Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

psx emulator + s-video + old crt tv = best solution?

Discuss Everything Related to the PlayStation 1 Here!

psx emulator + s-video + old crt tv = best solution?

Postby shwoaps » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:56 pm

If i use psx 1.3 (or epsxe) emulator, through s-video output on old crt tv + with good gamepad, will i have practically same thing as real psx(even better - no cd problem, no chipping, save management)?

----
As i understand the biggest psx emulator problem is that it outputs to high resolution tv/monitor.
Games are 200p or something and we want them to look nice in 1080p.

A lot of people are saying how horrible psx games look on emulator compared to real deal.
For example "Gran turismo 2" i think most will agree that it looks the best on old crt tv. (on emulator with high graphics it looks like crap, because you can see all its shortcomings).

But otherwise, psx emulation is more or less perfect?
Or real hardware has something in this situation, that emulator does not have?

The first psx model had superb audio quality that i think emulators can't reproduce(or you need really expensive audio card), but they are practically not useful because of cd problems. And later models audio output is nothing special.

I'm thinking of buying psx, but at this point don't really see reason.

shwoaps 3

Re: psx emulator + s-video + old crt tv = best solution?

Postby The_Codstr » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:02 pm

S-video outputs on GPU's are usually an afterthought, they're less than perfect and a lot of the time they just route a composite only output because it's cheaper. Do you by any chance have SCART? It's probably the best solution, VGA is natively RGB by design, whack a timing clock into the mix and you have something that would fit a CRT and look "legit"

Languishing in the 'zones since March 2008
The_Codstr 6

Custom Title: Ex isozone moderator, current isozone funny geezah

Postby shwoaps » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Yes, i do have scart.

>>whack a timing clock into the mix.

Maybe some info about how to do it? Quick google search did not return anything.

To the main point, will this effectively replace real hwd?

I'm really newb with component, rgb, composite. I was always emu guy, but time came to grow up :).

shwoaps 3

Postby TuffasGong » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:04 pm

a lot of the time they just route a composite only output because it's cheaper
That is entirely false for the PSX. I have my PSX hooked up to a S-Video/RCA cable and when I use the RCA input for lightgun games the quality of the image is greatly diminished from S-Video.

Systems I own:
Spoiler:
NES w/ Everdrive N8
SNES w/ Sd2SNES
N64 w/ Everdrive64 v 2.5
Sega Gamegear w/ Everdrive GG
Sega Genesis - Model 1 and 2 w/ Everdrive MD
Sega CD - Model 2
3DO - FZ-10
Sega Saturn - Model 1 and 2 w/ PseudoSaturn Kai
Sony Playstation - Model 1 mod-chipped
2 Sony PlayStation 2 - PHAT 1tb and 750gb w/ FMCB
Sega Dreamcast
2 OG Xbox softmodded w/ 2tb and 320gb HDD
WII softmodded with 1tb external
TuffasGong 3

Custom Title: Is a foolish dog, barks at a flying bird

Postby shwoaps » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:02 pm

That is entirely false for the PSX. I have my PSX hooked up to a S-Video/RCA cable and when I use the RCA input for lightgun games the quality of the image is greatly diminished from S-Video.

As i understand, you are saying, that you are playing with REAL psx. And REAL psx s-video output is better than RCA(composite?).

@The_Codstr is talking about pc s-video output. And even if you are talking about pc s-video output, @The_Codstr said, that *in most cases* pc s-video is composite quality. But that does not mean, that there are no good gpus. Maybe you have that good gpu, that outputs real s-video output.

But, please, can anybody answer, will pc emulator plus crt tv will give me the same visual feel as real hwd?
Why people are using ps2 for it? As i understand Ps2 is not really good for ps1 games. Are they just lazy, or something else?
I did tried psx emulator on original xbox through scart on old small quality sony crt tv. I think that that pal xbox scart outputs composite.
I did not really like how psx games looked thought...

Low quality videos(xvid) looks amazing though on that tv, compared to pc monitor.

shwoaps 3

Return to PSX Chat