Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

Damon PS2 ain't shit

PSX, PS2 and PSP Emulation discussion

Damon PS2 ain't shit

Postby TheOmikronNomadSoul » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:35 pm

Hey I just wanted to share some news about a recent emulator called "DamonPS2" for Android. it is an illegal port of PCSX2 for Android. While it does play games, it's using code from PCSX2.

Sharing this just to give people a heads up that these guy's are just scamming people and stealing the code that the PCSX team worked hard at doing and selling it as their own. Assholes....

Here's is what the PCSX team had to say!
Spoiler:
Code: Select all
Hello all! We hope you had a Happy New Year. The PCSX2 team hopes to continue making further progress throughout 2018 and into 2019! However, today we are writing to both you and the emulation/open-source community on a more serious matter.

Introduction and Background Information
You may have heard from various sources that a second PS2 emulator for Android was seen on the Google Play Store called DamonPS2. Initially, we were very happy to learn that a new developer had taken the initiative to begin work on a new PS2 emulator for a mobile platform; a daunting task in itself that we applaud them for. After further investigation however, we learned that there were rather striking resemblances to PCSX2 contained in the new emulator.

The first piece of evidence that we learned was that the GameIndex.dbf file distributed with the emulator (screenshot) contained patches that were specific to PCSX2, and furthermore would not work elsewhere. We were also able to find matching CDVD strings using a text editor, such as the message returned by the PCSX2 console when an PSX/PSone disc is inserted. Further evidence included a matching file structure and graphical output that mirrors GSdx.

In response to this evidence, we contacted the developer to notify them about their violation of the GNU General Public License which PCSX2 is protected under, since by all evidence they are using PCSX2 code without releasing the source code and we gave them a time frame in which to correct this issue. We hoped the issue could be resolved amicably for both projects. However the developer would go on to claim that they did not steal the PCSX2 source code, yet they offered us an extortionate sum of money to stay silent, which as you can assert we did not accept. In addition, they said that they would become open-source once the emulator reached 80 million downloads (not very realistic...). In their final email to us (which we did not respond back to) the developers wanted to further "bargain" by setting up a licensing scheme; which we would not accept under any circumstances regardless.

Final Actions and Closing Comments
As a result of the circumstances and the time frame lapsing, the PCSX2 Team submitted a DMCA takedown for the "DamonPS2" app on the Google Play Store. The developer took down the emulator before the DMCA had a chance to go through as they would have been notified about the DMCA and probably wanted to avoid being banned from the Google Play Store, citing some reason to their users about the description being bad, something which we've never seen Google remove an app for. We will monitor the situation and see what happens when the developer returns the app to the store.

To further clarify any confusion you may have about this matter, our actions were not done for any sort of personal/reputable gain or out of spite. The PCSX2 team has always encouraged new developments to take place whether it be inside a pull request or outside of the repository as we've seen here. Ultimately, the developer's failure to comply with the GNU General Public License in a reasonable time-frame left the team with no choice but to take the appropriate actions. We would like to take this moment to send our sincerest thanks to the community for their wonderful support over the past 15 years!

-The PCSX2 team

TheOmikronNomadSoul 7

Custom Title: I'm Just trying to "Lion" The Mood

Re: Damon PS2 ain't shit

Postby ZX81v2 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:38 pm

Code Lamers !!! Bet they did their homework via Copy n Paste...

PS2 (Phat) + Network Adapter + SATA Bridge + 2TB HDD = Insanity+1 !
Wanna Know More > theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=49420&hilit=+sata

FreeMCBoot Installer - OPL 0.8/9 + HDL0.8c
Game Compatibility Checker. WinHIIP User
ZX81v2's MAME/ARCADE Thread Here
FreeMCBoot Install Service "UK" Thread HERE
MY PS2 OPL 0.8 HDD Game Compatibility List Click Here 100% Safe

Latest MESS/MAME Roms : Retroroms.info < NEW SITE !

ImageImageImageImage

If you are/WERE a PS2 Developer please check PS2Home out !
Designed & (C)2013-2017 by ZX81v2
ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby SENSENuii » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:18 am

If it works who cares, PCSX2 won't port it so let someone else.

Our Response
Spoiler:
To bring everyone a good news! ! ! As DamonPS2 users will be more than 300,000, in order to celebrate this great victory. We will launch both the paid and free version of DamonPS2 in less than a month. So that everyone can play for free PS2 emulator on Android phones!!!!

The future, we will have more features improvements, including improved read-write memory card function (used to save \ load games).And less BUG. And Japanese version, Korean version, Spanish version, Portuguese version!

