Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Thrustmaster Freestyler Bike controller

Thrustmaster Freestyler Bike controller

Postby Conversus_W_Vans » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:39 pm

Hey everyone, I bought a Thrustmaster Freestyler bike handlebar controller (kinda for free though :p) to use with some arcade emulators (hence being in the MAME/Arcade thread). Being an rare controller, who owns one and does it control well compared to an arcade handlebar (like you see on Arctic Thunder, etc.)?
http://www.telecommandercorp.com/links/ ... R-soft.jpg

My main game of interest to use it with was Harley-Davidson & LA Riders, which runs pretty well on newer development builds of the Supermodel (Model 3) emulator. There are no arcades in my area that still run the game and wanted to recreate the arcade experience of it at home, since I don't have the space for a full cab right now.

Thanks! :)

Conversus_W_Vans 2

Re: Thrustmaster Freestyler Bike controller

Postby XamX » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:44 pm

A few years ago I was also interested in buying one but it always looked just like a toy and I didn't know if it's worth it.

Anyway, if it's working all you need to do is set it up in your "Supermodel.ini" config file. Open that file with your text editor or wordpad and map all your buttons and axis and then set the range angle to ~180 here "InputJoy1XSaturation = 180" (I don't know how far the controller goes, try something from 172 to 210 and choose what feels best for all games like Hang-On, Manx TT and L.A. Riders)

Well, ok. Foe-List just updated.
F*ck your BULLSHIT.
XamX 5

Postby Conversus_W_Vans » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:47 pm

XamX wrote:Anyway, if it's working all you need to do is set it up in your "Supermodel.ini" config file. Open that file with your text editor or wordpad and map all your buttons and axis and then set the range angle to ~180 here "InputJoy1XSaturation = 180" (I don't know how far the controller goes, try something from 172 to 210 and choose what feels best for all games like Hang-On, Manx TT and L.A. Riders)

Yep. I wasn't aware about the range angle setting but I do edit the configuration file often for my Supermodel. It will be much easier to config your game once Bart makes the GUI later. Thanks ;)

Conversus_W_Vans 2

Postby Conversus_W_Vans » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:36 am

Well, the Freestyler arrived today!
So far, it's really slick. Very plug and play. Just hoping it won't break or get frayed.

Some of the nice features it has:
- Many buttons, ideal for gear shifting or changing views.
- Two brake levers (only the right one is analog)
- Two steering modes (GP or Cross). You can either steer it like a jet ski or like a superbike.
- An adjustable platform where you can place the handlebar on a desk without worrying too much about the handlebar sliding on your table. It can fit under my desk better than my Logitech MOMO Racing wheel could, which was surprising.

I've only tested it with the Harley LA Riders on Supermodel, and this thing handled the game so well to where I barely took any collisions while driving through the streets of LA on my vintage Panhead.
I've yet to test it with other bike games like Motor Raid in the Nebula Model 2 Emulator and some others in MAME. Will be testing soon.
I may record a video of it in action and share it to YouTube sometime. This thing is killer!

Conversus_W_Vans 2

Postby XamX » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:25 pm

Nice.

Try some PC games as well, like MotoGP & MXGP

Well, ok. Foe-List just updated.
F*ck your BULLSHIT.
XamX 5

Return to MAME (Arcade)