Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Can anyone help me with PC-Engine CD emulator?

Can anyone help me with PC-Engine CD emulator?

Postby shiny_ribbon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:38 am

Hey I just wanted to play Castlevania Rondo......

But I've been at it with these emulators and have had no results at all

I have "Magic Engine" and "Mednafen"

Well first off. I should say that I have 2 backups of Rondo. I have a CCD/IMG/SUB/CUE and a WAV/CUE/ISO (from TheIsoZone)

Neither works, when I mount it with Daemon Tools the WAV gives me an error and the CCD only has a CD Audio with 1 music track in it (doesn't play)

Anyway neither one is recognized by Magic Engine. I tried changing the drive letter to the Daemon Tools virtual drive but still nothing

Mednafen is incomprehensible to me. It's a command-line emulator, so I downloaded "MednaGUI" and it was really weird too!

Sorry for the long post, I just spent a long time trying to figure this all out and failed tremendously. Just wanted to play the legendary game Rondo of blood but i am out of ideas.... :lol:

shiny_ribbon 3

Re: Can anyone help me with PC-Engine CD emulator?

Postby erik1977 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:46 am

You shouldn't have to mount it with daemon tools. Magic Engine should be able to open it on it's own. Which version of magic engine are you using?

You should also use a full iso version instead of the versions with wav tracks. Like this:

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/ret ... -turbo-cd/

Edited,
Ok my bad, I forgot that Magic Engine uses Daemon Tools to mount images. But try a different ISO like I suggested and see if it works.

Last edited by eugenerobinhood1 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged 2 posts
Systems I currently own:

Spoiler:
Playstation (modchip)
Xbox 360 slim
PS3 slim

Gaming PCs:

Windows 7 64 bit desktop (Athlon II X2 250 3ghz, 2gb ram, Radeon x1650 512mb, 128gb SSD)
Windows XP 32 bit desktop (Athlon XP 2800+ 2.1ghz, Abit NF7-S, 2gb ram, Radeon X800GTO 256mb, 2x 500gb HDD)
Windows 98SE desktop (Slot 1 Pentium 3 550mhz, Asus P3B-F, 384mb ram, Geforce TI4200 128mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 12mb, 2x 40gb HDD)
Windows 95 desktop (Pentium 133mhz, Asus P/I-P55TP4XE, 40mb ram, Matrox Mystique 4mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 8mb, 10gb HDD)
DOS 6.22 laptop (486DX2 50mhz, 8mb ram, 350mb HDD)
erik1977 6

Postby OldReckless » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:16 am

Have you tried using MagicDisc to launch the game? I have Akumajou Dracula X in BIN/CUE format, and while there is a bad CD message in Magic Engine, the game runs just fine.

Praise Kek!

Spoiler:
Did I say you could open this spoiler, you fiend? The temerity.
OldReckless 3

Location: I'm outside your home. Watching. Waiting. Mas..ticating...
Custom Title: Cats beware!

Postby mrpink999 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:27 am

Magic engine needs the spdt drivers installed in Daemon to run these games proper
(option when installing DT lite)
Mount the .cue<

I personally use mednafen, Upon launch, press alt + shift + 1> set player 1 controls (in game

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/pc/ ... ui-reborn/

This will do what you want

Select emulator path, Medreborn is a bit easier to use than qmednafen for this system
You'll get the hang of it, then make a PC engine launcher
I prefer this as it is standalone, no other applications needed / no installs

Good luck

We will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers ~TiZ Staff 11:17
mrpink999 Moderator

Custom Title: Dilligaf

Postby Defx » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:20 am

For magic engine, I burned it to a cd-r and ran it from my cd drive. Works fine but you need 2 other files for it to work. Also, medanfen pc engine for xbox also runs it from drive very well

System chips? I'll bring the salsa...

Defx 6

Custom Title: The $-bird that no's none

Postby shiny_ribbon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:13 pm

mrpink999 wrote:Magic engine needs the spdt drivers installed in Daemon to run these games proper
(option when installing DT lite)

This did it, I re-installed Daemon Tools and now Magic Engine recognizes the discs. Thanks so much

I'll have to try Mednafen sometime, seems like the better choice but for now it works so i'm happy! :)

Good game for Halloween

shiny_ribbon 3

Postby shiva2004 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:06 pm

I consider mednafen "the best emulator that (almost) nobody uses", the emulator itself is fantastic but its usability is really poor, sometimes it looks deliberately designed to alienate users, but if you persevere and overcome its quircks its really good and far easier to use than what it seems at first.

shiva2004 2

Postby lunawuff » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:55 pm

I use Mednefen. I didn't mess with any settings, all I did was look up the keyboard controls and use JoyToKey. Then just drag an iso onto the Mednefen exe and away you go.

lunawuff Newbie

Postby TONKA_TUFF » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:59 am

Magic Engine is probably your best option if you want to use cheats with PCE CD's, but you'd still need to use a real or virtual drive to play these types of games because.......reasons. Aside from the fact that the developers of this emulator want you to pay to use it (huge party foul), for whatever reason, the developers also refuse to code the ability to play CD games directly from the file itself, like Kega Fusion does with Sega CD. I guess that would be too convenient. Don't get me wrong, it's a great emulator, probably the best for the console, but odd design choices like these have always rubbed me the wrong way. So the pirates want you to pay to be a pirate too, but don't want to endorse piracy too much, so they force people to use actual media or virtual devices for CD-based games? Makes perfect sense.

If you don't care about cheats, your easiest solution is Retroarch with the PCE Engine Fast core, which I believe is also based on Mednefen. Unlike actual Mednefen though, it uses the fairly simple UI of Retroarch, plus you can play the game directly from file with no virtual devices needed. Just make sure you place your bios in the bios directory. Factor in that Retroarch also allows you to play other systems too (SNES, NES, Arcade, Genesis, etc.), is absolutely free, has been ported to almost every platform, and supports netplay, you can't beat it.

TONKA_TUFF 2

Return to Other