Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

One of the most interesting PS1 Survival Horror games ever!

Discuss Everything Related to the PlayStation 1 Here!

One of the most interesting PS1 Survival Horror games ever!

Postby St1ka » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:22 pm

Hi everyone,

This week I reviewed Fear Effect for the PS1. This game featured cell-shaded graphics, FMV backgrounds and dual weapon wielding during a time where most of these things were still not in vogue.

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy the video!

Check out my YouTube channel:
St1ka 3

Re: One of the most interesting PS1 Survival Horror games ev

Postby cat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:59 pm

Great game, you'll have to review the follow up next, retro helix, with the infamous elevator bit lol.
Spoiler:

Consoles I Own

Spoiler:
My systems....

snes x 2 and 16 mb wildcard
N64
Gamecube
Wii
Master system
Megadrive x 4
Mega CD
32X
Saturn x 3
Dreamcast
Neo AES
NGCD
Neo CMVS
3DO x 2 FZ-1 and FZ-10
PS1
PS2
PS3
XBOX x3
XBOX 360
Sega nomad
Game gear
PSP x 4
GBA
DS x 2
Cocktail cab with mame
cat 7

Custom Title: shmup fan wanna try to beat me hahaha, good luck..

Postby sasapinjic » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:10 pm

Great rewiew, newer play Fear Efect, looks fun, reminds me on Parasite Eve 2 a bit (by game stayle not by story), altough PE is nearly flawless in my opinion.

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(LightningBoltScumbag)

Postby mrneo240 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Why is your video zoomed in then surrounded by a garbage filter?

I love your intro though and the content was good.

mrneo240 2

Postby schmupluvr » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:31 am

Another enjoyable review. :)
Can't give rep points.:(
Anyone that does this deserves it.

:lovetiz:

Spoiler:
PSTV Henkaku Enso, 2TB ext hdd, dualshock 4
TSOP Xbox/CoinOPS/Ninja
Colecovision w/SD
Sega-any
TG-16
NES
PS3 CECHA01
PS4 w/1TB sshd
Wii loaded

Trinitrons, D-Series JVC and Toshiba CRTs. Lucky to have 3 curved screens with Y,Pb,Pr too!
schmupluvr 5

Custom Title: Colecovision O.G./Grey Jedi

Postby eugenerobinhood1 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:25 am

Another great review St1ka! :P

eugenerobinhood1 Moderator

Custom Title: TIZ Rocks!

Postby FFTHEWINNER » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:23 am

nice! will watch :)

FFTHEWINNER 9

Postby erik1977 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:45 am

I played this back in early 2000s along with the sequel. Don't remember much, but I remember it being good. :D

Systems I currently own:

Spoiler:
Playstation (modchip)
Xbox 360 slim
PS3 slim

Gaming PCs:

Windows 7 64 bit desktop (Athlon II X2 250 3ghz, 2gb ram, Radeon x1650 512mb, 128gb SSD)
Windows XP 32 bit desktop (Athlon XP 2800+ 2.1ghz, Abit NF7-S, 2gb ram, Radeon X800GTO 256mb, 2x 500gb HDD)
Windows 98SE desktop (Slot 1 Pentium 3 550mhz, Asus P3B-F, 320mb ram, Geforce TI4200 128mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 12mb, 2x 40gb HDD)
Windows 95 desktop (Pentium 133mhz, Asus P/I-P55TP4XE, 40mb ram, Matrox Mystique 4mb, 3DFX Voodoo 2 8mb, 10gb HDD)
DOS 6.22 laptop (486DX2 50mhz, 8mb ram, 350mb HDD)
erik1977 6

Postby duwen » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:50 am

Back in the day I wrote it off as a bizarre Tomb Raider (which did dual-wielding way earlier)/Resident Evil hybrid, but when I eventually did get around to playing it I realised that it's actually a very cool game in it's own right.

Another good video St1ka!

duwen 3

Custom Title: 絶対領域

Postby HisDivineShadow » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Have to disagree, I found this and the sequel mediocre entries into the survival horror genre. They were really only hyped because of the mild (very mild) alternative 'relationship' included. That was considered daring at the time but like most such forays into that sort of territory in gaming, feeble then and even more so now.

That got the two games noticed more than they deserved but they've been hyped on the back of this ever since.

I thought both games looked pretty ugly compared to the best examples of this type but the main problem I had is with the camera positioning. Real old school, deliberately hiding the presence of enemies until you moved into the same fixed camera frame. That 'trick' becomes old very quickly and I've always hated it.

In true survival horror there's some excuse but in a more action orientated game like this with a lot of shooting the camera and what you're shown is key. I found it very tiresome.

Games like Dino Crisis but particularly Dino Crisis 2 did this sort of thing with pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed cameras far better.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby St1ka » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:53 pm

cat wrote:Great game, you'll have to review the follow up next, retro helix, with the infamous elevator bit lol.
Spoiler:

Worry not, I plan to ^^

sasapinjic wrote:Great rewiew, newer play Fear Efect, looks fun, reminds me on Parasite Eve 2 a bit (by game stayle not by story), altough PE is nearly flawless in my opinion.

