it's place the game loads as it found the file, even though it contains no active data.
Another type of file is called PADDING or a DUMMY file. Space fillers basically.... They contain no active data... However, some companies got smart to this and add a few bytes of active data into the dummy file, which if removed, breaks the data read and kills the game load.

These are both things I have found on PS2, but I am sure XBOX uses same/similar methods
Best advice - Get a HEX Editor to check dummy data files just incase.. HxD is very good for this

ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:43 pm

The Updater.xbe and dashupdate.xbe can, and in the latter case should be deleted anyway, particularly with softmods where running that XBE will ruin the softmod quite effectively. :(

If the download or the ISO has a default_org.xbe that is usually the original default.xbe before DVD2Xbox ACL patched it. That can be removed too.

But in all cases you should check the game still actually works after their removal. Removing these XBEs will not free up much space though.

The real space hogs are the demos that some games include. I've seen total demo files for other games which are almost the same size as the game. One I've just checked: Jade Empire has a Conker L&R demo package that takes up 360+MB.

You haveto be careful removing stuff even like that because any main game menu will include the option to run the demo and if you do try it may just not work but could crash the game.

ZX81v2's interesting post about making smaller replacement files to prevent that may be applicable if it does cause a crash.

You maybe able to remove the atrac.xmv too (I think it is short for attract and can be spelt differently but it is something like that). They're usually the FMV that runs if you leave the game idling on the main dash. Whether its removal would crash the game I don't know as I have not tried doing that myself but it might be worth testing because they can be quite large files.

They are often found in folders marked as "media" or "video" and can be in other formats too like .bik or .bk2 (Bink video).

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby ZX81v2 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:46 pm

^^ BIK video files can be downgraded using tools via Google Search

ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby Albatross » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:59 pm

A couple of downloads here that might help -
Xbox File Ripping Info Deletion Offline Backups
just open the index.html file in your web browser.
DVD2Xbox v0.7.8 R2 with 216 acl files
The acl files included in the above dvd2xbox package are created from the Xbox File Ripping Information pages.

Albatross 2

Postby aramchek » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:12 pm

I often delete foreign languages, but always leave original files on laptop till tested on xbox, but 99% of the time isn't a problem

aramchek 2

Postby scorpNZ » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:27 am

How many gig over the drives capacity are you & leaving at least 10% of the capacity as free space

scorpNZ 6

Postby Preston2011 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:11 am

Ideally you will need a bigger drive! Can we help you achieve this?

Preston2011 6

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:56 am

HisDivineShadow wrote:The updater.xbe and dashupdate.xbe can, and in the latter case should be deleted anyway, particularly with softmods where running that XBE will ruin the softmod quite effectively. :(

If the download or the ISO has a default_org.xbe that is usually the original default.xbe before DVD2Xbox ACL patched it. That can be removed too.

Made a small typo in the above: that should have read default.xbe_org ie. what DVD2Xbox renames the original default.xbe after ACL processing.

BTW I've done some checking and the dashupdate.xbe, when included, is actually between 50MB and 55MB so the space saved total after removing that from a number of games could be significant.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby EarthwormJames » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:00 am

In XBMC it lets you sort games by size. I do that then target large games I've already played. Be honest whether I will ever play them again, then make some cuts. Sometimes I hang onto games for sentimental reasons, like old novel. Best to just delete them.

My HDD is pretty small too.

EarthwormJames 6

Custom Title: Lumbricus Extraterrestris

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:54 pm

It might be interesting or fun to do this a couple times, but you don't want to be doing this many times it gets really tedious, your chances of your rebuilt game working are low, and you will spend a lot of time on each game...
I recommend leave the ISO's unmodified and get bigger Hard Drive

Dildo_Schwaggins 5

Return to Troubleshooting