Home
Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

PSX RESOLUTION

Discuss Everything Related to the PlayStation 1 Here!

PSX RESOLUTION

Postby stelios » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:24 pm

Just found a ps1,and I just cant get used to the resolution of it.Any way to play at-least 360p-480p?

stelios 2

Re: PSX RESOLUTION

Postby CBThatGuy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:38 pm

The default resolution of the Playstation is 480i. If you are playing on a newer TV, you can try using an upscaler box, but not sure what else can be done for you on the default hardware.

Atari 2600
NES, SNES (Everdrive), SupaBoy, Wii (softmod), WiiU
Sega Nomad, Sega Dreamcast
Playstation 1 (chipped), 2 (HDLoader), 3 & 4
Xbox (Xecuter 3) & Xbox 360 (drive mod)
Game Boy Color, PSP (CFW) & DS (Acekard2i), 3DS (modded)
Turbografx 16 (Everdrive)
CBThatGuy 4

Postby Sabkahn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Most 3D PS1 games run in 240p, the 480i mode is usualy only used in 2D games or for menus in 3D games (Silent Hill had these mixed modes IIRC)

With native PS1 Hardware you are out of luck with improvements, even the best upscaler will do nothing for you. On PS2 and PS3 Systems you can at least add a Texture filter that smooths out the textures, especialy late games like Ridge Racer 4 can look really good with that filter enabled.

For Tekken 3, MGS and Gran Turismo 2 you could use the Bleemcast emulator on the Dreamcast, this solution runs those 3 games at either 480i or 480p depending on what video cable you use on your DC. In addition to the higher resolution you also get filtered textures.

Other than that you can pretty much only use PC emulators to enhance everything about PS1 games, as long as your System can handle it. Wipeout 3 in Widescreen looks insane with the right settings at high resolutions and could easily pass as a modern Indie release.

Sabkahn 4

Postby wakinafuf » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:04 pm

stelios wrote:Just found a ps1,and I just cant get used to the resolution of it.Any way to play at-least 360p-480p?

you made me laugh here :lol:

My actual BlackList : Electronic Arts, Activision, Ubisoft, Blizzard, Capcom,Konami, Square-Enix, Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple, Sony.

Systems i own : Atari 2600, Amstrad 464 (cassette)/6128, Sufami/Famicom, NES, Master System I/II, Genesis I/II, Amiga 500/1000, Gameboy, Sufami Turbo, SNES, Gameboy Color, Mega-CD, Panasonic 3DO, Philips CD-I, Atari Jaguar, Neo-Geo, Nec PC-Engine/TurboGraphX 16, Playstation/PS-One, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Wonderswan, PS2 fat'n slim.

systems newly aquired : Commodore SX 64
wakinafuf 5

Custom Title: scourge of the retards

Postby stelios » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:53 pm

Yeah and not only that.All retro gamers know that playing old consoles on modern tv's is disgusting.And I see a lot of youtube videos with people playing on modern tv's perfectly fine.And I dont have the space to have an old CRT.So,how do they do it?

stelios 2

Postby ZX81v2 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:14 pm

4K Atari 2600 FTW !!

PS2 (Phat) + Network Adapter + SATA Bridge + 2TB HDD = Insanity+1 !
Wanna Know More > theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=49420&hilit=+sata

FreeMCBoot Installer - OPL 0.8/9 + HDL0.8c
Game Compatibility Checker. WinHIIP User
ZX81v2's MAME/ARCADE Thread Here
FreeMCBoot Install Service "UK" Thread HERE
MY PS2 OPL 0.8 HDD Game Compatibility List Click Here 100% Safe

Latest MESS/MAME Roms : Retroroms.info < NEW SITE !

ImageImageImageImage

If you are/WERE a PS2 Developer please check PS2Home out !
Designed & (C)2013-2017 by ZX81v2
ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby Sabkahn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:32 pm

ZX81v2 wrote:4K Atari 2600 FTW !!

You haven´t really seen pure awesomeness until you played Pong in 12K!

Sabkahn 4

Postby psydefx » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:50 pm

stelios wrote:Yeah and not only that.All retro gamers know that playing old consoles on modern tv's is disgusting.And I see a lot of youtube videos with people playing on modern tv's perfectly fine.And I dont have the space to have an old CRT.So,how do they do it?

for hdtvs framemeister/ossc and alot of people have pvms. getting expensive to be a retro gamer

psydefx 5

Postby XamX » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:00 pm

emulate or just deal with it

XamX 6

Postby NoMention » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:22 pm

For any older console, try to go RGB if possible. If you can do this then going RGB to HDMI or VGA is pretty easy. If you cannot get RGB, see if the console will output in scart format. Going scart to HDMI is also pretty easy. You’re looking at $25 maybe for the converter box. If you are looking for better imaging features then you need much more expensive external hardware like scalers/line doublers. At that point, just get a RetroPie and play that way with the emulators graphic filters/improvements. The Pi has HDMI output. Playing older consoles in 480p/720p look great. 1080p can cause some lag depending on the console/game.

NoMention 4

Postby Sabkahn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:47 pm

NoMention wrote:If you cannot get RGB, see if the console will output in scart format.

SCART is NOT a A/V Format, it is just a connector. Because it´s Pinout it is capable of Carrying Composite and because of the Original intention back in the 70´s / early 80´s it is RGB capable. SCART also supported fairly advanced features, i.e. a VCR could turn on your TV and put it into a letterbox or widescreen mode. In modern days it is mainly a fairly convienent way to connect old consoles via RGB, however if you are not using it for RGB you essentialy got yourself just a very chunky Composite connector. OP wouldn´t get any benefit from that.