I've actually never played Parasite Eve, mostly because the first game never made it to Europe

mrneo240 wrote:Why is your video zoomed in then surrounded by a garbage filter?

I love your intro though and the content was good.

It's because old games were displayed in 4:3 but YouTube and current monitors are displayed in 16:9. This means I essentially had 3 choices:

Leave the huge black screen on the border
Stretch the image to fill all of the screen, but distorting the gamplay view
Or use the filter I use now.

In the end I believe this was the best scenario

schmupluvr wrote:Another enjoyable review. :)
Can't give rep points.:(
Anyone that does this deserves it.

:lovetiz:

Haha, thank you! I try! It's a shame my channel seems to be stagnant these days, but oh well

eugenerobinhood1 wrote:Another great review St1ka! :P

Thank you! :D

FFTHEWINNER wrote:nice! will watch :)

Thank you kind sir! :D

duwen wrote:Back in the day I wrote it off as a bizarre Tomb Raider (which did dual-wielding way earlier)/Resident Evil hybrid, but when I eventually did get around to playing it I realised that it's actually a very cool game in it's own right.

Another good video St1ka!

Well, I know that Tomb Raider allows you to use two weapons, but I'm not sure if I'd call it dual wielding, because they act as just one weapon, meaning you can't fire them independently and you won't have different ammo amounts for each gun.

HisDivineShadow wrote:Have to disagree, I found this and the sequel mediocre entries into the survival horror genre. They were really only hyped because of the mild (very mild) alternative 'relationship' included. That was considered daring at the time but like most such forays into that sort of territory in gaming, feeble then and even more so now.

That got the two games noticed more than they deserved but they've been hyped on the back of this ever since.

I thought both games looked pretty ugly compared to the best examples of this type but the main problem I had is with the camera positioning. Real old school, deliberately hiding the presence of enemies until you moved into the same fixed camera frame. That 'trick' becomes old very quickly and I've always hated it.

In true survival horror there's some excuse but in a more action orientated game like this with a lot of shooting the camera and what you're shown is key. I found it very tiresome.

Games like Dino Crisis but particularly Dino Crisis 2 did this sort of thing with pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed cameras far better.

I understand your point. Fear Effect is definitely not perfect, but I always did enjoy the games. The alternative relationship only happened in Fear Effect 2 and yes, they made a huge deal out of it, something I expect to address when I review the sequel.

Still, thank you for your opinion, I'm always glad to hear feedback, in the end my reviews are just my personal opinions, so I'm always glad to hear different views ^^

St1ka 3

Postby HisDivineShadow » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:03 pm

The games we enjoy are, of course, always a matter of personal taste but when it comes to annoying gameplay decisions, poor controls and similarly related issues I'll give even games I otherwise love a hard time.

Both Fear Effect games are undoubtedly worth playing, that is the bottom line and any honest review like yours which encourage gamers to try them deserves a thumbs up.

If you can get hold of Parasite Eve 1 and the means to play it then I'd recommend it too. If you're in a PAL region (like me) it was/is a bit of pain unless you have a chipped PS. It is a two disc game and the disc swap doesn't include a save point. But with a PS XChange boot disc I did, eventually, manage to get it to work.

I also enjoyed Parasite Eve 2 which whilst much better looking its different, more traditional action/survival horror gameplay style often gets it unfairly criticised. It is not as good as the first game but it is still greatly entertaining if you like this sort of game.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby sasapinjic » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:05 pm

I recomend you to try both Parasite Eve, you can also make lets play of them to, great games, great story, top of the (PSX) art and cut scenes, good customization of equipment and weapons to along , with special powers of our Sexy hero alowes more than one way out of sticky horor situation.
Game is actually made based on Japanese novel and movie which is worth watch AFTER you play game, simply becouse story is better and deper told in game.

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(LightningBoltScumbag)

Postby St1ka » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:50 pm

HisDivineShadow wrote:The games we enjoy are, of course, always a matter of personal taste but when it comes to annoying gameplay decisions, poor controls and similarly related issues I'll give even games I otherwise love a hard time.

Both Fear Effect games are undoubtedly worth playing, that is the bottom line and any honest review like yours which encourage gamers to try them deserves a thumbs up.

If you can get hold of Parasite Eve 1 and the means to play it then I'd recommend it too. If you're in a PAL region (like me) it was/is a bit of pain unless you have a chipped PS. It is a two disc game and the disc swap doesn't include a save point. But with a PS XChange boot disc I did, eventually, manage to get it to work.

I also enjoyed Parasite Eve 2 which whilst much better looking its different, more traditional action/survival horror gameplay style often gets it unfairly criticised. It is not as good as the first game but it is still greatly entertaining if you like this sort of game.

sasapinjic wrote:I recomend you to try both Parasite Eve, you can also make lets play of them to, great games, great story, top of the (PSX) art and cut scenes, good customization of equipment and weapons to along , with special powers of our Sexy hero alowes more than one way out of sticky horor situation.
Game is actually made based on Japanese novel and movie which is worth watch AFTER you play game, simply becouse story is better and deper told in game.

I definitely plan to play both Parasite Eve games some day, but yeah, I'll have to modchip a PS1 so I can import the original game.

St1ka 3

Return to PSX Chat