Downloads
Community
Submit
Marketplace

ps2mame mario bros. samples?

PSX, PS2 and PSP Emulation discussion

ps2mame mario bros. samples?

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:07 pm

Mario Bros. is my favorite arcade game ever, and I am trying to get it to work on my ps2 slim with ps2mame. I know all about how it is old, etc. The problem is the game, like donkey kong, requires (sound) samples and I cannot get them to work on PS2. I tried putting the sound samples on dvd and it didnt work. Possibly I can put the sound samples on the memory card and get them to work?

Already I have got the game working with the Wii and on PC in mame .119 , I just would love to play it on my crt from my Ps2 in PS2mame, working 100%, it would be so awesome, thanks

Dildo_Schwaggins 5

Re: ps2mame mario bros. samples?

Postby sasapinjic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:23 pm

Here, all mario games are here in this ISO and all work well except that 3D one (7stars something in name):

http://theisozone.com/downloads/playsta ... 0-part-12/

sasapinjic 13

Custom Title: Gafgarion(Penninless Scumbag)

Postby Jodo901 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:37 pm

I know very little about EMU on the PS2, however I do know a bit about M.A.M.E.
In your mame folder there should be a "samples" folder with the zipped archives of samples with the same name as the zip for the game which you have in the "roms" folder. If there isn't a "samples" folder you can create one and add the game sample archives to them.
Like M.A.M.E. roms these samples are built on what version of mame you are running. Very early versions used .sam files, but then they switched to .wav files (within the archive). You most likely need .wav samples not the old .sam ones.
It's possible they are missing or in the wrong place and that's why the game works but there is no sound.
Here's a great site for samples if you need them - http://samples.mameworld.info/
The "mario" samples are under Misfit Samples.

I have always been here
Jodo901 9

Postby Dildo_Schwaggins » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:24 am

Thanks I tried that ISO and it is missing some sound effects notably when mario runs but otherwise it does work. The sound effects that are missing are the samples. I am familiar with MAME and yes there are usually directories in the mame folder and i tried making an ISO with samples directory on the root folder, in the roms folder, and also in the mario folder and it did not work (no samples played). I also put them on the iso in zip format in all 3 places. For example on the Wii using Mame2000 the samples folder had to go in the "roms" folder to work. It may not be possible on PS2 to get it working with all sound effects. But what I know about MAME is that all ports are similar, and the functionality probably exists, it's just not implemented correctly. Probably only the guy who made ps2mame knows the answer, if it's possible and what directory. I was thinking I could try to copy the samples directory to the memory card and see if that works but it's a long shot. Yes the samples I have are from that site

Its been a lot of work to get mario bros working on my pc & wii because as you may know sample support was dropped after .121 and now games like mario and donkey kong sound like utter crap that is part of the reason I still use .119 ,,, also .119 supports online play which is kind of fun but glitchy and I only tried it a couple times. It is becoming very hard to find romsets for the older mame's

ps2 mame is very old .037b16 and slow but it is probably fast enough to run mario bros I think. Hmm perhaps it needs the .sam files if it is that old of mame build

EDIT - I found a site where he says no ones been able to get the samples to play on ps2mame, so its probably not possible, also samples changed to WAV format at v .035 so they are in correct format

Dildo_Schwaggins 5

Postby ZX81v2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:16 pm

PS2 MAME is exactly what it says on the tin... (Well document anyway)
PROOF OF CONCEPT MAME 0.5

This is what it is as it is... Support for art n such don't exist and I doubt samples will be eather

ZX81v2 Moderator

Custom Title: R Tape Loading Err0r

Return to Emulation