Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Is the Glucoboy the rarest released gameboy accessory?

Is the Glucoboy the rarest released gameboy accessory?

Postby mynamedoesntmatter » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:49 pm

The Glucoboy is a device made for the Gameboy Advanced but also works on the DS, given it has a GBA cartridge slot. The device was made to encourage diabetics to check their blood sugar by turning it into a game. The better the blood sugar level, the more points you get. Obviously it was a niche product and from what I understand, wasn't all that cheap. On top of that, the little press it had died down after 2007. None of the games that I guess were built into the device has been dumped or even shown off on Youtube. This begs the question, is the Glucoboy the rarest released gameboy accessory? I don't know, but if not it must be up there, right?

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/2008 ... coboy-game
https://www.engadget.com/2007/12/06/glu ... to-a-game/

I know a guy that knows a guy that knows a guy that knows a website whos founder knows a robot whos creator knows a lizerd whos owner knows another guy who knows you.
mynamedoesntmatter 2

Re: Is the Glucoboy the rarest released gameboy accessory?

Postby BlakeNES » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:54 pm

Weird. Pretty much like that Gameboy peripheral 'The Pedisedate'. It was never released, but would put kids into a sleep state before any medical procedure. crazy huh?

The Emulators I use:

Project64 2.3
ePSXe 2.0.5
FCEUX 2.2.2
Snes9X
Kega Fusion 3.6.4
Visual Boy Advance

Consoles/Handhelds i own:

Xbox 360
Nintendo Wii (Homebrew MODDED)
Nintendo DSi (w/ R4i Flash Card)
Sony PSP

MY STEAM:
BlakeNES 3

Custom Title: All-Around Gamer & dAnK FuCc mEmE

Postby tamsman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:10 pm

That is so weird . But I can see the thought behind it.

tamsman 4

Custom Title: Bacon Bacon Bacon :)

Postby cat » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:04 pm

There's a couple of snes game's aimed at diabetics done by a company called raya systems.
I had 2 of them on floppy that i used to play on my snes wikdcard with my son, captain novolin and packy and marlon.
He's been a grade 1 diabetic since 12 months, he's 18 now so as you can imagine this was a long time ago lol.
Games were fucking terrible as well, up there with tellytubbies on the ps1.

Consoles I Own

Spoiler:
My systems....

snes x 2 and 16 mb wildcard
N64
Gamecube
Wii
Master system
Megadrive x 4
Mega CD
32X
Saturn x 3
Dreamcast
Neo AES
NGCD
Neo CMVS
3DO x 2 FZ-1 and FZ-10
PS1
PS2
PS3
XBOX x3
XBOX 360
Sega nomad
Game gear
PSP x 4
GBA
DS x 2
Cocktail cab with mame
cat 7

Custom Title: shmup fan wanna try to beat me hahaha, good luck..

Postby wakinafuf » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:53 pm

i dunno for the glucoboy... but you had this bass detector you could plug on your gameboy, heard of it in some videos but never actually saw one irl. well same goes for the glucoboy, but hell....a diabete measuring gadget on gameboy.... i'd not trust that kind of thing, i'd just go for a regular tester given by the hospital.

My actual BlackList : Electronic Arts, Activision, Ubisoft, Blizzard, Capcom,Konami, Square-Enix, Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple, Sony.

Systems i own : Atari 2600, Amstrad 464 (cassette)/6128, Sufami/Famicom, NES, Master System I/II, Genesis I/II, Amiga 500/1000, Gameboy, Sufami Turbo, SNES, Gameboy Color, Mega-CD, Panasonic 3DO, Philips CD-I, Atari Jaguar, Neo-Geo, Nec PC-Engine/TurboGraphX 16, Playstation/PS-One, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Wonderswan, PS2 fat'n slim.

systems newly aquired : Commodore SX 64
wakinafuf 5

Custom Title: scourge of the retards

Postby mynamedoesntmatter » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:16 am

wakinafuf wrote:i dunno for the glucoboy... but you had this bass detector you could plug on your gameboy, heard of it in some videos but never actually saw one irl. well same goes for the glucoboy, but hell....a diabete measuring gadget on gameboy.... i'd not trust that kind of thing, i'd just go for a regular tester given by the hospital.

From what I've seen it was made or distributed by a company that makes diabetes stuff like meters and the such and I'm pretty sure it was also approved by Nintendo. Also I saw some people saying it retailed at $299, but others said they saw it at Walgreens for much less so who knows.

I know a guy that knows a guy that knows a guy that knows a website whos founder knows a robot whos creator knows a lizerd whos owner knows another guy who knows you.
mynamedoesntmatter 2

Postby OldReckless » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:51 am

Yeah, rarest and definitely one of the oddest! Though, I think the piece of GB kit that holds joint #1 place with the Glucoboy as the rarest accessory might be the Work Boy. I keep reading that it was unreleased, but I remember seeing it for sale from Console Concepts, an outfit that used to sell grey import games, consoles, peripherals and other stuff through advertisements in old games magazines. Maybe there's a few in the wild. That said, I do also recall the same company posting an ad for the Konix Multisystem...

Praise Kek!

Spoiler:
Did I say you could open this spoiler, you fiend? The temerity.
OldReckless 3

Location: I'm outside your home. Watching. Waiting. Mas..ticating...
Custom Title: Cats beware!

Postby clem24 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:01 pm

That's a wonderful game if you ask me. The fact is many people don't bother to check their blood sugar level because they don't know the dangers. Try checking your blood sugar level and compare with the blood sugar level chart and you may be surprised to find a strange figure. I always preach about this to people. Prevention is better than cure. Nice niche game.

clem24 Newbie

Return to Gameboy