Sabkahn 4

Postby HisDivineShadow » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:53 pm

RGB via SCART is indeed the best PQ you'll get out of a PS/PSOne but it is still max SD 480i 60Hz (NTSC)/576i 50Hz (PAL) and, as others have said, it is sometimes less depending on the game.

In almost all cases you'll want the NTSC version because the PAL ports of many PS/PSOne and PS2 games were often done on the cheap ie. not PAL optimised.

If you haven't a SCART RGB capable TV the next best PQ solution using a PS/PSOne is S-Video.

With its backwards compatibility the PS2 can give noticeably improved PQ in some cases but that can also depend on the game and even the PS2 version being used. With a PS2 you can of course use Component which all but matches RGB SCART PQ but your TV does have to support PS/PSOne game resolutions via Component. I know from posts on various forums that is not always the case.

As XamX suggests the best PQ you'll see from any PS/PSOne game is in emulation on the PC and, whilst that can bring up a whole load of other problems, in that respect you won't see anything better.

HisDivineShadow 9

Postby Mute » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:20 am

ZX81v2 wrote:4K Atari 2600 FTW !!

8K TV: Everything You Need To Know. Is It Time to Upgrade?

I got an original ps1 running on a 27" Insignia lcd Tv with the original composite cables hooked up to a composite to hdmi converter..
The tv automatically upscales to 480i and with the converter it upscales to 720p... and the games look real good..almost emulator quality...
I know i can get even better quality..1080p with a scart cable to hdmi, converter, (i have a scart to hdmi converter for my genesis, i just needed the scart cable for my ps1/2..(which i just ordered)

Your ps1 can look as good as emulation, and with the added bonus of accurate sound and gameplay :D

:lovetiz:

I feel like some people would rather "socially network" and potentially get the wrong answer slowly, rather than just use google and get the right answer immediately.
Mute 4

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:36 am

Yeah it looks awful on large LCD.

What I do is play on 20" crt tv and I am happy with how it looks. It's what it's designed for. Check craigslist.

The other choice is of course emulator

upscaling won't process the 3d therefore you will just have very blocky 480i. You need a computer/emulator to process the 3d models.

in addition to that upscalers will blur the image, introduce input and display lag, and other crap

Dildo_Schwaggins 4

Postby Liamh1982 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:05 am

Dildo_Schwaggins wrote:in addition to that upscalers will blur the image, introduce input and display lag, and other crap

That's a good point - unless you're willing to pay outrageous prices to go with a Framemeister, any TV built in the last 5-10 years or so (as long as it has the available connections) will probably handle a 240p/480i signal better than an average external upscaler.

Between 2010 and 2014, I had a Sanyo flatscreen that I had no complaints about how it handled retro stuff - little or no discernible input lag, no motion blur or other artifacting and low resolutions still looked crisp. I still mourn the day it broke.

I do have a CRT but it's started suffering myriad issues and finding a suitable replacement at a good price is proving EXTREMELY difficult.

Current consoles:
Spoiler:

2DS
Atari 2600
3 x Dreamcast
DSi
GB Pocket
GB Color
GBA
2 x GBA SP
GB Micro
3 x GameCube
2 x Game Gear
Jaguar
Lynx
Master System
Mega CD
2 x Mega Drive I
Mega Drive II
N64
Neo Geo Pocket Color
NES (lockout disabled)
PS1 (chipped)
2 x PS2
PS3
2 x PSP-1000 (CFW 6.60 Pro-C)
PSP Go (LCFW 6.60 Pro-C)
Saturn (swap trick ready)
SNES
TurboGrafx
Wii (softmodded)
Xbox
Xbox 360
Liamh1982 5

Custom Title: Built for comfort, not for speed...

Postby duwen » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:33 am

I use rgb scart for my PSX outputting on a two-year-old 49" 4k Sony Bravia and it looks... err.. 'ok' - certainly better than composite output to any type of screen. I use an rgb scart output for all my cart systems, along with the PSX, NeoGeo CD and Gamecube (everything else is either component or hdmi, except the Dreamcast which uses the Akura VGA-to-hdmi box). The Bravia's gamemode settings are really good with a minimal (barely noticeable) amount of lag introduced using its scart connection and internal upscaling.
Using the same TV, PS1 games look even better via my PS2 connected via component cables. The increase in quality from PSX on PS2 via component to running PSX on my PS3 outputting via HDMI is negligible, and at this point it just comes down to personal preference and convenience - I prefer the PS2.

Last edited by duwen on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
duwen 3

Custom Title: 絶対領域

Postby sasapinjic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:34 am

People here dint yet go full LCD , we are mostly CRT nation , we have so many good and cheap CRT around here that we can export them in EU !

Hey , thats idea for money making ! :lol:

I have 4 in my house .They are all over 10 years old and they still work great . 8-)

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(Penninless Scumbag)

Postby ThruMy4Eyes » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:25 pm

PS1 runs predominately in 240p. Either you gotta get used to that and deal with it,
or grab an old CRT TV off Craigslist for free and play the games the way they were meant to be displayed.
Side note: a CRT will allow you to play the sweet light gun games too, like Time Crisis, Point Blank, Elemental Gearbolt, Project Horned Owl, etc. Can't do that on an LCD.

ThruMy4Eyes 3

Re: PSX RESOLUTION fixed

Postby stelios » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Guys found a really good alternative about my proble with my ps1 resolution.
I connected my composite video on scart, and then i bought an amzing SCART to HDMI converter.
It Plays almost like an emulator!I love this thing!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCART-To-HDMI- ... SwUDlan86T

stelios 2

Return to PSX Chat