Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Modded WiiU - Worth it? Exactly what is it good for?

Modded WiiU - Worth it? Exactly what is it good for?

Postby MaxRD » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:10 pm

The last modern Nintendo devices I owned were an original Wii (which I DID mod) and Nintendo DS.

Honestly, I am not as big a fan as I was in the 8-16 bit days because frankly most of the franchises defaults (Mario / Zelda / Metroid etc) just do not interest me, I have nothing against them but am more into emulation and very genre specific titles like Survival Horror these days. THAT SAID, I had almost bit on a 3DS when Resident Evil Revelations released but never did. I patiently waiting through the whole launch and fall of the WiiU as there was only ever a handful of titles that even slightly interested me. What I am into is modding consoles and doing more with them then what was intended, emulation of various systems (mostly 8-16bit stuff) as a collector as well I often get into a after it has seen it's best days so any games I do get for it are still new and fresh to me. What I am asking here though is insight and opinions especially from those who not only had and enjoyed a WiiU but also did mod it, or at least can inform me about the usefulness of software hacks and mods, is it worth it? Might it still hold interest to someone like myself who might not otherwise be interested in a stock default WiiU experience? Will it allow for homebrew, emulation etc? Keeping in mind I DO own an original Wii as well please, would it still be worth it? I am well aware of the Switch and know it is doing very well and some day I may be making similar inquires about that but for now just focusing on the WiiU, what do you think? THANKS.

My Collection
Spoiler:
NDS-Gameboy AdvanceSP-2 Xbox-2TG16-JVC X'Exe-Nintendo Wii-GP2X WIZ-GP2X Caanoo-Dingoo A320-PS2 (Phat & SLIM)-2 Gamecube-3 Dreamcast-Sega Saturn-Sega CDX-CDi-3DO-Genesis model 1-Sega Master System-FC Mobile-PS1 (Original and SLIM)-2 Colecovisions-Intellivision II-Ti99a-Atari 5200 /7800/2600/Jr./1040ste-1040stf-Commodore 64c & c64-SNES-NEO GEO CD-N64-NES-Retron3-JXD s601-s7800b-Atari 5200 VCS Adapter MODDED for Stand alone operation
MaximumRD's Hub of AWESOME !
Follow me on Twitter ! https://twitter.com/MaximumRD
MaxRD 4

Custom Title: Lover of Retro Games!

Re: Modded WiiU - Worth it? Exactly what is it good for?

Postby wakinafuf » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:07 pm

just my ponit of view : when you see the initial launch and fail of the U, the miserable game library and the very few interesting games on it... i'd say that moding a U would be as usefull as modding a Tiger Game.Com.... and if you already have a modded wii, why bother with a U ? i'm sure the wii has enough guts to emulate "recent" stuff like the ps2

My actual BlackList : Electronic Arts, Activision, Ubisoft, Blizzard, Capcom,Konami, Square-Enix, Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple, Sony.

Systems i own : Atari 2600, Amstrad 464 (cassette)/6128, Sufami/Famicom, NES, Master System I/II, Genesis I/II, Amiga 500/1000, Gameboy, Sufami Turbo, SNES, Gameboy Color, Mega-CD, Panasonic 3DO, Philips CD-I, Atari Jaguar, Neo-Geo, Nec PC-Engine/TurboGraphX 16, Playstation/PS-One, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Wonderswan, PS2 fat'n slim.

systems newly aquired : Commodore SX 64
wakinafuf 5

Custom Title: scourge of the retards

Postby SleepyFist » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:02 am

It's good for just about the same thing as a regular Wii, I'm not sure about anything specific to the WiiU portion of the console but the Wii mode still has the capability to do anything you could do on a standalone Wii, I've been meaning to re-enable GC support on mine when it finally comes home.

SleepyFist 3

Postby XamX » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:09 am

You have a Wii in the Wii U, called "vWii" and it's very easy to mod, and with that there are also all the emulators you know from the Wii plus the Wii U games of course.