Some recent comments about DamonPS2 include some saying that DamonPS2's source code comes from other PS2 simulators. We solemnly declare. We have 100% copyright to the source code of DamonPS2, and our legitimacy has been officially certified by Google Play!

Google Play has officially denied DMCA requests for DamonPS2 from other developers (including developers such as PCSX2) via email. After DamonPS2's development team submitted a copyright certificate issued by the Chinese government to Google Play, Google endorsed the legitimacy of the legal document and the legitimacy of the DamonPS2 APP, and as a result, Google rejected its DMCA requests from other developers. You know, China not only Alibaba and Tencent the world's top Internet companies, as well as the world's top and fastest PS2 emulator, DamonPS2 !!!!!!

DamonPS2 is now removed by Google because Google Play's page description is not legal, not due to a problem with the legitimacy of the DamonPS2 app. We referenced some PS2 game titles on the Google Play page. The copyright owner of these game titles considers us infringing. So, next time we release DamonPS2 to Google Play, we'll correct this error.

On Android, DamonPS2 is the world's fastest PS2 emulator, 10x ~ 30x faster than other Android-based PS2 emulators. In the future, we will also improve the performance of DamonPS2 2x ~ 10x! ! !

Our slogan is: "user first"! Free version coming soon !!!!!!!!!

SENSENuii Newbie

Postby TheOmikronNomadSoul » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:47 am

I care. Why the hell should they make money off of PCSX2's hard work. If you really want PS2 for Android, then make one.

You a shill or something btw? I don't really need to read a response from a bunch of scammers who can't be bothered to put effort into actually making something themselves.

Here's to hoping they get what's coming to em :cheers:

TheOmikronNomadSoul 7

Custom Title: I'm Just trying to "Lion" The Mood

Postby SENSENuii » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:42 pm

A shill? No I'm just the graphic artist behind the logo for DamonPS2.

So you think that it should be a free app then?

SENSENuii Newbie

Postby ZX81v2 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:08 pm

beings as it's using ripped code and no credit to the REAL authors, then yeah.

PS2 (Phat) + Network Adapter + SATA Bridge + 2TB HDD = Insanity+1 !
Wanna Know More > theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=49420&hilit=+sata

FreeMCBoot Installer - OPL 0.8/9 + HDL0.8c
Game Compatibility Checker. WinHIIP User
ZX81v2's MAME/ARCADE Thread Here
FreeMCBoot Install Service "UK" Thread HERE
MY PS2 OPL 0.8 HDD Game Compatibility List Click Here 100% Safe

Latest MESS/MAME Roms : Retroroms.info < NEW SITE !

ImageImageImageImage

If you are/WERE a PS2 Developer please check PS2Home out !
Designed & (C)2013-2017 by ZX81v2
ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Postby Biggsy666 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:38 pm

SENSENuii wrote:A shill? No I'm just the graphic artist behind the logo for DamonPS2.

So you think that it should be a free app then?

Wait, you did your own logo :lol:

My Systems
Spoiler:
Acorn Electron
CPC464
C64
ZX Spectrum +2
Atari 2600
NES & Famicom w/ FDS
SNES & Super Famicom
N64 1 x PAL, 1 x NTSC-J
Gamecube x2 Xeno
Wii x2 softmod
Master System
Mega Drive MKI RGB w/switches & MKII
Saturn
Dreamcast
PS1 Audiophile, 3 chipped & 1 slim w/screen
PS2 1 fat silver with FMCB/120gb HDD & 1 slim w/screen
PS3 1 fat, 1 slim
Xbox (soft mod 200gb & 1 Crystal hard mod 120gb)
Xbox 360
PSP x2 CFW
GameGear
Wonderswan
N-Gage & N-Gage QD
Gameboy, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, 2x GB Macro
Nintendo DS, DSL, DSi & 3DS

My custom Console Projects
Biggsy666 9

Custom Title: The Reverend

Postby CBThatGuy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:41 pm

If they essentially made a port of PCSX2, then they should have at least contacted the team behind it beforehand. Obviously if they just repurposed code, then it's stupid to think that no one would find out where it originally came from.

I've reached out to people in the past asking if I could adapt their work for other purposes and usually got a warm response and permission to try it out.

Atari 2600
Nintendo, Super Nintendo w/ Everdrive, Wii (softmod)
Sega Nomad, Sega Dreamcast
Playstation 1 (chipped), 2 (HDLoader), 3 & 4
Xbox (Xecuter 3) & Xbox 360 (drive mod)
Game Boy Color, PSP (CFW) & DS (Acekard2i), 3DS (modded)
Turbografx 16 (Everdrive)
CBThatGuy 3

Return to Emulation