Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

i don't seem to understand pot twist on ps1

Discuss Everything Related to the PlayStation 1 Here!

i don't seem to understand pot twist on ps1

Postby kingfrog » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:39 pm

sorry guy i am super lost i have a learning problem can you guys cheack out video and help i seen people helping with videos but cant seem to get it to work sorry about the bother here is a video showing the problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE4lMI9aBhQ&t=2s

kingfrog 2

Re: i don't seem to understand pot twist on ps1

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:34 pm

Did you make that video yourself LOL?
Myself I would not turn the pot because once you do you may never get it back to the sweet spot. Like I said I mark it and only if absolutely necessary turn it up only slightly and that's all I do.
Where did you get that laser assembly. When you buy your laser assembly you want to always buy new and from a decent source. The pot should already be set correctly when you receive it.
I while back I was messing with a pot on a ps2 and I turned it up too high as I said after 15 minutes or so it would stop working completely. So you might try turning it down...
But that might also happen because your laser is crap quality...
It's a frustrating thing to deal with...

Last edited by Dildo_Schwaggins on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dildo_Schwaggins 5

Postby kingfrog » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:37 pm

Dildo_Schwaggins wrote:Did you make that video yourself LOL?
Myself I would not turn the pot because once you do you may never get it back to the sweet spot. Like I said I mark it and only if absolutely necessary turn it up only slightly and that's all I do.
Where did you get that laser assembly. When you buy your laser assembly you want to always buy new and from a decent source. The pot should already be set correctly when you recieve it.
I while back I was messing with a pot on a ps2 and I turned it up too high as I said after 15 minutes or so it would stop working completely. But that might also happen because your laser is crap quality... So you might try turning it down...
It's a frustrating thing...

well bro i was stupid and did not know i guest i am fucked did it two of my ps1

kingfrog 2

Postby rawman024 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:44 pm

If i remember right you shouldn't go below ~.800 ohms if you do you run the risk of burning out your laser, values may vary slightly depending on you laser assembly. The lower the reading the more power is going to the laser. So you may or may not have fried your laser at the setting that you show in the video. May be a stupid question but you do have a modded ps1 correct as i see you trying to load a burned disc.

My systems
Spoiler:
PC: amd-fx 8370 with 2 rx-480 radeon graphics cards
orig xbox softmodded with 2 tb hdd replaced clock capacitor with battery (built several for family members)
ps2 slim
2x ps2 phat with free hdboot 1 sata 1 pata (built several for family members)
ps1
ps1 hardmodded
original nes
rawman024 3

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:50 pm

Then at this point I would try googling "recommended ps1 potentiometer settings" and try to set it to that resistance. Once you get it at that resistance, mark it at 12 o clock position, and then try some games. If it stutters or skips on movies that is a sign it needs to be turned up. If it stops working after a while, that is a sign it needs to be turned down.

Like I said you could try and turn it down a bit, because it sounds like it is too high from the video.

By turned down I am talking about turning to the left. This will increase the resistance and decrease the power going to your laser I believe.
Turning to the right (clockwise) is the opposite, it will decrease resistance and increase power.

So when I say turn it down I am talking about the power to the laser meaning turn it to the left (counter-clockwise)

Last edited by Dildo_Schwaggins on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dildo_Schwaggins 5

Postby kingfrog » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:02 pm

rawman024 wrote:If i remember right you shouldn't go below ~.800 ohms if you do you run the risk of burning out your laser, values may vary slightly depending on you laser assembly. The lower the reading the more power is going to the laser. So you may or may not have fried your laser at the setting that you show in the video. May be a stupid question but you do have a modded ps1 correct as i see you trying to load a burned disc.
yes i installed mm3 chip on all my ps1s

kingfrog 2

Postby kingfrog » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:04 pm

Dildo_Schwaggins wrote:Then at this point I would try googling "recommended ps1 potentiometer settings" and try to set it to that resistance. Once you get it at that resistance, mark it at 12 o clock position, and then try some games. If it stutters or skips on movies that is a sign it needs to be turned up. If it stops working after a while, that is a sign it needs to be turned down.

Like I said you could try and turn it down a bit, because it sounds like it is too high from the video.

By turned down I am talking about turning to the left. This will increase the resistance and decrease the power going to your laser I believe.
Turning to the right (clockwise) is the opposite, it will decrease resistance and increase power.

So when I say turn it down I am talking about the power to the laser meaning turn it to the left (counter-clockwise)

ok thanks bro

kingfrog 2

Return to PSX Chat