- but I don't know why you should even buy a Wii U if you don't like the games by Nintendo because that's the only reason you buy a Nintendo system these days.

I bought my Wii U when Super Mario Maker came out and I wouldn't have missed that. It's such an amazing game (as well as the others by Nintendo).
Zelda: Breath of the Wild is one of THE best games I've played in my whole life (I'm gaming since 1984).

If you have a decent PC you can play most of the Wii U games on the emulator called "CEMU", give that a try if you aren't sure about the Wii U.

Well, ok. Foe-List just updated.
XamX 5

Postby VoodooVincent » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:49 am

Most definitely. I honestly don't understand people who shit on the Wii U. Opinions & all that jazz, but it has a rather solid library of games. I own over 50 physical Wii U games. While it's smaller than other game collections I own, I think 50 games is worth the Wii U's asking price. Sure, a few of them are third-parties that I already owned on other platforms & bought the Wii U versions of because they were cheap. but most of them aren't. Once you mod the Wii U, there is nearly endless fun to be had. I won't link anything or say the name because it's not exactly legal, but there's an online shop that gives full access to the entire Wii U library, including eShop games for nada. You'll be able to have access to pretty much every Wii U retail-style game & eShop game on a 1TB HDD. Don't do any larger because you're limited to, I think, 300 home menu icons. Then you'll want to have another HDD for stuff on Wii side if you plan to play Wii & Gamecube games on Wii U.

I'd put the Wii U alongside the original Wii & the original Xbox as one of my favorite consoles once modded. If you dig a modded Wii at all, you'll undoubtedly dig a modded Wii U.

Just my two cents.

Edit: Btw, there's a homebrew shop w/ a lot of cool apps which allow you to play Gamecube games directly on the Gamepad. In terms of homebrew games, there's not many, just some Snake clones & whatnot.

We won, maggle! #MAGA
VoodooVincent 6

Postby MaxRD » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:44 am

Interesting.....this is why I like getting different opinions on such topics, thank you all so far!

My Collection
Spoiler:
NDS-Gameboy AdvanceSP-2 Xbox-2TG16-JVC X'Exe-Nintendo Wii-GP2X WIZ-GP2X Caanoo-Dingoo A320-PS2 (Phat & SLIM)-2 Gamecube-3 Dreamcast-Sega Saturn-Sega CDX-CDi-3DO-Genesis model 1-Sega Master System-FC Mobile-PS1 (Original and SLIM)-2 Colecovisions-Intellivision II-Ti99a-Atari 5200 /7800/2600/Jr./1040ste-1040stf-Commodore 64c & c64-SNES-NEO GEO CD-N64-NES-Retron3-JXD s601-s7800b-Atari 5200 VCS Adapter MODDED for Stand alone operation
MaximumRD's Hub of AWESOME !
Follow me on Twitter ! https://twitter.com/MaximumRD
MaxRD 4

Custom Title: Lover of Retro Games!

Postby schmupluvr » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:36 am

Emulation wise, the WiiU doesn't (or can't) display 240p for the 8-16 bit classics/Virtual console vs the Wii does this well.
This isn't meant as a knock on the WiiU either I do like it. Since I am into CRTs, this topic comes up fairly often in the groups I lurk. This would be the only demerit I have with WiiU. (This is a CRT fanboy gripe so it might not even bother you MaxRD). Several flat panel, LCD tv's no longer output 240p which makes the point null, however the classics won't look quite as good as the OG either.

Spoiler:
PSTV Henkaku Enso, 2TB ext hdd, dualshock 4
TSOP Xbox/CoinOPS/Ninja
Colecovision w/SD
Sega-any
TG-16
NES
PS3 CECHA01
PS4 w/1TB sshd
Wii loaded

Trinitrons, D-Series JVC and Toshiba CRTs. Lucky to have 3 curved screens with Y,Pb,Pr too!
schmupluvr 5

Custom Title: Colecovision O.G./Grey Jedi

Postby ryder4life » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 am

if your into survival horror its worth it alone for fatal frame maiden of black water.

ryder4life 8

Custom Title: Gamecube Preserver

Postby kittyflin » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:15 am

the best reason with a modded wii u is to play the games on the wii u controller like a handheld,full game controls are coming very soon ,so you will be able to use the gamepad thumbsticks rather than a plugged in pro controller

kittyflin 5

Postby xcursion666 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:39 am

Alot of people like to talk crap about the wii u and the crap library of games but i think its an awesome console and the games arent that bad either i sold my first one to buy a ps4 and got another later to play mario maker and wind waker hd
i also enjoyed super mario 3d world smash bros and mario kart nintendo had alot of good first party titles plus backwards compatibility with the wii was a plus in my book so i could play no more heroes and mad world

[Guide] The PSP Emulators Bible!
a complete guide to emulators and emulation on the psp
http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8026

PSP RPGS that im currently playing
Spoiler:

xcursion666 9

Custom Title: Classic anime fan

Postby PlayDoh003 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:35 pm

With the Wii U officially dead (barring a "Just Dance 2019" release by Ubisoft), this is something that I'm most definitely interested in doing soon... Has the latest FW been cracked already? My understanding is that the surprise update dropped a few months back was specifically released to close the exploit that was previously being used.

PlayDoh003 5

Postby PlayDoh003 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Bah, sorry for the double-post, but I gotr interrupted, and wasn't able to complete the edit of my post above in time...

I also want to add that the Wii U is not as "horrible" as some make it out to be. The Console's biggest downfall was poor marketing and quick 3rd party abandonment, leading to a very dry first year, as far as game releases were concerned. The console didn't have a terrible start, but after sales dropped off a cliff about 6 months in, it's almost like Nintendo phoned it in while they began working on NX. That being said, Nintendo's effort to bring good games was commendable, and I'd say that just about the entire library of Nintendo published games (about 30) is worth owning on Wii U for sure - I really would only rule out the Animal Crossings amiibo Festival, and Mario Party 10. Look at a few of the 3rd party releases, and there are a few gems there as well - so yeah, a good 35-40 games (out of 149 released physically, if my inventory system is correct) worth owning for sure! FYI, this is coming from someone who managed to collect an entire retail release Wii U library.

PlayDoh003 5

Postby ryder4life » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:14 pm

PlayDoh003 wrote:With the Wii U officially dead (barring a "Just Dance 2019" release by Ubisoft), this is something that I'm most definitely interested in doing soon... Has the latest FW been cracked already? My understanding is that the surprise update dropped a few months back was specifically released to close the exploit that was previously being used.

That update didn't close it. Just blocked some exploits but there are other websites to use now on latest FW to install haxchi or launch homebrew channel from.

ryder4life 8

Custom Title: Gamecube Preserver

Postby donaldduck » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:09 pm

It is worth it, the wiiu got many exclusives, can emulate a whole lot of systems and is super easy to mod, wich give you acces to the full wiiu library, wii, gamecube and every system nintendo ever made, except switch. The gamecube is in 1080p and looks amazing. Also the gamecube is a system with a lot of exclusives, wich are, from my point of view, still worth my time.

Personally i'm running neo geo cd, sega cd, pc engine turbografx cd, mame, nds injects on my big screen + touch screen on the wiiu pad, it's just great. But like some mentioned above me, if you don't like nintendo games at all, maybe a ps3 would even be better, not sure.

I would advise anybody to get a wiiu but maybe i'm just a fanboy. Owned every system nintendo ever make and always enjoyed it, the wiiu got xenoblade, monster hunter 3 ultimate, breath of the wild and many more exclusives. Also it got hundreds of indie games on it, wich you can grab for free. How much should a system offer before it's worth it ^^

donaldduck Newbie

Return to Other